Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

minema posted:

I die about half the time I attempt to land on a planet and find it creepy whenever I'm exploring in the dark, it's possible this isn't the game for me! My husband took over for a loop and made much more progress.

one real good underrated thing about this game is that it is excellent for observational play and hot seat co-op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
joking aside, i had no problem with dark bramble but the ash twin caverns set off claustrophobia that i never knew i had

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's something for every phobia. If the dark cramped caves don't get you the storms over deep ocean will. If that doesn't, the rickety bridges over a long fall will. If that doesn't, the endless fog and monsters will. And if none of that works, the promise of the inevitable, unavoidable death of all things will fill you with existential terror.

minema
May 31, 2011

luxury handset posted:

one real good underrated thing about this game is that it is excellent for observational play and hot seat co-op

Yeah it's fun, we swap turns and because it doesn't matter that my bad steering kills us we can just laugh about it. He's not very good at puzzles either so it works well. Definitely enjoying it so far though. Should I be spoiling the loops mechanic, I knew about it before playing so haven't been but maybe I should?

And yeah, husband has real bad fear of deep water and things living in it so I'm going to have to do Giant's Deep while he watches, he's refused to visit so far.

minema fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 19, 2020

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

outer wilds might be in my top 5 games of all time but i need to get all the chievos on steam and really think about it

I just can't really think of a game that surprised me and made me feel so incredibly curious and impressed where I was so pumped to explore a clue I just found that I would start a new loop and immediately die because I forgot to put on my space suit upon disembarking from excitement

minema
May 31, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

outer wilds might be in my top 5 games of all time but i need to get all the chievos on steam and really think about it

I just can't really think of a game that surprised me and made me feel so incredibly curious and impressed where I was so pumped to explore a clue I just found that I would start a new loop and immediately die because I forgot to put on my space suit upon disembarking from excitement

I did that on my very first loop.

Also, would recommend Heavens Vault to anyone who likes this game, its more adventure game-y and not as pretty but it's about discovering an ancient language and translating it, and flying around space-rivers on a very rickety boat.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

minema posted:

I die about half the time I attempt to land on a planet and find it creepy whenever I'm exploring in the dark, it's possible this isn't the game for me! My husband took over for a loop and made much more progress.

Oh yeah, I still feel like I make zero progress other than 1. Don't go there again, and 2. This will kill you.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

haveblue posted:

There's something for every phobia. If the dark cramped caves don't get you the storms over deep ocean will. If that doesn't, the rickety bridges over a long fall will. If that doesn't, the endless fog and monsters will. And if none of that works, the promise of the inevitable, unavoidable death of all things will fill you with existential terror.

The only part that got me was the moment I realized I had TrulyFuckedUpTM by destroying reality through duping the probe. Even the other variations of that particular incident didn't get me as much as that.

E: The ending where you've removed the core and then left for the quantum moon's secret location is also pretty existentially creepy.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 19, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

minema posted:

I did that on my very first loop.

Also, would recommend Heavens Vault to anyone who likes this game, its more adventure game-y and not as pretty but it's about discovering an ancient language and translating it, and flying around space-rivers on a very rickety boat.

seconding the heavens vault suggestion. it’s very different from most games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Landing with the ship just takes practice. And most crashes end with you just having to repair the ship and it's good as new. I know the game says 'gamepad recommended' but I couldn't get my brain to wrap around using a controller. I switched to keyboard and I can land just fine. I guess I'm just used to kerbal space program.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm fine with a controller. I've never had trouble landing, but I do have trouble keeping my ship out of harm's way. I landed on Ash Twin and my ship got sucked up in to a sand column so I was stranded and ran out of O2. I found Giant's Deep and Gabbro and my ship floated away. But I died before needing to get back to it, so okay.

I'm starting to get the hang of how this works. I found an island about an orbital cannon so I'll need to go back to that spot. I see the ship log keeps everything I did and tells me if there's more to explore at a place I've been.

I was way more terrified by the giant cyclones than the giant angler fish.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

general giant's deep musing:

i find it very funny how the giant ocean world isn't where you find all the terrifying fish. the first time i landed there i 100% expected to see some subnautica bullshit but im glad there were just friendly jellfish

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I only just found out about a cool secret having thought I’d finished the game.

Spoiler how to get it

hang out in the core of ash twin as the supernova explodes, do NOT take the black hole core but do pay attention to it.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

dmboogie posted:

general giant's deep musing:

i find it very funny how the giant ocean world isn't where you find all the terrifying fish. the first time i landed there i 100% expected to see some subnautica bullshit but im glad there were just friendly jellfish

one of the villagers at the beginning of the game hints at this being the case so it's funny when it's not

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just got the achievement for landing on and entering the sun station with your ship instead of the intended story progression method. always thought you had to pull off some super crazy hot shot maverick trick poo poo to do that but the key was to take your time and line it up and have lots and lots of horizontal momentum for your ship to keep you afloat at about 2700m. that poo poo was tense as gently caress when I had it perfectly lined up and jumped out.

that is, when I could jump out since the second I unbuckled myself I was flung to the back of my loving ship and pinned to the wall like a gravitron ride since the gravity was so high 😂

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Just started playing. This is a nice game. And it has nice music.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

massive spider posted:

I only just found out about a cool secret having thought I’d finished the game.

