Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

Can you elaborate on pink salt / baking soda helping with the maillard reaction? I tried googling this and got a bunch of scientific articles, and then some forum about how you're supposed to use "cure #1" powder on turkey before smoking.

Has anybody here used insta-cure? I assume you meant himalayan pink salt and not a bag of salt made pink due to the addition of "Red #3"?
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pink-salt-in-turkey-brine.270714/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine.110799/

The maillard trick is just about lowering the ph of the food so it browns at a lower temperature.

Pink salt is also known as Prague powder. It’s special curing salt, and contain nitrites. You were close in your research, check these out:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/disney-style-smoked-turkey-legs-recipe

https://www.instructables.com/id/Smoked-Turkey-Legs-County-Fair-Style/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I still have my Brinkmann charcoal grill and my MES, which have both served me reliably for many years. I’m done with pellet smokers. I may start searching for a kamado.

Weber Summit Charcoal.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Checked out the price of a corned beef flat at the grocery. $7.99 a lb.

Decent sized packer goes for $90 for choice. Hell I I thought I was splurging when Costco had Prime packers for around $45.

Ugh.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Cross posting from TFF as I was redirected here.

OxySnake posted:

After all the pics that have come through I'm interested in getting into the smoking meats hobby.

Can anyone recommend a smoker that is in the range of 300$?

I saw a Weber one at home depot that caught my eye, but, I figured I would ask here first.

It was the Weber Smokey Mountain that I saw. Is that a good one? I'll be honest I know nothing about smoking meats but Weber has usually been good to me with grills in the past.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

OxySnake posted:

It was the Weber Smokey Mountain that I saw. Is that a good one? I'll be honest I know nothing about smoking meats but Weber has usually been good to me with grills in the past.

Phone posting, so no details but the Weber Smokey Mountain is the gold standard for entry level smokers. There’s a ton of online community support around it, and it’s great out the box, but has great opportunities for mods and additions if you wanna geek out with it.

I loved mine and made some killer Q with it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

OxySnake posted:

That's a fine smoker. Perfect for taking up the hobby as it's got 'traditional' roots where you need to pay attention to it but it's not finicky or annoying.. You can make good food right out of the box, but with some learning and practice you can grow your skills and get amazing results.

If you want a 'fire and forget' smoker where you can pop food in, turn a dial, and X hours later have good food then look at electric or pellet smoker.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Very cool.

Thanks goons! I'm gonna swing by home depot after work and grab it.

I'm working on a retaining wall at home all week so this sounds like the perfect "Were done lets eat some meat" celebration.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

um excuse me posted:

I'm going camping this weekend and I'm looking for ideas of what to grill/smoke. I'm gonna do beans, possibly smoked chili. What else that's no explicitly a brick of meat does well with a kiss of smoke?

Fish is amazing both whole on the grill and smoked low and slow, that gets my vote +1

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm feeling a little ashamed right now. I'm making pulled pork.... in the slow cooker. I just couldn't be arsed to set up the WSM 22.5 for a 4 lb butt. I suppose I could have smoked it for a few hours in my kettle then put it in the slow cooker to finish but it just didn't seem worth the effort. At least I used smoked paprika??

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Ultimate Mango posted:

Weber Summit Charcoal.

This looks pretty cool! My big hang up on grills or smokers has always been to maximize the cooking space. It looks a little small for the price. We entertain a lot and on summer weekends we feed 6-10 people regularly. Can you fit a full brisket on it? I may have to rethink any kamado based on this need. Maybe I just need a bigger MES or similar device.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I figured out what happened to my Louisiana Grills pellet grill. The igniter or burner whatever you call it slides in and out of the burn pot automatically, and apparently that slide function failed. So it was burning directly into the pellet hopper instead of inside the grill. With the temp sensor inside the grill, it must have kept cranking up heat trying to reach 225 as that area was not actually being heated.

I had the hopper expansion on there and it was full so it burned through like 2.5 full bags of pellets while I was gone. What a stupid design, it should never allow that to happen. The pellets were turned into miniature charcoals and were still smoking the next day. I had to scoop them out with a little fireplace shovel.

