Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bloodly posted:

I still remember the one mission briefing where he's happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqZZs7QWV4
The gameplay was painful to watch. So OCD. 3 Hours and 2 min for a 5 min mission.
Taking over the enemy buildings to be completionist can be fun but he did it so wrong and spent like 10 minutes waiting for more engineers to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fallom posted:

He explains in one of the Reddit comments; it is indeed the missile subs

I mean it makes sense, but I'm still a bit surprised. The subs are slow as poo poo, cost a lot and require the tech center. I figured the game would be over by the time the first missile sub was even queued.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

axeil posted:

If you want everyone at parity here's a mediafire file with that done: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ors36xvyye0vtex/CONFIG_%28hard_same_as_normal%29.MEG/file

This goes in CnCRemastered\Data and you should rename it to CONFIG.MEG.

Additionally here is one with my modification to Hard difficulty:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vcf8di9m1j7iweb/CONFIG.MEG/file

If this is :filez: according to a mod I will remove.

Thanks. I'll give those a try.

Some people mentioned not being able to get Tiberian Sun working on a modern OS. I too struggled unsuccessfully with this years ago. But Tiberian Sun was released as freeware in 2010, and since around 2015 CnC net's Tiberian Sun mod has continued improvement. You can download the full game plus Firestorm expansion under 'Full Game, patches and Linux'. It seems to run stably on my system, though I had to play around with the resolution to get the cinematics to be fullscreen, settled on 1280X800 as a compromise, same as I did with Dune 2000 Gruntmod back in '17.

Tiberian Sun was the #1 old game that didn't run anymore I had on my 'to play' list. For years I was convinced the only way to play it on a modern OS was with full OS emulation or VM ware. I swear there was a thread dedicated to doing this to get old games to work around 2008, but I couldn't find it even in the SA archives. Anyways, finding the CnC net mod is a pleasing time saver.

edit: I'm of the view cncnet mods that get Tiberian Sun, other games working are useful enough to mention in the OP. Along with a disclaimer about Hard difficulty having a rough implementation at present.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 17, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is the version of TS I got: https://cnc-comm.com/tiberian-sun/downloads/the-game/installer

Working fine on Win 10. Only problem is it fucks the speed of your mouse after you quit the game, you have to reset it in control panel.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

I'll throw in another link for people who are looking to try out some of the previous C&C games:

https://cnc.community/

This site not only includes installers for TD, RA, and TS, but also includes guides on how to install and configure all the other games from RA2 and up. This is probably the most comprehensive hub for getting any C&C game up and running near effortlessly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is awesome stuff and should go in the op.

Some EA exec somewhere is probably regretting that they made a mobile game instead of this remaster 5 years ago.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eregos posted:

Thanks. I'll give those a try.

Some people mentioned not being able to get Tiberian Sun working on a modern OS. I too struggled unsuccessfully with this years ago. But Tiberian Sun was released as freeware in 2010, and since around 2015 CnC net's Tiberian Sun mod has continued improvement. You can download the full game plus Firestorm expansion under 'Full Game, patches and Linux'. It seems to run stably on my system, though I had to play around with the resolution to get the cinematics to be fullscreen, settled on 1280X800 as a compromise, same as I did with Dune 2000 Gruntmod back in '17.

Tiberian Sun was the #1 old game that didn't run anymore I had on my 'to play' list. For years I was convinced the only way to play it on a modern OS was with full OS emulation or VM ware. I swear there was a thread dedicated to doing this to get old games to work around 2008, but I couldn't find it even in the SA archives. Anyways, finding the CnC net mod is a pleasing time saver.

edit: I'm of the view cncnet mods that get Tiberian Sun, other games working are useful enough to mention in the OP. Along with a disclaimer about Hard difficulty having a rough implementation at present.

The only renderer that works properly on Windows 10 (including windowd/borderless modes) is the cnc-ddraw one here: https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases. You can just drop it in to the installation folder to use it. The TS, RA2, etc. launchers all make this part really confusing because they offer a bunch of options with no explanation but the intent is to maximize compatibility on various systems.

Twisted Insurrection is the first one I've seen that comes with the cnc-ddraw dll

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Will shock troopers be removed too? They actually make a square "unsquishable" by tanks so you can have one in a cluster of 4 rocket infantry to protect them from tank squish.

Edit: also only 2% beat the allied campaign? drat. The allies final mission is really easy after the initial start, you have so much goddamn resources around you that you can just spam hundreds of light and med tanks and rush down the soviet bases with ease.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bloodly posted:

I still remember the one mission briefing where he's happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqZZs7QWV4

THAT'S happy?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the version of TS I got: https://cnc-comm.com/tiberian-sun/downloads/the-game/installer

Working fine on Win 10. Only problem is it fucks the speed of your mouse after you quit the game, you have to reset it in control panel.

This is a rad website and I hope there's also one for Total Annihilation and even Kingdoms

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lol

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Okay uhhhhhhhhhh casual difficulty completely breaks GDI 12A/B, the first chinook doesn't get killed by the SAMs and you can finish in < 1 minute

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i'm enjoying the "current events through the lens of C&C" memes while i can because i know it'll all end tragically with some white supremacist chan guy being caught with a Nod tattoo on his arm

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Crazy to think that the faction whose motto is "Peace through Power" might attract weirdo fash dipshits.

Actually, does Nod have any real motivation in TD other than doing terrorism for the sake of terrorism?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Surely its world domination right?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wrr posted:

Crazy to think that the faction whose motto is "Peace through Power" might attract weirdo fash dipshits.

Actually, does Nod have any real motivation in TD other than doing terrorism for the sake of terrorism?

