Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Eklund is a giant PoS and if you don't believe you can separate politics from your hobbies you really shouldn't be supporting him with your money.

The man who wrote a Defense of British Colonialism and included it in all copies of Pax Pamir is a huge PoS you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Aramoro posted:

The man who wrote a Defense of British Colonialism and included it in all copies of Pax Pamir is a huge PoS you say?

Yeah, well a few posters here were dancing around the fact that he's an utter racist loon, figured I would just make it explicit.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I keep wanting to butt in with something about all this sad loving garbage, not even to be contrary, but to try and process my intense ceaseless confusion. I keep chickening out, so I might as well say something important.

Black Lives Matter.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Eklund is a rocket scientist who believes that the Humanities is also governed by empirical facts and 'natural laws', when it is in fact the messy product of millions of flawed monkey brains blindly groping around for the best ways to function in large societies. This means he is great at producing models that produce authentic looking outputs when provided with authentic inputs, but also means that he forgets that they are just models, and it's easy to get the right outputs when you can base it on events that have already transpired. While history does repeat itself, we're awfully lovely at predicting where and why, and which particular historical horror will revisit us at any given time. Because of our monkey brains that he doesn't really understand.

At least he has been smart enough to contribute silence to discussions on current events.

On a related note, more internet drama:

Ringing endorsement from this shithead

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Holy poo poo did you see their response?

quote:

Greetings everyone,

As you are probably aware, there are a number of false and defamatory statements that have recently cropped up. As such, we at Everything Board Games are prepared to stand our ground against lies and cyber bullying.
Recently, a few of our volunteer reviewers demanded that Everything Board Games craft an official political statement. We declined. Unfortunately a number of them have launched what appears to be a coordinated attack and decided to involve our community. We will not stand for that either. Facebook already has rules in place that prohibit hate speech, etc. We will continue to follow the standards Facebook has set in how we moderate. We will also be removing comments meant to incite—as well as those that authored them from our group on Facebook.
At Everything Board Games, we are committed to our core mission which is to help bring gamers and the games they’ll love together. To create a space and a community where we can hang out together and just have fun. We believe this is especially important right now as we live in a time of political and social unrest.
In order to make this happen, Everything Board Games has chosen to refrain from getting involved or advocating certain positions in regard to politics, religion, or any other hot topics.
This is why we have chosen not to make an official political statement.
The other reason why we will not make such a statement is because we believe in you—our community. To make the statement those reviewers demanded would be for us to assume that there are those in our community who are hateful racist bigots. This directly contradicts the experiences we’ve had within our community.
We at Everything Board Games are interested in just that—board games. We have no interest in virtue signaling, requiring the membership of our community to prove their moral and ideological purity, and all the other nonsense that comes with adopting that kind of mindset.
Instead, we choose to show what we stand for—what all of us stand for in the Everything Board Games community—by how we comport ourselves.
To those who who feel they cannot stay in a community that refuses to wade into politics and other social justice initiatives, we understand and we wish you the best.

Upper-middle-class-white-male-douchebag.txt

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Apparently they lost 75% of their reviewers. Better make sure the next ones own MAGA hats.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm not sure why I needed 50 pages to tell me Phil Eklund is a crazy person but that was a good article

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Upper-middle-class-white-male-douchebag.txt

This is just so... dumb. So self defeating.

Like, even if you're a total racist turd, now is a good time to hide that, and just and write a crappy, do-nothing policy/statement in support of not being racist. Just, like, do it. Copy someone else's.. whatever. Get something up on your web page.

Or, like, maybe you think it's terrible when businesses put out mealy-mouthed statements/do-nothing policies without really addressing "the issues"? Maybe, for some reason, you're absolutely committed to separation of "your organization" and "politics"? Cool, great, really gives us all a lot to think about.

Also, you should put out an anti-racism statement/policy right now, so your business doesn't die. I mean, there's obviously other reasons too, but at very least people should grasp that one. Bizarre how many people want to die on this hill.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 19, 2020

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I probably shouldn't expect any better from chuds, but "Putting out a statement implies there are racists in our community!" is some of the shittest logic I've seen in a banner year for lovely logic and bad-faith arguing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey, so on this Ticket to Ride buying adventure I'm on, I didn't realize the world expansions were/are collectible to some degree so the prices vary between different places. On Amazon, a 3rd party seller (with prime) has it for about $50 whereas, if I search via Google Shopping, it shows in some small online retailers as being around $30 or $40, which isn't huge, but percentage wise, that's like 20% - 40%. Is Amazon a safe place to be buying board games? Should I be getting them from somewhere else that would be cheaper?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Miniature Market, Game Nerdz, and Cardhaus may have them cheaper. Some things you're looking for may be legit out of print.

