Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Anybody have a hot strat for getting computer terminals out quickly? Other than expose as much cabin as you can and throw them fast.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

Found a bug, I think: If you do freeplay and then go back to career, your weapons take durability damage even if they are invincible during freeplay.

That would certainly explain why my cutter had been so damaged all of a sudden.

korofrog
Dec 15, 2006
smell my face!!!

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone else with me in preferring controller to keyboard and mouse for this? It's not a drastic difference, but... well, I guess that's the point, they kinda work equally well, and controller lets me slob off in front of the TV :v:

I prefer the controller myself. Although, I still need to figure out the controls for using my hands to push and pull....and to figure out how to reel myself in with the grapple.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The reel is really handy for those times when you're grappling something and need to kill yourself

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Anybody have a hot strat for getting computer terminals out quickly? Other than expose as much cabin as you can and throw them fast.

For anything thats sensitive elctronics I always go for cutting the bulkhead under it, it stops it sparking and lets me be a lot calmer with it, plus I feel it makes it more durable (As you're often applying physics to the bit under it rather than the object)

Edit: For cockpits I always go for the side pannels, just open up two and yeet stuff out that way, I've not figured out a good way to seperated the internal hull from the nanonsteel plates yet on a mackrel

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 18, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't for the life of me disassemble a cockpit, I always end up trying to squeeze components out of the tiny doorway or the narrow slit of the window.

I also keep rushing headfirst into new salvages and keep forgetting to depressurize. Third ship I've explosively decompressed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't bother disassembling cockpits. I just cut it away from the body, pull out whatever bits I need/have time for, and the rest goes in the blue bin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you have to ask "what do I do with this fiddly bit" the answer is probably throw it in the trash.

1stGear posted:

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I fry nanocarbon on company time.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

I don't bother disassembling cockpits. I just cut it away from the body, pull out whatever bits I need/have time for, and the rest goes in the blue bin.

Yeah for me cockpit is last, the prio on a mackarel is:
Power core > Engine > Sides + nacelles > Top + bottom palens for main cargo bay then depending on time i'm yeeting everything in cargo then going for everythign valuable in the cockpit

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stormgale posted:

I've not figured out a good way to seperated the internal hull from the nanonsteel plates yet on a mackrel

You mean the cut points in the little crawlspaces on either side? If so, just cut all the interior points to separate the bow, fuselage, and stern sections, and squeeze your way in where they separate. Or cut the inner panels on the sides of the stern(beware of explosions).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

You mean the cut points in the little crawlspaces on either side? If so, just cut all the interior points to separate the bow, fuselage, and stern sections, and squeeze your way in where they separate. Or cut the inner panels on the sides of the stern(beware of explosions).

Nah i Specifically mean the cockpit itself, I can de-shell a macrel super fast I'd just love to be able to take the V shaped nanonsteel away from the cockpit itself would allow me to just cut open the bottom and yeet everything valuable out

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I didn't know about reeling, so I've been jetting myself between the hard jack and the ship by floating off the platform, flipping forward 180 degrees, grappling and pushing off the jack, then flipping back so I can see when I need to brake. Haven't died yet! I also haven't played for too long, I only stopped because the game crashed. I'd like to get back to it, but I downloaded a bunch of demos in the Steam games festival thing which are time limited, where Shipbreaker will still be right there when I'm through all of the demos.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lol

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Qubee posted:

I've noticed filled in / hollow squares when I mouse over certain objects, and I don't know what they signify. My best guess is they tell me how many anchor points the part I'm aiming at has? So it's an at-a-glance piece of information that lets me know how many things I need to cut away before the piece comes loose?

No, it's the object's hit points. When they're all empty, the object breaks down (and probably hurts you or sets fire to nearby stuff if it's electronics).

Incidentally, I now understand what difference removing the fuses makes, if you don't the generator takes damage when you unplug it. Not enough to destroy it but there may be surprises in the future. I think it may also damage the reactor? I'm a bit unsure about that. I know something damages the reactor, I'm not sure whether it's neglecting the fuses or it just starts taking damage over time once you cut off the coolant supply.

Regarding the cutter cutting only one element at a time, it depends on the distance. It'll focus on the nearest object in your sights if it's near enough, where "near enough" varies with the object's size. But if you back up a bit you can cut several objects in one go (and probably make something explode). Watch the dotted line to know what you'll cut.

I've discovered the 15 minutes timer is actually vital for me otherwise I lose all track of time while playing this.

Regarding cutting cockpits, one of the top tier upgrades for the cutter is the ability to cut nanosteel.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 19, 2020

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Let the people that want to stay past 15 minutes stay, but reduce the pay per salvage exponentially per minute until it reaches zero. You're forcing the collectors to work overtime. Pay goes to them, not you.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Stokes posted:

Let the people that want to stay past 15 minutes stay, but reduce the pay per salvage exponentially per minute until it reaches zero. You're forcing the collectors to work overtime. Pay goes to them, not you.

Every one of these mechanical incentives seems wierd, just let people turn off the timer in a singleplayer game. They aren't going to hurt you by playing different on their own.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Stormgale posted:

Every one of these mechanical incentives seems wierd, just let people turn off the timer in a singleplayer game.

They can though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Stokes posted:

They can though.

