Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Reminder that Jimmy Wales is a oval office (see thread - I can't link to his original tweet because he blocked me for my reply).

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1146920959494017024?s=20

E: Whelp what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
So he’s a radical centrist. Wanting rights for people is on par with fascism.

I didn’t know that about him but I recently found out he considers Israel justified in absorbing Palestine because they throw rocks and bottle rockets at Israel.

Would wonder does he allow his views to bias the moderation of Wikipedia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here on Newsnight, we have an important debate between an endocrinologist with a Doctorate in Medicine plus MSc in Anatomy and Physiology and a Gender Critical psychologist.

Just kidding.

We didn't invite the endocrinologist.

:smith:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's the most pathetic form of 'journalism' in that it's whatever bullshit an "insider" can pull out of their arse, paired off with... a medical team who will 100% not discuss individual cases without explicit consent from the patients or carers.
So the only families they'll talk to are the ones who are either convinced their child was 'failed' by the system, or those the producers can massage incriminating interviews from.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Marenghi posted:

So he’s a radical centrist. Wanting rights for people is on par with fascism.

I didn’t know that about him but I recently found out he considers Israel justified in absorbing Palestine because they throw rocks and bottle rockets at Israel.

Would wonder does he allow his views to bias the moderation of Wikipedia.

Oh really? I did not know that (about Palestine). :(

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Yeah it’s come up sometimes on his twitter.

He was once asked about receiving money from apartheid Israel and he responded asking why they don’t protest the rockets from Palestine. He’s called Corbyn an anti-Semite for not publicly denouncing every rocket attack.

He says he supports Israel because he supports free speech, women’s rights and democracy. https://jewishjournal.com/israel/171165/

But he also tends to support American imperialism in general.
He called Owen Jones an idiot last year for calling the obviously American backed Guaidó Venezuela coup a coup.

I’d really wonder how unbiased Wikipedia is when you consider his political leanings.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean I don't think Wales is actually in charge of/involved with the content of Wikipedia. I think in general the stuff on there is mostly pretty unbiased.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Come the gently caress on "Dane Strangler" is not a US policy wonk it's a profession in the 10th century.

Thank you for this, made my morning.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wonder if they're going to devote any time on that Newsnight to all the trans people dealing with multi-year wait times to see a GIC

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ms Adequate posted:

Wonder if they're going to devote any time on that Newsnight to all the trans people dealing with multi-year wait times to see a GIC

This is not something I am actually wondering

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The only thing I'm wondering is how long into the piece it'll be before they mention how poor JK Rowling has received abuse at the hands of trans activists.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guessing they talked to a bunch of people who think there's a trans person in the shadows on every corner just waiting to jump out on your kid and believe the '00s of people detransitioning' lie from that Charlie Evans.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 19, 2020

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Prince John posted:

While you're there, I think that's the same guy that did a pretty awesome History of Rome podcast which I enjoyed lots at the time. Even if I've forgotten 90% of it by now.

Yeah it's the same guy and the history of Rome's also amazing to fall asleep to. He's also got a book on Sulla and marius' era which is supposed to be good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally 90% of the population is in a constant state of total gender anarchy, transitioning and detransitioning all the time, the entire economy revolves around it, only I, the big brain children's book writer, am not currently doing a gender.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Social goals right there.

Reminds me of the only good type of 'gender critical'.

quote:

‘Gender abolitionism’ is not code for the eradication of what are currently considered ‘gendered’ traits from the human population. Under patriarchy, such a project could only spell disaster–the notion of what is ‘gendered’ sticks disproportionately to the feminine. But even if this balance were redressed, we have no interest in seeing the sexuate diversity of the world reduced. Let a hundred sexes bloom! ‘Gender abolitionism’ is shorthand for the ambition to construct a society where traits currently assembled under the rubric of gender, no longer furnish a grid for the asymmetric operation of power.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Algol Star posted:

Yeah it's the same guy and the history of Rome's also amazing to fall asleep to. He's also got a book on Sulla and marius' era which is supposed to be good.

Mike Duncan, and the revolutions podcast is interesting as you get to hear him very slowly being radicalised as he goes deep into the weeds of why people felt the need to revolt, over and over again.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Ms Adequate posted:

Ah yes, the brutal efficiency of the UK GIC system. I only popped into the Sainsbury's downstairs for some tic tacs and now I'm a woman

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Beefeater1980 posted:

Mike Duncan, and the revolutions podcast is interesting as you get to hear him very slowly being radicalised as he goes deep into the weeds of why people felt the need to revolt, over and over again.