You could also check each specific page on BGG for sales, just keep in mind the prices you see don't include shipping.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey, so on this Ticket to Ride buying adventure I'm on, I didn't realize the world expansions were/are collectible to some degree so the prices vary between different places. On Amazon, a 3rd party seller (with prime) has it for about $50 whereas, if I search via Google Shopping, it shows in some small online retailers as being around $30 or $40, which isn't huge, but percentage wise, that's like 20% - 40%. Is Amazon a safe place to be buying board games? Should I be getting them from somewhere else that would be cheaper?

If you're in Canada, Amazon is rarely competitive on price and often selling a significant premium compared to your FLGS. That said, if you've got the camelizer installed, setting up alerts is pretty smart because stuff goes on sale randomly and you can grab things for a great price if you're quick enough on the draw.

You're probably not in Canada.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

People sometimes report getting substandard knock offs on amazon, especially of the more mainstream games so buyer beware. Not sure they are making copies of obscure expansions but do your homework.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If anyone can find me a copy of Norwegians for FfO on the cheap, that ships to Australia, I'd really appreciate it.

There's only like 1-2 places that has it in stock here and they're selling it for like $70-100 AUD.

Also I bought Feast for Odin cause I had to postpone a tattoo for a month :v:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The End posted:

Eklund is a rocket scientist who believes that the Humanities is also governed by empirical facts and 'natural laws', when it is in fact the messy product of millions of flawed monkey brains blindly groping around for the best ways to function in large societies. This means he is great at producing models that produce authentic looking outputs when provided with authentic inputs, but also means that he forgets that they are just models, and it's easy to get the right outputs when you can base it on events that have already transpired. While history does repeat itself, we're awfully lovely at predicting where and why, and which particular historical horror will revisit us at any given time. Because of our monkey brains that he doesn't really understand.

At least he has been smart enough to contribute silence to discussions on current events.

This is being way way too fair to Eklund, if you read his defence of British Colonialism you'll note that most of the time it is counter factual or deliberately misleading. His examples of how great British colonialism was is based on how well some of the colonies did after British rule ended. His prime examples for that? USA and Australia where European settlers replaced he locals.

He also lauds the British legal system that was imposed on places that we colonised, this is based on the assumption that the British system is innately superior to what ever was in place before. He's not using his rocket scientist brain to look at this empirically, he's using his white western mindset to state that of course the British system is better than whatever these warlords had cooked up.

Phil Eklund posted:

The British Legal Tradition. The British de facto separation of powers, first between lords and king and then between king and parliament, yielded a unique framework of law that facilitated economic transactions. A vast improvement over tribal justice, where all three branches of government were embodied in one warlord.

I mean yes the British system did enable economic transactions, not ones the locals wanted but rather the ones we wanted at the point of a gun. This glosses over entirely that we, the British, let a private company run India for a hundred years with no British legal system just company rules.

Again he states we were simply better than the barbarians we replaced, more stable and less warlike. Except India had been ruled by the same Mughal Empire under a pretty stable rule for the previous 300 years. What he's saying in simply not true or just viewed through the lens of someone who has set out with the intention of saying colonialism was good.

He approaches the whole subject from the position that White British == Good and Brown Natives == Bad, that's his starting position for his arguments. That's not super logical rocket scientist brain in action, that is good old fashioned racism.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Let's not forget that the British Empire waged war against China just so that it could sell opium that China didn't want.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Llyranor posted:

Let's not forget that the British Empire waged war against China just so that it could sell opium that China didn't want.

I think you mean facilitated economic transactions with China, they were just too closed minded to receive such generosity from the British.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can we get away from talking about Empires and Colonisation and displacement of native peoples and talk about something else?

It took *2 days* to arrive. OMFG. In Australia! I'm STILL waiting for my alleged copy of Oathmark to arrive after nearly 3 months.

Now I just to find 5 more people to play it. :(

'Corse even if I ever did, I'm terrible at Diplomacy. I tried playing that game and never got anywhere. Catan trading just never worked for me either. But the dream of playing it one day is nice.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Aramoro posted:

I think you mean facilitated economic transactions with China, they were just too closed minded to receive such generosity from the British.

