Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I was just too slow in taking a screenshot of burning pee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Okay, now everyone's got ten future cubes for no reason and I just sold 30 lumps of clay that magically appeared in my inventory????

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Went to a physical therapist for the optimistic whiplash I got with that Paralives drama. Airing out everything in public is a horrible look and I have almost zero hope for the game now lol.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the past people have posted about the crazy little details in sims 2. I recently got recommended these videos of someone going over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlWEvlW9jbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzHdwgjS0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NPUgE_MOow

Its crazy seeing what was in 2 that is just ignored for 3 and 4. Showers getting hot if a sim flushes the toilet, causing the sim in the shower to jump out and yell at them. Stepping over small objects on the floor. And whats with the lack of couples cuddling in bed?!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The future cubes and lumps of clay keep proliferating, even without mods. It's paying for my solar panels and water catchers. But my sim is always sad because the future cubes never have good news. Also everyone hates my Sim all of a sudden. If I see Drew Carey I'm gonna loving run.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The future cubes and lumps of clay keep proliferating, even without mods. It's paying for my solar panels and water catchers. But my sim is always sad because the future cubes never have good news. Also everyone hates my Sim all of a sudden. If I see Drew Carey I'm gonna loving run.

The teen sim of the family I'm playing suddenly got 10 each of a shitload of different harvestables in her inventory, like about 30 different things. It was Springfest when I noticed them so I thought it was the bunny maybe. No-one else got anything though.

Also littlemssam has freed the meatwall, now it's meatwalls for all! I was so disappointed when I found out the meatwall was gated behind the new career, I'd thought it would be gated behind gardening or handiness, but now I can have a meatwall yay.

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there a known bug where NPCs will snatch stuff off your lot even if they're not kleptomaniacs? Because Johnny Zest just lifted a potted plant and my patio table plus chairs.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Is there a known bug where NPCs will snatch stuff off your lot even if they're not kleptomaniacs? Because Johnny Zest just lifted a potted plant and my patio table plus chairs.

Exact revenge and kick him in the balls

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dawgstar posted:

One of the Neighborhood Action Plans in Eco Living is basically legal theft. Check your N.A.P.s to see if that one passed somehow.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Sky Shadowing posted:

One of the Neighborhood Action Plans in Eco Living is basically legal theft. Check your N.A.P.s to see if that one passed somehow.

Actually, don't bother. It's a Maxis gently caress-up. Link to a mod to fix it and also a detailed explanation, but the gist of it is apparently the geniuses at work somehow managed to not catch a massive bug with Eco Lifestyle where NAPs voted for by NPCs anywhere in the world, in any neighborhood, get applied to NPC behavior everywhere. That's such a huge bug it seriously makes me wonder what the hell their QA department does if it even exists.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Ruflux posted:

Actually, don't bother. It's a Maxis gently caress-up. Link to a mod to fix it and also a detailed explanation, but the gist of it is apparently the geniuses at work somehow managed to not catch a massive bug with Eco Lifestyle where NAPs voted for by NPCs anywhere in the world, in any neighborhood, get applied to NPC behavior everywhere. That's such a huge bug it seriously makes me wonder what the hell their QA department does if it even exists.

I was wondering why sims were suddenly loving facinated with future cubes and modeling clay when before they never even touched the stuff.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ruflux posted:

drat, so that's what's going on in my game, I was noticing loads of small bugs like my sims constantly cooking a new meal if they were hungry instead of getting leftovers, kids dropping actions to use the art table, my teen obsessed with gardening, her parents obsessed with working out, visitors to the lot beelining the instruments etc. I've just sent a sim to uni and she keeps dropping every study action to dance which is pretty realistic on one level but loving annoying as a player. It's basically all from NAPs which explains so much.
That fix can not go in fast enough, thank you for posting it!

edit: so the mod will only stop new NAP actions from spreading and infecting other neighbourhoods, it doesn't fix sims already affected. The NAPs seem to add a very persistent hidden trait to your sim and I can't find where it is in debug menus to get rid of it. My sim in uni still won't use the research machine for more than 5 seconds before cancelling it to do push ups or dance.
At the moment the only way to avoid your sim becoming affected is to never allow a NAP to be enacted that will add a direct action to them. The ones that affect lots seem to be safe but anything that alters your sims behaviour will stay with them even if you repeal the particular NAP.
I've switched off NPC voting in the controls, so at least no new ones will get enacted, but I need to find a way to fix my affected sims.
Great job sims team.

