Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I think either would be fine, though I'd prefer the latter. Right now I'm planning an episode about mass hysteria where I'm gonna focus in on the Daycare Satanic Panic and Antifa Supersolider caravans. Maybe frame it around how it was presented by right wing political/media organizations

thanks for giving it a shot! you're a good writer, thanks for the sick burns I suppose.

Alright I'll get serious for a minute. There are a couple of ways to make a decent podcast in this vein. You can get people who are funny individually and put them together, call it the Chapo method, but none of you seem like you're quick on the jokes at all. You can do a Trashfuture, where you all get super excited and yell a lot and its fun for the sheer energy even if half the riffs go nowhere, but this is Jeb! energy levels on display. Or you can do something like Qanon Anonymous, where none of the guys are comedians but the material is so fuckin out there it stands on its own, but your material might be well researched but it's fundamentally vague and joyless. Either get better poo poo to talk about, get some co-hosts who have actual chemistry and seem like they want to be involved, or pack it in and take up scrimshaw or something

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok, it's pretty bad. But it's not unfixably bad. I'm impressed with the lack of dead air. I know that sounds like damning with faint praise but it is genuinely impressive for the first episode of a podcast.

Basically you need to figure out your deal. What do you want this podcast to be, and tailor every aspect to that. Don't "ease in" to whatever you're going for, that doesn't make any sense. If you want to go in depth on a specific topic, then do that!

And you need to think about your guest situation because this one had one guest too many. What does your guest add? Why are they here? It can't just be that they have good chemistry with you, that's a friend not a cohost. If you're going to have different guests then it's on you to carry the bulk of the show and information presentation, and let the guest chime in with their own view. If you're going to have a recurring guest then you need to figure out what they can bring to the show, other than just being a guy who will share terrible found footage opinions.

Basically, figure out what you want your podcast to be, figure out how to make every part of the podcast assist the podcast in being what you want it to be, and then just do it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I mean loving seriously, The Poughkeepsie Tapes is the only good found footage movie? How do you have the balls to share opinions about found footage movies without even having seen Troll Hunter? or Rec, Rec 2, Quarantine, The Bay, As Above So Below, or loving Lake Mungo????

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Troll Hunter is so fuckin good

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Crane Fist posted:

Alright I'll get serious for a minute. There are a couple of ways to make a decent podcast in this vein. You can get people who are funny individually and put them together, call it the Chapo method, but none of you seem like you're quick on the jokes at all. You can do a Trashfuture, where you all get super excited and yell a lot and its fun for the sheer energy even if half the riffs go nowhere, but this is Jeb! energy levels on display. Or you can do something like Qanon Anonymous, where none of the guys are comedians but the material is so fuckin out there it stands on its own, but your material might be well researched but it's fundamentally vague and joyless. Either get better poo poo to talk about, get some co-hosts who have actual chemistry and seem like they want to be involved, or pack it in and take up scrimshaw or something

thank u for engaging like a human, much appreciated

Gripweed posted:

Ok, it's pretty bad. But it's not unfixably bad. I'm impressed with the lack of dead air. I know that sounds like damning with faint praise but it is genuinely impressive for the first episode of a podcast.

Basically you need to figure out your deal. What do you want this podcast to be, and tailor every aspect to that. Don't "ease in" to whatever you're going for, that doesn't make any sense. If you want to go in depth on a specific topic, then do that!

And you need to think about your guest situation because this one had one guest too many. What does your guest add? Why are they here? It can't just be that they have good chemistry with you, that's a friend not a cohost. If you're going to have different guests then it's on you to carry the bulk of the show and information presentation, and let the guest chime in with their own view. If you're going to have a recurring guest then you need to figure out what they can bring to the show, other than just being a guy who will share terrible found footage opinions.

Basically, figure out what you want your podcast to be, figure out how to make every part of the podcast assist the podcast in being what you want it to be, and then just do it.

The lack of dead air is probably because I had lots of material (quality non-withstanding), and I'm used to conducting broadcasts (many a goon warned me not to go to school for journalism but :v:)

Honestly, thanks for giving it even five minutes, the two of you. My family likes me too much to be critical :)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I think either would be fine, though I'd prefer the latter. Right now I'm planning an episode about mass hysteria where I'm gonna focus in on the Daycare Satanic Panic and Antifa Supersolider caravans. Maybe frame it around how it was presented by right wing political/media organizations

That's a good topic. You spend the bulk of the episode on the Satanic Panic, then ten minutes or so on the Antifa Caravans, then five minutes or so talking with your guest about the connections between them and wrapping up.

