Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EVIL Gibson posted:

I use pi hole (ad block via dns) which still doesn't explain it because I am on the same network as my PC. The router uses the pihole as the DNS to give to clients via dhcp so every client uses it invisibly.

Ill check the query logs. Maybe mobile app uses "m.youtube.com" or something.

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/commonly-whitelisted-domains/212

That's got the YouTube history thing you have to whitelist but its odd about the PC you're right

Does it record history if you watch on mobile data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does it block promoted tweets?

Yeah, uBlock Origin blocks those.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kassad posted:

Yeah, uBlock Origin blocks those.

Wonderful, that's like 90% of what I hated about the app.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skarsnik posted:

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/commonly-whitelisted-domains/212

That's got the YouTube history thing you have to whitelist but its odd about the PC you're right

Does it record history if you watch on mobile data?

I didn't have a chance to test mobile data, but I already figured it out.

The mobile version of youtube was being blocked by calling "s.youtube.com". After whitelisting that domain, the history feature on the app was then working.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

vyst posted:

They stopped the migration service, may be on hold for a bit

They didn't stop it, they put the actual migration on delay. It'll still happen, just take longer.

You can still be accepted in, there will just be a warning letting you know it'll take longer to migrate but will still happen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

They didn't stop it, they put the actual migration on delay. It'll still happen, just take longer.

You can still be accepted in, there will just be a warning letting you know it'll take longer to migrate but will still happen.

I was pretty excited for this until I read there's no way to download your library anymore. I wonder if that's possible via Takeout? I'm only keeping it there as a backup anyway.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm just seeing this on https://music.youtube.com/transfer:

I don't see any option to transfer inside Youtube Music app itself. Allegedly "Transfer" should be under settings, but I don't see it. Is the ability to transfer something that is rolled out gradually to different accounts.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

incogneato posted:

I'm just seeing this on https://music.youtube.com/transfer:

I don't see any option to transfer inside Youtube Music app itself. Allegedly "Transfer" should be under settings, but I don't see it. Is the ability to transfer something that is rolled out gradually to different accounts.

Yah, you will see that screen until it rolls out to your account as Google's doing what they always do and gradually rolling it out to accounts. When it does roll out, it'll show up as a notification in the app and on the website.

Once you start the transfer, you can close the app or site. It's all server-side after that. You'll get an e-mail for when it's over though.

This is what you'll see when it's rolled out to your account.

LastInLine posted:

I was pretty excited for this until I read there's no way to download your library anymore. I wonder if that's possible via Takeout? I'm only keeping it there as a backup anyway.

I never bought music from Google and just uploaded my own or played what they had available. But I have like one or two free songs and I'll check in a bit if you can get it via Takeout.

From what I can tell, it doesn't take it from GPM to YTM permanently, it'll all stay on GPM, just YTM can use it too?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are they actually transferring files or doing that music match thing that has screwed up my library in the past?

(personally love when GPM decided to replace files with "better versions" years after my initial upload, only for those files to be censored, the wrong version, or the wrong song, effectively gaslighting me into questioning the music I've owned for years)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

Are they actually transferring files or doing that music match thing that has screwed up my library in the past?

(personally love when GPM decided to replace files with "better versions" years after my initial upload, only for those files to be censored, the wrong version, or the wrong song, effectively gaslighting me into questioning the music I've owned for years)

They actually transfer files over. It moved files over that did not upload when I added them via the YTM uploader.

Granted, I also uploaded my music like weeks ago when it became available to me and so it only had like 58 songs that it had to transfer over.

All of my playlists made it over and I can merge them into one SUPER playlist which honestly is kind of dumb because it doesn't load the entire list and it's one of those "scroll to the bottom, load, scroll to the new bottom, load, keep going until you hit the last song" things so 1000+ songs can take a while.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've always assumed that Google compares checksums of uploaded files to what they already have, and uploads a file only if there's no match.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've been on GPM for like 5 years or more, and I still do not have the transfer option.