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 12, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sims deciding to cook something when there's a mountain of leftovers seems like it's been a problem before now. Especially if you have a grill.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Dawgstar posted:

Sims deciding to cook something when there's a mountain of leftovers seems like it's been a problem before now. Especially if you have a grill.

in sims 2 this happens all the time. I'm feeling a bit peckish, let me just whip up a little entire turkey dinner

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I gave an npc sim the key to my apartment and they kept letting themselves in and then continuously baking cakes (and leaving ingredients everywhere.)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, cooking instead of getting leftovers seems to be a separate bug as after doing a bit of testing in my game they'll auto grab leftovers from counters or other surfaces, they just won't grab them from the fridge.
Also the action caused by the foodies NAP seems to make sims cook endless white cakes unless another NAP action interrupts them and they abandon it to do push ups or something else instead. People are reporting houses overflowing with cakes yet their sims are starving because they won't eat a full meal without getting interrupted to work out or garden or play with clay.
The bug reports on EA's site are getting hilarious with all this going on.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

My sims are not going to school or work, but they are staring at a pet frog for hours now.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I’m getting the food bug too. When you have lots of alternative, high calorie food sources like the ice cream or popcorn makers, sims always tended to go for those if somebody else was at the fridge, but now it’s always that first, then maybe quick meals before ready food in the fridge for autonomy pushes. Really annoying.

My sims also refuse to use the dishwasher at all now. First I thought it was an issue with the CC kitchen pack dishwasher but nope, turns out it’s all of them. Maxis didn’t even update them to add in the resource consumption or eco footprint stuff nor did they include them in any of the new houses so chances are they forgot they even exist.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Zaffy posted:

My sims are not going to school or work, but they are staring at a pet frog for hours now.

Hypnotoad?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've been trying to fix my game from the issues caused by the NAP actions overriding and cancelling out queued actions.
I found the 2 NAP traits that had been added to my sim and removed them but that unfortunately didn't stop my sim stopping eating or studying or showering to do pushups/dance/pull a guitar out of her arse, as there were hidden buffs pushing those actions and making them the most desirable actions.
Luckily today I found a mod that stops those actions dead in their tracks and now my sim is back to normal, she can finish a meal, piss in peace and write a term paper as she should. Thank gently caress.

No civic policy Instrument/Workout https://www.patreon.com/posts/no-civic-policy-38090645

No Civic Policy Clay/Cube https://www.patreon.com/posts/no-civic-policy-38087684

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I wish. At least that would make sense. Just an Eggplant Whirl Toad.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I've been down on Sims 4 and Maxis lately so here's some positivity: I like that we finally have a Sims game with working pathfinding and placing furniture with moveobjects no longer breaks everything. In fact it doesn't really even matter if you stop following the grid altogether because sims will still generally work around that now. Friggin' finally. Sure, it does result in ugly and unsightly clipping everywhere (not a fan, esp when it causes incredibly odd behavior like sims literally phasing through walls or similar) but it's still better than Sims 2's gently caress you routing and 3's less gently caress you but still mostly gently caress you routing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I've finally been starting to feel the itch again after dropping off sometime around the early expansion packs. It's actually kinda nice that they seem to have kept up with the free patches, even if it was probably too late to win back people.

Is there a suggested list of mods that are interesting? Has the general modding/fan content situation improved since the early days, last time I checked it was a wild west of separate Tumblr blogs when modthesims.com turned into a ghost town because of drama.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If my browsing of the gallery indicates anything, you still need to go around 50 different websites to download stuff. And now good amount of those sites have patreons and paywall their content!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm having fun catching up on all the expansions I slept through lol

I'm gonna send my sims' kid to college for Biology, then have him go live on an off-the-grid property in Sulani to be a work from home botanist with a bunch of the new Eco Life toys.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

mycot posted:

I've finally been starting to feel the itch again after dropping off sometime around the early expansion packs. It's actually kinda nice that they seem to have kept up with the free patches, even if it was probably too late to win back people.