Spoiler how to get it

hang out in the core of ash twin as the supernova explodes, do NOT take the black hole core but do pay attention to it.

Even better, jump into it at the end, then take a look at the map in the next cycle

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah, I would likewise recommend that newcomers definitely not read that.

Some people do find that part frustrating, but unfortunately it's very difficult to give hints for without outright spoiling it. All I can really say is that if you're finding a part of the game frustrating or inconsistent to pull off then there's probably a detail of the mechanics that you're missing.

Note: This advice may not apply to achievements.

I think I've hit that wall in DB. Resisted the urge to mouse over that blacktext or look up spoilers so I'm just going to slow the game down a bit and hang out in Timber Hearth for a bit while I think about it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, just go visit some other places. Ideally when you're ready to enter Dark Bramble you'll likely know exactly how to survive it.

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 21, 2020

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
This may be one of my top ten of all time. Haven't binged a game like this in a very long time

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm binging hard and avoiding reading anything whatsoever.....think I'm nearing the end but who knows. Great game.

Just came in to mention that a million loops in and I still auto pilot myself into the sun sometimes.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bedshaped posted:

I think I've hit that wall in DB. Resisted the urge to mouse over that blacktext or look up spoilers so I'm just going to slow the game down a bit and hang out in Timber Hearth for a bit while I think about it.

The 'wall' I hit was actually in Ash Twin. I looked up one hint and I'm glad I did because I would honestly never have tried the trick to walk into the broken tower warp just as the sand is passing overhead. Can't remember if there was even any mention of where the warp to the Core was, I just assumed it was at the 'sixth location'.

Since, my last two clues were 'sixth location' and 'ash twin cores' I incorrectly assumed the former led to the latter and was looking all over the high-energy lab and blackhole forge for a new warp core for the ship :cripes:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just realized: do you ever find out who the third person in the time loop is?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bedshaped posted:

I just realized: do you ever find out who the third person in the time loop is?

It's the information being sent back.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, specifically it's the computer that holds the coordinates sent back by the successful probe, i.e. the location of the Eye.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

If you've hit a wall, then go somewhere else. Check your information board and see where else you can still explore. You don't need to guess at anything, the game has information on how to do everything you need to do. Well, except for the one thing in spoiler text above. I don't know if there's anything in the game that specifically mentions what you're supposed to do there. It's more of a "Well this thing does this, and that's like that, and doing this does that, so maybe I need to do this other thing" and then you've got it. I did it on accident my first time, had no idea what I even did, couldn't get it to work again and just looked it up since I had already "discovered" it once.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

What’s the information/rumor board I’ve seen a few posts about? Is it the ship log or somewhere in the starting village?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Look Sir Droids posted:

What’s the information/rumor board I’ve seen a few posts about? Is it the ship log or somewhere in the starting village?

Yep, it's the log at the rear of your ship.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm trying to clear up the rest of my ship rumors for the achievement and I can't find the Ash twin alignment map log . I know what planet it's on but can't seem to find the building that it is in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like they patched the game and that's a new one. They changed around the black hole forge raise/drop room. Used to be there were some stairs down the side of the room, now there are stairs in the back of the room and the top is closed off. I'll leave that as a hint.

Also, my previous info is now wrong. The game now does give you information do to everything.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like they patched the game and that's a new one. They changed around the black hole forge raise/drop room. Used to be there were some stairs down the side of the room, now there are stairs in the back of the room and the top is closed off. I'll leave that as a hint.

Also, my previous info is now wrong. The game now does give you information do to everything.

Wait, what does the new hint tell you, exactly?

That one final puzzle was tough to get but they need to be careful cause if someone finds that location too early it'll ruin the plot for them.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

Wait, what does the new hint tell you, exactly?

That one final puzzle was tough to get but they need to be careful cause if someone finds that location too early it'll ruin the plot for them.

There's a discussion on the wall in the Black Hole Forge that tells you there's a 5-second window for using the teleporters (with a moving diagram next to it that teaches it visually and there's a new scroll of a Clary and Poke argument that mentions how both Ember and Ash Twin's alignment point is between the two.

I think it's a really big push towards the ATP solution, but anyone who manages to get to the Black Hole Forge has probably got a pretty good handle on things already.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 22, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pigbuster posted:

There's a discussion on the wall in the Black Hole Forge that tells you there's a 5-second window for using the teleporters (with a moving diagram next to it that teaches it visually and there's a new scroll of a Clary and Poke argument that mentions how both Ember and Ash Twin's alignment point is between the two.

I think it's a really big push towards the ATP solution, but anyone who manages to get to the Black Hole Forge has probably got a pretty good handle on things already.

