Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nichael posted:

\But it'd be nice to get a Tiberium game that had the best of both C&C 3 and TS.

Oh, so the Tiberium Essence mod :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always thought TS kinda sucked and replaying it isn't changing my opinion. It's not terrible but it's the weakest of the three. I do agree about the vibe of it being cool though. I can see a remaster working if the C&C/RA one sells well, the voxel art is just so butt ugly. It was bad at the time and does not hold up.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

priority one is pavement. Building walls and making a castle of a base felt great in the campaign missions.

edit- Also the introduction of veinhole was an absolute "what the gently caress" moment. Wish they did more with that.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 19, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I feel TS has the strongest atmosphere of the three.

Gameplay, especially multiplayer, Wars wins hands down even if it is a bit sad that Tiberium is all penned into certain areas and won't spread everywhere (Sun was the best for that too). Worst campaign though for how the later patches utterly hosed it.

Dawn doesn't have much besides some weapons-grade nostalgia. But boy do I love that nostalgia.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I always thought TS kinda sucked and replaying it isn't changing my opinion. It's not terrible but it's the weakest of the three. I do agree about the vibe of it being cool though. I can see a remaster working if the C&C/RA one sells well, the voxel art is just so butt ugly. It was bad at the time and does not hold up.

I haven't played TS since I was a kid, so it's definitely a matter of nostalgia for me, but what would you say makes it weaker then TD?

Re-playing TD with the remaster, I can't help but find it a bit...dull? That's not really it's fault so much the fault of every other RTS game I've played since.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In terms of gameplay it goes GEN/ZH>RA2>TW>TS>RA/TS>RA3*. Artwise though, TS beats out RA2 imo and TW comes dead last.

*I don't dislike RA3 exactly, I just like it the least.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As much as I love TibSun to death a ZH remaster would be a no questions buy for me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mordja posted:

In terms of gameplay it goes GEN/ZH>RA2>TW>TS>RA/TS>RA3*. Artwise though, TS beats out RA2 imo and TW comes dead last.

C&C3 and RA3 both had single player campaigns that would have been solid but were hobbled in some way. C&C3 took a solid single player campaign and screwed it over by making it affected by multiplayer patch balance. RA3 had that crazy "co-op campaign" idea.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Oxyclean posted:

I haven't played TS since I was a kid, so it's definitely a matter of nostalgia for me, but what would you say makes it weaker then TD?

At least for me, TS has sort of the same issue RA1 does: a lot of design done by checklist (deformable terrain! burrowing units! modular buildings!) instead of thinking about how this stuff all interacted in the game as a whole. TD despite its relatively tiny scope and bizarre economy feels tighter just because there's less other stuff going on.

Give me a Renegade 2 set in TS instead of TD and just play it as a horror game that's secretly an RTS. That game would be incredible.

Mordja posted:

Am I the only one who never really liked RA2/YR at all? Conversely I thought RA3 was actually a very well designed game, probably the best after ZH, that unfortunately came out when RTSes were basically dying so it never had a chance.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

power crystals posted:

Am I the only one who never really liked RA2/YR at all? Conversely I thought RA3 was actually a very well designed game, probably the best after ZH, that unfortunately came out when RTSes were basically dying so it never had a chance.
RA2 was the pinnacle of the 2D games. It just had so many bespoke mechanics, they'd figured out the economy, and the tone struck the perfect note of campy-but-taken-seriously. Meanwhile, I thought RA3 was overly fiddly, didn't have enough units, and I always thought mining was both more limited and too simplistic. And of course, as it goes with so many games with me, part of it is the mods. RA2 has so many good ones, RA3 has so few.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Alkydere posted:

C&C3 and RA3 both had single player campaigns that would have been solid but were hobbled in some way. C&C3 took a solid single player campaign and screwed it over by making it affected by multiplayer patch balance. RA3 had that crazy "co-op campaign" idea.

I think RA3's co-op campaign would have been better in a second iteration if they addressed a few issues with it. Namely Scenario Design, longevity of the matchmaking/multiplayer systems, and most importantly not putting the player at the whims of an AI if they play it single player.

I also didn't like how they modified ore harvesting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

power crystals posted:

I love the singleplayer, but I can't stand the multiplayer at all because it's horrendously imbalanced.

RA3 and kane's wrath are the only ones that are still good for multiplayer. Maybe generals. The rest are pretty bad at it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I love the singleplayer, but I can't stand the multiplayer at all because it's horrendously imbalanced.

RA3 and kane's wrath are the only ones that are still good for multiplayer. Maybe generals. The rest are pretty bad at it.

The CNCnet version of YR has an optional balance patch that might have fixed things. I dunno, I've never really been big into C&C multiplayer being more of a skirmish/compstomp player.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Same. Every multiplayer C&C match I played was just a five minute tank rush and I do not find that fun at all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. Every multiplayer C&C match I played was just a five minute tank rush and I do not find that fun at all.

