Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shine posted:

Granted I didn't mess much with mods, but Skyrim VR was pretty bad

No you're totally right.
Put it this way: If mods weren't a thing with Skyrim VR (or even normal Skyrim lmao) I wouldn't play them. Mods though turn Skyrim into something else.

Elder Scrolls games without mods will always be trash and Bethesda owes their entire existence to modders. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

deadly_pudding posted:

I hadn't thought of it before, but how does the sneaking work in those bethsoft VR ports? Do you have to like squat down like in the originals?

Toggle button that lowers the camera. My knees hurt just imagining having to physically crouch to sneak.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Now that I built a beefy pc and can do pcvr games via link, what are some of the best experiences. Don't care about action/shooting combat poo poo, but more meditative, atmospheric, awe inspiring, moody, or lowkey stuff. I've already tried No Man's Sky vr and love it. A couple of years ago someone built a replica of Deckard's apartment from Blade Runner in unity vr before he got shut down by the production company and it owns. poo poo like that.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1204731822978255/?locale=en_US

Not a full game, but it hits all those notes better than almost anything else (it's essentially flying around in Blade Runner)

Also 1000% recommend Lone Echo, but, uh, you should play it last. It's head and shoulders above almost everything else IMO and it might ruin other stuff for you

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's barely a vr game but Tetris Effect is chill as hell.

Rez Infinite is good fun.

Beat Saber obviously.

If you can stomach flight sims, DCS World is supposed to be great. It made me airsick within seconds of starting a flight. This also happened the last (and only) time I flew a real aircraft so it's either a very good sim or a bad vr implementation. I can't say which.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Tip posted:

Oh drat, I've been thinking about picking that up for a while because I really enjoyed Dirt Rally with my old rear end Logitech Driving Force GT. Is that what you're using?
Logitech Momo, but you're in the same boat http://blog.codemasters.com/community/02/dirt-rally-2-0-supported-peripherals-list/ . I mean your wheel might work, but the force feedback won't and that was really noticeable coming from Dirt Rally where I had full force feedback support.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 19, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Great Beer posted:

If you can stomach flight sims, DCS World is supposed to be great. It made me airsick within seconds of starting a flight. This also happened the last (and only) time I flew a real aircraft so it's either a very good sim or a bad vr implementation. I can't say which.

does DCS world even run fast enough for VR? low FPS is the ultimate killer.

i played a bunch of VTOL VR and didn't get sick at all.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Inacio posted:

DCS needs to be on a SSD. It's insane how choppy it is on a HDD.

Upgraded my drive last month and it made a world of difference.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Inacio posted:

If you download some custom shades and do a bunch of tweaks and blah blah loving blah, then DCS will run at more or less 45fps'ish.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Shine posted:

If you download some custom shades and do a bunch of tweaks and blah blah loving blah, then DCS will run at more or less 45fps'ish.

yeeeeeeeeah that'd definitely cause some nausea. :v

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

god drat that looks great

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This legit pushed me over the edge to order the rift s.

It’s gonna be a blast.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Got a virtual hardon just watching that

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Origami Dali posted:

Now that I built a beefy pc and can do pcvr games via link, what are some of the best experiences. Don't care about action/shooting combat poo poo, but more meditative, atmospheric, awe inspiring, moody, or lowkey stuff. I've already tried No Man's Sky vr and love it. A couple of years ago someone built a replica of Deckard's apartment from Blade Runner in unity vr before he got shut down by the production company and it owns. poo poo like that.

If you're looking for atmospheric and less shooty theres a few things to recommend.

If you like space stuff, take a look at Mission ISS, its a free virtual creation of the space station you can float through and explore, its free so, worth a look.

Like others recommending Lone Echo, absolutely killer atmosphere and presentation.

If you like blade runner stuff, you could check out aircar as recommended, but also look at Technolust. It was a rift launch game in 2016 so the gameplay hasn't exactly aged well, but it still has a cyberpunk vibe like few things do, and if you catch it on sale might be worth it for that reason alone.

Also if you pre-order the sequel to technolust, Low-Fi VR, thats being worked on you can get access to the alpha build. Theres not anything to really do in it, but it has THE best cyberpunk scenes to explore that i've ever seen in VR.

I think its like, $5 bucks, but theres a short game called "Freediver" where you have to swim through and escape a sinking boat. Really pretty and well done, but its only like, 1-2 hours. Still, fits atmospheric and neat.

Its another launch game, but it still looks wonderfully beautiful and atmospheric, Chronos. Its a 3rd person dark soulsish type game, a good length too, and actually had a non VR sequel recently, that Remnant game.

The Climb fits the bill pretty well of atmospheric meditative games. You climb mountains in beautiful crytek glory, though its often fairly pricey.

If you're someone interesting in art or graffiti, theres a game "kingspray" where you basically can go, in single or multiplayer, around painting the sides of buildings, trains at night, subway cars etc. Pretty cool and atmospheric especially the places at night like the trainyard where it almost feels like some security guard is going to shine his flashlight at you at any moment.

Obduction is from the guys who did Myst, sort of a spiritual successor. Has some performance issues, but it very much fits the bill of what you're describing.

