Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
But doesn’t Lev stop Abby from killing Dina with the power of saying Abby’s name. So there’s that.

I didn’t even know they were trans until the spoilers today...maybe they should’ve just put them as a main character and left the OG crew alone.

Like I would’ve like playing as Lev trying to get to Tommy’s settlement and then meets up with Joel or Ellie who helps them...aww man I want that game. Surviving from oppressive fanatics would’ve been cool on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

tbf the people latching onto this weird self-insert thing also seem to be the people latching onto 'abby is trans and that's bad because ???', so they probably don't care at all about how the actual trans character is treated by the narrative

It's the latest in a series of talking points that the alt-right have been chewing on ad nauseam since the leaks happened. First it was "Abby is trans", which got swiftly debunked but they kept hammering on it (and still do), then it was "SJWs and their agenda killed Joel, the last straight white male" and now it appears to be "Druckmann created a self-insert" which I don't personally think has much merit.

They keep these talking points going by flooding social media with memes and drowning out actual discussion. And no, I'm not casting judgment on anyone in this thread for sharing them here - the game is just out and posts like those will be flying all over the place for the first few days at least - though RedPillDuke is a little on the nose.

Naugthy Dog's messaging has been bad and the leaks were no doubt a huge blow to what would've otherwise been a successful misdirection campaign.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

TERMINAL SONICITUS posted:

I wonder how much of this would still be a trashfire if Amy Hennig was still at Naughty Dog?
I now really wonder how much input she had with the first game despite not being credited.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Even if "Neil Druckmann personally modeled himself in TLOU2 to spite you, the gamer who he individually knew would hate this" wasn't a completely insane conclusion that relies on thinking all men with a man bun apparently look the same, it's an unproductive argument because there's absolutely nothing you can do with it. Let's assume he did do that purely to spite you, #1 Team Joel fan. Okay, so what. What higher understanding is being achieved from looking at the world in this way? It's just an unhealthy kind of relationship to have with media in all instances where it comes up.

I don't think people come onto the internet to make fun of a game to achieve higher understanding.

I was mildly interested in this game due to the hype and pretty graphics, but I don't have a playstation so I watched a guy on twitch play through the entire story yesterday while i was working. The characters were gruff and stoic psychopaths that all had very similar speech patterns. Boring stilted dialogue that never goes anywhere. The character arcs are more like death spirals into depression for everyone that didn't get brutally killed. All of the factions are just reallllly into murdering. Violently killing people and dogs is pretty much all the gameplay, and all the NPCs you encounter want to murder you on sight for some reason. But really, I just don't know what the point of this story was. What were the feelings they were trying to evoke??

Also...and this might just be a personal pet peeve, but I can't stand frequent flashbacks in movies or games, and TLAOU2 is filled to the brim with flashbacks.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wait thats the self insert, why does it look nothing at all like him lmao

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TERMINAL SONICITUS posted:

I wonder how much of this would still be a trashfire if Amy Hennig was still at Naughty Dog?
I feel that would have made UC4 worse so maybe it was worth it

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i haven't played everything she's written but from playing the Legacy of Kain games i got the impression that Amy Hennig had the problem of falling too in love with her characters, so she didn't allow too much bad to happen to them, or for them to do too many bad things -- like, Kain went from a selfish, genocidal despot to a misunderstood hero in between Soul Reaver 1 and 2, unambiguously. so, the opposite problem compared to what's going on here. but i'll definitely take "i enjoy writing these characters too much to treat them poorly" over this poo poo.

i would pay money to learn how her leaving Naughty Dog went down

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I read a lot of posts saying Amy got chased out by Druckmann, can I ask for a elaboration on that as I really want to understand how that happened.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I read a lot of posts saying Amy got chased out by Druckmann, can I ask for a elaboration on that as I really want to understand how that happened.

as far as i can tell, that's just speculation

the only thing that's really been said is there were "creative differences" over the direction of uncharted 4, and then the "the last of us guys" took over

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ErrEff posted:

though RedPillDuke is a little on the nose.

I hate the alt-right as much as any other well-adjusted human being but you gotta admit that subtitle for the doctor picture was funny. Should have checked the username of that tweet before posting though - my bad, I hosed up with that one.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/03/05/uncharted-writerdirector-amy-hennig-reportedly-forced-out-at-naughty-dog/amp/

This says both Bruce and Neil supposedly forced her out but who knows what really went down.

Then Bruce left because UC4 was a gigantic crunch fest later too.