Early C&C 3 multiplayer was about building cranes to your opponents base and then building static defense on top of them. I'm guessing that's why they nerfed cranes so hard it broke singleplayer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

C&C is definitely a series I play for campaign/skirmish*. Just how quickly things can play kinda puts me off multiplayer (thought it was funny in high school demolishing people who left the back of their base unguarded with paratroopers or SEALs)

* I think it's for that reason I really like stuff like RA2:YR and Generals:ZH - there's just so much variety in factions that there's a lot of replay in just trying out different stuff.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Mordja posted:

RA2 was the pinnacle of the 2D games. It just had so many bespoke mechanics, they'd figured out the economy, and the tone struck the perfect note of campy-but-taken-seriously. Meanwhile, I thought RA3 was overly fiddly, didn't have enough units, and I always thought mining was both more limited and too simplistic.

I always felt RA2 was the fiddly one and in some weird uncanny-valley of campiness while RA3's tone was great and had the right balance of units that were actually useful instead of just being there because they were cool or thematic. And as much as the RA3 mining mechanic offended my nostalgia I liked it because, frankly, the large ore fields dating back to TD didn't work that great at actually making a fair or balanced game.

Also having played through the RA campaigns in Remastered for the first time in forever, as much as the TD AI gets to cheat hardcore with its resource income, I think that's vastly less frustrating than RA1's constant spawning of poo poo from off the map. Sure do enjoy having to slather my base in SAM sites so random groups of helicopters that the AI can will into existence don't snipe my poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's also a thing I dislike about TS, you can't turn off just superweapons like other C&Cs and there's this loving annoying thing that blows up buildings in your base, cannot be defended against, and the AI seems to be able to build it within like a minute of the start of the game. I was having my poo poo wrecked by this dumb missile before my tiberium refinery was even up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That's also a thing I dislike about TS, you can't turn off just superweapons like other C&Cs and there's this loving annoying thing that blows up buildings in your base, cannot be defended against, and the AI seems to be able to build it within like a minute of the start of the game. I was having my poo poo wrecked by this dumb missile before my tiberium refinery was even up.

That definitely is awakening a feeling/memory.

I was just thinking about how I'd really like to see a psudeo-RTS that foregoes competitive multiplayer and a "symmetrical" match-up, for something more akin to a management/factory game where there's a lot more focus on base building & churning out units. Enemies would exist mostly to be a barrier to expanding your base (you'd need to expand to get more resources and stuff needed to get new tech) and maybe also to cause you to balance building defensive structures with your offensive and economy?

Like lean on that part of RTS where the fun is having a whole bunch of weird and fun units to try on the AI?

I mention this partially because 1) I want it, but 2) I'm reminded of how Generals had a setting that let you build unlimited super weapons and I just remember building like 20 particle beam uplinks so I could dunk on easy an AI, and I feel like that kind of thing would very much be a part of a "factory builder rts" kind of game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Probably the hunter seeker drone. Can only build it late game but if you have crates turned on, the AI paths over one by accident and it happens to get the drone and not a useless firepower upgrade then lol.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kane's Wrath and RA3 definitely were some of the best C&C play there is with good ideas about balance and what the gameplay flow is like, but RA2 also owns so very much.

The originals are like awesome junk food.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gen 1/2 C&C games: Great singleplayer, multiplayer balance what's that?

Gen 3 C&C games: Rock solid multiplayer, hobbled singleplayer (with great acting though)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fruits of the sea posted:

Probably the hunter seeker drone. Can only build it late game but if you have crates turned on, the AI paths over one by accident and it happens to get the drone and not a useless firepower upgrade then lol.
Every time the AI uses one of these it blows up my refinery or some important poo poo

Every time I use one it always flies off and smashes a lone rifleman in the middle of nowhere :mad:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ahahahaha, the second mission of the C&C console missions has such a dick move in it. I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is (destroy a specific set of obelisks, all obelisks or all buildings you can reach since there's obviously a conyard stuck in a corner) but when you do the AI drops a nuke on Dr. Mobius. I had one of my Mammoth tanks go back to destroy the last obelisks I had bypassed when they were out of power just as something to do to kill time only for the nuke to drop right as the evacuation Chinook was about to land.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That's also a thing I dislike about TS, you can't turn off just superweapons like other C&Cs

Pretty sure setting tech level to 9 disables super weapons and not much else. It also prevents you from building Ghostalker/Mammoth Mk II/Cyborg commando, but you can live without those.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And that's the Allied campaign done! Like I said, RA1 is a much better paced game than TD and plays more differently than I'd known having completely bypassed it as a kid. Still a lot of that old Westwood jank though, and those two indoor missions were a pain. Pure trial and error. The final mission also has a rough beginning, I had to restart numerous times and slow the game down to a crawl to avoid Tanya and those thieves getting blowed up by those stupid barrels. I also half-screwed myself over near the end when the first I and only time I used the Chronosphere on a useless insertion it spawned a Chrono Storm that ended up eating most of my harvesters while I was busy blowing poo poo up with longbows. Anyways, on to NOD! I likely won't be playing most/any of the expansion packs, least of all the TD one though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Attack Move is now available in the CFE Patch mod (can turn things on/off in the ini) as well as a standalone mod

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
TS may be my least favourite game in the series (excluding the post-TW games but I've never touched them) but Kane's return in the NOD campaign is one of the best moments in the series.

