Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"Fluffy Bunnies" posted:

Ours is FM radio. I just grabbed a cheap one from Target and leave it in the car.

does your car not have a dash radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I cancelled my sub with them anyway. gently caress them, and regal and cinemark. Or any other company who thinks their bottom line is worth killing someone's grandparents.

I'm not sure how SA became one of the only places on the internet taking this poo poo seriously but I'm glad for it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

does your car not have a dash radio?

It does, but that can run the battery down after a while and my drive-in is all double-features.

I understand they need to make money but for gently caress's sakes, this is going to kill people and they don't care.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

boar guy posted:

do they use bluetooth now? or wifi? or local-area radio transmissions?

It’s over fm station. Here in Los Angeles it’s hard to find a clean fm area but surprisingly it was very clean. There was no distractions as far as car lights on or anything like that. We had the car in front with its hatch back open and backed into the space so they could have more leg room and it didn’t block our view one bit.

I’d like to do it again for sure.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The best part of that flip floppery is that by trying to appease to all the anti mask vocal shitheads, they pissed off everyone. Then in the second round they pissed off people who would go to a theater to not have to wear a mask. And let's be honest, that's who would show up to see a movie in a PANDEMIC anyway. Way to go numbnuts

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It does, but that can run the battery down after a while and my drive-in is all double-features.

I understand they need to make money but for gently caress's sakes, this is going to kill people and they don't care.

Do you know how many people guns kill

And cars

And sugar

And just living in general

You can’t hide forever bro

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

zer0spunk posted:

oh christ, now this is going to start

if you don't enforce safety rules at all, all the way down to limiting any liability for it, why would anyone put the effort into safety? the honor system?

yet another basic thing that should not be politicized but here we are

This is going to be argued as "we need to protect our poor small business owners :qq: " but it is absolutely about removing the ability of Walmart, Amazon, meat packing plants, etc employees to sue companies for forcing them to work in an unsafe environment.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you were serious about drive-in movie theater going you'd buy a bunch of AGM deep cycle batteries and hook them up in parallel so you could marathon the director's cut of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and still have enough juice afterwards to jump start everyone else in the lot :colbert:

Tipps posted:

This is going to be argued as "we need to protect our poor small business owners :qq: " but it is absolutely about removing the ability of Walmart, Amazon, meat packing plants, etc employees to sue companies for forcing them to work in an unsafe environment.

:hmmyes:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dee eight posted:

that space is for personal messages

tell your gramma how much you love her

Do you have a seance version?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

The best part of that flip floppery is that by trying to appease to all the anti mask vocal shitheads, they pissed off everyone. Then in the second round they pissed off people who would go to a theater to not have to wear a mask. And let's be honest, that's who would show up to see a movie in a PANDEMIC anyway. Way to go numbnuts

I'm noticing a theme with a poo poo ton of hosed up issues today that when presented with two choices, neither excellent by any means, both choices are picked. The best example is the lock downs. Lock em down and save millions but the demon known as 'number' go down OR leave it all open and let millions die to appease the evil algorithm.

why-not-both.gif

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i mean i'm no pope or anything but i think when you boil down to life or death (as is the case now, scientifically not objectively) and you choose anything except life you're kinda broken.

doesn't matter if we're talking about your life or someone else, that's all "but..." semantics

like poo poo, come at me with a sacrifice some to save many at least, something other then "i wanna watch moooooviiiiieeees"..these people are adult children

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Do you know how many people guns kill

And cars

And sugar

And just living in general

You can’t hide forever bro

Time to open up!

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I have always been a sappy chump, the kind who tears up at a well made sentimental commercial.

Yesterday I walked through the AIDS memorial garden in Golden Gate Park, in San Francisco. My tears flowed freely there, (my mask got quite wet) because it is a beautiful place that nevertheless imparts the grief of loss at that magnitude. It made me wonder if we should start finding sites for permanent COVID memorials. I was trying to imagine an appropriate location in my city (golf course seems best to me, we have a surplus of those) but I settled on a concept instead.