Honestly that could be a working structure for the whole show. bad thing from the past, bad thing from now, see how problems persist in different forms.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
ah gently caress nvm

snip

Goast has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Jun 19, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I mean loving seriously, The Poughkeepsie Tapes is the only good found footage movie? How do you have the balls to share opinions about found footage movies without even having seen Troll Hunter? or Rec, Rec 2, Quarantine, The Bay, As Above So Below, or loving Lake Mungo????

what if I'm not a fan of people stumbling around in their basement in 1992

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
brace found a globe emoji neoliberal account being outed for grooming a ton of young women, you can't make this poo poo up

the globe emoji never lies

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Position posted:

Then you should watch Troll Hunter

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shipon posted:

brace found a globe emoji neoliberal account being outed for grooming a ton of young women, you can't make this poo poo up

the globe emoji never lies

lol what

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

lol what

This was the original joke:

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1249771230493892616

This is from today:

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1273818505226444800

https://twitter.com/potatoman245/status/1273765540759318530

https://twitter.com/peaktransit/status/1273803381576892418

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you left out the best part: he's a zionist ucla professor who uses his work email to threaten to either commit suicide or sue them for defamation

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Phone posted:

you left out the best part: he's a zionist ucla professor who uses his work email to threaten to either commit suicide or sue them for defamation

globe emoji AND Israeli flag in display name :discourse:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol just incredible. guess it was Matt's turn on the lathe this week

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure this whole matt gaetz thing is a plot from a carl hiaasen novel

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

night danger posted:

Are there any good articles that critique White Fragility? I'm not subjecting even my worst enemy to Chapo.

https://newrepublic.com/article/156032/diversity-training-isnt-enough-pamela-newkirk-robin-diangelo-books-reviews

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm still lolling that even after i asked if anyone had actually read the book, and only one replied yes, the meltdowns still continued

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
love to be insanely pissed (possibly only because others are insanely pissed) about a book none of us have read. lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i've read like two chapters before putting it away

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Finicums Wake posted:

i'm still lolling that even after i asked if anyone had actually read the book, and only one replied yes, the meltdowns still continued

idk if there have been many if any meltdowns tbh

also i will never read a book by a pmc white lady about racism

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

the point is to de-emphasise the personal virtue aspect of anti-racist politics where (some conception of) racism and white racial bias is treated as an innate and essential sin and a permanent stain on someone's character

as one cannot interact with minority groups as equal and one cannot make common cause with others as equal, the racial bias must first be suppressed through various rituals. the problem is that this concept is both deeply alienating in practice and neuters most mass potential because many people won't be interested in increasingly arcane theoretical discussions before trying to change the world

from a ways back, but this helped me frame some of my past experiences and currently what with discussing current events with a cousin of mine, who is extremely "both extremes are bad" and links videos like that one of john cleese one about extremism
thanks

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Crane Fist posted:

You can do a Trashfuture, where you all get super excited and yell a lot and its fun for the sheer energy even if half the riffs go nowhere, but this is Jeb! energy levels on display.

see i gave a few episodes of trash future a listen and it was quite obvious they just recycle takes theyve heard on that week's chapo and parrot whatever words and turns of phrase have gone viral on twitter that week instead of having jokes. it was in the wake of one of them telling a disabled person to kill themselves because she sublets a room to a friend and once had to kick a rapist out of her house to protect her pals. it was just many levels of hosed up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

beep beep lettuce is the more listenable version of trashfuture

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gh0stpinballa posted:

it was in the wake of one of them telling a disabled person to kill themselves because she sublets a room to a friend and once had to kick a rapist out of her house to protect her pals. it was just many levels of hosed up.

yeah this is what kinda turned me off from that person's twitter account and Well There's Your Problem

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah this is what kinda turned me off from that person's twitter account and Well There's Your Problem

it was my first time encountering them directly. it was quite embarrassing how their version of will joined in with it all and said its bad to evict rapists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Victory Position posted:

That does not describe any of the movies I mentioned

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Finicums Wake posted:

love to be insanely pissed (possibly only because others are insanely pissed) about a book none of us have read. lol

you're like the third person to come in here yelling about continuous but invisible white meltdowns. this is OFF TOPIC to the SERIOUS BUSINESS of this thread. either identify the origins of WW2 or dunk on that guys babbys first podcast