Lo and behold in Pax Emancipation, China is where more slaves are than the US, caribbean, and south america combined.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are you getting the expansion?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Comstar posted:

Can we get away from talking about Empires and Colonisation and displacement of native peoples and talk about something else?

I genuinely don't know if you're joking.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Squishy posted:

I genuinely don't know if you're joking.

I couldn't tell either. I think it was meant as a joke.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think this social distancing and TTS has made me want to get into actual board gaming for once. Thing is I'm not sure how to find a group in a fairly small suburb that's fairly far from the main city. It also doesn't help that TTS making things mostly free has given me a taste for over priced kickstarter rigamarole.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's almost certainly a board game meetup in your area, search Facebook or similar sites for options or see if there's a hobby shop within 20 miles and short them an email asking if they know of anything.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Has anyone taken a crack at Imperial Struggle yet that can weigh in? Discriminating Gamer had a good video about it but I'm worried the game almost has too much going on and is losing the fairly simple yet Elegant™ mechanics that made TS so intriguing.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Gorelab posted:

I think this social distancing and TTS has made me want to get into actual board gaming for once. Thing is I'm not sure how to find a group in a fairly small suburb that's fairly far from the main city. It also doesn't help that TTS making things mostly free has given me a taste for over priced kickstarter rigamarole.

good news is that most kickstarter games are garbo. you can get a lot of mileage out of tried and true games!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

There's almost certainly a board game meetup in your area, search Facebook or similar sites for options or see if there's a hobby shop within 20 miles and short them an email asking if they know of anything.

Go to meetup.com, great place to find groups and it's free.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gorelab posted:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/82/bgg/game-groups

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FulsomFrank posted:

Has anyone taken a crack at Imperial Struggle yet that can weigh in? Discriminating Gamer had a good video about it but I'm worried the game almost has too much going on and is losing the fairly simple yet Elegant™ mechanics that made TS so intriguing.

I've been trying to get vassal games going with people but nobody's taken me up on it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

They're still shipping out the P500's, though the Vassal mod is available now.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Max posted:

They're still shipping out the P500's, though the Vassal mod is available now.

Ah, thought it was available in the States already. I think the retailers up North are getting it at the end of June.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

At least it's coming to people faster that my FitL order they shipped in March.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got my ship notice last night. I forgot that I had even ordered it.

Gonna try it out as soon as I can and I'll report.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Ah, thought it was available in the States already. I think the retailers up North are getting it at the end of June.

They focused on international orders first, and are doing the US orders now.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I bought Dungeon Mayhem on advice from this thread and I’m not sure the last time I saw such thin tokens. Almost seems like a knockoff.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

SelenicMartian posted:

Are you getting the expansion?

Might as well. I bought all the expansions for Fog of Love, but I'm trying to get my wife to play that first.

Anyone tried an 8 player game of Dune?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

djfooboo posted:

I bought Dungeon Mayhem on advice from this thread and I’m not sure the last time I saw such thin tokens. Almost seems like a knockoff.

They don't get better in the big Monster Madness box. They're pretty embarrassing.

The rest of it's cool though. The big box actually has a really good insert, and the inside of the lid is cloth lined. But yeah, cardstock+ tokens.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Comstar posted:

Might as well. I bought all the expansions for Fog of Love, but I'm trying to get my wife to play that first.

Anyone tried an 8 player game of Dune?

Not had a chance yet, but will do a trip report asap. Dune is loving great, you're in for such a treat! Now, you're gonna be tempted to play basic rules because advanced is complicated, and then you're gonna be part way through the basic game and be like "gently caress, this is awesome, I wish we'd done the full advanced rules now though". Then you'll play with advanced rules, but you'll be tempted to say "hmmm, I think the paying spice in combat rule is one rule too far". Let me just stop you there. Play with all of them. It's cool and good, once everyone starts partying it all kinda just makes sense and works! The only thing that remains confusing after the first round is what Karama cards can do, but honestly it's super funny when someone plays one and everyone round the table goes "wait you can do WHAT?!"

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2019/04/29/meet-matt-calkins-billionaire-board-game-god-and-techs-hidden-disruptor/#efc73216e77d

I did not know the designer of Sekigihara was a billionaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I remember when I used to be the kind of person who would've worshiped the ground this guy walked on.