One of my biggest gripes is that you can request the censored versions, but the is no way to ride uncensored. I never want to hear an edited song. They're annoying, and that request makes me feel like a dumb edgy teen.
Also, I dislike live recordings. I'd like to be able to request they get removed from the rotation. Another option I want is to be able to listen to random (full) albums based on a genre.

It's like the PLAY teams don't actually listen to music themselves. I don't Spotify his theses either. All of these services are trying to replicate the radio experience, and not the music collection experience.

/gripe

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

It's like the PLAY teams don't actually listen to music themselves. I don't Spotify his theses either. All of these services are trying to replicate the radio experience, and not the music collection experience.

/gripe

I agree with all of this, with the caveat that it was never about "the experience" with Google, it's a checklist item (admittedly an important one) that you need if you're going to run a platform.

Apple does or maybe used to have a "give me explicit versions" option but I've never used it (their music service, not the option). Being fair to Apple, it seems they once really did care about the user back in the Steve days but I'd be hesitant to believe they care about anything but money now. Whether that means their music product is any good I don't really know, but with most new Apple things, it means it's probably not as good as it used to be. Still, perhaps worth a try?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

deong posted:

I've been on GPM for like 5 years or more, and I still do not have the transfer option.

One of my biggest gripes is that you can request the censored versions, but the is no way to ride uncensored. I never want to hear an edited song. They're annoying, and that request makes me feel like a dumb edgy teen.
Also, I dislike live recordings. I'd like to be able to request they get removed from the rotation. Another option I want is to be able to listen to random (full) albums based on a genre.

/gripe

I remember using pandora quite a while ago, and some song comes on that I'm sick of. I tell it to put that song on hold for a while. The next song is the live version of the same song. I put that on hold, and then a different live version of the same song comes on.

Youtube music seems to think that music videos are also a valid version to put into the rotation. It was really annoying when it's a really "cinematic" video, with long action interludes in the middle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

deong posted:

/gripe
Spotify is atrocious for this and why I don't use it. The 10k library limit is tiny, you can't add music they don't have, and every piece of the interface makes it clear they just want you to hit "SHUFFLE" and hope their algorithm plays things you like, even when you open a specific album.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Spotify is atrocious for this and why I don't use it. The 10k library limit is tiny, you can't add music they don't have, and every piece of the interface makes it clear they just want you to hit "SHUFFLE" and hope their algorithm plays things you like, even when you open a specific album.

The 10k library limit was lifted recently, although you can still only download up to 10k tracks to each device for offline use.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21270409/spotify-song-library-limit-removed-music-downloads-playlists-feature

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

repiv posted:

The 10k library limit was lifted recently, although you can still only download up to 10k tracks to each device for offline use.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21270409/spotify-song-library-limit-removed-music-downloads-playlists-feature

Oh! That's good to know! Doesn't really change my gripe that I can't add music I get elsewhere if they don't have it. Maybe I'll take another look and see how much is actually missing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just put my music on my SD card and play it with PowerAmp. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't want multiple apps to do one thing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Kheldarn posted:

:same:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Preach, brother. Except I also use Rocket Player when I need Android Auto support.

Edit: Wait, my phone doesn't have an SD card. I put the music on internal storage.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

It's a little annoying that Youtube Music requires you to create a Youtube channel. I'm not particularly married to my playlists, so I'd be fine with a 'nah get rid of them' option; I'd still rather not delete them just to find out though, any idea if you can use YTM without a channel?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's annoying. If only Google had a single profile that you could use across all their services oh wait.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Does YouTube Music pre-download "stations" for offline use yet? That's pretty much the only feature that I need from GPM.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I remember using pandora quite a while ago, and some song comes on that I'm sick of. I tell it to put that song on hold for a while. The next song is the live version of the same song. I put that on hold, and then a different live version of the same song comes on.

