Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Hello Gunpla thread. I picked up a HG RX-93 on a whim, watched some YT videos, and tried to emulate them. Please excuse the scribing that looks like the work of a torturer in the Gundam Inquisition. Hopefully the color will pop a bit more once I topcoat it.

I really dig the matte finish on all those. Maybe its just that im used to glossy finishes on everything, but that effect looks badass.
I'm not seeing any dodgy scribing either, so well done.

Edit: new page heart attack, have my two astaroths. I managed to respray the feet and chest on the left one but now i have to thin down the panel lining and redo the sprayed parts

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grassy gnoll posted:

To my tremendous surprised, HLJ shipped out my fancy Eva-00 this morning. Maybe they either wised up after the 01 launch, or Bandai just made a hell of a lot more of the things. Anyway, there's a data point in case something else gets fucky this time.

I've got one on order with Gundam Planet, it may be coming over on the same boat.

The high end Eva kits just became a hell of anticipation. I've started airbrushing and goddamn is even an HG kit a lot of extra work. One of the high-end Eva kits is going to take forever and needs to be perfect.

I just had to start with the White Giant. Not perfect, but better than bare plastic.

The legs are basecoated and I have a 4-day weekend. I suspect they're going to come out better than the arms did. That square shoulder was tricky to lay down even layers of paint on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I always refer to glossy finished figures as candy-coated

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mllaneza posted:

The high end Eva kits just became a hell of anticipation. I've started airbrushing and goddamn is even an HG kit a lot of extra work. One of the high-end Eva kits is going to take forever and needs to be perfect.

I feel you on that one. Thanks to all those interlocking, moving, tiny parts it always takes me way longer to paint a Gundam than it does a scale model or minis.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I just finished my first gunpla :woop:

I'm pretty awful at this, I can't pose it worth a drat, and I hate everything about stickers. Fun to make and weirdly satisfying though. Now someone please explain why my shopping cart suddenly has a bunch of gundam markers, new nippers, and two more kits in it.

All this because I made the mistake of watching Build Fighters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sykic posted:

Yes... YESSS There is no escape for you now... :unsmigghh:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I either need to craft or buy some kind of small vise because it’s the only way I’ll ever put stickers on my built kits. I got a cool pair of tweezers and a little pointy metal stick, but they don’t mean poo poo when you’re shoving a RG part across a table with your breath.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sykic posted:

I'm pretty awful at this, I can't pose it worth a drat, and I hate everything about stickers. Fun to make and weirdly satisfying though. Now someone please explain why my shopping cart suddenly has a bunch of gundam markers, new nippers, and two more kits in it.

One of us, one of us...

I picked up a few kits growing up because of Gundam Wing on toonami but nothing caused my gunpla backlog to spiral out of control like Build Fighters did. So many awesome mobile suits.

Hold a funeral for your wallet and make peace with it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Magic posted:

I either need to craft or buy some kind of small vise because it’s the only way I’ll ever put stickers on my built kits. I got a cool pair of tweezers and a little pointy metal stick, but they don’t mean poo poo when you’re shoving a RG part across a table with your breath.

Would a hemostat or Kelly forceps work for this? I always wondered if they'd squash the plastic or if they were available in lighter clamp forces

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A little blob of blue tack and a pair of tweezers can also amplify holding power, and you can stick the tweezer handle in a binder clip, helping hands, or other stronger grip if you’re worried about damage and those are the tool you have at hand.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Sykic posted:

Sandrock came out good in the end, and your kits are gonna look boring for a while until you get into the builds a bit more.
I'm glad you're having fun though, this is payback for getting me back into 40k in 2011.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The recent Sandrock is a legit solid HG, I really enjoyed how simple and cool is was. You can pose it well and I like how the blades are interchangeable.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Midjack posted:

A little blob of blue tack and a pair of tweezers can also amplify holding power, and you can stick the tweezer handle in a binder clip, helping hands, or other stronger grip if you’re worried about damage and those are the tool you have at hand.

Do you mean like popping the piece on top of some blue tack? That makes sense; luckily all my teaching stuff is at home with me so I can try it out.

Also I like the binder clip idea but that’s for holding the tweezers closed, right? I’ve got a cool pair of sticker-specific tweezers that stay closed by themselves and you squeeze them to open.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I use an alligator clip for holding small pieces, but blue tack sounds useful too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Do you mean like popping the piece on top of some blue tack? That makes sense; luckily all my teaching stuff is at home with me so I can try it out.

