Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
You said `Fundamentally what makes the wok special is the large, high powered burner that heats a huge surface area at once. If you don't have a high btu burner, there's no real point in the wok.' That is not true. High heat cooking is one thing a wok does. It is not the only thing. You do not need a high output burner to `take advantage of the wok's design'.

And if your burner output isn't enough to heat a wok, it's not enough to heat a sauté either. But it almost certainly is. You just have to preheat, work in batches, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh yeah I agree for deep frying. Just not really a traditional wok regarding how to cook with it.

deep frying is a common technique in wok-based chinese cooking though. and like subg said, a wok is an excellent deep frying vessel for a multitude of reasons

You can cook so many things in a wok. It isn't necessary for a lot of cooks, but I'd argue that it's beneficial to own for almost everybody.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SubG posted:

You said `Fundamentally what makes the wok special is the large, high powered burner that heats a huge surface area at once. If you don't have a high btu burner, there's no real point in the wok.'

I stand by that statement. If you're just using it on a normal home range it's a fairly redundant piece of kitchen equipment that isn't going to do much you can't do with equipment you probably already own.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Based on everything I know about woks, most of the last few posts are totally wrong. The wok's reason to be is on a gas stove where the wok's shape and thermal conductivity/retention properties allow the deep center to be hot and the outer edges to be cold.

If you're preheating a wok to an even temperature, or using it for deep frying, it may work for sure, but it would work with any other pan and defeats the purpose of a wok. The best reason to use a wok for deep frying is that you already own a wok and have a gas stove and use it as your workhorse pan. It's not a reason to go buy one.

xtal fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 18, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
All this wok talk makes me wish I had gas...

Sigh... :negative:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Buy a camp chef outdoorsman with the 30k btu burners for 99 bucks if you don't have enough heat for your wok.

Resting Lich Face posted:

All this wok talk makes me wish I had gas...

Sigh... :negative:

Eat some cabbage.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I stand by that statement. If you're just using it on a normal home range it's a fairly redundant piece of kitchen equipment that isn't going to do much you can't do with equipment you probably already own.
In the sense that owning a chef's knife (or, horrors, more than one), a paring knife, a filet knife, and a bread knife is redundant because, you know, they all cut things and so owning more than one is fairly redundant. Or owning a tumbler, a coffee mug, an old fashioned glass, and a cocktail coupe is a bunch of fairly redundant glassware because they all serve the basic function of keeping your drink from spilling all over the table before you can drink it. But if we're not subscribing to that particular form of insanity then we probably own a lot of kitchen implements because they're well-suited to specific tasks. Even if we have other things which could theoretically serve the same function.

And if you're doing stir fry in a fuckin' sauté pan of all things then, no, really, using a pan with sloping sides like a wok actually has advantages. Like if you want to toss the food. You could theoretically use a fry pan/French skillet because they also have sloped sides, but for most stir fry dishes you're looking at a bunch of sauce in addition to the protein/veg, and having a pan that's one big valley with no flat surface helps with managing a bunch of liquid mixed in with your protein/veg. And, like with deep frying, having all that extra edge helps keep poo poo in the pan and not spattering on your cooking surface or whatever. It's also useful for heat management--having a hot center and cooler edges lets you move poo poo around in a way that's fundamental to a lot of cooking techniques. It's also makes a wok really good for pan roasting poo poo--peppers, pine nuts, peppercorns, whatever--without overcooking.

It also, as previously discussed, works as a deep fryer and has several advantages over e.g. using a dutch oven. And it's a steamer. And works well with a lid, and so for the various cooking techniques that involve using a covered cooking vessel.

If you were really worried about wasting your kitchen space on redundant cookware, you'd be tossing out your other poo poo and getting a wok, not the other way around. But, you know, that would be silly. Because even if you could theoretically grill a burger in a wok you wouldn't fuckin' do it because you have something else that's better suited to the task. And while I'm sure it is theoretically possible to make, I dunno, pan fried noodles in a fuckin' sauté, unless you were trying to prove something I don't know why you'd put yourself through it because using a wok to do it would make your life a whole lot easier.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like it when i just need to deep fry a few small things, the slope lets me use less oil. Or so I think.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Nobody’s arguing that a wok isn’t the best thing to make stir fry in, friend. They’re just pointing out that a wok takes up a lot of space and if you don’t make stir fry very often, you might prefer to have that space for other things.

E: went back and looked and the original question is in fact about stir fry, but on an induction burner. I’d be amazed if you could get good performance out that combo even with a flat-bottom wok, just because induction relies on close contact between the element and the pan to create heat, but woks don’t cost very much so if you want to try it don’t let subg scare you off

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 18, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SubG posted:

In the sense that owning a chef's knife (or, horrors, more than one), a paring knife, a filet knife, and a bread knife is redundant because, you know, they all cut things and so owning more than one is fairly redundant. Or owning a tumbler, a coffee mug, an old fashioned glass, and a cocktail coupe is a bunch of fairly redundant glassware because they all serve the basic function of keeping your drink from spilling all over the table before you can drink it. But if we're not subscribing to that particular form of insanity then we probably own a lot of kitchen implements because they're well-suited to specific tasks. Even if we have other things which could theoretically serve the same function.