It used to be (like 10 or 15 years ago when I started using it) a lot smarter (for me anyway), but yeah it can be dumb as a box of rocks sometimes. Both in ways like you just said, and also by making some baffling song choices for me, no matter how much I tried to teach it what I like (and don't like). I don't know if it was actually being dumb, or if it was like trying too hard to expand my musical horizons, or some other thing, but it frustrated the hell out of me sometimes. Now that I've finally gotten on the Spotify bandwagon, I won't be giving it another chance for a long while, if ever. I do wish Spotify operated a little more like pandora (mainly the thumbs up/down thing), but it's so good at not giving me duds, so eh. Maybe the Music Genome Project just isn't very good with the genres and styles I like, but that seems hard to believe. My tastes may not be mainstream (esp in the US), but they are hardly niche or super esoteric either. :shrug:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Any current recommendation for a darksky replacement? I know it's going away soon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

It's a little annoying that Youtube Music requires you to create a Youtube channel. I'm not particularly married to my playlists, so I'd be fine with a 'nah get rid of them' option; I'd still rather not delete them just to find out though, any idea if you can use YTM without a channel?

I'm sure you can, but what harm is there in setting up your YouTube account to store your, um, YouTube Music data? It's hardly surprising they make you use the YouTube structures for managing your YouTube data. Just set it all to private and be done with it if you're going to use it.

Uthor posted:

That's annoying. If only Google had a single profile that you could use across all their services oh wait.

Google did a great job unifying their profiles, though if you remember YouTube users threw the biggest hissy fit about the whole thing. I can't recall if when the unification came around to YouTube they had the multiple channels/one login thing fully baked (this is Google, so I assume they did not). If you want to see bad profile unification, take a look at the job Microsoft did sometime. It's still possible that some limitation of some long-dead MS service to cause login problems on entirely new and completely unrelated services a decade or two later. Google didn't get a lot right with G+, but they did do profiles correctly, somehow.

Dyscrasia posted:

Any current recommendation for a darksky replacement? I know it's going away soon.

If you go back a few pages I know it was discussed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It used to be (like 10 or 15 years ago when I started using it) a lot smarter (for me anyway), but yeah it can be dumb as a box of rocks sometimes. Both in ways like you just said, and also by making some baffling song choices for me, no matter how much I tried to teach it what I like (and don't like). I don't know if it was actually being dumb, or if it was like trying too hard to expand my musical horizons, or some other thing, but it frustrated the hell out of me sometimes. Now that I've finally gotten on the Spotify bandwagon, I won't be giving it another chance for a long while, if ever. I do wish Spotify operated a little more like pandora (mainly the thumbs up/down thing), but it's so good at not giving me duds, so eh. Maybe the Music Genome Project just isn't very good with the genres and styles I like, but that seems hard to believe. My tastes may not be mainstream (esp in the US), but they are hardly niche or super esoteric either. :shrug:

I've tried Pandora a few times and always hated it. I start listening to Stereolab and end up at Guns'n'Roses four songs later. Ok they're technically all rock, but c'mon. Spotify does genres better, something they've talked about somewhere but I don't have a link to hand. It's basically finer grained and with more separation between sub genres. But doing only that would lock you into what you were already listening to. So the big difference was achieving some critical mass in user made playlists. Then they had enough data to say "people who like x also like y". This made things like Discover Weekly completely amazing. I didn't use playlists before, but I had to start to keep track of all the great stuff I was discovering. It does have bad weeks, but I forgive it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure you can, but what harm is there in setting up your YouTube account to store your, um, YouTube Music data? It's hardly surprising they make you use the YouTube structures for managing your YouTube data. Just set it all to private and be done with it if you're going to use it.

