Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

*sniff*
*folds arms under breasts*

Good, good, much better. Now you need a soliloquy about your breasts and how they compare to every other woman's breasts, make it like a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*67 page spanking montage*

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Still better than tolkein tho

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good, good, much better. Now you need a soliloquy about your breasts and how they compare to every other woman's breasts, make it like a few minutes.

Fifty bucks, same as in town.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Fifty bucks, same as in town.

:wink:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm so glad that about half the text on fandom page for the Brakiri is dedicated to how they reproduce. That's definitely what I needed to know from that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I'm so glad that about half the text on fandom page for the Brakiri is dedicated to how they reproduce. That's definitely what I needed to know from that.

Nerds. Nerds never change

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Babylon 5: Brakiri Sexual Reproduction Fanwiki Page

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In the novel trilogy, it's eventually revealed that

the "tech" that lets the mages do their thing is (unbeknownst to them):

a) ancient Shadow technology given to the mages by Shadow agents,

b) grown from living sentients which kills them gruesomely in the process, and

c) designed to turn its user into an uncontrollable engine of destruction and chaos, so the earliest technomages developed "spells" to divorce their use from the influence of the tech as much as possible and use it in a way that minimizes the drive-you-crazy effect.

When they find this out the mages generally accept that the best thing to happen is they just let the order die out, because ew.

It's been a long time since I read those books, and I may be misremembering, but the inner circle of the Technomages knew that, but the rest did not.

Also, much like how other beings were forced to drive the ships, the Shadows would put a technomage inside of the Z'hadum planetary defense network. The technomage inside it during the show had essentially discovered a bug and choose to exercise it at just the right time to crash the system when Sheridan decided to pull his off stunt there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ultrafilter posted:

They had a 500-word quota, and half of what we know about the Brakiri is that they're called the Brakiri.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

You guys seriously don't think that ren fest geeks given the technology would be like that?

So Marcus is a theatre geek with special forces training and Technomages are ren faire geeks with nanotech access.

That tracks.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
In other news, having finished a complete watch for the first time and feeling an itch for more, I went through all the movies (mostly good) and Crusade (mostly bad) and now I’m on another rewatch. Just finished The War Prayer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm apprehensive about a Crusade rewatch since I mostly liked it the first time around but I'm not sure Peter Woodward and Captain Lumbergh can prop it up this time...

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Small White Dragon posted:

It's been a long time since I read those books, and I may be misremembering, but the inner circle of the Technomages knew that, but the rest did not.

Also, much like how other beings were forced to drive the ships, the Shadows would put a technomage inside of the Z'hadum planetary defense network. The technomage inside it during the show had essentially discovered a bug and choose to exercise it at just the right time to crash the system when Sheridan decided to pull his off stunt there.

See, this sort of poo poo is why I can never get behind the whole "The Vorlons were just as bad as the Shadows" thing. You don't see them going around grinding up sentients to make their ships or forcing sobbing captives to be their wetware CPUs. The Vorlons are dicks but the Shadows were actively malicious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Polaron posted:

See, this sort of poo poo is why I can never get behind the whole "The Vorlons were just as bad as the Shadows" thing. You don't see them going around grinding up sentients to make their ships or forcing sobbing captives to be their wetware CPUs. The Vorlons are dicks but the Shadows were actively malicious.

But on the other hand, the Shadows show at least some intent of making the younger races grow through conflict while the Vorlons just want the younger races to do as they're told. So the question becomes: which is worse, barbarism or fascism?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Polaron posted:

They have different methods to be sure, and the Vorlons are a lot less bloodthirsty, but they are still huge jerks. Which situation would be worse - someone who capriciously kills the weakest ants in the colony, or someone who manipulates them to be seen as a god and bend them to their will? Both are abhorrent, but one involves less loss of life. Some people may see the former as better since, the ones left are stronger.