I found that it had tripped the GFI so I reset that and it powered back up. But then I could see clearly that the igniter was burning directly into the hopper. I think I’m gonna sell it off for parts, even if I repair the igniter slide I feel like I can’t trust it.

Edit: as it turns out, the igniter rod thing probably isn’t supposed to move at all. I took it apart this morning and noticed three retaining screws in there that were loose. I assume the pellets piling up in the hopper pushed it back just enough to cause this issue. But I could be wrong, I’m going to try it out again with the rod secured in place and see what happens.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 18, 2020

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Looking to try my first brisket smoke, but not sure how to get a smaller brisket. I'm likely going to be eating the lion share of it, and the only packer brisket I'm able to bump into has been at Costco. Any ideas? I live in Seattle if that helps and you have a good butcher.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

OxySnake posted:

Very cool.

Thanks goons! I'm gonna swing by home depot after work and grab it.

I'm working on a retaining wall at home all week so this sounds like the perfect "Were done lets eat some meat" celebration.

Go with the 18" not the 14 if you can. Even better, make sure you check FB marketplace and CL to see if anyone is selling a weber smoker first. If they're available, you can you usually get them for $100 or so off sticker and they're virtually new because they learned that they dont like cooking with charcoal.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

OxySnake posted:

The even cheaper/multifunctional option is just to smoke directly on a Weber Kettle using a two zone heat setup, which is what I do.

Would be nice to have a dedicated unit sometime with better air control, but works just fine for two racks of ribs/a pork shoulder roast/whatever.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

atothesquiz posted:

Go with the 18" not the 14 if you can. Even better, make sure you check FB marketplace and CL to see if anyone is selling a weber smoker first. If they're available, you can you usually get them for $100 or so off sticker and they're virtually new because they learned that they dont like cooking with charcoal.

Shameful... how could anyone cook with charcoal and go back.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Texibus posted:

Looking to try my first brisket smoke, but not sure how to get a smaller brisket. I'm likely going to be eating the lion share of it, and the only packer brisket I'm able to bump into has been at Costco. Any ideas? I live in Seattle if that helps and you have a good butcher.

I've heard that if you go too small on the brisket it'll dry out too quickly. The recommendation was to do a packer or a large flat and then freeze what you don't need for later.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, that's what I'm getting too. How does brisket freeze? I'm going to be eating brisket for awhile.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

The even cheaper/multifunctional option is just to smoke directly on a Weber Kettle using a two zone heat setup, which is what I do.

Would be nice to have a dedicated unit sometime with better air control, but works just fine for two racks of ribs/a pork shoulder roast/whatever.

I'm in the exact same boat. Would be nice, but I can't justify the purchase when what I've works just fine.

Texibus posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm getting too. How does brisket freeze? I'm going to be eating brisket for awhile.

I recently just did a brisket. Separated point and flat - froze the point and cooked the flat. I don't see why freezing would hurt in this case.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Guess a Costco trip and a lot of meat is in my future.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Just keep an eye on prices, the seattle area costcos were at $6 a lb when I got mine last week if you are price sensitive. Cutting it into 3 pieces (2 pieces flat, 1 piece point) before cooking didn't turn out dry even without wrapping / water pan. I froze most of it and am eating it alone as well--basically brisket sandwich once a day for the last week now, and it's been fine. Obviously cold/reheated isn't quite as good as day of, but it was still worth it.

of course, if you're on the east side, I'd happily split a packer with you if you just don't want that much meat

Texibus
May 18, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Just keep an eye on prices, the seattle area costcos were at $6 a lb when I got mine last week if you are price sensitive. Cutting it into 3 pieces (2 pieces flat, 1 piece point) before cooking didn't turn out dry even without wrapping / water pan. I froze most of it and am eating it alone as well--basically brisket sandwich once a day for the last week now, and it's been fine. Obviously cold/reheated isn't quite as good as day of, but it was still worth it.

of course, if you're on the east side, I'd happily split a packer with you if you just don't want that much meat

I PMed you, I'm down.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

This looks pretty cool! My big hang up on grills or smokers has always been to maximize the cooking space. It looks a little small for the price. We entertain a lot and on summer weekends we feed 6-10 people regularly. Can you fit a full brisket on it? I may have to rethink any kamado based on this need. Maybe I just need a bigger MES or similar device.

