Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Change his name to Captain Stolen Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

Game is furiously being reworked to feature this guy as a key villain.

that's actually kind of a dope costume

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowman_McK posted:

that's actually kind of a dope costume

Ditko was no slouch in the character design department.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I would have respected them more if the next tweet doubled down and called Hulk a looter or something.

Lest we forget, MCU Hulk canonically killed a bystander indirectly in the first Avengers movie, as shown in Civil War.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

Ditko was no slouch in the character design department.

the rigid upper face mask and the cloth mask over the mouth kind of reminds me of Persian Cataphratarii, which more costumes should be similar to.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Heroes Park in the DCEU is the memorial to everyone killed in the Black Zero event.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPjF9sJcj4A

DARKSEID

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I'm super hype for this. I feel like even if I hated Man of Steel/etc. I'd still be super hype for this just because it's such an unprecedented situation for a $$$ studio movie.

Also very curious to see what's there in place of the entire Russian family subplot since Snyder seemed to have zero knowledge of that entire situation.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm super hype for this. I feel like even if I hated Man of Steel/etc. I'd still be super hype for this just because it's such an unprecedented situation for a $$$ studio movie.

Also very curious to see what's there in place of the entire Russian family subplot since Snyder seemed to have zero knowledge of that entire situation.

all the cyborg stuff that got cut

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Brother Entropy posted:

all the cyborg stuff that got cut

genuinely amazed that whedon and wb didn't get more poo poo for cutting out the black characters (mostly cyborg, his parents, and iris west).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

It's hardly an unprecedented situation. There's also the Donner cut of Superman II and the Schrader and Harlin versions of the Exorcist prequel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gonna go ahead and guess that Donner didn't get an additional $30 million to make some basic editing changes. Blade Runner: The Final Cut is probably the closest equivalent because Scott had a bit of a budget to go back and reshoot a couple of scenes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Donner's level of involvement in the so-called Donner Cut is very much an open question, also.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, the Donner cut was announced as being assembled by a friend of Donner's and shortly before release WB said "actually he's been helping out the whole time!" Which is pretty debatable if you go by the commentary because Donner keeps saying it's so nice that the editor added X or Y in and occasionally questions if he directed a shot or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess that Donner didn't get an additional $30 million to make some basic editing changes.

Well, perhaps. But you definitely can't say the same thing about Exorcist: Dominion because Schrader literally made the entire movie before Harlin was brought on board to make it again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost Blue posted:

Yeah, the Donner cut was announced as being assembled by a friend of Donner's and shortly before release WB said "actually he's been helping out the whole time!" Which is pretty debatable if you go by the commentary because Donner keeps saying it's so nice that the editor added X or Y in and occasionally questions if he directed a shot or not.

Not even a friend, Michael Thau was basically a Donner groupie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's hardly an unprecedented situation. There's also the Donner cut of Superman II and the Schrader and Harlin versions of the Exorcist prequel.

As others pointed out, I wouldn't really count the "Donner" cut of Superman II in this.

Dominion/The Beginning probably is honestly even more unprecedented to me because the entire movie was shot, then they filmed an entirely different movie with a different director and re-cast a few major roles in it. Only very small amount of content (I believe just the flashback) is in both versions in the same overall form even if the sequence of events of when the flashback bits happen is different.

I really do think Justice League (and Dominion/The Beginning) are it in this regard. Like Blade Runner is still the same movie with mostly the same footage and story even with its additions and some re-shot scenes.

Justice League really stands out to me as unique because of how tightly leashed massive budget movies tend to be. There's plenty of lovely big budget movies, but the extent to which the final released Justice League differs from an original cut of the movie that was made is nuts to me. And that instead of WB proudly embracing a like "here is the director's real vision" sort of thing it being an HBO special, their weird distancing from it earlier about how he was allowed to work on it but with his own money, etc. Budget wise I feel it's a totally different ballgame from Dominion/The Beginning, with Justice League being a $300 million flick and the former having a budget of like $80 million.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder what happens if the Snyder cut gets lots of praise and is good. Do they treat that as the real Justice League movie for the muderverse or go with the theatrical?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The other example I can think of is The Thief and the Cobbler, which isn't as big-budget but is an even weirder situation. The "Recobbled Cut" put together by a former goon (in an incredibly entertaining egotistical meltdown) isn't official, but it's as close to a definitive version as is possible and is wildly different than the released cut, which got ripped off by Aladdin before it was actually released. He didn't have a budget to do his work, but he tracked down a ton of original animators and secured original and unfinished elements from dozens of different sources. He even (amateurly) finished or stitched together sequences himself.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

feedmyleg posted:

The "Recobbled Cut" put together by a former goon (in an incredibly entertaining egotistical meltdown)

Hey, I remember that! I lost sight of it, what was the meltdown like?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I wonder what happens if the Snyder cut gets lots of praise and is good. Do they treat that as the real Justice League movie for the muderverse or go with the theatrical?