And if you're doing stir fry in a fuckin' sauté pan of all things then, no, really, using a pan with sloping sides like a wok actually has advantages. Like if you want to toss the food. You could theoretically use a fry pan/French skillet because they also have sloped sides, but for most stir fry dishes you're looking at a bunch of sauce in addition to the protein/veg, and having a pan that's one big valley with no flat surface helps with managing a bunch of liquid mixed in with your protein/veg. And, like with deep frying, having all that extra edge helps keep poo poo in the pan and not spattering on your cooking surface or whatever. It's also useful for heat management--having a hot center and cooler edges lets you move poo poo around in a way that's fundamental to a lot of cooking techniques. It's also makes a wok really good for pan roasting poo poo--peppers, pine nuts, peppercorns, whatever--without overcooking.

It also, as previously discussed, works as a deep fryer and has several advantages over e.g. using a dutch oven. And it's a steamer. And works well with a lid, and so for the various cooking techniques that involve using a covered cooking vessel.

If you were really worried about wasting your kitchen space on redundant cookware, you'd be tossing out your other poo poo and getting a wok, not the other way around. But, you know, that would be silly. Because even if you could theoretically grill a burger in a wok you wouldn't fuckin' do it because you have something else that's better suited to the task. And while I'm sure it is theoretically possible to make, I dunno, pan fried noodles in a fuckin' sauté, unless you were trying to prove something I don't know why you'd put yourself through it because using a wok to do it would make your life a whole lot easier.

I think you're wrong, you can rail on it and make up bad comparisons and poor examples all you want. Owned & used a wok regularly for 5 years. I don't miss it, and there are a very select few foods that I am unable to make as well without it. You can keep posting about it, I don't need to.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 18, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

hypnophant posted:

E: went back and looked and the original question is in fact about stir fry, but on an induction burner. I’d be amazed if you could get good performance out that combo even with a flat-bottom wok, just because induction relies on close contact between the element and the pan to create heat, but woks don’t cost very much so if you want to try it don’t let subg scare you off
Flat bottom woks work...okay. Like given the option I'd use a round-bottom on a gas burner, but a flat bottom wok still more or less just a wok.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think you're wrong, you can rail on it and make up bad comparisons and poor examples all you want. Owned & used a wok regularly for 5 years. I don't miss it, and there are a very select few foods that I am unable to make as well without it. You can keep posting about it, I don't need to.
I'm not arguing that you can't stir fry in a sauté pan (although based on your deleted edit I'm guessing you're using sauté pan interchangeably with fry pan/skillet, and a fry pan is a better substitute than a sauté). I'm saying a wok is a versatile cooking implement that's good for a lot of different cooking methods, and it's ideal for stir-fry. And you don't need a fancy high-output burner to take advantage of one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Speaking of taking up a lot of space, I have started baking bread and smoking lots of meats.

I've been considering getting a slicer to make uniformly sized slices of bread and to go through a brisket quickly. Any recommendations?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Speaking of taking up a lot of space, I have started baking bread and smoking lots of meats.

I've been considering getting a slicer to make uniformly sized slices of bread and to go through a brisket quickly. Any recommendations?
I think the Chef's Choice is the commonly recommended home kitchen one. If you're willing to devote the space to a commercial deli slicer you can check craigslist for inexpensive used ones.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is one of the most consistently contentious threads on SA and I love it for that.

I love my $16 walmart carbon steel wok, and it would take up a ton of space but it lives in a big drawer and I keep my onions in it so its a multitasker! It's great for stir fry of course but it also does great grilled onions/peppers for fajitas etc and is way lighter and easier to handle than a similarly large cast iron skillet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is one of the most consistently contentious threads on SA and I love it for that.

I love my $16 walmart carbon steel wok, and it would take up a ton of space but it lives in a big drawer and I keep my onions in it so its a multitasker! It's great for stir fry of course but it also does great grilled onions/peppers for fajitas etc and is way lighter and easier to handle than a similarly large cast iron skillet.

I bought a significantly more expensive carbon steel wok and barely use it because I have only an electric range. Anyone know if you should even have a wok without a really powerful gas stovetop?

kidding but I still don't use it much

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

I bought a significantly more expensive carbon steel wok and barely use it because I have only an electric range. Anyone know if you should even have a wok without a really powerful gas stovetop?