Also I like the binder clip idea but that’s for holding the tweezers closed, right? I’ve got a cool pair of sticker-specific tweezers that stay closed by themselves and you squeeze them to open.

Yup, stick the piece on blue tack and grab the blue tack with fingers or tweezers, whichever works best for what you’re doing. If you need two hands free, stick the hinge end of the tweezers in a binder clip and it will stand up on your table. You may have to experiment with different orientations and sizes of clip to find one that will hold the tweezers without pinching the blue tack out of the tweezer jaws, and I usually use a helping hands to hold the tweezers when I’m doing that. I’ve done the binder clips a few times and it’s okay but I have to stabilize the clip with some books or tape it down or something.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Azubah posted:

The recent Sandrock is a legit solid HG, I really enjoyed how simple and cool is was. You can pose it well and I like how the blades are interchangeable.

I just built it too, and it was really fun.

I skipped the bad stickers on the shoulders and just used a sharpie to color the raised circle bits black instead.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I just built it too, and it was really fun.

I skipped the bad stickers on the shoulders and just used a sharpie to color the raised circle bits black instead.

If you wanna see a HG that's really amazing get the Moon Gundam.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

Blue tack is super handy, but I used to to affix pieces to sticks for painting, and that lasted about a day before I broke down and ordered 50 alligator clips for :10bux: They hold a grip surprisingly well on the barest hint of a protrusion.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sykic posted:

Honestly that's a decent enough pose. There's a handy link with tips on making poses look more visually dynamic and pleasing but I don't have it. And if all else fails, just steal a pose from the box/manual.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Blue tack is super handy, but I used to to affix pieces to sticks for painting, and that lasted about a day before I broke down and ordered 50 alligator clips for :10bux: They hold a grip surprisingly well on the barest hint of a protrusion.

I use either. Clips are my go-to for painting but there are some parts where gator clips just don’t work.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

For dropping parts and having them get away from me I always work over the bottom of the box the kit came in so if I drop something it can't go anywhere and put the parts I'm not currently working on in the top

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

It's kind of funny, but I was speaking to my therapist earlier and mentioned that I'd taken this up as a hobby again after 25 years, and he pointed out that given how I spend my time on this activity, it would most certainly count as a mindfulness exercise; something I've sorely needed for a long time, and I've only ever really otherwise achieved while plinking away on guitar or drums.

So it turns out that I'm now doing this as much as a hobby as it is therapy, in a weird way. It's been a great way for me to just set aside a few hours here and there to just zone out, put some music or Netflix on in the background, and assemble plastic robots.

Expensive as poo poo way to chill out, but worth it.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any good ideas for displaying models? I have 30+ HG and RG models, with a whole lot more coming, and only a small table to sit them on.

I was thinking of making some risers out of aluminium channel or wood or something, but wondering if theres a better way to do it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mephiston posted:

It's kind of funny, but I was speaking to my therapist earlier and mentioned that I'd taken this up as a hobby again after 25 years, and he pointed out that given how I spend my time on this activity, it would most certainly count as a mindfulness exercise; something I've sorely needed for a long time, and I've only ever really otherwise achieved while plinking away on guitar or drums.

So it turns out that I'm now doing this as much as a hobby as it is therapy, in a weird way. It's been a great way for me to just set aside a few hours here and there to just zone out, put some music or Netflix on in the background, and assemble plastic robots.

Expensive as poo poo way to chill out, but worth it.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any good ideas for displaying models? I have 30+ HG and RG models, with a whole lot more coming, and only a small table to sit them on.

I was thinking of making some risers out of aluminium channel or wood or something, but wondering if theres a better way to do it.

Not sure what your living arrangement is like, but some simple wooden wall-mounted shelves would be a cheap and effective solution.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/BluefinBrands/status/1274149100930232322?s=20

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mephiston posted:

This is truth. It's a very Mindfulness-y hobby. As a bonus there's that delicious 3d tactile thing your brain does while working out how pieces fit together.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I'm really eyeing this Sakura Wars preorder, but it's so expensively cheap.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Huh.. I've never thought of gunpla as therapeutic before. I mean, it is relaxing (up until you drop that tiny piece on the carpet..) and the feeling of satisfaction from completing a kit is pretty nice.. poo poo, should I start bringing my MGs out in public and calling them my therapy gundams? Maybe if I start advertising my Monday night builders meetup as a therapy session we can claim the business as an essential service and reopen finally.. :hmmyes:

Mephiston posted:

Hahaha I wish. All of my poo poo is crammed together in whatever space I can make for them. I got some cheap wire racks and clear plastic containers from Daiso to make risers, and I have a couple of small wall-mounted shelves, but other than that my displays are pretty haphazard. Which I guess is okay since I'm the only one that really looks at them..

