Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I finished it a few weeks ago and had a blast, but (late-game spoilers) the anglerfish sequence was just awful; even if you came in knowing the "safe" way past them, it was still a bit trial-and-error to figure it out exactly.

And if you messed up, you had to start all over with the Ash Core, and then the loooooong drift through the dark bramble. Which, after the first time through, became much less tense and more straight-up boring. It seemed odd to have such an unforgiving sequence in a game that revolved around very chill exploration and problem solving.

The concept of the anglerfish and learning the method to get past them was a cool idea, but I hated the implementation. It sucked a lot of the joy out of what was otherwise one of the best games I've played in recent years.

All that said though, this was one of my favorite story-driven games. I'd put it up there with Gone Home, Tacoma, and Return of the Obra-Dinn for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's only a few minutes. You can beat the entire game in 10 minutes.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I need to play the obra din for shure.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cactus posted:

I need to play the obra din for shure.

Yes, you do. It’s really excellent once you start to figure out the mechanics and everything begins to come together and make sense. It’s one of those games I wish I could eternal sunshine out of my brain and play again clean.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

TK-42-1 posted:

[Obra Dinn ] is one of those games I wish I could eternal sunshine out of my brain and play again clean.

Same, along with that tiny-solar-system-time-loop game whose name escapes me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
For the newcomers, a late game hint about Dark Bramble: Keep calm. Suppress your instincts. Be patient.

edit: Ok, I'll change it

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 15, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ymgve posted:

For the newcomers, a late game hint about Dark Bramble:NAW SON

That's not so much a hint as straight-up telling people how to get past one of the only walls in the game...

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 15, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, I would likewise recommend that newcomers definitely not read that.

Some people do find that part frustrating, but unfortunately it's very difficult to give hints for without outright spoiling it. All I can really say is that if you're finding a part of the game frustrating or inconsistent to pull off then there's probably a detail of the mechanics that you're missing.

Note: This advice may not apply to achievements.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That's not a hint, that's literally the entire solution to the puzzle lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I would recommend that anyone who intends to play this be especially careful not to read spoiler text, more so than for most games. The entire experience and value is in making discoveries.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree do not read any spoiler text unless it is in response to something you specifically asked.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

never read spoilers

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I will also add that, especially in this game, just someone mentioned an area you've been to isn't a guarantee that it won't spoil something for you. I finished this game and then a few months later came in this thread and learned I could go somewhere I didn't realize and got some new info for the rumor board. Don't risk ruining this game for yourself, because there's so much to explore and find.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

That's not so much a hint as straight-up telling people how to get past one of the only walls in the game...
You are now preserving the spoiler in your quote FYI

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

TACD posted:

You are now preserving the spoiler in your quote FYI

Fixed!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This just launched on steam with a discount- $16.65 to play one of the best games of this whole generation :toot:

Looking forward to doing it all over again with achievements :D

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

hell yeah time to repurchase this game

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Told a fellow goon:

:v: Too bad I bought it on EGS

me : Same, probably going to buy it again though...

:v: I did everything I could in the game.

:wth:

:v: Even a speed run

:raise:

:v: with melee only

:smugjones: Are you thinking of The Outer Worlds?

:kiddo: um....wait....yes

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

There's a BAFTA webinar on the creation of Outer Wilds in less than an hour from now.

E: That was quite enjoyable and I hope some of you were able to catch it as well!

Telum fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 18, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Got this on Steam today and almost got mad and refunded because I couldn't save and had to get the launch codes twice.

Killed myself in space and now I'm good.

Does it matter that I ignored the NPCs when I had to get the launch codes again? I also didn't do the Zero G cave thing.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 18, 2020

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does it matter that I ignored the NPCs when I had to get the launch codes again? I also didn't do the Zero G cave thing.

Eh, give it about twenty-two minutes and they'll forget you ignored them.

There might be some rumors that are missing in your ship's log if it was on a completely new save file.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zack Ater posted:

There's a BAFTA webinar on the creation of Outer Wilds in less than an hour from now.

E: That was quite enjoyable and I hope some of you were able to catch it as well!

drat, i hope it gets uploaded somewhere

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Got this on Steam today and almost got mad and refunded because I couldn't save and had to get the launch codes twice.

You... might have had some incorrect assumptions about the game.

The most spoiler-free advice I can give is: just play, and don't worry about doing anything "wrong".

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 19, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

What do you mean you had to get the launch codes twice? Like you got to the launch codes but then exited the game before the loop ended? If nothing saved from the first time you played, you might have some info missing from the rumor board, but you don't have to do anything you don't want to.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

What do you mean you had to get the launch codes twice? Like you got to the launch codes but then exited the game before the loop ended? If nothing saved from the first time you played, you might have some info missing from the rumor board, but you don't have to do anything you don't want to.