Rule of thumb, Hassan. You can''t kill the Messiah.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Much as I love TS, the atmosphere, missions, videos I always found the speed of units and economics not so great on repeat plays.

I made a rules.ini file where I tweaked a bunch of things with not really any knowledge on how it worked just to speed it all up.

I recall faster vehicle speeds on harvesters, jump jet, orcas, disrupters. Tiberium worth 50% more. Adding a medic and a cyborg which fired a lower powered titan cannon to NOD. Buildable mammoth tanks to GDI. It's probably laughably quite unbalanced but it made for fun and quicker single player and skirmish games. I probably just needed more harvesters.

I did love the optional side levels though that could help you out on the main mission. With briefings from Cabal and EVA voice overs after the little story videos. Wish they had kept that feature for the later games.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Oxyclean posted:

That definitely is awakening a feeling/memory.

I was just thinking about how I'd really like to see a psudeo-RTS that foregoes competitive multiplayer and a "symmetrical" match-up, for something more akin to a management/factory game where there's a lot more focus on base building & churning out units. Enemies would exist mostly to be a barrier to expanding your base (you'd need to expand to get more resources and stuff needed to get new tech) and maybe also to cause you to balance building defensive structures with your offensive and economy?

Like lean on that part of RTS where the fun is having a whole bunch of weird and fun units to try on the AI?

I mention this partially because 1) I want it, but 2) I'm reminded of how Generals had a setting that let you build unlimited super weapons and I just remember building like 20 particle beam uplinks so I could dunk on easy an AI, and I feel like that kind of thing would very much be a part of a "factory builder rts" kind of game.

It's not exactly what you're talking about, but this reminded me of an old WC3 custom map that was basically a DOTA clone, except instead of spending your gold on items, you spent it on upgrades for the AI army until your army totally overwhelms theirs. I'd like to see something like that again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does anyone know why the remastered footage for TD is so much better than the stuff for RA, and why there's so many more greenscreen videos vs the latter's production stills?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
C&C Generals (+Zero Hour) is the only game I've returned to a store ever. I was super excited for it and after playing it a while i knew I Didn't like it and I would never like it. I took that back the day after I bought it and got the Warcraft 3 Battlechest instead. I've bought warcraft 3 like 3 or so times.

I remember looking for how to enable fast map scrolling which anyone who was good at RA2 would use (hold right mouse button and move around) and at the time it not only wasn't default but wasn't available. Did they forget how to rts? Westwood studio shuffling under ea did not seem to be working out.

By contrast this is more of what I'm looking for:
https://i.imgur.com/XwI7sLe.mp4
Not only does it say "proudly" but I absolutely believe it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grand Fromage posted:

It's far preferable to playing an hour long game of catchup only to lose

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Another TS detail I vividly remember was in the launch version the NOD artillery shots were tracking and could not miss, as in the explosion/projectile magically homed in on whatever it targeted. Made GDI campaign missions even worse where they showed up.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Don't forget Dune2000 which while it wasn't done directly by westwood it still had frank doing the music and used the game engine, it came out before TS so didn't have isometric view.

I have this really vivid memory as a kid of eating a turkey chunk subway sandwich and playing TS skirmish mode on a Saturday after my parents went out somewhere. Tib Garden Redux as NOD, cloaked base just vomitting artillery on everyone.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

and I thought it would have been the turkey sub that had you vomiting everywhere.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"How would you like your turkey?"
"Chunks, please"

-a conversation about food in a Subway "restaurant"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

TS also had my favorite unit, robot that just flies off into the fog of war and blows up one random enemy.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Man, I forgot about that. That superweapon was like a lottery where you have bad odds at winning the slightest bit of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Like, 15+ years ago but I just remember it was turkey and not sliced, it was like cubes or thin short strips? It was really good but subway only does sliced turkey anymore.

Edit:

gary oldmans diary posted:

Man, I forgot about that. That superweapon was like a lottery where you have bad odds at winning the slightest bit of fun.

Oh you mean the hunterseeker that when you used it only ever hit like a powerplant but when the AI used it always hit your conyard or only refinery

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 20, 2020