I'm sure I mentioned before but on Usenet about the beginning of S3 when the show was airing, the conversation veered into speculation about why the Shadows do what they do. JMS predicted that when the true motives of both sides were revealed, about 30% of the viewing audience would actually side with the Shadows. Everyone said that there is no way anyone would agree with the Shadows. And then lo and behold, after the season ended, it was drat near 30% of the posters actually did agree with the Shadows' philosophy.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 19, 2020

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
S4 spoilers: The Vorlons are the ones who started destroying planets to eradicate any trace of Shadow influence. The Shadows start retaliating because they clearly can’t be seen as incapable of the same feat, but they must be miserable about it because it undermines their philosophy. From the Vorlon perspective, destroying an inhabited planet with billions of people to kill one Shadow-tainted person is justified.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Narsham posted:

S4 spoilers: The Vorlons are the ones who started destroying planets to eradicate any trace of Shadow influence. The Shadows start retaliating because they clearly can’t be seen as incapable of the same feat, but they must be miserable about it because it undermines their philosophy. From the Vorlon perspective, destroying an inhabited planet with billions of people to kill one Shadow-tainted person is justified.

Sure, but The Shadows started moving directly and openly after the attack on Za'Ha'Dum, which they clearly saw as influenced by the Vorlons (and the White Star has Vorlon tech). The Vorlons went fairly insane after Kosh was killed. That's not really either sides' normal MO and they just went WHY YOU THROW CHIP? loving COME ON THEN!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not sure why we need to spoiler tag this but I won't be a dick by accident

The Vorlons have no qualms about genetically modifying and practically enslaving individuals to serve them and their needs (eg Sebastian, Lyta) and modifying entire species to naturally view them as divine and a turning a significant subset into living weapons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also I don't think Vorlons being bad means Shadows are good. They're both dicks. Hence why they need to get the hell out of our galaxy, both of you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought the first to break the pact were the Vorlons, for organizing the first Shadow war to get the Shadows out of the picture. And then once again, the Vorlons wanted to keep their involvement in the new Shadow war secret until Kosh was moved by his own empathy.

Polaron posted:

We see at least one human that the Vorlons abducted for their own purposes, and it's not implausible for the Vorlons' organic technology to have similar basis.

I always saw the Technomage messing with Londo as more just messing with the circuitry and devices that were already there in his room, but if he was using an ancient shadow artifact, that would definitely qualify as mystic-enough. Further splitting the Shadows and Vorlons on the basis of what kind of technology they use is also interesting, although the dichotomy of organic vs. inorganic technology is one of those silly sci-fi distinctions that has no bearing on the real world.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

IIRC the pact was just that the Vorlons and Shadows wouldn't attack each other directly. It's fine for the Vorlons to organize the younger races as long as they don't fire any shots.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ultrafilter posted:

IIRC the pact was just that the Vorlons and Shadows wouldn't attack each other directly. It's fine for the Vorlons to organize the younger races as long as they don't fire any shots.

Yeah, that's the whole point. The Vorlons would organize and try to build alliances and societies that worked together directed by authority, and the Shadows would try to create chaotic environments where their preferred "strong rise to the top" client races would defeat the Vorlon clients.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Y'all ranting about technomages yet y'all seemed to like the ubertech healing guillotine

ps
vorlons vs shadows neither are 'good' or 'bad' per se. They represent two polar opposite approaches to racial development for same goal. Vorlons are cooperative evolutionary approach and shadows are a conflictory (is that even a word?) competitive 'survival of the fittest' approach. It was said almost straight in some Loriel-Sheridan convo afair
both vorlons and shadow lack any sense of morals and other kinds of philosophical fast food. They will do what it takes to do their thing. What are even morals if you are eternal and immortal and you have poor funny talking idiotic animals running around you biting each other. They will loving kill each other for a piece of bread, why care. You have a set goal to achieve, you use all possible resources period.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 19, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Y'all ranting about technomages yet y'all seemed to like the ubertech healing guillotine

That's because Rosen's machine was in itself neither good nor bad; it was the use you chose to put it to. Sure, you could go full Deathwalker and crank it up to full, taking one life to save another. But you could cure a wound with a bit of energy that would be replenished with time - and in fact that's what Rosen's records said it was used for; corporal punishment, not capital - or you could fix a more serious wound through several contributing volunteers.