Feeding 6-10 people on this is no problem. This is like BGE XL size or bigger. Fits a whole packer brisket easily, much more so than my Weber Smokey mountain did. Three racks of ribs, flat, not rolled or in racks, with room to spare. Two butts, eight ears of corn, and a bunch of potatoes. No problem. The best part is the options. Smoke. Grill. Two zone grill. Super duper simple and versatile.

I also have the expansion rack (a few options actually) and can’t imagine wanting more space short of a whole hog kind of need.

When I need to go big it will be some crazy Yoder on off-road golf cart tires or something. But that’s a long way off at this point.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is Wagyu brisket good?

I found a store near me that sells it. It’s pretty much raised right here in town, and if I heard the lady right it doesn’t cost much more than the brisket at the butcher shop I go to, pre-COVID.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Is Wagyu brisket good?

I found a store near me that sells it. It’s pretty much raised right here in town, and if I heard the lady right it doesn’t cost much more than the brisket at the butcher shop I go to, pre-COVID.

Everything you ever wanted to know about beef graded and breeds.

Short version: could be worth it but maybe not because it’s almost certainly American wagyu which means there’s no enforcement of standards on it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've done it with Japanese wagyu and it was quite good.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Apparently lots of Wagyu cuts are hitting the market because restaurants aren't using it. So it could be the real stuff.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does Waygu make a huge difference in such a tough cut of meat? Smoking is supposed to make trash can cuts edible, it's a strange idea to spend more money than you have to.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
On mine the additional fat made it particularly juicy and for lack of a better word unctuous.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stringent posted:

On mine the additional fat made it particularly juicy and for lack of a better word unctuous.

What better word could there be?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

um excuse me posted:

Does Waygu make a huge difference in such a tough cut of meat? Smoking is supposed to make trash can cuts edible, it's a strange idea to spend more money than you have to.

I mean Aaron Franklin seems to think that USDA grades matter a lot in brisket and actual Wagyu is supposed to be better than USDA Prime, so yeah, probably? :shrug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Might just be me, but all the American Wagyu I've had has been flavorless and overpriced.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The local Wegmans has tiny nuggets of wagyu- maybe two inch (5 cm) cubes in vac packs. They run $45 each and up. Maybe when the inheritance comes in...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I just went to make that beef rub but can anyone explain what the heck “American chilli powder” is?
Can I just substitute it for normal chilli powder? I’m in the UK.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Are there propane smokers that connect to the big propane tanks used in gas grills? Or are they all pretty much the small 20oz Coleman canisters?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

I just went to make that beef rub but can anyone explain what the heck “American chilli powder” is?

My understanding is that it just means not Mexican chili powder which is a little different.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

i can only guess uk chili powder is Not Good and that's why it specifies American (should really be Mexican)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bape Culture posted:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/homemade-american-chili-powder-recipe

made from the peppers and much more potent, you don't want to substitute this 1:1 for the normal powdered stuff or your anus will regret it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
While people are talking about american wagyu, I'd like to remind people that someone thought calling their beef "wangus" was a good idea

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Mexican chili powder is American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kalman posted:

Everything you ever wanted to know about beef graded and breeds.

Short version: could be worth it but maybe not because it’s almost certainly American wagyu which means there’s no enforcement of standards on it.

So it sounds like I need to go back to that store tomorrow and ask them what the BMS numbers on their briskets are and see how they answer. If they give me a number between 9 and 12 then I might consider getting something. If they don’t understand the question or don’t give me a straight answer, I’ll run like hell.

btw, this is the place where they get their meat from.
https://texasbeefhouse.com/

Special thanks to Texas Highways for telling me that that place exists and where to buy their meat from.