First time I got the codes, I launched for the first time and the first thing I found was a wormhole that spit me out 30km from my ship. I wasn’t going to take the time to jet pack that distance so I quit out of the menu. None of my progress was saved when I loaded it back up since I didn’t die, so I had to go get the codes again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

First time I got the codes, I launched for the first time and the first thing I found was a wormhole that spit me out 30km from my ship. I wasn’t going to take the time to jet pack that distance so I quit out of the menu. None of my progress was saved when I loaded it back up since I didn’t die, so I had to go get the codes again.

drat dude. You should have explored the space station it spit you out in front of, lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Arrhythmia posted:

drat dude. You should have explored the space station it spit you out in front of, lol.

Yeah this is a pretty thoughtfully designed game and you probably aren't going to ever end up in an annoying, dead-end situation like you thought you were in. If you want to enjoy it my best advice is just to trust that it's going to respect your time and play on

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

My kids got home and I couldn’t play any longer. Didn’t stop because I thought the game hosed me over. Not sure what the design choice is for not saving, but I guess I’ll see.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Look Sir Droids posted:

My kids got home and I couldn’t play any longer. Didn’t stop because I thought the game hosed me over. Not sure what the design choice is for not saving, but I guess I’ll see.

👍 Yeah the structure has yet to be fully revealed, but basically as long as you have like 20 minutes at a time to play you won't have to worry about any save system stuff (and I think normally the game saves all the time and you don't even need 20 minutes, you just have to power your way through the intro stuff first)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Honestly it's probably just that the game doesn't bother to save during the tutorial, and then when you get out into space the game just kind of assumes that you'll die immediately because you do something like land on a planet and then go outside without putting on your suit first. A thing that I definitely did not do, no sir.

I definitely had times when I was playing where I hosed something up and was like "nope, I'm done playing for now" and quit out, and the game still saved. So I think you can only run into this problem if you quit on your very first voyage.

You should know that you can't "quicksave" in the middle of exploration though. If you quit you'll just end up back at the starting point when you reload, but you'll keep all the knowledge from the previous run. So that might be something to keep in mind if you have kids and sometimes need to unexpectedly quit. That said, you'll never have to worry about needing more than... well, let's just say 22 minutes at a time.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I have bought this game twice so far. I think I'm probably open to doing so a third time. I don't think I'm alone; it's #2 in Steam's top sellers for a reason.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You eventually get an option to just end the loop you're on, which is like saving.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Honestly it's probably just that the game doesn't bother to save during the tutorial, and then when you get out into space the game just kind of assumes that you'll die immediately because you do something like land on a planet and then go outside without putting on your suit first. A thing that I definitely did not do, no sir.

I definitely had times when I was playing where I hosed something up and was like "nope, I'm done playing for now" and quit out, and the game still saved. So I think you can only run into this problem if you quit on your very first voyage.

You should know that you can't "quicksave" in the middle of exploration though. If you quit you'll just end up back at the starting point when you reload, but you'll keep all the knowledge from the previous run. So that might be something to keep in mind if you have kids and sometimes need to unexpectedly quit. That said, you'll never have to worry about needing more than... well, let's just say 22 minutes at a time.

My first time playing, after spending a bunch of time walking around Timber Hearth in the tutorial and talking to all the NPCs, I jumped into one of the geysers in the middle of town, got launched way up into the air and then died of fall damage.
I hadn't finished the tutorial yet, so a funny thing happened: I actually got a game over screen and credits roll, and had to start a new save from the main menu again.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Look Sir Droids posted:

Not sure what the design choice is for not saving, but I guess I’ll see.
The game does save automatically when you quit, by considering the loop ended.

Unless you're on the first loop, that is. I guess they didn't expect someone would quit immediately after getting into space, which is fair imho.

minema
May 31, 2011
I was told this was a chill exploration game by my sister and I'm 4 loops in and there is NOTHING chill about this game so far

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

minema posted:

I was told this was a chill exploration game by my sister and I'm 4 loops in and there is NOTHING chill about this game so far

*tunes banjo with malicious intent*

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

*tunes banjo with malicious intent*

*hand hovers over marshmallow toastin' stick, ready to draw*

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

minema posted:

I'm also 4 loops in. While I wouldn't call it chill, I wouldn't say there's nothing chill about it. The starting location is very chill. Bouncing around on the planets is pretty chill. Dying is not that unchill, tbh. I did die to the big angler fish on the Dark Bramble. Is that the jump scare everybody talks about? I really haven't found the game to be stressful at all yet, so it leans closer to chill than not to me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm also 4 loops in. While I wouldn't call it chill, I wouldn't say there's nothing chill about it. The starting location is very chill. Bouncing around on the planets is pretty chill. Dying is not that unchill, tbh. I did die to the big angler fish on the Dark Bramble. Is that the jump scare everybody talks about? I really haven't found the game to be stressful at all yet, so it leans closer to chill than not to me.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I die about half the time I attempt to land on a planet and find it creepy whenever I'm exploring in the dark, it's possible this isn't the game for me! My husband took over for a loop and made much more progress.