Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Flesnolk posted:

Who was it?

Evil Uno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think if you're looking up the age of consent and trying to find the youngest person you're allowed to gently caress you probably aren't right in the head

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't know what the edit means, but the post, when taken in good faith, seems reasonable enough. I mean, maybe I'm naive, but I don't think most countries in europe are full of pedos, even if their age of consent is lower than ours (and should probably be raised).

I mean, countries should have one uniform time for when you become an adult. Like, here in the USA isn't it 3 different ages for when you can drink, kill for your country, and fuuuuuk?

Yeah and in the states it can vary from state to state in the case of the loving. I used to work at a Planned Parenthood affiliate and had to have different scripts based on the different states because each one had different laws on consent, abortion, etc and we were mandatory reporters.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:thunk: :thunkher: :birdthunk:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Can we go back to discussing dead dogs

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Stux posted:

most of the thread was ppl declaring all video game narratives pointless while also misunderstanding them its been a great time

Actually most of this thread is just your posts

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Best I can do is this. You'll just have to imagine they're dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQKXq78pVg

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ErrEff posted:

Best I can do is this. You'll just have to imagine they're dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQKXq78pVg

It looks like the game would be a thousand times better if it was just about Ellie playing with friendly dogs.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eraflure posted:

Can we go back to discussing dead dogs

Born in a cave raised by a hog blastuing dogs is all i crave

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CountryMatters posted:

Actually most of this thread is just your posts

yeah its a good thread

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is this some loving saltbae poo poo?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Doge Meme community has been deafeningly silent throughout all of this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Is this some loving saltbae poo poo?

Imagine Spielberg announcing the premiere of Schindler's List with a saltbae meme

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't know what the edit means, but the post, when taken in good faith, seems reasonable enough. I mean, maybe I'm naive, but I don't think most countries in europe are full of pedos, even if their age of consent is lower than ours (and should probably be raised).

I mean, countries should have one uniform time for when you become an adult. Like, here in the USA isn't it 3 different ages for when you can drink, kill for your country, and fuuuuuk?

Its actually lower than where i'm from in quite a few states, so its a bit :v: coming from any US poster. This was from the archeage thread where there was some ex cop who was really specific about the difference between hebe and pedo and we were memeposting, oh well :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Imagine Spielberg announcing the premiere of Schindler's List with a saltbae meme

No you see, if he embraces it he looks like less of a hack, you see!

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

hatty posted:

I don’t think the reviews are paid I just think some game journos want to pretend they work for the New Yorker and like to wax poetic.

That reminds me the New York Times review for this game is epic. The game has gameplay, and there also is violence. I believe there is a line that goes "In other video games, you don't question why you're killing people, you just assume the enemies are evil - not so in The Last of Us 2!". The author does not know what cutscenes are and must explain them.
I wonder if there's some kind of bell curve going on here? On one side are idiot redditors who hate this game because it has a woman in it. On the other side is anyone who's played an indie game, knows that LISA/Spec Ops has done this before, and realizes almost all of the characters are the same person. In the middle is a big ol hump of Game Journalists who are fascinated by the idea of "the game that is not fun", perhaps they clap when Joel appears and are dazzled by snow physics. The score climbs higher and higher with each dog murder like The Price is Right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FalconImpala posted:

That reminds me the New York Times review for this game is epic. The game has gameplay, and there also is violence. I believe there is a line that goes "In other video games, you don't question why you're killing people, you just assume the enemies are evil - not so in The Last of Us 2!". The author does not know what cutscenes are and must explain them.
I wonder if there's some kind of bell curve going on here? On one side are idiot redditors who hate this game because it has a woman in it. On the other side is anyone who's played an indie game, knows that LISA/Spec Ops has done this before, and realizes almost all of the characters are the same person. In the middle is a big ol hump of Game Journalists who are fascinated by the idea of "the game that is not fun", perhaps they clap when Joel appears and are dazzled by snow physics. The score climbs higher and higher with each dog murder like The Price is Right

https://twitter.com/NYT_first_said/status/1273908665272197120

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But also game reviewers don't get paid off that's stupid and "writing like the New Yorker" shouldn't be off limits for writing about games

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/plante/status/1273944059296600064

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
games should only be company A makes game. Person B plays it. The entire game industry should be outlawed, including this post.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

games should only be company A makes game. Person B plays it. The entire game industry should be outlawed, including this post.