Names engraved on a strip of pavement at six foot intervals. In the US, assuming that when the final counts are made, we might be lucky to have under 300,000 Covid-19 deaths, this memorial would stretch 340 miles, about the distance from San Francisco to LA.

I know that building such a memorial would be impractical, but it would also set the scale for this magnitude of loss of life.

Yes, I definitely want a milkshake, thanks.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

this was basically my reasoning behind bailing. i am fortunate enough to have unemployment though, who knows how long that will last. t

high-five to all other goons who quit/are considering quitting.

My whole family came to the decision that I won't go back to my office. I also have to sit in a tiny office with no windows and having a distance of 60 cm with my co-worker. I'm gonna try to convince my boss to allow me to keep doing home office, if not, I'm quitting.

We came to the conclusion that even if we have the privilege of a safety net if any of us gets sick we will definitely be pushed to poverty. It's not worth risking my life, or my mother's or my sister or nephew for a few loving pesos. (It would be more expensive and traumatic paying for the expenses of getting sick and a funeral. I don't want anyone I know go through that).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hermsgervørden posted:

I have always been a sappy chump, the kind who tears up at a well made sentimental commercial.

Yesterday I walked through the AIDS memorial garden in Golden Gate Park, in San Francisco. My tears flowed freely there, (my mask got quite wet) because it is a beautiful place that nevertheless imparts the grief of loss at that magnitude. It made me wonder if we should start finding sites for permanent COVID memorials. I was trying to imagine an appropriate location in my city (golf course seems best to me, we have a surplus of those) but I settled on a concept instead.

Names engraved on a strip of pavement at six foot intervals. In the US, assuming that when the final counts are made, we might be lucky to have under 300,000 Covid-19 deaths, this memorial would stretch 340 miles, about the distance from San Francisco to LA.

I know that building such a memorial would be impractical, but it would also set the scale for this magnitude of loss of life.

Yes, I definitely want a milkshake, thanks.

Sure, but did you see the bison tho

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

holy poo poo nickhimself just solved covid-19 but in his haste posted an attention tag lmao. nick if your out there never stop raging my friend.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/samstein/status...ingawful.com%2F

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sure, but did you see the bison tho

Not yesterday, but I have seen them a number of times. There’s some babies, but I have not seen those yet.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

holy poo poo nickhimself just solved covid-19 but in his haste posted an attention tag lmao. nick if your out there never stop raging my friend.

Finally a good happy covid thread!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

Finally a good happy covid thread!

yes burt YES. thanks for this one

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

covid-shame :wtc:

ok, its settled

they will be called the covid shaman going foward. mystical folk willing to die for their leader with the combover headdress

do not talk to the covid shaman of your western medicines democrat

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

If that means doubling down on big rallies then the plan is working.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I havnt seen this mentioned yet but apparently theres contact tracing on phones in the us? Surprise!!!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I havnt seen this mentioned yet but apparently theres contact tracing on phones in the us? Surprise!!!

i only know this because a good chunk of social media is people noticing it in the settings page, screenshotting that and then a thread full of comments like "turn that poo poo off"

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

i only know this because a good chunk of social media is people noticing it in the settings page, screenshotting that and then a thread full of comments like "turn that poo poo off"

it is a good thing we have been reassured by our politicians that this tracking capability will not be abused by law enforcement.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

it is a good thing we have been reassured by our politicians that this tracking capability will not be abused by law enforcement.

people reacting violently to actual contact tracers already told you how any app was going to go.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...t-contact-traci

i bet that we're even dumb enough to start seeing boycott apple/google movements if it gets pushed to everyone's OS and more folks notice..is there a level after deep sigh?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 19, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zer0spunk posted:

This sounds like bullshit

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/19/how-to-turn-on-off-covid-19-contact-tracing-iphone-ios/