Because I've no interest whatsoever in vlogging, blogging, streaming, liking, or even really interacting with the 'social broadcasting platform' that is Youtube, beyond watching videos and then closing the tab. It doesn't matter that the information I put into the thing can be set as 'private' after the fact, I resent the fact that I'm now apparently *required* to create a channel on the platform in order to continue listening to my music collection.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spincube posted:

Because I've no interest whatsoever in vlogging, blogging, streaming, liking, or even really interacting with the 'social broadcasting platform' that is Youtube, beyond watching videos and then closing the tab. It doesn't matter that the information I put into the thing can be set as 'private' after the fact, I resent the fact that I'm now apparently *required* to create a channel on the platform in order to continue listening to my music collection.

"Channel" is just a synonym for profile. You can't press like or upload any data on Facebook without having a profile, you can't save anything on YouTube without having a channel. You don't need to put anything on your channel of course, not even your real name. Although it would be funny if you started reluctantly vlogging because you were forced into having a channel.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

"Channel" is just a synonym for profile. You can't press like or upload any data on Facebook without having a profile, you can't save anything on YouTube without having a channel. You don't need to put anything on your channel of course, not even your real name.

I've got a *something* on Youtube, as I'm currently subscribed to a handful of channels so I'm notified when new videos are uploaded:

...and this is definitely without having a Youtube channel:

...which is why the idea that the GPM transfer process *requires* I create a YT channel, apparently to preserve my GPM playlists, doesn't ring true to me.

quote:

Although it would be funny if you started reluctantly vlogging because you were forced into having a channel.
Just staying ahead of the 'videos of people watching people watching videos' wave

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spincube posted:

Gotcha, my bad. But it is sort of like having a profile in that now nobody can click on a thing to see your public playlist (although you can make your playlists public).

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Dyscrasia posted:

The API is going to be available until the end of 2021, so any other app that uses it will (in theory) still work. I've liked Today Weather.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

I've got a *something* on Youtube, as I'm currently subscribed to a handful of channels so I'm notified when new videos are uploaded:

...which is why the idea that the GPM transfer process *requires* I create a YT channel, apparently to preserve my GPM playlists, doesn't ring true to me.

Just staying ahead of the 'videos of people watching people watching videos' wave

Like Ola, I believed channel and profile were interchangeable on YouTube. Since I know I've never created a channel as shown in your picture I went to my YouTube page to see that there is indeed a link to "My channel" already there. What's in there? Why it's the only playlist I've ever created on YouTube Music.

But wait, if I didn't create this channel what are the privacy settings for it? It took me a lot of poking around to figure what I was sharing and with whom before I found that you can hide a channel and it exists without being public. It was buried enough that now I'm a little peeved at having to create a channel in order to make a playlist too. It does seem to be quite a weird requirement, especially given how public it is by default.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does YT Music just suck for offline play? My wife downloaded a bunch of songs to her phone yesterday, then we went for a drive out with spotty cell service, and were unable to play said songs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Deeters posted:

Does YT Music just suck for offline play? My wife downloaded a bunch of songs to her phone yesterday, then we went for a drive out with spotty cell service, and were unable to play said songs.

I have like 1700 songs downloaded and it seems to be pretty okay? I've only had issues if it's deemed a children's song and you didn't upload it yourself. Then you can't have background play which is lovely. But that's YouTube at the moment.

EDIT: I don't even think you can download songs deemed for kids. Not sure. I don't have em so I haven't tried.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Works for me. The offline mixtape has been really good for long train journeys

Remember them?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember having trouble playing GPM saved offline because the service was trying to stream it (which I wasn't subscribed to) instead of playing my own copy. Maybe that's happening?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I turned on Smart Downloads 4 days ago in YTM and so far it ain't downloaded diddly. Very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

We have the old GPM/YouTube bundle, so I don't think subscriptions are the problem. It's specifically a ~900 song playlist, and she was able to play it on GPM (set to downloaded only) just fine. It was also giving us trouble just playing over WiFi at home today, so I guess I just need to play with the settings more.