Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doesn't Cherubael experience True Death at some point and then turn up later in both his relative and sidereal timeframes and just be all "I got better"? I know he isn't experiencing the trilogy in the same order as Eisenhorn is at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arquinsiel posted:

Doesn't Cherubael experience True Death at some point and then turn up later in both his relative and sidereal timeframes and just be all "I got better"? I know he isn't experiencing the trilogy in the same order as Eisenhorn is at least.

Nah, that's his buddy Prophaniti who gets wiped from existence. The closest Cherubael gets is when he gets jumped by Glaw's daemonhost to remove him from the final battle.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It’s paradox because by virtue of the first murder happening in the first place is proof it cannot be killed in the future and retroactively not happen

Because it would have never happened in the first place

It’s occurrence at all means it either cannot be destroyed in the future or it’s destruction doesn’t change its occurring.

All of a sudden B'ob, the Second Murder, becomes immensely powerful and has no idea why anyone even cares. Deeply confused by everything that's going on, he's just happy to be appreciated.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I'm finally at the Alpha Legion Horus Heresy book and I think it's my favorite so far.

I love the focus on all the wierd cyberpunk gene-edited units that carried over from the unification wars. Also all of the cultures of the Grand Crusade. The Imperial Army, the Remembrancers and the Administrators are all so diverse and interesting, it really drives home how homogenous all the space marines and primarchs are by comparison.

Also all the 'I am Sparticus' bits of the Alpha Legion are fun.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Read the ending and then tell us your thoughts.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Valdor was a really cool book just for getting a peek at Unification. It's interesting that the Heresy is obviously much more important for the universe but the unification period is fascinating for being kind of overlooked or just assumed to have happened. The emergence of the new space marines and the comparison with the Thunder Warriors was pretty cool. It's kind of cool to imagine there might be a handful of those first legionnaires still present when their primarchs are discovered or even maybe one still running around in the Eye

That said it might also be that the Heresy is so fleshed out now and so I'm busy enjoying a new hotness...

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Can’t wait for all those Unification wars audio dramas we’ll be getting.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Unification Wars: the Mad Max of the 29th millenium.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MrNemo posted:

Valdor was a really cool book just for getting a peek at Unification. It's interesting that the Heresy is obviously much more important for the universe but the unification period is fascinating for being kind of overlooked or just assumed to have happened. The emergence of the new space marines and the comparison with the Thunder Warriors was pretty cool. It's kind of cool to imagine there might be a handful of those first legionnaires still present when their primarchs are discovered or even maybe one still running around in the Eye

That said it might also be that the Heresy is so fleshed out now and so I'm busy enjoying a new hotness...

A bunch of the firstish terran legionnaires are present when the primarchs were discovered.

The legions that went traitor culled them out though because they tended to be Loyalists.

Garro was one. There are several other named ones.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 18, 2020

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

Read the ending and then tell us your thoughts.

Just did. Fun book.

It's interesting how Alpharius/Omegon are the only primarch so far that doesn't seem like a petulant man child that throws a tantrum when things don't go his way. All the other primarchs get super mad and instantly resort to violence and anger when challenged. Maybe it's from living apart from everyone for centuries and having to mature on his own without being told he's a special super kid.

Also they don't have that effect the other primarchs do where everyone is star struck when they meet them. Which means it's something the Primarchs can maybe suppress? For the other ones it's supposedly so obvious there is no way you could miss that they were Primarchs.

Maybe that's part of why Alpharious seems so chill, he can get over himself and pretend to be a regular Astartes, or even a regular dude. I can't imagine any of the others doing that. Though I'm only on book 7.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Telsa Cola posted:

A bunch of the firstish terran legionnaires are present when the primarchs were discovered.

The legions that went traitor culled them out though because they tended to be Loyalists.

Kharn is another early legionnaire too. He's Terran, and is from somewhere in the Balkans as I recall.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

Kharn is another early legionnaire too. He's Terran, and is from somewhere in the Balkans as I recall.

I knew that when heresy broke out it would be because of some drat fool in the balkans.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Telsa Cola posted:

A bunch of them are terrans but I'm specifically thinking of those first founding marines, pre chapters that fought the final battles of unification. I don't think there's a single non perpetual figure who witnessed all of that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SerCypher posted:

I knew that when heresy broke out it would be because of some drat fool in the balkans.
:golfclap:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holy terra has a moon and sister planets like we do tho

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

In Saturnine there is a proto-astartes from even before the ones you see in Valdor. He was before even the primarchs so his gene line is from the emperor not a primarch. I hope we get to see more of him at some point, or even his origin story.

I really think the fact that they are introducing more characters like that means we will eventually get some unification war books. Just like the HH was random tidbits here and there before we got the series, now we are getting tidbits of Unification Wars stuff.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SerCypher posted:

Hah! Speaking of, it never made much sense for Cain's murder to get the name 'End of Empires' compared to this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arbite posted:

Hah! Speaking of, it never made much sense for Cain's murder to get the name 'End of Empires' compared to this.