Covering the Hatian Revolution in particular seemed to push him over the edge, and it's not hard to see why.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone actually watched that Newsnight piece? Apparently it was on last night.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guavanaut posted:

The German app is open source other than the Google/Apple API bit, so it sounds more like he's offering to translate it, and host it, with the agreement of the NHS to do the positive confirmation code bit.

It's already in English. But sending some codes around and having some VPS somewhere notify connected phones is trivial.

The hard part is integration into the actual health care system including connected laboratories. In the German system your test result comes with a cryptographic signature so the application can validate it. That way no central server knows your medical data but the system can still prevent people from triggering false alerts.

As always, the part where such a system has to interface with the real world is the part that is fiendishly complex and where all the effort has to go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Isomermaid posted:

Ah yes, the brutal efficiency of the UK GIC system. I only popped into the Sainsbury's downstairs for some tic tacs and now I'm a woman

<removes Tictacs from shopping list>

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antigravitas posted:

As always, the part where such a system has to interface with the real world is the part that is fiendishly complex and where all the effort has to go.
Jimmy didn't say anything about that part though, so that will doubtlessly be someone else's problem *hits make APK*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-19/lib-dem-leadership-contender-layla-moran-behind-book-backing-universal-income/

quote:

Suggestions in the book edited by Ms Moran include creating a universal basic income – a salary-style payment from the Government to all citizens – and providing universal basic services, which would see the provision of free broadband, water and energy, potentially saving a single adult in the UK £1,360 per year.

Let's all join the Lib Dems

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jezza's Broadband Bribe strikes again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:bisonyes:

Not sure about the energy bit though, there's a significant part of electricity and gas that's a variable cost (generation/extraction) rather than fixed cost (infrastructure), would there be a cap, or do they think that energy efficiency campaigns would make up for the inevitable bitcoiners?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

On the Labour report, I was very pleased to see that they reached right back into all the voter declines in the Tony Blair era and recognised that this has been a long term trend with a blip in 2017, rather than going "ALL CORBYN'S FAULT".

Build Back Better has the same weird ring to it as those terrible Labour posters with Building Britain Back on them.

Not gonna lie though, if they came out with that as a manifesto promise, I'd give serious consideration to voting for them. Plus the fact the Lib Dems are proposing UBI and UBS as being 'moderate centre-left' policies can only help acceptability of some of these ideas as it seeps into the general consciousness.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Fool you once, shame on them....

In all honesty though the fact that Labour are going to allow themselves to be outflanked by the Lib Dems again is a complete tragedy. The only silver lining is that it will be a leftward pressure on the party.

Edit: It might also help unseat a few Tories in Tory/Lib marginals.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What will actually happen is Ed Davey will win and change nothing.

e: lmao I was just reminded that a) Wera Hobhouse is a thing and b) this is her campaign logo

Someone send her that thread on branding.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 19, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

sebzilla posted:

e: lmao I was just reminded that a) Wera Hobhouse is a thing and

There is a suspiciously high red trouser count in her family, which I'm going to assume is a proxy for terribleness (photo on her website)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Munin posted:

It's not even as if that type of article was rare. I remember people sharing a dozen different examples of the "She's a big girl now" type stories, often when young celebrities or celebrities' young kids turned 16. It certainly was a tabloid staple and I'm sure there are still recent examples because the underlying culture hasn't changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9dqNTTdYKY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weren't a lot of the page 3 models underage?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

The Sun used girls under 18, which would be prohibited these days (although still more legal than a couple of album covers I could name). But they were all in that grey moral window of "old enough to have sex with, not old enough to be considered an adult" - even the Scum didn't use girls who weren't legal, at least not wittingly.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Some were 16/17, but it was legal so it's impossible to say whether it was good or bad.

just adding this edit to clarify it was a @dril reference and is clearly bad!

blunt fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 19, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
16/17 only with parental consent, but I'm not sure if that makes it more or less weird and gross.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good to see momentum calling these cunts out

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1273920735233392641?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1273649128560566272?cxt=HGwWgIC1xczI9KwjAAAA

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just out of interest does twitter count me (not logged into twitter) as a "view" when I read it embedded on a forum page?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Guavanaut posted:

16/17 only with parental consent, but I'm not sure if that makes it more or less weird and gross.
There's a Kiera Knightly movie, The Hole, where she flashes them despite being 15 at the time of filming.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd imagine that might fall under artistic merit, however if a person had a frame of that bit enlarged to a photo absent context, they might find themselves explaining it to authorities.

Also obligatory 'which hole?' :stonkhat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Are Momentum a decent organisation? I did wonder if they should turn into a grass roots organisation that is outside the labour party campaigning on issues year round but then couldn't remember if they'd already done that.