Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

lord funk posted:

Looking forward / looking back are not mutually exclusive. Progress will be made whether apps are purged or not. You could freeze iOS and macOS for 5 years and it would make zero difference on whether new experiences would happen on the platform or not.

All I see is that Apple has zero respect for legacy software. They 100% subscribe to the idea that old == useless. But they forgot that old can equal classic, or vintage, or timeless.

That is not the thinking at all. Old things are deprecated or behavior is changed when there is a technical reason for it. There is a very large amount of engineering effort invested in compatibility to ensure apps continue to run. If you don't make these changes you end up with 30 years of cruft that make it impossible to change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Anyone have/know of any resources to study up for iOS system design interviews?

I’m past the programming stage with this company, so it’ll be me, a prompt, a virtual drawing surface, and the interviewer lobbing questions at me.

The question ended up being “architect Instagram.”

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 10, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Anyone here had to deal with Apple's developer verification process? The automated system keeps rejecting my ID (I think because of change of address sticker from the DMV). I've sent a note in to their support form, but am under a bit of a time crunch. Our developer account expires in 3 days, and the old owner isn't with the company anymore. The only way to renew is to complete the account transfer by verifying my ID, but so far none of the automated processes seem to be working. I get either 'unable to verify' or 'unable to connect', despite using good photos and being on strong wifi.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

frogbs posted:

Anyone here had to deal with Apple's developer verification process? The automated system keeps rejecting my ID (I think because of change of address sticker from the DMV). I've sent a note in to their support form, but am under a bit of a time crunch. Our developer account expires in 3 days, and the old owner isn't with the company anymore. The only way to renew is to complete the account transfer by verifying my ID, but so far none of the automated processes seem to be working. I get either 'unable to verify' or 'unable to connect', despite using good photos and being on strong wifi.

Give Apple a call maybe?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

awesomeolion posted:

Give Apple a call maybe?

Yeah, I ended up doing exactly this via the ‘please call me’ option and wow, they were so incredibly helpful and nice. They’re extending our renewal deadline until I’m able to get verified, and are having me process my ID via email. So far, one of the best support experiences I’ve had in a while.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

frogbs posted:

Yeah, I ended up doing exactly this via the ‘please call me’ option and wow, they were so incredibly helpful and nice. They’re extending our renewal deadline until I’m able to get verified, and are having me process my ID via email. So far, one of the best support experiences I’ve had in a while.

Developer support are really great, once you get beyond front-line and through to the right people. My last company painted themselves into a similar corner, associating the account holder AppleID with a 2FA phone number they lost, and a personal credit card of an employee who left, and I joined and spotted this a couple of weeks before renewal.

Frontline responses weren't really understanding the situation but once it got escalated they went above and beyond, doing their own due-diligence research and finding the head of HR's contact details (via LinkedIn maybe?) to verify I was who I said I was.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Pulcinella posted:

Has anyone tried to do work in RealityKit? It seems unfinished.

The documentation for ARView mentions things that don’t exist. This init method doesn’t exist. There also is no camera mode property as well.

It seems like it's meant for some improbable future where there needs to be coordination between multiple AR overlays in different parts of a room, when back in this reality one overlay is plenty and all the sample code is still done in SceneKit. Plus the ARKit tracking for just a single anchor is still pretty crappy without the LIDAR hardware no one has, so they're completely putting the cart before the horse.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

SaTaMaS posted:

It seems like it's meant for some improbable future where there needs to be coordination between multiple AR overlays in different parts of a room, when back in this reality one overlay is plenty and all the sample code is still done in SceneKit. Plus the ARKit tracking for just a single anchor is still pretty crappy without the LIDAR hardware no one has, so they're completely putting the cart before the horse.

I was alerted to it from this thread where an Apple employee mentions it (followed by a few people saying it doesn’t work). The thread makes it seem like SceneKit is basically dead in terms of active development (no surprise).I imagine it was something that was cut from iOS13 and the documentation was never removed, so I expect there will be another big push for AR during WWDC. Reality Composer is also pretty buggy.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

If I have bitcode disabled for an app extension (we include an external library that already targets armv8), wouldn't that prevent the containing app from building with bitcode too?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

brand engager posted:

If I have bitcode disabled for an app extension (we include an external library that already targets armv8), wouldn't that prevent the containing app from building with bitcode too?

An extension is a separate binary, so it's not obvious to me that disabling bitcode for it would affect the containing app. The extension won't get sorta-recompiled is all.

(I don't know that enabling bitcode does anything particularly useful, so I wouldn't worry about disabling it if it's convenient to do so.)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, most notably, we used watchOS bitcode to recompile everything on the store to arm64_32 for the Series 4.

I can't comment about other uses.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's just related to the dSym issue from before, still trying to track down why we have missing symbols on the crash tracking service. I checked the ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/Archives/[Date]/[App]/dSym folder on my machine and on our CI machine and they have different UUIDs for the same code. I think the missing symbols could be from one of the other devs building and installing from xcode on their local machine, but I have no way to verify that.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

We're redoing our app's UI and swapping to swiftUI since most of the old UI code will be rewritten. Hope this isn't going to turn out to be a nightmare to code.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

You don’t support < iOS 13?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

We did but we're going to set the minimum at 13.0 in this release.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Any particularly helpful or unhelpful resources? I picked up the objc.io book on SwiftUI, seems ok so far but I'm only a chapter in.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I've been using the tutorials here https://developer.apple.com/tutorials/swiftui/tutorials
but those only cover real basic stuff

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ah yeah those are great. Give that book a look if you grow unsatisfied.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

(edit) ah man, drat Apple firewall is fruity as hell.