I don't think there's any bit of consumable media that would fit this criteria

I suppose maybe like a homemade baked good...

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

It looks like the game would be a thousand times better if it was just about Ellie playing with friendly dogs.

Well guess what

https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/status/1273730455154671616?s=20

Game redeemed ?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But also game reviewers don't get paid off that's stupid and "writing like the New Yorker" shouldn't be off limits for writing about games

I'm really wanting some more legit games criticism, in the sense of literary/film criticism. I want more good writing that critically examines games from a bunch of different angles beyond previews, reviews, and the occasional bland thinkpiece. There's definitely some of this out there--including some pretty good Youtube channels that do this kind of thing--but I want more.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It's truly tragic when the alt right jumps on criticism of a Mixed Thing and sets up all these false lightning rods. The Last Jedi comparisons are HORRIFICALLY apt.

Like if you're upset about Luke or Joel, it means they did it RIGHT. It's the rest of it that's the problem, you idiots.

Why discuss pointless final acts or character motivations when you can use comically large arms to be transphobic or whatever? The amount of bullshit like about Druckman being the guy in the sex scene when he's not is just so desparate. Honestly I'm sad this poo poo got leaked and reamed for out of context bullshit by people too attached to Generic Beard Violence Man than getting criticised for just being nothing.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Harrow posted:

I'm really wanting some more legit games criticism, in the sense of literary/film criticism. I want more good writing that critically examines games from a bunch of different angles beyond previews, reviews, and the occasional bland thinkpiece. There's definitely some of this out there--including some pretty good Youtube channels that do this kind of thing--but I want more.
That's kind of my problem, it seems like that more in-depth critical analysis is exclusively in the domain of hobbyists and crowd-funding/youtube influencers, whereas most of the publications don't seem able or willing to support content like that.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm really wanting some more legit games criticism, in the sense of literary/film criticism.

No video game is worth the effort. You might as well try to write a literary criticism of a football.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

https://www.critical-distance.com/

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

People still try very hard.

quote:

Nongamers often ask when videogames are finally going to get their "Citizen Kane." But when Spore ships sometime next year, this infant medium might receive its Torah, its "Origin of Species" and its "2001: A Space Odyssey" all rolled into one.

They never stop asking! Why won't they stop?

quote:

An Electronic Arts slogan once asked, "Can a computer game make you cry?" The implication was that someday a game could be art, that it would be able to move you just as a great novel or movie does. So far, games haven't been very good at telling stories, because the designer has to stop telling the story so that you can play the game, and vice versa. Wright's games, by contrast, let you tell that story through your actions: look into Spore and you will see a reflection of yourself.

This is easily solved by just making the game one long cutscene. Why haven't game designers done this already?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

Vice gaming is good, they have an analysis up on LOU2 right now.

That dude on youtube who does all the FPSs, face full of eyes, if fuckin phenomenal.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

I did not expect this thread to have anything of worth to me, personally, but then there's this post, validating this thread's existence. Thank you for the link.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why won't Druckmann get any retribution for this? Will he simply be able to get away with this because Metacritic gave him a 94??

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

for what

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/jph_anderson/status/1273882356357758976

:sickos:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

FalconImpala posted:

I wonder if there's some kind of bell curve going on here? On one side are idiot redditors who hate this game because it has a woman in it. On the other side is anyone who's played an indie game, knows that LISA/Spec Ops has done this before, and realizes almost all of the characters are the same person.

Why are you talking about rogue one in this video game thread

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

literally nothing happens literally 30 seconds into the game though?

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Currently watching around 4 hours into a playthrough. I haven't yet found a scene where a character has something to say to another character. How does that even happen?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

literally nothing happens literally 30 seconds into the game though?

It's more that Joseph Anderson is one of the best long form video game analysis dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4DJbvO84I&t=6877s

For example his Last of Us review.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1274168534457712641

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Now that I’m thinking on it, why wouldn’t Joel be using a different name.

Like just tell Tommy, “brother, I’m going to need to be called John from now on because I killed a lot of people and they thought Ellie’s brain would have the cure for the fungus and who knows if someone might be looking for me”