Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Can you see if they've got a listing for Predator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ian Holm was incredible in Alien especially the subtly of his manipulation of the crew / false reassurances and how he successfully delays the crew from uncovering the Company's real agenda.

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1273951028589797376

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jeanette Goldstein in brownface and accent affectation?

E:Oh poo poo Ian Holm died, no good

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RIP Ian Holm, he had so many good roles across so many good movies. :(

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ash to ashes, dust to dust. RIP.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
RIP Ian Holmes

He didn't know half of you half as well as he would have liked; and he liked less than half of you half as well as you deserved.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Been thinking about Aliens lately, and had the audiobook pop up on my Youtube feed. Really enjoyable so far, and it's fun to get some new perspectives on the characters and events. The author really builds up the "Ultimate Badasses" angle on the Marines, so I'm looking forward to listening to poo poo Get Real in the atmosphere processor...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Paddyo posted:

Been thinking about Aliens lately, and had the audiobook pop up on my Youtube feed. Really enjoyable so far, and it's fun to get some new perspectives on the characters and events. The author really builds up the "Ultimate Badasses" angle on the Marines, so I'm looking forward to listening to poo poo Get Real in the atmosphere processor...

If the audiobook is the novelization, the good news is it’s narrated by William Hope (aka Gorman), the bad news is the novelization omits all of the swearing that was present in the script and movie. Apparently this was done by the editor after Alan Dean Foster had written and submitted it, and he was pretty pissed about it.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If the audiobook is the novelization, the good news is it’s narrated by William Hope (aka Gorman), the bad news is the novelization omits all of the swearing that was present in the script and movie. Apparently this was done by the editor after Alan Dean Foster had written and submitted it, and he was pretty pissed about it.

They've only just made it to Acheron, so the REAL colorful dialogue is yet to come, but there was definitely a tasteful "gently caress you, man" during the awesome "anytime, anywhere" exchange.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
RIP Sir Ian Holm. LOTR is also my favorite movie series. :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There was a brief moment in history when well written strong female leads were a thing. That nightmare is long over.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ripley's attitudes towards artificial persons were outdated and offensive :colbert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The illegal alien line may be on that list. That's a pretty hot topic.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Killing Of A Chinese Bookie but I'm thinking about Aliens.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Jeanette Goldstein in brownface and accent affectation?

E:Oh poo poo Ian Holm died, no good

This is the first time I'm finding out that Vasquez is played by a white actor wearing dark contacts and full-body makeup. Wow

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Someone re-edit her death scene in ‘Titanic’ so she puts a grenade in each child’s hand and yells ‘See you assholes in Tír Nan Og!’

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This is the first time I'm finding out that Vasquez is played by a white actor wearing dark contacts and full-body makeup. Wow

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I love that meme. ^^^

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Woah, I had no idea either. I just figured she had darker skin and the whole movie is pretty dark.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of the Deathlands series?

They're pulpy post apocalyptic action adventure books that were turned into audiobooks that I used to listen to when driving a lot for my old job.

I downloaded paid the full $3500 price for the series from graphic audio recently and have been going through them again, and was surprised to hear them suddenly saying "stay frosty" and then a couple books later someone actually says "how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?" and it warmed the cockles of my heart.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Nah this is just the boiler plate default synopsis for all movies until someone writes a more detailed on.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It's crazy how much the profanity adds to that script and how jarring it seems when it's absent. I can't believe any editor would ever be happy with "Get away from her, you!". Hudson's death scene also loses all of it's impact, and his story also goes from being somewhat of a redemption arc to just another random casualty. I wonder how much of his freak-out was scripted and how much was Bill Paxon just being an awesome actor and hamming it up?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Alien is the better horror movie.

Aliens is the better action movie.

Fight me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Zombie Guy posted:

Fight me.

This is a correct opinion, why would I fight you?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Paddyo posted:

It's crazy how much the profanity adds to that script and how jarring it seems when it's absent. I can't believe any editor would ever be happy with "Get away from her, you!". Hudson's death scene also loses all of it's impact, and his story also goes from being somewhat of a redemption arc to just another random casualty. I wonder how much of his freak-out was scripted and how much was Bill Paxon just being an awesome actor and hamming it up?

Paxton confirmed that he improvised the “game over” line, among others.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Fight me.

If I'm reading the room correctly, you are preaching to the choir, including myself.

Both movies are among my favorites, for very different reasons.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Laterite posted:

I'm watching Killing Of A Chinese Bookie but I'm thinking about Aliens.

:hmmyes:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

If I'm reading the room correctly, you are preaching to the choir, including myself.

Both movies are among my favorites, for very different reasons.

Its true whoever mentioned seeing the sequel first torches the suspense of the original, NEVER allow friends or loved ones to suffer such a fate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Fight me.

Alien3 is an OK film with flaws that struggles with the burden of trying to live up to its predecessors, and David Fincher and the cast and crew that worked on it deserve massive respect for being able to complete it in spite of the ridiculous circumstances they had to work in.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

This.
This is the good poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/gray/status/1275377090527924227

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

If Pixar made Alien, the queen would have just a giant badonkadonk rear end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I want to watch the animated shorts about James being a cat on the Nostromo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jay_Zombie posted:

If Pixar made Alien, the queen would have just a giant badonkadonk rear end.
She already does though

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cute but no.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shaocaholica posted:

Cute but no.

I'm with Iron Crowned: It would work as a short about Jonesy.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Owlbear Camus posted:

That could work. Make it a kids show.

Hadley's Hope Super Adventure.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Splicer posted:

She already does though

:hmmyes: Good point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Owlbear Camus posted:

gently caress! My grandma used to have a cat named James that looked like Jones, and I mix them up sometimes

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Interestingly enough, that's almost a thing.

My Day, By Jonsey
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14287768-my-day-by-jones

Also:
Jonesy: Nine Lives on the Nostromo
https://www.amazon.com/Jonesy-Lives-Nostromo-Rory-Lucey/dp/178565926X

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Jones is a really good cat name