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Burt Sexual posted:

This sounds like bullshit

if i wanted to make something up, i'd make it fun and exciting not depressing, cmon burt

drat you for making me haveta do work to hide names tho, don't you know how lazy i am (this was just the first one i grabbed btw of many)

you have way more faith in people then i'd think for a gbs mod, esp after readin some of the bad poster takes ITT

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 19, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Looks like mine on the pixel is already turned off. I usually don't have location turned on though, which i guess is necessary for that to function

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zer0spunk posted:

if i wanted to make something up, i'd make it fun and exciting not depressing, cmon burt

drat you for making me haveta do work to hide names tho, don't you know how lazy i am (this was just the first one i grabbed btw of many)

you have way more faith in people then i'd think for a gbs mod, esp after readin some of the bad poster takes ITT

Huh, it’s not on the iPad iOS, but is on my iPhone defaults to off.

Seems like something they should’ve maybe said something lol

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Burt Sexual posted:

Huh, it’s not on the iPad iOS, but is on my iPhone defaults to off.

Seems like something they should’ve maybe said something lol

maybe they figure you're more likely to carry a phone than a tablet anywhere. that is weird though

sounds like it got pushed to stock android but not any other version of that like samsungs. weird rollout, stock android stuff is a smaller section of the market on the android side.

e: uhh nm, its also on my phone after a search for it..no idea what menu they buried it under to get to it otherwise. go figure. default is off, galaxy s20. requires bluetooth on before you can toggle it.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 19, 2020

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

zer0spunk posted:

maybe they figure you're more likely to carry a phone than a tablet anywhere. that is weird though

sounds like it got pushed to stock android but not any other version of that like samsungs. weird rollout, stock android stuff is a smaller section of the market on the android side.

e: uhh nm, its also on my phone after a search for it..no idea what menu they buried it under to get to it otherwise. go figure. default is off, galaxy s20. requires bluetooth on before you can toggle it.

Bluetooth is a massive battery drain and will disincentivize a lot of people from using it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It showed up on my android phone, but it's not on because you need some app. It doesn't say what app, just "a participating app" with no indication of how to find one.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

There Bias Two posted:

Bluetooth is a massive battery drain and will disincentivize a lot of people from using it.

according to the notes it uses the strength of the bluetooth signal from the other person to determine how close you were if you came across a positive ID

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

according to the notes it uses the strength of the bluetooth signal from the other person to determine how close you were if you came across a positive ID

and then if someone self-reports a positive covid test, the app goes back through the people they were in proximity of and notifies them they may have been exposed and to self-isolate and get tested

no location data is stored and you won't be told when the exposure took place, at least that's how it works here

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Thank gently caress I never have my stupid Bluetooth on, the most useless of standards.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

greazeball posted:

and then if someone self-reports a positive covid test, the app goes back through the people they were in proximity of and notifies them they may have been exposed and to self-isolate and get tested

no location data is stored and you won't be told when the exposure took place, at least that's how it works here

the thing about the 'measures' our government is taking is that they don't seem to be working. i don't get on facebook so I only learned from my girlfriend. has this been in the cards for a while? it just seems squirrelly to not announce it? who the gently caress knows im so tuned out these days. like if you don't even know its there does it work. or does the ambulance just show up to your house?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

the thing about the 'measures' our government is taking is that they don't seem to be working. i don't get on facebook so I only learned from my girlfriend. has this been in the cards for a while? it just seems squirrelly to not announce it? who the gently caress knows im so tuned out these days. like if you don't even know its there does it work. or does the ambulance just show up to your house?

nah, it sounds like whatever you have it's set to off by default no matter what. i remember the joint announcement back in march i think where apple and google talked about teaming up for it and everyone was confused. i'm curious how they pushed it and when on my particular phone..i can only imagine in a monthly security update but it was never in any release notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When you click on it the explanation is that you need to have a tracing app to enable it.