Well maybe Drach'nyen did some other stuff over the milennia. Perhaps he's the reason Princip stopped to get that sandwich.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

SerCypher posted:

Also they don't have that effect the other primarchs do where everyone is star struck when they meet them. Which means it's something the Primarchs can maybe suppress? For the other ones it's supposedly so obvious there is no way you could miss that they were Primarchs.

Maybe that's part of why Alpharious seems so chill, he can get over himself and pretend to be a regular Astartes, or even a regular dude. I can't imagine any of the others doing that. Though I'm only on book 7.

The "Primarch aura" seems to be something they can dial up and down as necessary, at least for some of them.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well maybe Drach'nyen did some other stuff over the milennia. Perhaps he's the reason Princip stopped to get that sandwich.

Drach'nyen reaches out, exerting his Warp-fueled will to the utmost. Walking down the street, Princip's stomach rumbles.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

The "Primarch aura" seems to be something they can dial up and down as necessary, at least for some of them.

Yeah, Corax can slip about unnoticed and Curze can do the Batman "poo poo he's behind me" thing, which is impressive when you're a gigantic demigod wearing what constitutes to a battle tank.

It's funny that the sisters see the Emperor as a normal man, but in The Last Church the Emperor is wearing a cloaking field to appear to be a normal sized guy causing the wooden pews to creak more than they should.

So possibly he's a normal sized guy projecting a god level pysker aura to appear as a 9 foot warrior-diety wearing a cloaking field to pretend to be a normal guy... :psyduck:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The Emperor is basically the Plot made manifest, he's going to be whatever the writer needs him to be at any given moment.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Dog_Meat posted:

Yeah, Corax can slip about unnoticed and Curze can do the Batman "poo poo he's behind me" thing, which is impressive when you're a gigantic demigod wearing what constitutes to a battle tank.

It's funny that the sisters see the Emperor as a normal man, but in The Last Church the Emperor is wearing a cloaking field to appear to be a normal sized guy causing the wooden pews to creak more than they should.

So possibly he's a normal sized guy projecting a god level pysker aura to appear as a 9 foot warrior-diety wearing a cloaking field to pretend to be a normal guy... :psyduck:

drat, maybe Alpharius actually was the planned replacement for the emperor, cause that poo poo seems confusing for confusing sake.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

wrt to time travel there's at least one orc who went back in time to murder themself so they could have twice as many guns with zero problems beyond murdering themself

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ardent Communist posted:

drat, maybe Alpharius actually was the planned replacement for the emperor, cause that poo poo seems confusing for confusing sake.

The HH books often talk about the Primarchs as representing different facets of the Emperor, Magnus has his shifting appearance and I guess Alpharius has his pointless secrecy and needlessly complicated plans

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

There's also the time the Emperor strolled into Curze's throne room and just blinded everyone who had the gall to look at him directly.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ardent Communist posted:

Alpharius was always the decoy, and he took that role to the conclusion, Omegon is now free to do things like help Eisenhorn mess with Lorgar and Fulgrim. Omegon wasn't even scattered IIRC, he was always working with the Emperor as his secret card.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Guyver posted:

There's also the time the Emperor strolled into Curze's throne room and just blinded everyone who had the gall to look at him directly.

Sometimes he forgets to turn down the god aura, sometimes he "forgets"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Alpharius was always the decoy, and he took that role to the conclusion, Omegon is now free to do things like help Eisenhorn mess with Lorgar and Fulgrim. Omegon wasn't even scattered IIRC, he was always working with the Emperor as his secret card.

Omegon helps Eisenhorn???

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Biplane posted:

Omegon helps Eisenhorn???

In Pariah there seems to be an arrangement between Eisenhorn and an Alpha Legion marine. The marine's identity isn't revealed but people love to speculate.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's just speculation yes, here's some crazier speculation: Teke mentions Fulgrim being directly invested in the events of Pariah, and in 30k Lorgar is involved in some foreshadowing about becoming the "amber regent".

At that point the appearance of an Alpha Legionnaire seems pretty suspicious to me, especially when Abnett wrote the book on Alpha Legion in terms of how we see them these days.

I'm probably wrong, but Abnett mentioned having to get special permission to gently caress with important characters in the next book in the series (Penitent), characters that he didn't create, so there's definitely something big happening in that weird clusterfuck in Pariah.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:allears:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just getting your hands on Enuncia wielded by a stable, powerful Pariah like Beta is a big deal, and what's happening is like 4 or 5 separate Big Schemes all crashing into each other at top speed. And also Ravenor is having none of that and has come to kill everybody.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Just getting your hands on Enuncia wielded by a stable, powerful Pariah like Beta is a big deal, and what's happening is like 4 or 5 separate Big Schemes all crashing into each other at top speed. And also Ravenor is having none of that and has come to kill everybody.

We know how it ends. Badly, according to one of the Ghosts.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's just speculation yes, here's some crazier speculation: Teke mentions Fulgrim being directly invested in the events of Pariah, and in 30k Lorgar is involved in some foreshadowing about becoming the "amber regent".

At that point the appearance of an Alpha Legionnaire seems pretty suspicious to me, especially when Abnett wrote the book on Alpha Legion in terms of how we see them these days.