Unrelated, I almost didn't get my latest Newtype order because they shipped it Fedex instead of USPS this time, and Fedex is notorious for not even attempting deliveries to my building because none of their drivers can seem to figure out the intercom. Thankfully I got a good driver on the final attempt who actually read my delivery instructions.. :sigh:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Bluefin just announced new stuff coming soon. Plutone HG, Barbatos MG expansion, RG Nu expansions, and Sandrock MG custom. They also hinted t hat the F90 expansion might be available as well.

I know some folks here can't buy from them, but it's cool that its possible to officially get these without a nasty mark up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

While I am kinda ashamed at using Amazon as a Gunpla source, it did lead me to be able to make a seller recommendation.

Smile&fun Japan - Amazon Marketplace

I ordered a kit that ended up being sourced by these people back on March 25. it took so long getting across the Pacific that Amazon sent me an automated message that I was up for a refund. I messaged them and ended up agreeing that under present circumstances we should give it another month. Still no package. I got my refund a week and a half ago. The package arrived today. I messaged them about payment and they said to keep it.

So if you have a chance, throw some business Smile&fun Japan's way.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I just finished my first MG. There are some mistakes I made but I learned a lot and I’m really happy with the results. I absolutely hate dry transfers now. Next time I make a kit with a bunch, I’m just gonna get some third party water slides. Dry transfer is too unforgiving.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I mean, sorry if I told this story before, but I've found gunpla therapeutic for so long that when a close friend of mine died when I was in my late teens, my BFF surprised me at lunch the next day with a Wing kit and a bag of tacos :unsmith: So even in like 2001, my friends knew giving me something to build (and crappy fast food) was a good way to distract me from grieving for a bit.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

When I got into this hobby it was a pretty dark time for me, super stressed out from work and even some suicidal thoughts. Building my first High Grades was therapeutic as gently caress, really helped me keep my mind off the dark stuff and get through that time until I was able to quit and move out of town.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Even as recently as last week I was processing some hard emotional stuff and spent nearly all my free time clipping away at two three five seven kits as I progressively worked it out. Now they’re all organized in appropriate bags, and so is my baggage.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
That's pretty cool that so many people find the hobby therapeutic. Usually when I'm depressed I'm too sadbrains to actually work on anything. :sigh:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I mean, sorry if I told this story before, but I've found gunpla therapeutic for so long that when a close friend of mine died when I was in my late teens, my BFF surprised me at lunch the next day with a Wing kit and a bag of tacos :unsmith: So even in like 2001, my friends knew giving me something to build (and crappy fast food) was a good way to distract me from grieving for a bit.

..and that's a drat good friend. People have bought me gunpla or tacos, but never both at the same time.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Gunpla makes the voices quiet. You know I'm being serious and you all know exactly what I mean.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

d3lness posted:

Gunpla makes the voices quiet. You know I'm being serious and you all know exactly what I mean.

Bah, and here I was hoping it would unchain me from gravity.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I started Gunpla around the same time I started a higher stress (but higher paying) job, which was more coincidental, but very helpful. I took a kit to work on to my sister's wedding to help deal with my social anxiety and family drama. And sometimes I feel it helped keep me sane while I worked through my gender dysphoria. So hell yeah, it's therapeutic. (Except for applying water slides; that poo poo is stressful as gently caress.)

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Yeah, I only realized how calming and building a kit was when my coworker bought me a mini lego kit from MiniSo. It was just a little present she bought me during a lunch break, but drat, I just felt all of my stress melt away when I built it during my lunch break.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm not sure I'd say it makes the voices quiet.. but maybe just a little less loud. As far as gender dysphoria... well, the tiny plastic robots had nothing to do with that either way, but right around the time I started building again was also when I started crossplaying soooo..

Personally, I find the most therapeutic part to be helping others with their builds. Like, I'm not an expert or anything but I do own more than one pair of snips and I've gotten pretty good at figuring out when you've put a piece on backwards, even if I've never seen your particular kit before.