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Often Abbreviated posted:

you're like the third person to come in here yelling about continuous but invisible white meltdowns. this is OFF TOPIC to the SERIOUS BUSINESS of this thread. either identify the origins of WW2 or dunk on that guys babbys first podcast

i didnt say the meltdowns were white ones, but nice way to show your rear end lol

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
great, I understand I have committed some unintelligible faux pas by the laws of the Race Science Thunderdome. I will prostrate myself before the Race Gods shortly. but in the meantime, stop dodging the actual issue and TELL ME WHEN WW2 STARTED?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Like Jesus it existed before time.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Phone posted:

what does academia do to people's brains? from adjuncts at community colleges to tenured professors at elite universities, every one I've known is a weirdo.

Finicums Wake posted:

I am always insanely pissed at Italian Americans

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

I am always insanely pissed at Italian Americans

WHOAAAA, EYYY whoaa whoaaa eyyy

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

StashAugustine posted:

its a shame pkd actually had a psychotic break and thought time stopped around 70AD and Nixon was literally Nero because it's such a good metaphor

Speaking of people ACTUALLY READING THE BOOK

I read philip k dicks exegisis about 18 months ago and it is really eye opening

it's a chronicle of his mental breakdown from an inside perspective and he goes off on some wild tangents and what not but some of his insights are incredibly profound and have become valuable to the way I perceive and understand the world

I learned a lot about Gnosticism in the process of reading it and researching the stuff he was saying to try to understand it better and a lot of that works nicely as a way to imagine the currents of thought and social organization in society

his attempts to uncover the deeper, emancipatory truth are similar to Q anon and alien conspiracists in that he seemed to imagine a set of circumstances which would bust us out of the black iron prison simply through knowledge rather than understanding things through a materialist lens. I believe that there is knowledge which works as a sort of psychological/spiritual armor which allows us to wade into the hellscape of our current circumstances and survive intact, but that this is a series of metaphors and heuristics rather than something that will unlock the seven seals and usher in a new world.

also he was convinced an alien satellite was beaming pink information beams into his head and was taking megadoses of vitamin c to unlock his true mind brain. Spurious at best.

it's a sad case of a person's fragile mental state being pushed over the edge by drug abuse, struggles with personal relationships and the government loving with him. Kind of like what happened to Roky Erikson

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mastershakeman posted:

i vaguely remember him getting his rear end kicked but not the details, what went down ?

Basically, Washington attacked a french fort while at peace with the french.

https://www.mountvernon.org/george-...in%20Washington's%20life%20and%20development.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

matt missed a huge angle in the new ep when he didn't bring up that the mcdonalds cop absolutely 100% ordered a round egg on her mcmuffin and that's why she had to wait

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gripweed posted:

That does not describe any of the movies I mentioned

it's a pretty good description of poughkeepsie tapes though. that movie fuckin sucked outside of the one creepy shot with the serial killer walking on all fours in the mask

drat now i wanna rewatch chronicle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hooplah posted:

it's a pretty good description of poughkeepsie tapes though. that movie fuckin sucked outside of the one creepy shot with the serial killer walking on all fours in the mask

drat now i wanna rewatch chronicle

Yeah The Poughkeepsie Tapes has it's strengths but I think a lot of it's acclaim comes from the mystique it gained during the decade it spent as a "forbidden" movie that you couldn't watch legally

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gh0stpinballa posted:

see i gave a few episodes of trash future a listen and it was quite obvious they just recycle takes theyve heard on that week's chapo and parrot whatever words and turns of phrase have gone viral on twitter that week instead of having jokes. it was in the wake of one of them telling a disabled person to kill themselves because she sublets a room to a friend and once had to kick a rapist out of her house to protect her pals. it was just many levels of hosed up.

you may have hit them on a bad week, maybe once or twice I heard something from the same week’s chapo but they’re smarter and sexier and funnier and more cspam. a lot of the times chapo will report on something they’ve covered a week or two earlier. their guest episodes and episodes around recent events in Britain, the tech industry, and finance are a lot more interesting than discussions on Harry Potter and the white fragility. I’ve no idea what you’re talking about btw is this recent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's a wide-held opinion in the thread. it's a messy podcast