Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Toshimo posted:

MitM has aged very poorly in a lot of respects, yeah.

Having Chris Benoit in their intro was a sign, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Baby Driver is now twice as difficult to watch as it was in 2017.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Do the Dutch still do zwarte piet?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes, despite everybody else telling them how racist it is, they still did it last year.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zaroff posted:

Aside from certain channels refusing to stop showing it, and following on the HIMYM bandwagon, what about the other Chuck Lorre monstrosities - Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory?

Big Bang Theory no, that one's gonna have a long-lasting footprint. But Two and a Half Men, absolutely. That last season just sucked all the goodwill about it away.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

who else but Spacey? it isn't Ansel is it?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mister No posted:

It's Ansel.

Sorry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Drive over Kevin Spacey twice and send Ansel to jail. Baby Driver was prescient.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mister No posted:

Sexually assaulted a a 17 year old he was 20. According to her account she cried and said she didn’t want to and he said they needed to break her in.

You know, Hollywood stuff

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Baby Driver is maybe the best action movie to come out in the last twenty years but BOY is it hard to watch Kevin Spacey "act" as a megalomaniac in a position of power over a teenage boy.

And now the lead actor, too. :sigh:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My parents were watching The Ranch and when Danny Masterson's character just mysteriously died off screen they had no idea about the real life situation that happened, but I think that flew under the radar more than usual for whatever reason.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Whybird posted:

Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Two series that were huge and iconic in the UK, ended around the same time as Lost, and then vanished completely.

This is mostly because (for Ashes to Ashes at least) the producers cheaper out and didn't secure music rights for international distribution.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Barney deserves the bulk of scorn in HIMYM, but I'll be goddamned if Ted isn't a loving emotional vampire. Dude is so unbelievably picky with women and then feels sorry for himself for being alone. He has a respected high paying job, a cool apartment, and close friends but he spends most of the show whining to them about how hard his life is. And the show always tries to portray his behavior as romantic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Malcom in the Middle if anything may be ahead of its time, when you consider it's specifically about an abusive family and the effects the abuse has on every one of the brothers.

In general, the comedies that don't try to pretend the characters are good people age better.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
marshall rules, everyone else drools

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Malcom in the Middle if anything may be ahead of its time, when you consider it's specifically about an abusive family and the effects the abuse has on every one of the brothers.

In general, the comedies that don't try to pretend the characters are good people age better.

At the end, don't two of the sons actually derive significant joy from having severed from their mother entirely and avoiding any attempts she makes to contact them?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

grittyreboot posted:

Barney deserves the bulk of scorn in HIMYM, but I'll be goddamned if Ted isn't a loving emotional vampire. Dude is so unbelievably picky with women and then feels sorry for himself for being alone. He has a respected high paying job, a cool apartment, and close friends but he spends most of the show whining to them about how hard his life is. And the show always tries to portray his behavior as romantic.

Honestly the show was always at its best when it was dunking on Ted.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Can I assume those would be Francis and a later in life Dewey? Malcolm's too weak and Reese seems too dependent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's quite a lot of layers to it, really. IIRC, the parents are implied to have a pretty toxic, co-dependent relationship, and the dad goes completely out of control whenever the mom's out of town.

I remember reading what I think might have been a novelisation of an episode, or a tie-in book, which spelled out the dynamics even more clearly, including the oldest son having been treated as a scapegoat before being sent to military school.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when Novelisations elaborate on characters, like the Muppets movie with Amy Adams. It has a villain who instead of actually laughing evilly he just says the words "Maniacal laugh" in a monotone, and at the end of the movie something happens to jar his body in such a way he actually starts laughing for real - the book explains that he had a physiological condition that meant his body could never actually laugh which is why he was such an rear end in a top hat, the jar in the movie fixed him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC there's a cut song from the movie that would spell that out. Novelisations are often based on early scripts and/or incorporate content cut from the end product.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mister No posted:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Baby Driver is maybe the best action movie to come out in the last twenty years but BOY is it hard to watch Kevin Spacey "act" as a megalomaniac in a position of power over a teenage boy.

