Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

so, essentially, guns are progression gated, meaning that to get to the core gooey fun of the game--pimping out guns--you have to grind out quests or a lot more rubles. and gunsmith is going to get more expensive/ruble-sink then before

this poo poo is already hard to be a weekend warrior, why did they make it worse?? I could see some of the prior justifications, but this is just flat out removing one of the joys of the game for all but those able to play daily.

edit: theoretically grinding out roubles might be easier I guess? a found in raid gun should have it's value increased a good bit now. I am cynical that this will offset the grind though

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Famethrowa posted:

so, essentially, guns are progression gated, meaning that to get to the core gooey fun of the game--pimping out guns--you have to grind out quests or a lot more rubles. and gunsmith is going to get more expensive/ruble-sink then before

this poo poo is already hard to be a weekend warrior, why did they make it worse?? I could see some of the prior justifications, but this is just flat out removing one of the joys of the game for all but those able to play daily.

edit: theoretically grinding out roubles might be easier I guess? a found in raid gun should have it's value increased a good bit now. I am cynical that this will offset the grind though

I think only parts that are used in gunsmith quests will go up at all, people were just prebuilding those guns and then selling them on flea for a mark-up. I feel like they'd already kinda achieved their goals of making the absolute top-tier parts inaccessible until you hit 40, not a lot of people are going to pay 80-100k for a handguard or buffer tube that give you an extra -2% recoil, they'll just run a 55 recoil AK-74 instead of a 49 recoil version.

Plus I really liked doing required searches on stuff and occasionally coming across a good deal, it felt like if you wanted a nicer gun part then a bit of creativity and patience would get you it for a reasonable price and it was really neat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ixtlilton posted:

You can't give non-fir items for barters put up on flea anymore, what a completely rear end change. Graphics cards gonna go up up up even more.

Grats on making gunsmith quests incredibly expensive and/or tedious if you have a friend who can just buy the parts from vendors for you.

they added a craft for gpus that takes a vpx to build, which also has a craft now. all crafts have fir status so, have fun while the prices are sky high

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Stux posted:

they added a craft for gpus that takes a vpx to build, which also has a craft now. all crafts have fir status so, have fun while the prices are sky high

It also takes 37 1/2 hours for the gpu and close to that long for the vpx and ssds used in the vpx craft are up to 300k now lol.

Edit: I just bought an ssd from fence and it was 120k cheaper than the next lowest for a glimpse at prices.

Second edit: I am currently unloading 34mm one piece magmounts from jaeger onto fence because wow no one should pay 200k for these.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 19, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Clearly their aim is to reward people for surviving raids and getting out with a wider variety of loot. Not just GPU/LEDX/Defib, but the smaller and more common components to craft them. Not to mention barter items, hideout upgrades, quest items, etc. I think that's a good goal, but it does have the side effect of being absolutely punishing to players who don't have the time to put into Tarkov, especially if someone starts mid or late wipe. That's not a problem for me or most of the people I play with because we all have a few hours a day to put into Tarkov. That said, most people don't have that luxury.

Personally, I really like where the game is at now. I've done a ton more solo raids for quests this wipe and I've run into basically no hatchet runners. You can feasibly make money doing a huge variety of things as long as you successfully extract with loot. That's the whole point of the game and not "I may have died but at least I butt stuffed all of west wing resort before I died"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
the required search/barter economy was neat emergent gameplay and its really bad when lovely developers stamp out that stuff

i think they are done making tarkov better and from now on its just gonna go the other way

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Am I right in thinking that if I kill a PMC, take his gun and extract, that gun is not FIR?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ Yep, none of that stuff that PMC brought into raid is FIR. Doesn't bother me a whole lot because I like using full kits I lift off of other PMC's. But it is a bummer that you're forced to vendor items you wouldn't otherwise use.

hakimashou posted:

the required search/barter economy was neat emergent gameplay and its really bad when lovely developers stamp out that stuff

i think they are done making tarkov better and from now on its just gonna go the other way

This I agree with. I think they saw non-FIR LedX & GPU's still going for market price via barters and made the change.

My guess is they want to keep stuff like that out of secure containers, and have you prioritize your secure spots for items that still have use as non-FIR. If I'm running with a goonstack and I find a defib there is a good chance I keep it in my pack and don't just huck it right into my secure container. That way a buddy can take it off of me if I die - and that would also give another squad a huge win if they managed to wipe us and yoink my stuff.

With or without this change I still think Tapkob is fun as hell and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Anything I find in a raid should be found in raid. Keep items dropped by party members unchecked, but other randoms should be FIR (just like scavs or raiders that happen to be in the raid).