Ostensibly to break up the imperialist western order of the GDI nations.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Wrr posted:

Kane is absolutely enamored with tiberium and literally wants it to spread over the entire earth. He sees tiberium as being the the component that unlocks humanities next evolutionary step and and spreading tiberium will allow him him to complete his "ascension" out of this world. Kane is literally a maniacal madman.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

And that's expressed in TD? All I remember is him pausing Dr. Mobious' talk show to butt in and interject his comments, like an angry white dad talking back to his news shows.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Wrr posted:

And that's expressed in TD? All I remember is him pausing Dr. Mobious' talk show to butt in and interject his comments, like an angry white dad talking back to his news shows.

Kane's goals are made clearer as the series progresses, but in TD it's expressed directly in the GDI missions that Kane's motives are almost entirely unknown. The Nod missions don't help to clear up much of what's going on and it does appear that Nod is merely attempting to usurp GDI and various global superpower to assert global military and financial superiority.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

obese retard posted:

Kane's goals are made clearer as the series progresses, but in TD it's expressed directly in the GDI missions that Kane's motives are almost entirely unknown. The Nod missions don't help to clear up much of what's going on and it does appear that Nod is merely attempting to usurp GDI and various global superpower to assert global military and financial superiority.

I did like that they did a pretty decent job of keeping the question "Is Kane a Prophet or Madman" a question - throughout the series he makes outrageous claims and calls, and is shown to be right about some of them, but mostly his decisions are ones of someone who had 10 contingency plans in case everything goes to poo poo.

At least, until C&C4, where they made Kane Right All Along and how dare GDI question his brilliance.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arrrthritis posted:

At least, until C&C4
I'm not familiar with that one, I think you might have played some sort of Russian fangame or something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

Okay uhhhhhhhhhh casual difficulty completely breaks GDI 12A/B, the first chinook doesn't get killed by the SAMs and you can finish in < 1 minute

Yeah apparently they implemented scaling bonuses for both casual and hard without testing the campaign missions. It's kinda goofy.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Where are good guides and unit stats? I think of Sc2 where the help section had all unit stats for multiplayer units or units in any given singleplayer mission. Helps a lot for commando missions especially knowing range. So far I've been using the CnC wiki and going to each unit page individually when I need to. There's a lot of informational supportive infrastructure like that other RTS's had I haven't found yet for C&C Remastered. Also helpful would be screencaps of the minimaps for each singleplayer mission, yes it's a spoiler but helps avoid wasting time on futile strategies in some harder spec ops missions.

A guide on optimal hotkey setup would be really awesome too. After so many other RTS's, lacking this stuff feels like playing the game a tad blind.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think C&C 1 comes from a time before any of those things you're talking about existed :frogbon:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eregos posted:

Where are good guides and unit stats? I think of Sc2 where the help section had all unit stats for multiplayer units or units in any given singleplayer mission. Helps a lot for commando missions especially knowing range. So far I've been using the CnC wiki and going to each unit page individually when I need to. There's a lot of informational supportive infrastructure like that other RTS's had I haven't found yet for C&C Remastered. Also helpful would be screencaps of the minimaps for each singleplayer mission, yes it's a spoiler but helps avoid wasting time on futile strategies in some harder spec ops missions.

A guide on optimal hotkey setup would be really awesome too. After so many other RTS's, lacking this stuff feels like playing the game a tad blind.

This site has maps for every mission

Or if you are still stuck, you can post in Spookydonut's LP and he can probably help you out with a more detailed map including triggers and whatnot.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

PlanetCNC is still up? What the heck?!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I'm pretty sure TD at least was designed with the idea that you'd just have a few failed attempts for each mission as you learned the map and where stuff was. The manual certainly didn't go into details on anything's stats beyond cost and what you had to have to enable building that unit, just stuff like "range: short". It's also kind of nuts how few unique units TD actually has compared to later RTSes.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That is very useful, thanks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

obese retard posted:

No kidding, but I guess hosting is cheap

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Just started playing some multiplayer TD games and they are stupid amounts fun. I suck at it and don't really take the games seriously but I like that things are much simpler compared to other RTS's and I find things are less stressful to handle. Games are only about 15 minutes long and units don't have spells and abilities that you have to micromanage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

obese retard posted:

Wow. I posted there and noobstories a ton back in the day.

Someone should archive these before the rest of them rot: http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/View2be2.html?view=Essays.Detail&id=162

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I forgot how ugly Tiberian Sun is. Good lord.

One of the most depressing games I've ever played for some reason, probably this

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol TS might be my favourite aesthetic. The brooding atmosphere, the coloured lighting, the smaller, cleaner sprites when compared to RA2, the mechs and cyborgs...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Even before the first tiberium war NOD had complete world financial domination, uber murdoch media too.

I think its fair to say that NOD basically scripted the first war.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordja posted:

Lol TS might be my favourite aesthetic. The brooding atmosphere, the coloured lighting, the smaller, cleaner sprites when compared to RA2, the mechs and cyborgs...

:same:

I really hope they remaster Tib Sun next.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Genuinely surprised for the TS love in this thread, granted its been twenty years but I recall Tiberian Sun being roundly disliked when it came out

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

A lot of GDI apologists in this thread...enjoy your blue zones, you elitists!!

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Listen you have to be pretty sure of what your doinf to build an oblisk thats a little crooked, a little bent. That shoots a giant LASER at all the tanks that are coming for ya. It takes a little forsight is all im sayin

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey was the Tiberian arc planned from the beginning, with like the Scrinn and all that, or did they just make it up as they went like Lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Genuinely surprised for the TS love in this thread, granted its been twenty years but I recall Tiberian Sun being roundly disliked when it came out

Yeah I was surprised too that so many people look fondly at TS. I was pretty *meh* about it when it came out and didn't know that many other people played it. I recall that Red Alert 1 & 2 were more popular than the tiberium series.