Yeah, the developers probably have a lot of data to show that Black Hole Forge is a late game destination for most people despite being technically available immediately (like literally everything in this game lol). It was one of the very last places I made it, and same for Materwelonz (Youtuber who did a full playthrough, linked a page or two ago). I'd be willing to bet that, if you find the Black Hole Forge early, you're in the minority there. ALSO! I found the ATP by accident fairly early on in my playthrough, and while it was a lot of interesting info, I still didn't have all the pieces and I certainly wouldn't say I was prematurely spoiled or anything.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This game was utterly stunning. Sweaty palms, fear of leaping into dark places and existential terror throughout. Gorgeous graphics style that manages to balance the wacky cartoon scale of the star system with the mystique and wonder of the deeper parts of the story. The music beautifully express shifts in tone between optimistic discovery and sad but inevitable tragedy.

I played through the whole game checking everything methodically and gathering all pieces of information I could about the backstory. Each clue is very well placed and presents enough puzzle to inspire the player about unlocking new mysteries. One or two parts felt disjointed enough that they might have needed extra rumour tiles but, in general, everything could be solved if you focused on the narratives and kept a strong sense of what your own objectives at any time were. I reached the ending after around 22 hours, and it feels very well built up.

The devices and tools you're equipped with have huge usability and usefulness. You really do feel like Tom Cruise when you compare slowly struggling to fly your ship to nearby bodies and do basic acrobatics to making high-speed gravity manoeuvres and precise thruster action by the end of the game. The gameplay mechanics are seamless and I only really found one thing I would say needs fixing (quantum objects blowing up your ship).

Definitely in my top 5 games. It really deserves all the accolades.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Over the weekend I bought a new tv for the first time in 9 years and wanted to see Outer Wilds in 4k but me and my girlfriend got too high and what began as an innocent fun trip around space turned into a frightening trip through the sunless city and it was a little too intense for me lol

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

timp posted:

Yeah, the developers probably have a lot of data to show that Black Hole Forge is a late game destination for most people despite being technically available immediately (like literally everything in this game lol). It was one of the very last places I made it, and same for Materwelonz (Youtuber who did a full playthrough, linked a page or two ago). I'd be willing to bet that, if you find the Black Hole Forge early, you're in the minority there. ALSO! I found the ATP by accident fairly early on in my playthrough, and while it was a lot of interesting info, I still didn't have all the pieces and I certainly wouldn't say I was prematurely spoiled or anything.

It makes sense that it's a late game destination because you have to intentionally be going there as your destination, it requires multiple steps across different planets. You can't really wander into it, unlike the Ash Twin core.

The Ash Twin core definitely does spoil some things. There are long running threads about the orbital cannon, purpose of the ATP, and the power source that are introduced early in fragments in multiple easy-to-find locations. They're finally fully explained in endgame areas that are much harder to reach like the sun station or probe module, but they're also all pasted onto the Lore Recap wall in the core. Working out what the Nomai were doing is an important part of this game, just look at this thread for how peoples perception of events changed as they progress.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Darox posted:

It makes sense that it's a late game destination because you have to intentionally be going there as your destination, it requires multiple steps across different planets. You can't really wander into it, unlike the Ash Twin core.

The Ash Twin core definitely does spoil some things. There are long running threads about the orbital cannon, purpose of the ATP, and the power source that are introduced early in fragments in multiple easy-to-find locations. They're finally fully explained in endgame areas that are much harder to reach like the sun station or probe module, but they're also all pasted onto the Lore Recap wall in the core. Working out what the Nomai were doing is an important part of this game, just look at this thread for how peoples perception of events changed as they progress.

Do you? I thought you just needed to teleport there from the ash twins. I discovered the teleports pretty early but for some weird reason I thought they were meant for some late game puzzle and they just took you all around the solar system but nowhere you couldn't reach by regular means. It wasn't until the late game that I realized I should've tried to use them earlier on.

It kinda seems like someone might give it a shot and find that by sheer chance. But I suppose if they've made that change it's because they've looked at the data and realized people were having trouble with that part (which certainly was the case for me).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elman posted:

Do you? I thought you just needed to teleport there from the ash twins. I discovered the teleports pretty early but for some weird reason I thought they were meant for some late game puzzle and they just took you all around the solar system but nowhere you couldn't reach by regular means. It wasn't until the late game that I realized I should've tried to use them earlier on.

It kinda seems like someone might give it a shot and find that by sheer chance. But I suppose if they've made that change it's because they've looked at the data and realized people were having trouble with that part (which certainly was the case for me).

You need to hit a button elsewhere on Brittle Hollow to make the forge accessible from the teleport destination

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can't accidentally get there because it is a multi planet puzzle. You have to go to the hanging city, raise the forge, then head all the way back to ash twin. By the time you make the connection between the two, you're probably far enough along in the game that you're ready for that info anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Oh yeah. I played through it a few months ago so I was rusty on the details. Sounds good, then.

I'm pleasantly surprised that timp says finding the ATP early didn't spoil the story for them. It's probably a vastly different experience if that happens, but I'm glad the game is enjoyable regardless.