I just remembered the other thing I noticed in The Quality of Mercy: Rosen was struck off for abusing stims, trying to do more when she should have tried to do better. Franklin really doesn't learn from the mistakes of others, does he?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

That's because Rosen's machine was in itself neither good nor bad; it was the use you chose to put it to. Sure, you could go full Deathwalker and crank it up to full, taking one life to save another. But you could cure a wound with a bit of energy that would be replenished with time - and in fact that's what Rosen's records said it was used for; corporal punishment, not capital - or you could fix a more serious wound through several contributing volunteers.

Is using the machine as a form of capital punishment better or worse than the Death of Personality approach Earth takes? Discuss.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Tsaedje posted:

Not sure why we need to spoiler tag this but I won't be a dick by accident

In the past new watchers would find their way to Sigma 957 and join us and we would watch and marvel. Now the younger races have founded their own society but we still keep traditions here.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Doctor Zero posted:

In the past new watchers would find their way to Sigma 957 and join us and we would watch and marvel. Now the younger races have founded their own society but we still keep traditions here.

ZOG

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Now that aged poorly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now that aged poorly.

At some point you just have to accept a coincidence and move on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

At some point you just have to accept a coincidence and move on.

When it comes to a conspiracy theory, you NEVER ACCEPT A COINCIDENCE

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When it comes to a conspiracy theory, you NEVER ACCEPT A COINCIDENCE

You used the letter after g twice in your post, friend.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Midjack posted:

You used the letter after g twice in your post, friend.

Who told you to say that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: I went full eye-in-pyramid with the AA but this ain't the thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

Edit: I went full eye-in-pyramid with the AA but this ain't the thread.

PM me :wink:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
From the Blind Watch thread:

The_Doctor posted:

S2ep5 - The Long Dark

Franklin, please stop stroking your patients. He did it before in another episode, and it skeeved me out a little there, too. I get it’s meant to look reassuring, but it just comes across as creepy. Oh, and he just went full creep there with the kiss. Dude, her husband just died and she’s your patient!
[...]
The episode itself was mostly good (aside from a few missteps like Franklin’s bedside manner and the ease with which the creature was dispatched -“We can’t kill it!” “Just shoot harder!”) but the implications it helps set up for the bigger picture are some excellent scene-setting. Ivanova’s in the right here with her statement of being very scared. Something big and ancient has woken up.

Angry Salami posted:

There's always been arguments in geek circles that Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was ripping off Babylon 5. For some reason, none of them ever hinge on the particularly damning evidence that both Dr. Franklin and Dr. Bashir have the same terrible medical ethics.
I keep trying to figure out how to ask why Franklin's bedside manner being is a mistake on the part of the show. Isn't that the episode where the woman's alibi, offered by Franklin, is that she was in his quarters that night? Or was that a different time Franklin got too close to a patient? (I just remember Garibaldi's amazing "You spend the night with all of your patients, doc?", not which episode it was in.)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You know I never thought about how both doctors are horndogs and really have a hard time with the whole doctor/patient relationship thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

Is using the machine as a form of capital punishment better or worse than the Death of Personality approach Earth takes? Discuss.

Worse. Death of personality is reversible.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Re: stephen franklin in the Long Dark

people seem to forget that he initiates a kiss and then goes "no no no we can't do this" like it's her fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jedit posted:

That's because Rosen's machine was in itself neither good nor bad; it was the use you chose to put it to. Sure, you could go full Deathwalker and crank it up to full, taking one life to save another. But you could cure a wound with a bit of energy that would be replenished with time - and in fact that's what Rosen's records said it was used for; corporal punishment, not capital - or you could fix a more serious wound through several contributing volunteers[/spoiler]
Its a guillotine not a healing device in the first place. The purpose is to restore the damage done by the criminal to the victim.
The only thing we are left wondering is if it restores 'life essence' in 1:1 ratio or the giver loses more than the receiver takes.

Jedit posted:

Worse. Death of personality is reversible.

They both are.
Memory suppression is totally same purpose of making an individual 'restore' his criminal damages in form of a gratuitous work with no memory. The fact that ubertech guillotine can not kill and/or outright revive dead people (spoiler HELLO SUSAN) by sacrificing makes it a even (or maybe even a better?) thing tbqh.
Even if the 'ratio' of life force is close to 0.5:1 they could have applied the 'futurama theorem' to it, keeping everyone alive and later use memory suppression for the case of psychotic maniacs that have to be contained.