At least I’ll start getting more back on insurance.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah for me I don't think it's going to make much difference. If I find a good gun on a PMC I'll either use that myself or just break it up and sell it to traders to level them. This time around I'm working on doing my hideout and quests a bit more, so I'm not too worried about having cash money right now. If I'm really strapped I can just do a few Interchange loot runs to work up a couple mil.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I don't like it because like a lot of their recent moves it feels like lovely punitive "gently caress off casuals" nonsense (see also: moving the RK3 and and RK-1 from Skier 2 to Skier 3, though admittedly that's more in line with where they "should" be relative to other gear), but after thinking about it a little bit the problem is really more around how lovely quests have gated unlocks and how a lot of the crafting recipes are setup/hideout leveling works, and to some extent these might be semi-necessary changes to get to an economy more like they want + crack down on RMT, and (aside from the necessary overhaul to quests) a lot of things can be fixed by just adding/altering recipes and fine-tuning vendor offerings

I'd feel a lot happier about all that if I could more comfortably point to recent QOL changes that didn't seem to be catering primarily to whiny nolifers though - I guess maybe the long overdue adjustments to the 7.62 AK rifles since that gives people an early option that's more of a credible threat?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

LGD posted:

I'd feel a lot happier about all that if I could more comfortably point to recent QOL changes that didn't seem to be catering primarily to whiny nolifers though - I guess maybe the long overdue adjustments to the 7.62 AK rifles since that gives people an early option that's more of a credible threat?

Most important cases and difficult to find FIR items now have crafts.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

The Virgin BSG: casuals shouldn't have meta guns with good ammo that have incredibly low time to kill at 40+ m

The Chad Hunter: exists

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fennesz posted:

Most important cases and difficult to find FIR items now have crafts.

that's fair, and probably a good indication they do intent to follow through on the player-driven economy stuff and not just have things be relentlessly unpleasant, but most of those are aimed at high-level quests/hideout upgrades

and I guess I should also consider things like the 2x Hot Rod->30x 5.45 BS barter

e:

Ixtlilton posted:

The Virgin BSG: casuals shouldn't have meta guns with good ammo that have incredibly low time to kill at 40+ m

The Chad Hunter: exists
they actually really took the wind out of its sails a bit this patch - m80 is 700+ a round on flea (though tbf getting to Peacekeeper 2 is, uh, not a real obstacle) and the 10 round mags are ~20k/loving Jaeger 3

I've been getting murdered by hunters wayyyyy less

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 19, 2020

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

LGD posted:

e:

they actually really took the wind out of its sails a bit this patch - m80 is 700+ a round on flea (though tbf getting to Peacekeeper 2 is, uh, not a real obstacle) and the 10 round mags are ~20k/loving Jaeger 3

I've been getting murdered by hunters wayyyyy less

fair point, I forgot the Jaeger 3 requirement on those/20k on market. Still, 60k for the hunter plus mag and then just extra 5s is solid.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there really no in-game or cheater report function outside of posting on the Tarkov forums?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Gabriel S. posted:

Is there really no in-game or cheater report function outside of posting on the Tarkov forums?

There is not.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Phobeste posted:

Shoreline like woods can be extremely asymmetrically lethal especially if you're new because experienced people know where to go to get a sightline across, say, the entire part of the map between radio and road to customs, while new people often get lost in the rolling fields in a way that means they have shorter sightlines of their own. It's really important on shoreline specifically to rapidly orient yourself when you spawn, figure out where you are relative to those places - like radio tower or weather on the right side of the map. Then when you move you should always be thinking about where you are and what your cover and escape options are like relative to those places.

Also even though it's a big map, since a lot of it is open fields the axes of movement are compressed into areas that have cover. You usually have to take those yourself, you don't really have a choice, but it's worth being aware of "i'm coming up on a place where a shitload of people travel and might run into them". Areas like

- the hills by the road on the straightline path between tunnel and gas station
- the hills by the road on the straightline path between the watchtower by ccp fence and gas station
- any of the approaches to resort, particularly the hill down from resort towards swamp
- the ridges that kind of lead between resort and village
- the shoreline road (do not ever take this road unless you want to fight pmcs, particularly Strongly Reconsider crossing the river using it)
- pretty much the entire wall that has road to customs in it
- the wall beside swamp

Especially if you're going in at night, you should also look up the common stash run routes because other people who go in at night are often doing so to hit the stashes, so if you're in some out of the way place but it happens to be on a stash route you might get surprised.