I'm probably wrong, but Abnett mentioned having to get special permission to gently caress with important characters in the next book in the series (Penitent), characters that he didn't create, so there's definitely something big happening in that weird clusterfuck in Pariah.

I would love it if Eisenhorn ended up involving traitor Primarchs. I think a lot of people would be mad about it, but it would be p sweet if Lorgar was the yellow king and Omegon is confirmed a secret loyalist and helps Eisenhorn. Lorgar able to wield Enuncia would be terrifying. Maybe after 10k years he decided to stop worshipping gods and become one.

Manflayer is out tomorrow!! Super excited.

Edit: Manflayer is now up on the kindle store as of 11:45pm CST.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 20, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Even if I'm most definitely wrong about the details, those seperate Big Dipshit Schemes are all pointing towards something important, maybe it'll be disappointing in the end, perhaps that's why the next book is taking so long. It's still fun to think about what the schemes could be though imo.

Ravenor has chased Eisenhorn to a planet where:

They have hundreds of years of weird heretical history about producing "good demons"
The Cognitae are in a seat of power, where they are acting like a shadow Inquisition
A corrupted local Ecclesiarchy is working alongside Word Bearers to study Enuncia
The Glaw family are helping the Emperor's Children oppose the Word Bearers
Eisenhorn has been here for 2 decades and is working with Alpha Legion

Without even touching on whatever's going on with the Yellow King, I wonder if Ravenor will end up calling for Exterminatus. Both Eisenhorn and Ravenor seem to make a point of not using their authority so openly, and it would result in boring stories if they just did an Exterminatus to end them. But this could be like a tragic ending for the pair.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Even if I'm most definitely wrong about the details, those seperate Big Dipshit Schemes are all pointing towards something important, maybe it'll be disappointing in the end, perhaps that's why the next book is taking so long. It's still fun to think about what the schemes could be though imo.

Ravenor has chased Eisenhorn to a planet where:

They have hundreds of years of weird heretical history about producing "good demons"
The Cognitae are in a seat of power, where they are acting like a shadow Inquisition
A corrupted local Ecclesiarchy is working alongside Word Bearers to study Enuncia
The Glaw family are helping the Emperor's Children oppose the Word Bearers
Eisenhorn has been here for 2 decades and is working with Alpha Legion

Without even touching on whatever's going on with the Yellow King, I wonder if Ravenor will end up calling for Exterminatus. Both Eisenhorn and Ravenor seem to make a point of not using their authority so openly, and it would result in boring stories if they just did an Exterminatus to end them. But this could be like a tragic ending for the pair.

You could have Eisenhorn walk up to Ravenor as the skies fall (similar to the end of his trilogy with Cherry) as like, a leitmotif?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Your thinking of the 3rd alpharius, the Hydra has 3 heads so obviously triplets :tinfoil:

A fun nod to Euncia is in book 8 of the heresy black books you can take it as a special relic wargear option. It will kill the user more often than not it's great.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2020

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zasze posted:

Your thinking of the 3rd alpharius, the Hydra has 3 heads so obviously triplets :tinfoil:
Didn't Alpharius supposedly die twice? Once at the hands of Yellow Stickuphisarse Primarch and once at the hands of Blue Stickuphisarse Primarch?

quote:

A fun nod to Euncia is in book 8 of the heresy black books you can take it as a special relic wargear option. It will kill the user more often than not it's great.

Enuncia is perhaps my least favourite part of the Eisenhorn books.

40k is a massive universe with dozens of potential sources of godlike powers, each with rich lore and plenty of connections to the rest of the universe, any one of which could have been a perfectly suitable MacGuffin for the Cognitae to chase. Instead, Abnett just throws out this crazy powerful universal magic that was supposedly around the whole time even though there was never a single hint about its existence until the late 41st millennium.

It's like the dumb-rear end Perpetuals, perhaps my least favourite part of the entire setting. Oh, hey, some random humans are just randomly super-ultra-duper-immortal to the point of reforming after disintegration and there's no explanation at all, no connection to the Warp or the C'tan or any other part of the setting.

It might have been fine if they were just some footnote hinting at a larger mystery to be explored in the future, but no, there's at least three of them playing critical roles in the Heresy. It's like Tom Bombadil in LOTR, if Tom had decided to follow Frodo and Sam all the way to the Cracks of Doom.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NihilCredo posted:

It's like Tom Bombadil in LOTR, if Tom had decided to follow Frodo and Sam all the way to the Cracks of Doom.

This is violence.

E: I agree with you about Enuncia and Perpetuals, tho. In a system with plenty of built-in hooks it seems clunky and weird to insist on bending your own out of a hanger?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

NihilCredo posted:

Didn't Alpharius supposedly die twice? Once at the hands of Yellow Stickuphisarse Primarch and once at the hands of Blue Stickuphisarse Primarch?

One of the twins is likely stone dead owing to the events of Praetorian of Dorn being about as unambiguous as you can get for Alpha Legion. The other twin purportedly died at Guilliman's hands but the account of that rather mysteriously showed up in the Ultramarine's records so who knows.