And now the lead actor, too. :sigh:

You night want to watch a movie called Fury Road...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thranguy posted:

This is mostly because (for Ashes to Ashes at least) the producers cheaper out and didn't secure music rights for international distribution.

It's also because Ashes to Ashes was poo poo. Ashley Pharoah had even explained while making Life on Mars why the show wouldn't work if it was set later in time.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DontMockMySmock posted:

Baby Driver is maybe the best action movie to come out in the last twenty years

The list of things wrong with it is very long, the plus side is very short. In fact, with the exception of the opening chase, this is maybe my all-time “film I should technically have liked, but ended up hating”.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Torquemada posted:

The list of things wrong with it is very long, the plus side is very short. In fact, with the exception of the opening chase, this is maybe my all-time “film I should technically have liked, but ended up hating”.

"But it plays lots of music that I enjoyed as a kid, so it must also have a great plot, characters and sense of drama and not simply be a series of lacklustre car chases loosely tied into a paper-thin plot with cardboard cut-out characters"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

You night want to watch a movie called Fury Road...

The amazing thing about that movie for me is that it is NEVER a bad choice to watch no matter the mood.

It doesn't drag ever. It tells its story in a really digestible manner though with lots of small details should you pay attention and it sets a mood that you just can't help but get swept up in.

I honestly can't think of a single fault with Fury Road or a way it can age badly save the actual apocalypse happening.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fury Road had a legitimate shot at Best Picture, Best Director, and Cinematography; The Revenant won those and hasn't been heard from since. Theron should at least have been nominated for Best Actress. Still, the fact that it was in the discussion at all is amazing for a goddamn Mad Max movie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jedit posted:

It's also because Ashes to Ashes was poo poo.

The ending was especially bad, but the whole show seemed to be designed to ruin its own premise.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I honestly can't think of a single fault with Fury Road or a way it can age badly save the actual apocalypse happening.

I got some bad news about the apocalypse.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The ending was especially bad, but the whole show seemed to be designed to ruin its own premise.

Was that when they explicitly spelled out what was going on with the time travel?

Because Life on Mars was amazing and didn't feel the need to start giving reasons about things it was about the characters and the culture clash and is a better story for it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

Was that when they explicitly spelled out what was going on with the time travel?

Because Life on Mars was amazing and didn't feel the need to start giving reasons about things it was about the characters and the culture clash and is a better story for it.

And guess what the answer was! loving purgatory

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

and it was for only for cops who went down in the line of duty or some bullshit because they were such special and important human beings

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think it's best to just watch LOM and skip ATA althougher, because they reconned the LOM universe to allow them to make ATA and it's a much paler version.

also, the plots are poo poo, the characters become parodies of themselves, the main actor can't act as well, the period setting is less authentic and the music is worse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

grittyreboot posted:

I got some bad news about the apocalypse.

Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Baby Driver made me hate Edgar Wright and made me realize that without Simon Pegg he is a disastrous storyteller. Also, what kind of dumb gently caress do you have to be to see Ansel Elgort and say "yeah he should star in my movie" when you got people like John Boyega right there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I was going to argue that with Scott Pilgrim but I forgot Pegg was involved there.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mokinokaro posted:

The amazing thing about that movie for me is that it is NEVER a bad choice to watch no matter the mood.

It doesn't drag ever. It tells its story in a really digestible manner though with lots of small details should you pay attention and it sets a mood that you just can't help but get swept up in.

Agreed. I also feel the same way about Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Fury Road had a legitimate shot at Best Picture, Best Director, and Cinematography; The Revenant won those and hasn't been heard from since. Theron should at least have been nominated for Best Actress. Still, the fact that it was in the discussion at all is amazing for a goddamn Mad Max movie.

The Revenant looks amazing and everybody is acting their asses off, but the story is so cliched and bland.