I actually had a little bit of gunpla trauma the other night. Had a dream where I was showing some friends(?) a few of my builds, and someone I used to be friends with totally wrecked my HG Nadleeh. I don't know how, or why that particular kit, or why someone I haven't talked to in ten years was in this dream or if he even meant to do it, but what the gently caress.

Anyway, so this isn't just one big e/n post, here's the Zaku I was working on earlier while trying not to think about something stupid I said the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

More Quarantine Builds!

No. 6: RG Evangelion Unit-01 Test Type

Forgot to take any pictures before I put it in it's final pose. But this build was very different, felt very organic for a giant robot. Funny to see a RG kit that entirely abandoned the Advanced MS Joints or whatever they're called, instead of pre-moulded joints it instead has a few parts moulded in multiple colours. Seems like a good alternate route to take for RG's if the line needs to keep with the double moulded parts (or whatever you would call them) as recent kits have very few of them. Surprised that it can't seem to attach to a base at all, there is no base adaptor and no holes to plug into (well, maybe the hole where you would plug the fuel-pump-thing into, but I haven't tried it).

My non-Gunpla shelf now looks decidedly less cute.

No. 7: RG Force Impulse Gundam

I built the MG version of this kit back in January, mostly brought it because of how loving stupid the "transformation" looked. When I saw that a RG version had been released I couldn't resist, especially to see the difference in engineering from the 12 years between the kits.

Quick look at the final kit (with no stickers) before I get into the comparisons:

Core Splendor:

Nice little jet, even comes with landing gear like MG version. Uses one of the only two Advanced MS Joints, essentially the whole thing is built on a 'frame' of the one piece that allows the nose and cockpit to fold over so it docks into the Gundam.

The RG has an overall darker colour tone than the MG. The RG holds up well detail-wise, though the MG has some grey on the non-moving parts of the wings. Also the MG has a seated pilot figure. MG version requires a base adaptor while the RG version just has a 3mm hole.

Chest Flyer(?!):

This dumb thing. Uses the second Advanced MS Joint to allow for some ab-crunch, but it articulates from the front of the chest rather than the back (since the chest doesn't actually have a back.

Compared to the MG this is really impressive, I feel that it has a lot more detail and the articulation is way better (especially the part that allows the shoulders to come out at 90°, I felt like I was going to break something on the MG). Again, the colours are darker, apart from the vents on the shoulders, on the MG it's a light purple and on the RG it's a baby blue.
Both use a similar base adaptor.

Leg Flyer (?!?):

Not much to say about this, apart from being a flying pair of pants. The, uh, 'transformation' is easy, it's just bending the knees in a weird way and folding the front of the feet down. Don't really like the base adaptor, just kinda big and ugly, there is another hole on the 'bottom' of the adaptor that I noticed after taking these shots, but it doesn't fix the thing being big and ugly.

Again not much to say here, just some differences in the details and the RG has more of the inner frame poking through. The MG does have some sweet pointed feet that the RG doesn't have though.

Silhouette Flyer:

Not much to say here, going to save my thoughts for the comparison.

Going to give the RG the advantage in terms of details. The obvious difference is that the MG has black wings while the RG has grey, however the painting instructions say to paint all except the front of the wings grey, so I'm leaning to giving the RG the win for colour accuracy. The engine on the MG is able to articulate, the RG's doesn't. Not pictured, but the MG has removable landing gear while the RG doesn't.

Details feel largely the same on the Force Silhouette, however the articulation is completely different between the two. The MG's wings are able to articulate up and down, with a bend in the middle, while the RG's can bend backwards with no articulation in the upper wings at all. The RG does have some little rocket engines that you can pull out on the grey bits that connect the lower wings.
Also, colour differences again, the RG uses a much deeper black.

Force Impulse Gundam:

Tried to recreate the pose I had the MG in, but the RG doesn't have the big-honking-sword.

The dumbest display I could make with the two kits.

And just for the hell of it, my whole collection so far:

The MG Hi-Nu Gundam is going to move over to the rest of the collection once I've gotten around to decaling and top-coating. The second picture is supposed to be non-Gundam kits, but I've just put the Hi-Nu out of the way and the Jesta is testing out a 3D printed wall mount, but I might start wall mounting Gundam kits over here. Starting to run out of space on the main display.