Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know what you call this particular narrative device, the same thing done in Homeworld, Battlestar Galactica, and I guess even Xenophon's Anabasis, but it's compelling and, stripped of all the baggage of the first trilogy, Andromeda makes good use of that framing, at least in the first few hours I replayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Andromeda needed more new aliens besides the Cat people and the Rockulons

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I am playing xenoblade and having a Good Time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andromeda would've been way better if it was actually about traveling to a faraway galaxy and trying to make a new home while establishing friendly relations with the intelligent life who you meet along the way instead of pivoting to be about yet another race of ancient superbeings with high-tech mysterious ruins and villains who the player must save the world from

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Stux posted:

i dont think it did as well as they wanted

For a publicly traded company, this is defined as a "financial failure."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I know Infinite gets rightfully dumped on around here, and I have no love for its frankly nonsensical and idiotic story but I still have a fondness for it based on aesthetics and music alone. God drat the calliope version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun can get stuck in my head to this day.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Harrow posted:

Andromeda would've been way better if it was actually about traveling to a faraway galaxy and trying to make a new home while establishing friendly relations with the intelligent life who you meet along the way instead of pivoting to be about yet another race of ancient superbeings with high-tech mysterious ruins and villains who the player must save the world from

This about sums it up, yeah.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mass Effect 3 being 8 years ago...

Jesus Christ :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I know Infinite gets rightfully dumped on around here, and I have no love for its frankly nonsensical and idiotic story but I still have a fondness for it based on aesthetics and music alone. God drat the calliope version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun can get stuck in my head to this day.

Honestly the aesthetics and music just make me resent Infinite more. I can just imagine how incredible a game with that setting, that music, and even the general multi-dimensional premise could've been if it actually played like a *Shock game and didn't fall face-first into the most tone-deaf both-sides-ism in its story.

I badly wanted to love that game and the first impression was incredible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Harrow posted:

Honestly the aesthetics and music just make me resent Infinite more. I can just imagine how incredible a game with that setting, that music, and even the general multi-dimensional premise could've been if it actually played like a *Shock game and didn't fall face-first into the most tone-deaf both-sides-ism in its story.

I badly wanted to love that game and the first impression was incredible.

I hear you, but at least you can load up the soundtrack and enjoy it separately from the game. You are right though, the first few hours were such a gobsmacking amazing first impression and then it poo poo the bed in some of the worst ways possible.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Sony is selling a replica of Ellie's guitar from The Last of Us 2 for $2299

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm no expert but it looks like regular Taylor 314ce guitars are about two grand.

Edit: I mean, I might pay, what, a 15% mark up for a branded product I liked? (I would not buy that guitar)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm no expert but it looks like regular Taylor 314ce guitars are about two grand.
Yeah, that's what it says in the article as well. I was honestly expecting this thing to be some $200 piece of junk with an obscene markup, because you just know someone out there would buy it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Do they give you a discount if you chop off two of your fingers?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nothing in this game makes any sense

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone get the game yet? I'll pick it up eventually. I actually enjoyed the gameplay of the first and hear that the second just keeps on with it but tunes it up a bit? I'm up for that, story aside. poo poo, even if the story is god awful I can turn my brain off and just enjoy the stealth action and atmosphere of *looks at news* uh current day Seattle?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

SUNKOS posted:

There was nothing to fall for. It was a joke image with a subtitle for the doctor scene at the end of the original TLOU and was one of the first things I saw when clicking on the 'Joel' hashtag that was trending.

Like seriously, everyone here knows that none of the doctors at the end of TLOU threatened Joel with how great their daughter is at golf so there's no bullshit to fall for. It was even presented as "Also fuckin' lol @ this" which clearly indicates humor so you don't need to reach.

We'll never know but Sony and Naughty Dog were trying to cover up that sexual harassment thing as well until the victim had enough and actually took them to court. Victim won. Sony & ND looked like scum for lying and trying to cover it up so I don't believe anything in Schreier's book when it comes to things like that because of their track record.

i meant the stuff in the first and second tweet you linked, where they posters are just straight up lying about the sex scene, but i muddled the message because i also wanted to mention our friend duke and his very good capital "G" Gamer username

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its the exact same game but you can uncharted 4 stealth past some enemies

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Anyone get the game yet? I'll pick it up eventually. I actually enjoyed the gameplay of the first and hear that the second just keeps on with it but tunes it up a bit? I'm up for that, story aside. poo poo, even if the story is god awful I can turn my brain off and just enjoy the stealth action and atmosphere of *looks at news* uh current day Seattle?