Edit: also when Amy was working on the Star Wars EA game, reports were saying that it keep getting features added and it became a mess that didn’t have an identity or feature creep. Something like that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Amy seems like a genuinely lovely person and she gave us some amazing Uncharted games. Uncharted 4 was a sharp decline in quality and they handed Lost Legacy over to some new guys who created a greatest hits type of game. I'd have really liked to see Amy's Uncharted 4 over what we got because I think it would have been more fun and gone out with a bang rather than a whimper. The epilogue was touching, though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

I hate the alt-right as much as any other well-adjusted human being but you gotta admit that subtitle for the doctor picture was funny. Should have checked the username of that tweet before posting though - my bad, I hosed up with that one.

you also posted an insanely transphobic tweet you should probably take two seconds to look at something before posting

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hipster Occultist posted:

Speaking of the 'cure" at the end of the first game, what were the odds on that? I don't remember anything indicating that Ellie's sacrifice would for sure create a vaccine, and that the Fireflies had tried and failed already and were pretty desperate at that point.

Extremely, mind-bogglingly low. The fireflies are extremely incompetent. Higher than the 0% chance they had once Joel went all rip and tear but still really low

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

im sure that twitter user "red pill duke" has nothing but valuable and true information to share

game's hardly great as is, you don't need to fall for bullshit that chuds make up just to rile each other up more to criticise it

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

Allow me to introduce you to the concept of subtlety. See also when they had to change Ellie's design slightly because Ellen Page wasn't happy.

This is the post that led me to discover that Ellie wasn’t voiced by Ellen Page. I…have not been paying close attention to these games and I always though Ellie was Ellen.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
god now i can't stop thinking about how awesome the climaxes of Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance were, even if i rolled my eyes at half the plot developments and character changes in those games. Soul Reaver 2 especially, the last hour was just a machinegun riddling my brain with bullets labeled "CATHARSIS," "SHOCKING REVELATIONS," and "A TIME TRAVEL PLOT THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE"

amy hennig write more vampire games

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

This is the post that led me to discover that Ellie wasn’t voiced by Ellen Page. I…have not been paying close attention to these games and I always though Ellie was Ellen.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V2-Om8Mo5_k/T9GiqHzYFjI/AAAAAAAAAW4/ssoCNRvmm8A/s1600/Ellie.jpg

I don’t know how they thought it was going to fly before it was changed

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Miching Mallecho posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/03/05/uncharted-writerdirector-amy-hennig-reportedly-forced-out-at-naughty-dog/amp/

This says both Bruce and Neil supposedly forced her out but who knows what really went down.

Then Bruce left because UC4 was a gigantic crunch fest later too.

Edit: also when Amy was working on the Star Wars EA game, reports were saying that it keep getting features added and it became a mess that didn’t have an identity or feature creep. Something like that.

It could have been rear end-covering and lies, I certainly don't have the insider knowledge either way, but for what it's worth, the heads of Naughty Dog came out and emphatically denied Druckmann and Straley had anything to do with Hennig leaving after the speculation arose, and Druckmann goes into a little more detail about how they found out she was gone in Jason Schreier's book. In the latter, it also sounded like they weren't originally super thrilled about the idea of heading Uncharted 4, because they were were pretty exhausted from finishing up TLOU. Personally I find this more believable and think the situation was probably messier and more complicated than "Amy good Neil bad" but who knows really.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

SUNKOS posted:

Amy seems like a genuinely lovely person and she gave us some amazing Uncharted games. Uncharted 4 was a sharp decline in quality and they handed Lost Legacy over to some new guys who created a greatest hits type of game. I'd have really liked to see Amy's Uncharted 4 over what we got because I think it would have been more fun and gone out with a bang rather than a whimper. The epilogue was touching, though.

Yep from everything I have heard Amy Hennig is one of the best, great to work with, and very very talented. Neil Druckmann didn't like her having more talent, and so he decided to get rid of her. Neil Druckmann is not only a cancer to the game industry, but he is also a hypocrite in everything he says he supports - because for someone who keeps shouting to the masses about women's rights in the work place, he didn't give two iotas about that when Amy Hennig had more power via talent than he did. And that got in the way of his agenda. Any other covers for him were because the industry can black list you with the drop of a hat and they all needed their jobs so they covered for Druckmann.

After this mess though, I doubt anyone cares about working there any longer. And quite honestly they can get better paying jobs with less stress elsewhere anyway.

At least Neil got his Hollywood shot though, and took an advanced bonus on TLOU2 after the delay and then told his employees nope! No soup for you.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 19, 2020

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

CharlestonJew posted:

Extremely, mind-bogglingly low. The fireflies are extremely incompetent. Higher than the 0% chance they had once Joel went all rip and tear but still really low

Yeah, that's kinda what I remembered, but its been a long time since I played the first game.

It seems odd that the writers of this sequel want us to hate Joel so much for (1) making a choice that pretty much any parent (real or adopted) would actually make, and (2), said choice still would have been a tough call even if a cure/vaccine that could be successfully developed and deployed was a sure thing. Toss in a great deal of uncertainty about said cure and honestly that choice becomes easier to make/justify.