Wilson's Heart is a few years old, and its almost more of a ~6 hour interactive movie as the puzzles are very easy, but it has a wonderful style. The whole thing is a black and white homage to 50's horror films. If you catch it on sale, its another thing thats really wonderful to explore despite its limitations.

Tetris Effect is another fantaaaasticly atmospheric game. Its... well... tetris. But with sounds and visuals.

The Apollo 11 experience is well done if you're interested in spaceflight history. Pretty self explanatory, and not really a game, but you get to experience all the parts of the mission.

Aaaaaand I'm starting to draw a blank on non combaty atmospheric stuff. I know I'm missing a lot of stuff.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The paper beast demo is great, can't wait for the whole thing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Skyrim VR on steam sale for $18, worth it? Having done Skyrim back in the day already, of course.

I got it for full price and I felt like it was worth it. With mods you can swap weapons and spells around without having to open the inventory so you can do stuff like this and go from casting spells, getting out swords, pulling out a crossbow all midfight.

And there is a mod that puts your character's body in which is great for immersion and you can do... this

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Thoatse posted:

Got a virtual hardon just watching that

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Good GDC talk by the developers of Until You Fall on how they realized that chasing extreme fidelity and immersion in VR is a trap.
https://youtu.be/XOSwA9D7tb0

I had the similar feelings myself with some VR games, particularly that was one of the big issues with Alyx for me where the game was made to look extremely high fidelity and it literally start off by presenting to you new levels of world interaction fidelity that you've never seen before (drawing with markers) but then the rest of the game doesn't support that in any way and you just get extremely frustrated that you aren't able to do the things you were expecting to be able to do, but they managed to put it into words the way I couldn't before.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah I'm happy to quit my naysaying now and enjoy that this looks good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God I pray they just say gently caress it and let people mod in the Death Star trench run and whatever else from the movies and/or Rogue Squadron.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wow, yeah. Looks like a modern version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter but in VR and I'm totally down for that.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that looks great. Now how do I mount a Quest to a motorcycle helmet?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

no way in loving hell i'm preordering an EA game (or any AAA lol) but as soon as reviews roll out and it's positive i'm probably getting this.
VR with hotas support? hell yes

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

No HOTAS with VR, just gamepad/keyboard and mouse

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mustache Ride posted:

I bet that'll change REAL fast with a patch or mod.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I think that just means it doesn't use VR hand controllers, not that it doesn't support HOTAS in VR.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

If you really like Blade Runner stuff there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDuNZRtZrp8 but it does have the combat stuff.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

a dev said so on twitter so it has to be true!

but really, does steam actually have hotas indicators? never noticed it

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kazy posted:

I think that just means it doesn't use VR hand controllers, not that it doesn't support HOTAS in VR.
Yeah I don't think Steam has a tag for HOTAS support. For reference here's X-Plane 11:

They just get lumped under the general "controller" listing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Here to confirm now that Oculus Quest fuckin owns. I just spent like 90 minutes loving around in Superhot and SculptVR. My only real complaint isn't the Quest's fault, it's that I currently have just barely the 6x6 square of empty floor space where I can be at least 80% sure I won't step on a cat.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Valve just added support for real-time 3D environment reconstruction for the Index cameras.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2471861771402099478

Works surprisingly well even.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

Here to confirm now that Oculus Quest fuckin owns. I just spent like 90 minutes loving around in Superhot and SculptVR. My only real complaint isn't the Quest's fault, it's that I currently have just barely the 6x6 square of empty floor space where I can be at least 80% sure I won't step on a cat.

You know if you have a spotter you can just go outside with it. I went to one of the upper floors of a parking garage where no one is bothering to drive up that high right now and got like 100x100 area with Guardian disabled. Or you could go to a baseball / football field where the markings on the ground will allow it to track, or if they shut your office down you could be the only one in there. Just don't let sunlight hit the lens.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rectus posted:

Valve just added support for real-time 3D environment reconstruction for the Index cameras.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2471861771402099478

Oh cool, I can't wait until my meetings are over to try this.

I don't even care if it's rough or whatever, just the fact that they're not just totally giving up on the cameras they stuffed in there is nice to see.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mustache Ride posted:

Annoying if true but even if this is the case it just means an extra layer of preflight bullshit to emulate kb/m or gamepad to use my preferred hardware because lmao at not using HOTAS for a flying game in VR

Hopefully it's just the lack of specification categories on Steam that makes it motion controllers vs gamepad

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mustache Ride posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean that HOTAS isn't supported. I mean, here's what IL-2 Sturmovik's store page says, and it definitely supports HOTAS setups:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rectus posted:

Heh, I guess I need to clean up my living room before making a capture.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1273020039885660161

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Holy poo poo EA, please do not screw this up.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Shine posted:

They'll find a way. Everyone gets an new, original fighter craft that kinda sucks and you can unlock the X wing with a mere hundred hours of gameplay or 2000 EA funbux (sold in 1700 funbuck increments of course). Or you might get an A-wing because the fighter you unlock will be random and you'll have to grind that 100 hours again to try your luck next time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shine posted:

My fear is that the game is focused mainly on mp while the single player campaign will be relegated to be something generic, short and forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah that looks great. Now how do I mount a Quest to a motorcycle helmet?