Yeah but all these "oh but you have this extra cost" seems to dismiss why people probably want to remove timers, and also the accessability benefits of you know allowing people to customise like that.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Removing the timer on the mode that people want to remove the timer completely negates the entire point of said mode. Which means it's probably not going away.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'd be pretty uneasy about buying this game now because it already looks like it could potentially be very different in the future because of a vocal community. It's not impossible to account for both preferences, but just like there's no harm in letting people play it how they like, there's no harm in suggesting ideas either :shrug:

I'd be more interested in the question of how you're going to give a difficulty curve when there's no pressure. I suspect a tutorial that gives a better feel for the normal game might help a lot of people's expectations.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 19, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I really dislike the time limit, but being able to toggle it off doesn't strike me as the best solution. I don't want to just remove all the tension from the game, because tension makes things exciting. Rather, I want the tension to exist in a form that still allows me to take in the scene, collect my thoughts, scope out a ship for a while, and think about what I'm going to do next without feeling like I'm being punished for it.

I'm sure there are all sorts of ways to accomplish that, but one that comes to mind would be to have many more "localized" time limits, like you get when you pull out a reactor - chains of events where once you've done A, you have to do B, C, and D in a timely manner or stuff breaks or blows up. I've only gone through a few ships so maybe more things like that do come up as you progress.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Triarii posted:

Rather, I want the tension to exist in a form that still allows me to take in the scene, collect my thoughts, scope out a ship for a while, and think about what I'm going to do next without feeling like I'm being punished for it.
I feel you've got plenty of time to do that with the current time limit though.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Chev posted:

I feel you've got plenty of time to do that with the current time limit though.

The time limit has felt very tight to me so far, but in a sense that's irrelevant - it's more of a psychological thing where spending a minute or two considering the situation when there's a clock ticking down feels stressful, like you're wasting an important resource, even if you end up not needing all of that time in the end.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Someone I think on the Steam forum had an idea of the shift not starting until you make your first cut (or something similar). I kinda like that idea.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The time limit makes sense because LYNX loves absolute control and to micromanage the gently caress out of you.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Someone I think on the Steam forum had an idea of the shift not starting until you make your first cut (or something similar). I kinda like that idea.

Yeah, that would be a decent compromise. I'd love to look a ship over and come up with a step-by-step plan of how I'm going to tackle it, and then see how hilariously that plan goes awry when I overlook an important detail or misplace a cut and I have to scramble to get the situation under control. Instead right now it's just a mad dash to get in there and start cutting things out, because a minute spent planning is a minute you're not throwing chunks of things into the processor.

Put another way, if you give the player time to plan things out and consider their actions, then you can make the ships much more complicated and hazardous without making the game frustratingly difficult.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Qubee posted:

I can't for the life of me disassemble a cockpit, I always end up trying to squeeze components out of the tiny doorway or the narrow slit of the window.

I also keep rushing headfirst into new salvages and keep forgetting to depressurize. Third ship I've explosively decompressed.

For the cockpit I just knock out the floor tiles, then sit back toward the reactor and yank things down and toss them in the barge. The game doesn't tell you but right click when grappling pulls stuff to you, so you can just yank all the pieces right out the doorway.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Just finished my first Gecko. Took me 3 days and 3 deaths (and I also blew up a significant portion of the ship..) but I also made an absolute ton of money and upgrade points. Super fun!

Edit: Biggest annoyance with it was position though, really hard to properly get rid of stuff at the back of the ship even with tethers.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 19, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sure would love a button remap patch ASAP.

Poltroon
Dec 15, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

I just did a test, because I really hate chucking all of the terminals out of the commercial Gecko one-by-one.

The terminal banks near the airlocks are mounted on two points: the aluminum inner hull at the top, and the airlock panels behind. I was able to free the entire bank by cutting the three bars that hold the aluminum panel, cutting slightly along the panel itself to avoid the terminals, and then vaporizing the three airlock plates they're attached to.

That allows you to grab the entire rack by the remaining strip of aluminum to which they're attached and chuck them right into the barge if you've already removed the aluminum floor panels.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

:stare:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The window glass is easy to get from the inside

e You can see a little chink on the glass where the corners of the oblong panes don't quite match up, maybe this is why it can't be cut in one go from outside

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 19, 2020

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

One of the logs you can find indicates that there's been several fuckhueg earthquakes before humanity really got their asses into gear and took to the stars.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Every time I pick up a loose fuse the game smashes me into the nearest wall. I assume this is a bug?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's some bug with Fuses where they gain a massive amount of acceleration the moment you pick them up. I think it might be in the direction they are already floating, so the safe thing to do is probably to pick them up from behind.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I like the time limit in a certain sense because the first few times you tackle a new ship, it's not very profitable as you're getting your footing and increasing your knowledge of the ship layout. But after a few shifts of working on the same type of ship, you'll know em inside out and can easily dismantle an entire Mackerel and have it all processed at the correct facility with some time to spare. I usually spend 3 shifts working on a ship completely, even though it isn't profitable. One shift, I'll just look all around, dismantle everything in sections and see how it fits together. The next shift, I'll look at all the internals and see what the best method of getting behind the wallspaces are. The final shift is just tidy up and toss everything to be processed. It helps me down the line when I am trying to be as efficient as possible, as I have a thorough understanding of the entire layout.

But being able to increase said time limit, or having time-limited actions (like the reactor), would be cool as well. It's still early days, so we'll see what the devs come up with. All in all, this game is fantastic. Are there more ship types, or is it currently just the Mackerel and Gecko?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Time limit is good because it gives you some incentive to improve and learn shortcuts.

Free Play is right there if you just wanna chill to scrap space trucks.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I get where the no timer people are coming from. It's universe appropriate and makes more money to just 1/2-3/4 scrap a ship haphazardly in one shift then move on to the next, but the speedrun aspect just doesn't do anything for me. I still want to make numbers go up down, but through slow, methodical play.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can do that fine over several shifts per ship though. I'm a slow dismantler taking 2-3 shifts per ship and the numbers are steadily going down.

Chev fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
This game throws a CTD every 30 minutes or so for me but that hasn't stopped it from becoming my personal GOTY already. Buy this if you haven't already.