This is not the game thread. This is the make fun of the game thread, you wont find your anwsers here friend

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1273827860755537921

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RottenK posted:

i meant the stuff in the first and second tweet you linked, where they posters are just straight up lying about the sex scene, but i muddled the message because i also wanted to mention our friend duke and his very good capital "G" Gamer username

Oh, I getcha. Are those screenshots fake then? I thought they were real now I don't know wtf.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zeta Acosta posted:

This is not the game thread. This is the make fun of the game thread, you wont find your anwsers here friend

oh uh

so how many dogs got names that get killed? I needa know if they lose 2 paw digits and play take on me but howl it instead

HOW MANY ACOUSTIC COVERS ARE THERE GOD DAMNIT?!

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

SUNKOS posted:

Oh, I getcha. Are those screenshots fake then? I thought they were real now I don't know wtf.

The one with the sex scene is deliberately cropped because it shows its an entirely different guy in the full shot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the actual text of the tweet shouldve probably been a huge giveaway lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[looking at insanely gross tweets by openly alt right people] wow... makes u think. this is crazy you guys seeing this? here let me show you.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The storyline loop of henious act-context for why you should feel bad about what you did/you should understand the reasons behind why this person did this bad thing got old at like hour 6

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

SUNKOS posted:

There are fake screenshots going around of the character that kinda looks like Druckman being photoshopped into the sex scene with Abby instead of the character that's actually in it, but they're not in the tweets. One of them did crop a real screenshot to hide the other character though.

The lies are in the text, both claim that Neil's lookalike fucks Abby, and the second one also claims that Abby is transgender and in early stages of HRT because she's flat

RottenK fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 19, 2020

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
While we're on the hate train; am I misremembering wildly or did Naughty Dog and/or the gaming press (lol) make a big stink back when the first game came out about how it wasn't a zombie story and all that stuff, like desperately trying to pretend and act like the cordyceps bois were somehow meaningfully different than zombies in any way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every zombie thing does that. More recently days gone did it with "uhh actually they are freakers"

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ArfJason posted:

everyone in this page should be permabanned ASAP.

Go back to cspam

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Every zombie thing does that. More recently days gone did it with "uhh actually they are freakers"

lmao "actually they are (objectively worse and far more stupid-sounding thing to say other than zombie)"

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

oh uh

so how many dogs got names that get killed? I needa know if they lose 2 paw digits and play take on me but howl it instead

HOW MANY ACOUSTIC COVERS ARE THERE GOD DAMNIT?!

quote:

:blastu: :dogcited:

Title checks out.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Title checks out.

if i can gun juggle anything in any game it's a 10/10

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dog killaz Gang

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Strong women

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tonfa posted:

See Breath of Fire IV (2000) for a take on this idea that wasn't done by a manchild

Also, play BOF 4 because it's a really really good game. Heck, it's like a tenner on the PSN store, isn't it?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I am playing xenoblade and having a Good Time.

Yep, there's a game with a good "You killed someone I cared for, gently caress you (and your entire race, even!)." storyline and all.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

If you liked the first one you will like this one game wise, the writing is not as good but it is more ridiculous. It's a good "Part 2"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Real hurthling! posted:

Not every zombie thing is really pretentious or acts like a simplistic story about revenge, told poorly and hamfistedly, is the new Schindler's List.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Codependent Poster posted:

Do they give you a discount if you chop off two of your fingers?

For the full experience, don't forget to leave your super nice guitar behind in a random house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RottenK posted:

There are fake screenshots going around of the character that kinda looks like Druckman being photoshopped into the sex scene with Abby instead of the character that's actually in it, but they're not in the tweets. One of them did crop a real screenshot to hide the other character though.

The lies are in the text, both claim that Neil's lookalike fucks Abby, and the second one also claims that Abby is transgender and in early stages of HRT because she's flat

Ahhhh, yeah that's lovely cropping the image. I thought that was legit because other tweets mentioned his insert doing it as well so I thought nothing of it. Twitter gonna Twitter.