Someone will be by this evening to confiscate your wok.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

VelociBacon posted:

You need a wok ring, and a bit of patience is all. My mom used hers on our electric stoves in Miami all the time, and it was fine. Good Indian cooking is possible without a kadai (same as a wok, usually thicker material, made of aluminium or cast iron), but it'll end up being hella greasy AF as gently caress. That deep bowl shape to the bottom (flat bottomed woks are indeed useless; you might as well use a large skillet) lets you add just enough oil to submerge the spices completely, but not use a ton of oil. Or the curry leaves. Or the dried chilies. Or if you're Bengali, the bay leaves. Either way, you want that depth of oil to cook your tarka, which is the base of pretty much all South Indian cooking, and frequently the base of most North Indian cooking as well. There are certainly dishes where you grind all the spices together into a paste, and fry that in oil, but even then, you need submersion without gallons of oil.

It's fine on electric. Get you a wok ring. It basically focuses the heat and stabilises your wok atop your electric cooktop. Even when I had a gas range, it was still a home gas range, and not some kind of jet fuel shooting lava at the bottom of my pots. Not everything for wok cooking is stir fry.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I'd love a wok ring that is just a solid hunk of cast iron with a divot for a round-bottom wok that I can just set on an induction burner but I doubt such a thing exists. Ahhh the heat retention would be glorious though.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 19, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I know it's rather specialized but anyone have a good cherry pitter? Preferably one I could use for other stone fruits like olives?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

13" Le Crueset enameled cast iron skillet is coming. :dance:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'd love a wok ring that is just a solid hunk of cast iron with a divot for a round-bottom wok that I can just set on an induction burner but I doubt such a thing exists. Ahhh the heat retention would be glorious though.

you know, that 9" lodge wok discussed a few days ago is basically this, assuming a real wok will fit inside it

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The best thing I found for pitting cherries is a round piping tip on your finger.
I had to pit a ton of cherries in one kitchen I worked in from the trees on the property we tried every pitter out there they would squish the cherries too much or were too fiddly to use. Once you get into a groove with the tip on your finger you can fly through them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Croatoan posted:

I know it's rather specialized but anyone have a good cherry pitter? Preferably one I could use for other stone fruits like olives?

We have been very happy with our Oxo pitter for cherries

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I haven't met an oxo product I dislike.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I haven't met an oxo product I dislike.

those awful-rear end top-view measuring cups that have like a 40% margin of error

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I managed to break the handle off of their garlic press. It was OK until then I guess.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Hauki posted:

those awful-rear end top-view measuring cups that have like a 40% margin of error

Fuckin' love those things.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Their food mill is on the just ok side.

Like dont buy if you want a great one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I got some plastic oxo measuring spoons where the measurements all wore off because they were just printed on and not engraved or anything

otherwise every oxo product I own is great

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Hauki posted:

I thought it was pyrex measuring cups that had inaccurate measurements

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

13" Le Crueset enameled cast iron skillet is coming. :dance:

It's back-ordered :negative:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

It's back-ordered :negative:

I mean, they're the european lodge. I'm sure it'll only be delayed a month or so. Sucks but it's not like it'll be october? One would hope I mean?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Well yeah but I was excited and my workhorse pan is dying real bad. Yeeting nonstick outta here and getting on the quality everyday cookware train.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Any consensus on Cusinart Multiclad Pro vs Tramontina for a stainless steel 2-3 quart saucepan?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scholtz posted:

Any consensus on Cusinart Multiclad Pro vs Tramontina for a stainless steel 2-3 quart saucepan?
I have a 6 qt MCP and I've had problems with discolouration and pitting that I haven't had with any of my other stainless, including pots and pans I use more frequently. I have hard water so that might be a contributing factor, but in any case I wouldn't buy anything from the MCP line again.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

My experience with Cuisinart MCP has been different, we've got their 2 & 3 qt. saucepans, and apart from normal wear scratches there's been nothing that doesn't come and go with the acidity of whatever was cooked in it last. Out of curiosity I looked it up and our 2 qt. is 7 years old, I use that thing all the time and it doesn't look appreciably different than the day we got it.

Lots of people talk up Tramontina too though, I suspect they're close to the same sweet spot of price and quality.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hauki posted:

I worked in a kitchen that insisted on purchasing those things in bulk and I can confirm they're inaccurate pieces of poo poo that don't even pour well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Huh. I guess you just test them will masses of water on a scale? I’m curious now about how accurate mine are.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Huh. I guess you just test them will masses of water on a scale? I’m curious now about how accurate mine are.

We used them in large scale batching of cocktails a lot l and the biggest issue is the "top-down" readings are just really awkward to judge where the meniscus is, so I would use the side-read measurements since they were more accurate, which at that point is defeating the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If you want accuracy shop for lab beakers. They are essentially the same price and you can still get them made from Borosillicate glass. They don't have handles usually but, eh.