I'm not necessarily saying it was morally right from a dispassionate viewpoint, but its the choice I would see most fathers making in that circumstance.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
everyone in this page should be permabanned ASAP.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nice

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ArfJason posted:

this is the freedom i long for but fear to grant myself

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bonaventure posted:

god now i can't stop thinking about how awesome the climaxes of Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance were, even if i rolled my eyes at half the plot developments and character changes in those games. Soul Reaver 2 especially, the last hour was just a machinegun riddling my brain with bullets labeled "CATHARSIS," "SHOCKING REVELATIONS," and "A TIME TRAVEL PLOT THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE"

amy hennig write more vampire games

I really wish, I want more Legacy of Kain and have for a long while.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You cant run a huge basement weed grow op on a single gas generator. Old bitch carrying can after can of precious fuel from camp to run the lights all day and night for a plant that grows anywhere outside?
Game sucks rear end. What a dumb world with zero thought put in

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

I really wish, I want more Legacy of Kain and have for a long while.

i also want this, but to be fair i'm not sure where they would take it.
the most fun characters are either dead or inside swords; the Elder God is a one-note villain, and god i could not care less about Janos Audron.
it ended on a plot cliffhanger, but basically all the character arcs of people we care about had come to nice, satisfying conclusions.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RottenK posted:

im sure that twitter user "red pill duke" has nothing but valuable and true information to share

game's hardly great as is, you don't need to fall for bullshit that chuds make up just to rile each other up more to criticise it

There was nothing to fall for. It was a joke image with a subtitle for the doctor scene at the end of the original TLOU and was one of the first things I saw when clicking on the 'Joel' hashtag that was trending.

Like seriously, everyone here knows that none of the doctors at the end of TLOU threatened Joel with how great their daughter is at golf so there's no bullshit to fall for. It was even presented as "Also fuckin' lol @ this" which clearly indicates humor so you don't need to reach.

effervescible posted:

It could have been rear end-covering and lies, I certainly don't have the insider knowledge either way, but for what it's worth, the heads of Naughty Dog came out and emphatically denied Druckmann and Straley had anything to do with Hennig leaving after the speculation arose, and Druckmann goes into a little more detail about how they found out she was gone in Jason Schreier's book. In the latter, it also sounded like they weren't originally super thrilled about the idea of heading Uncharted 4, because they were were pretty exhausted from finishing up TLOU. Personally I find this more believable and think the situation was probably messier and more complicated than "Amy good Neil bad" but who knows really.

We'll never know but Sony and Naughty Dog were trying to cover up that sexual harassment thing as well until the victim had enough and actually took them to court. Victim won. Sony & ND looked like scum for lying and trying to cover it up so I don't believe anything in Schreier's book when it comes to things like that because of their track record.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m dumb and I also don’t do drugs, but I thought that people only grew weed in basements because it is illegal? Why would you need basement weed if all law is gone and dog killing is a recreational sport?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

hot diggity, stux

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I posted way more in here than I thought I did

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

hatty posted:

I’m dumb and I also don’t do drugs, but I thought that people only grew weed in basements because it is illegal? Why would you need basement weed if all law is gone and dog killing is a recreational sport?

I mean they made it clear that the zombies can't survive without sustenance but one of the first encounters in Seattle is a backfilled with Clickers and Runners (And am I the only one who doesn't understand how there can still be runners after 30+ years? wouldn't they have progressed in that time?) that had been there since Outbreak Day, trying to rob the bank.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm not sure I have 415 in any thread, let alone a shithead like this one.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Yo maybe just like the top 10 or 11 tho

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

hot diggity, stux

like one out of nine posts in this thread

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The lens flare in this game is a ugly graphics crime.

The only good thing in the first 2 hours is how bad it looks when you rotate the camera while walking and ellie awkwardly tries to moonwalk to keep her back to the player

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

SUNKOS posted:

We'll never know but Sony and Naughty Dog were trying to cover up that sexual harassment thing as well until the victim had enough and actually took them to court. Victim won. Sony & ND looked like scum for lying and trying to cover it up so I don't believe anything in Schreier's book when it comes to things like that because of their track record.

Yep exactly this. Basically Druckmann forced out Amy because she was better than he was and the teams looked up to her more then him and he didn't like that. I honestly think the guy might have some mental issues at play as well.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

the basement weed is watered with the dog blood seeping from the ground over it

watched the game on stream yesterday, it seemed boring and pointless

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

like one out of nine posts in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhWR4d3FJQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
As completely unnecessary and rubbish as that final act of the story is, it's might actually be thematically consistent.

TLOU: Joel is, and always was, an irredeemable piece of poo poo who did everything for himself.

TLOU2: Joel gets what he deserves. Ellie turns out to also be an irredeemable piece of poo poo and also gets what she deserves.

It's not a remotely meaningful (or well told) story, but it's fascinating how much the leaks, and character attachment blinded people to the actual content.