Outgoing packets all ok, userid=0 RAW packets all ok, packets through Python and Wireshark all ok. Packets in C, no, blocked :wtf:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 19, 2020

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Have a new project that we got the go-ahead to be iOS 13+ on and are using SwiftUI - started in earnest this week. Loving feeling like a total newb, and it's incredibly easy to whip things up!

Definitely struggling with getting designs to match what my designers had in mind (custom table / section header background colors that work with safe areas in landscape for instance). Overall it's really cool though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I honestly can't shake the feeling that SwiftUI is abandonware. I haven't thought through it enough to give a solid argument for why that may be, but that's what my gut is telling me.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Pulcinella posted:

I was alerted to it from this thread where an Apple employee mentions it (followed by a few people saying it doesn’t work). The thread makes it seem like SceneKit is basically dead in terms of active development (no surprise).I imagine it was something that was cut from iOS13 and the documentation was never removed, so I expect there will be another big push for AR during WWDC. Reality Composer is also pretty buggy.

There's also this (https://www.bloombergquint.com/businessweek/apple-team-working-on-vr-and-ar-headset-and-ar-glasses)

quote:

Cody White, who helped develop Apple’s RealityKit software, which allows developers to implement 3D rendering in augmented-reality apps for the iPhone and iPad, quit in December

Not a good look!

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Stringent posted:

I honestly can't shake the feeling that SwiftUI is abandonware. I haven't thought through it enough to give a solid argument for why that may be, but that's what my gut is telling me.

The best reason I can come up with to use it is for large teams where the version control for storyboards would quickly become a nightmare. That's not a compelling reason for the vast majority of teams.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SaTaMaS posted:

The best reason I can come up with to use it is for large teams where the version control for storyboards would quickly become a nightmare. That's not a compelling reason for the vast majority of teams.

I have not seen a company of any size use storyboards since...2016?

My personal take is the moment the app becomes something you intend to release, lay out your views in code.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I saw this blog post about SwiftUI and how to approach it within your apps. I think this WWDC will give us a good idea of what Apple's long term plans for it are. I think the majority of apps seem to be getting simpler so SwiftUI will cover that majority. No idea what sort of divergence that will create with UIKit.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

I saw this blog post about SwiftUI and how to approach it within your apps. I think this WWDC will give us a good idea of what Apple's long term plans for it are. I think the majority of apps seem to be getting simpler so SwiftUI will cover that majority. No idea what sort of divergence that will create with UIKit.

I get the impression that React on the web allows for creating pretty complex applications. Is there any reason that the approach taken by SwiftUI will not allow for the same level of complexity UIKit does eventually?

That said, most apps, most of the time, have very simple use cases. In my limited experience switching between UIKit and SwiftUI in the same app hasn't been much of a problem, so even now while SwiftUI doesn't support more complex use cases (or even simple ones like changing a section header background color!) I'd still push to use SwiftUI.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Alternatively, is Swift's implementation of UIKit not already half baked enough to preclude any kind of major paradigm change like SwiftUI?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
SwiftUI is definitely not abandonware. I know there have been frameworks from Apple that have seemed like they went nowhere, but it’s not common, and all signs are that SwiftUI is not going to be one of them.

Stringent posted:

Alternatively, is Swift's implementation of UIKit not already half baked enough to preclude any kind of major paradigm change like SwiftUI?

Swift’s implementation of UIKit?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Stringent posted:

SwiftUI isn't really a paradigm change, it's a new layer of abstraction on top of UIKit.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

My personal take is the moment the app becomes something you intend to release, lay out your views in code.

It must be wonderful to not have to worry about capricious UX designers

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SaTaMaS posted:

It must be wonderful to not have to worry about capricious UX designers

I guess I've been extremely lucky - most recent job all design work was done in figma, one before that was...sketch, I believe.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Stringent posted:

SwiftUI is the best way to create new UI for Apple platforms. It isn't going anywhere.

SaTaMaS posted:

SwiftUI isn't really a paradigm change, it's a new layer of abstraction on top of UIKit.

SwiftUI already handles some things directly. In other cases it does delegate to underlying UIKit or AppKit code but one of the points of the design is you don't need to care. If SwiftUI renders text with CoreText, UILabel, or something else entirely that's irrelevant to you.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plenty of projects use storyboards.

quote:

Nah.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Stringent posted:

There isn’t a Swift “implementation of UIKit,” it’s a Swift interface to UIKit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rjmccall posted:

SwiftUI is definitely not abandonware. I know there have been frameworks from Apple that have seemed like they went nowhere, but it’s not common, and all signs are that SwiftUI is not going to be one of them.

Ok, that's reassuring, next project we do that's iOS 13+ I'll begin using it.

rjmccall posted:

Swift’s implementation of UIKit?

Right, misspoke.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 20, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Using the storyboard part of storyboards seems to be pretty rare, but ignoring segues and using a storyboard per screen certainly isn’t.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Plorkyeran posted:

Using the storyboard part of storyboards seems to be pretty rare, but ignoring segues and using a storyboard per screen certainly isn’t.

Would there be a reason to do this over using xibs?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

101 posted:

Static UITableViews? Maybe that's possible with xibs now.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

101 posted:

If you needed a customized UINavigationItem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

I also found this* https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/134001?answerId=423820022#423820022

I haven’t had a chance to check but maybe the .nonAr camera mode is automatically set in the simulator and there is no error message (or documentation) to say this the case. I thought I tried on a physical device but maybe I didn’t.

* Forum tags are up
https://developer.apple.com/support/forums-tags/