Is there a suggested list of mods that are interesting? Has the general modding/fan content situation improved since the early days, last time I checked it was a wild west of separate Tumblr blogs when modthesims.com turned into a ghost town because of drama.

I think everyone agrees that Deaderpool's Mc Command Center is pretty much *the* mod to have. After that its all flavor and clothing mods. I like Maxis Match as a hair and clothing aggregator since I don't like the overly processed look some people go for.

oh and Wicked Whims if your boat floats that way. It still cracks me up that there is a basket decoration called "Wicker whims"

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Roburky's Meaningful Stories is a good overhaul of the emotion system. Sims no longer just change moods at the drop of a hat and emotions have more weight.

Combined with Personality Please, which makes sims more likely to autonomously act based on their mood (yell and be an rear end in a top hat if angry, flirt if flirty, cry in a corner if sad, etc...) and together they give npc sims a hell of a lot more life.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 16, 2020

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Oh hey EA let this come out on Steam with a sale to boot.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This would have been great for me 5 years ago.

Well, maybe it'll bring trap some new schmucks into sleepless nights.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

oh jay posted:

This would have been great for me 5 years ago.

Well, maybe it'll bring trap some new schmucks into sleepless nights.

Amazed they'd open themselves up for review bombing. A cohesive workshop would be great on steam but that is never going to happen.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Now that this is on steam and on sale I think I'd like to pick it up since I had so much fun with 2 back in the day. Obviously i'm not spending literally $500+ on the discounted DLC, though. If I were to pick up 2-3 DLC, what would you guys recommend as far as adding the best stuff?

And is modding basically picking out outfits and models I want to add to the game, or are there must-have gameplay mods as well?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Seasons and whatever other two strike your fancy. I like City Living and Cats & Dogs.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seasons and whatever other two strike your fancy. I like City Living and Cats & Dogs.

I'm gonna vouch for City Living, but I think if I had to pick exactly one other then I'd prioritize either Get To Work or Discover University over the pets.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think the thread consensus is that Get Together, Seasons, and Parenthood are the must-haves, and then the rest you can decide yourself based on how interested you personally are in the subject of each. I don’t think there are any that are regarded as bad, although I haven’t played the last few expansions/game packs myself.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

buglord posted:

Went to a physical therapist for the optimistic whiplash I got with that Paralives drama. Airing out everything in public is a horrible look and I have almost zero hope for the game now lol.

I must've missed this, but what was going on in the paralives circle?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Bramble posted:

Now that this is on steam and on sale I think I'd like to pick it up since I had so much fun with 2 back in the day. Obviously i'm not spending literally $500+ on the discounted DLC, though. If I were to pick up 2-3 DLC, what would you guys recommend as far as adding the best stuff?

And is modding basically picking out outfits and models I want to add to the game, or are there must-have gameplay mods as well?

from up thread a little bit

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I think everyone agrees that Deaderpool's Mc Command Center is pretty much *the* mod to have. After that its all flavor and clothing mods. I like Maxis Match as a hair and clothing aggregator since I don't like the overly processed look some people go for.

oh and Wicked Whims if your boat floats that way. It still cracks me up that there is a basket decoration called "Wicker whims"

To expand a little bit, Mc Command center makes the sims world live and breath. w/out it everyone just kind of ...dies out. Plus there are all sorts of other powerful tools to help with customization.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Anyone have more funny game anecdotes to share? i miss the random scenarios people used to come up with and show us screencaps of their playthroughs; i know that's passe in this post-LP world but i figure it couldnt hurt to ask

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sweeperbravo posted:

Anyone have more funny game anecdotes to share? i miss the random scenarios people used to come up with and show us screencaps of their playthroughs; i know that's passe in this post-LP world but i figure it couldnt hurt to ask

I wouldn't say it's passe - I love to spam the Rimworld thread with my stories and I don't want to make an LP.

I'd contribute here but I'm burnt out on Sims.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sims4 sims very rarely do weird stuff or show much of a personality. It's the biggest flaw the game has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

frankly I think sims 4 is just not very good and people should focus their efforts on cracking sims 3 open and fixing it instead