Thank you for this, I forgot about the common stash routes for sure.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The tedious pissant devs made another change, if you put an unenchanted part on an enchanted gun, the whole gun loses its enchantment.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I really enjoy watching the game go from "Yeah, it's as accurate of a simulator as we can make it," at least in their gamey way, to things having invisible magic status to them- the flea market master knows if someone else has touched this gun, your character would never pick up more than two copies of the same key, etc.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Depending on what kind of magic the cult has that the cultists are from, they might put some crystals in or something and they can have a new workbench in the hideout the ENCHANTMENT ALTAR where you can combine some unenchanted item and the crystal and it will produce an enchanted item of the same item by enchanting it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
when do i get the wizzard bullets

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

idiotsavant posted:

ya with the magic stuff they are adding im hoping we can get like enchant: fire damage for bullets and maybe if you get really high lvl you can enchant ur armor to have fire damage resistance

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Warmage is a PK3/Jaeger 4 trade

but its a pretty lovely wizard

Orv
May 4, 2011
Your skill in altercation has increased.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Add death mics to tarkov

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Started playing again after a long absence. Immediately got hooked. There is just something about this game. Had to retweak a lot of settings and am still seeing lots of lag and stutters, but am still having fun when things aren't going horribly wrong.

Just doing scav runs for now while I build up a bank roll and some confidence. I'll be looking to play with goons soon. Last wipe I just soloed alot but this wipe I want to try some of the squad stuff.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Started playing again after a long absence. Immediately got hooked. There is just something about this game. Had to retweak a lot of settings and am still seeing lots of lag and stutters, but am still having fun when things aren't going horribly wrong.

Just doing scav runs for now while I build up a bank roll and some confidence. I'll be looking to play with goons soon. Last wipe I just soloed alot but this wipe I want to try some of the squad stuff.

Update your drivers. At the behest of Blue17Echo I updated my drivers (which I neglected for a month or two) and I haven't stuttered outside of a menu since. YMMV of course, but it's worth double checking because the gameplay has improved drastically in the short amount of time I've been playing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah stutters are all but gone for me. ive had it happen once where i had a round with a lot of stuttering, just closed and reopened the game after that raid and it didnt happen again.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Tried to do the meta thing of getting the Punisher SVD kills by running an SVD on Factory and using it as a battle rifle. Me and a friend spawned in glass which was terrible as I didn't have a chance to take pain meds, then ran into 3 more PMCs in the red light room. We got one each but the last guy was a mosling who dinged my Altyn twice and down I went. :rip:

Always seems to happen with running good gear, either the game wigs out, you run into a hacker, or you run into someone who can clown you with lesser equipment, like my mate in the previous raid who got legged in a second by sub10's as we were transiting.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i got a flir in a twitch drop lol

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

Tried to do the meta thing of getting the Punisher SVD kills by running an SVD on Factory and using it as a battle rifle. Me and a friend spawned in glass which was terrible as I didn't have a chance to take pain meds, then ran into 3 more PMCs in the red light room. We got one each but the last guy was a mosling who dinged my Altyn twice and down I went. :rip:

Always seems to happen with running good gear, either the game wigs out, you run into a hacker, or you run into someone who can clown you with lesser equipment, like my mate in the previous raid who got legged in a second by sub10's as we were transiting.

Losing good gear will happen all the time. The thing about running good gear is if you do it frequently, you'll end up with way more situations where you are the last living dude on the map carting out all of the loot.

I think of it like gambling. The house still always wins but you can increase your odds of survival in firefights from 30% to 45% if you're running better gear.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

i got a flir in a twitch drop lol

I kept seeing people in twitch chat yesterday saying they got thermals from the drops, I thought it was a bot but if it really just gave everyone thermals then I'm watching twitch more

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Free IRs for everyone is the exact kind of stupid poo poo to make raids a mess for a while. Drops were pretty well paced with hideout mats and cases that are nice QOL boosts without affecting actual gameplay but I guess bsg just can’t loving help themselves.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I just started trying to get drops and now i'm gonna be that guy who complains about not getting any drops, ever. I left it up last night when I went to bed and have been having it play today and nothing. I just did a reset, so maybe that will help.

Also, there were new drivers for my card. So I updated those and we'll see if it helps.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I've been watching for 5 days and I've gotten an m1a ebr, tx-15, aks-74, dvl-10, ASH-12, aks-74 and several handguns, a slick plate carrier, gen4 high mobility and Paca, 2 Shturman's keys and 2 lab cards, a docs case, FLIR, 3 blue fuel tanks, gfx card, plus a bunch of different med-kits, barter goods, mods, rigs and more.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

ShowTime posted:

I just started trying to get drops and now i'm gonna be that guy who complains about not getting any drops, ever. I left it up last night when I went to bed and have been having it play today and nothing. I just did a reset, so maybe that will help.

Also, there were new drivers for my card. So I updated those and we'll see if it helps.

Be sure your twitch profile is set to Online.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

fennesz posted:

I think of it like gambling. The house still always wins but you can increase your odds of survival in firefights from 30% to 45% if you're running better gear.

Yeah this is correct. Tarkovv is a gambling game, each time you go out with your PMC you are betting your gear against the chance to bring back more/better stuff. The gameplay loop hits the same parts of your brain that traditional gambling games do, it’s why it’s so addictive to a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I fixed it.

F