I will always laugh that they got the murderverse name just because the characters aren't cracking a quip as they kill people. And then the absolutely hilariously low body count the Avengers 1 battle was given in Civil War despite it involving massive dragon spaceships flying through skyscrapers in Midtown.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Hey, I remember that! I lost sight of it, what was the meltdown like?

I'd imagine the old thread which covered a lot of it is still around in the archives, but I followed the project from here to another board that centered around fan restorations so I got to see the meltdown from beginning to end. It's been ages, but I believe the crux of it was that he put so much time, effort, and energy into putting the cut together that he considered it "his" film and reacted incredibly poorly to any criticism or questioning of his many questionable choices and didn't give anyone else access to the new elements he'd uncovered. He understandably became incredibly protective of the project, but started taking it too far where he was adding in new elements because he thought he understood the director's vision better than anyone else, then got a ton of poo poo for those decisions. I think he also tried to monetize it at one point, but I might be misremembering that one. Eventually he just took his toys and left so that nobody else could play with them. The whole thing is somewhat understandable, but at the time it felt like he was was a whiny baby with how he went about it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacebump posted:

Both can co-exist, unless there's some canon-altering in ZSJL that makes it incompatible, like the Flash loses an arm battling Steppenwolf or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

Both can co-exist, unless there's some canon-altering in ZSJL that makes it incompatible, like the Flash loses an arm battling Steppenwolf or something.

Canon altering for the future is a good question. In the minutia, we know Steppenwolf has been removed from Earth's history in favor of young Darkseid himself

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

I will always laugh that they got the murderverse name just because the characters aren't cracking a quip as they kill people. And then the absolutely hilariously low body count the Avengers 1 battle was given in Civil War despite it involving massive dragon spaceships flying through skyscrapers in Midtown.

Or Hulk rampaging through and fighting Iron Man in a densely populated city in Africa in Age of Ultron. Or the city that fell out of the sky on one of their missions that somehow managed to only hit Baron Zemo's dad's house when it came down.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Neo Rasa posted:

Yep, no-kill rules have always been about killing "important" people. Goon #2 getting his head bounced off the pavement doesn't count, unless you already don't like the character/movie.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Agent Rush posted:

Yep, no-kill rules have always been about killing "important" people. Goon #2 getting his head bounced off the pavement doesn't count, unless you already don't like the character/movie.

I remember this distinction being made explicit once in a youtube video about a kill count for Iron Man in the MCU lol.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

KVeezy3 posted:

I remember this distinction being made explicit once in a youtube video about a kill count for Iron Man in the MCU lol.

Isn't it weird how nobody calls Iron Man a murderer, even though he totally is? I wonder how he's any different from BvS Batman in that respect.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Civil War was on syfy yesterday and holy crap Tony Stark suuuuckkkks. Even beyond being a rich murderer he is just an emotionally manipulative dickhead to all his colleagues. But at the same time they all basically tip toe around him. Cap spend half the movie with this apologetic look on his face because he feels bad about disagreeing with Tony’s fascism.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Agent Rush posted:

Isn't it weird how nobody calls Iron Man a murderer, even though he totally is? I wonder how he's any different from BvS Batman in that respect.

I think the difference is Batman has a “don’t kill” rule so it’s shocking to see him kill (or a change from the norm)

Iron man and the MCU at large are ultimately “normal” action flicks where they kill so many people, and the only time it matters is when the plot demands it.

I mean ultimately the only difference between older Batman and BvS Batman is BvS uses a gun to kill them. Batman in Nolan’s trilogy just bashes their heads in with other things and that’s “non lethal” despite probably killing dozens still

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

teacup posted:

I think the difference is Batman has a “don’t kill” rule so it’s shocking to see him kill (or a change from the norm)

Iron man and the MCU at large are ultimately “normal” action flicks where they kill so many people, and the only time it matters is when the plot demands it.

I mean ultimately the only difference between older Batman and BvS Batman is BvS uses a gun to kill them. Batman in Nolan’s trilogy just bashes their heads in with other things and that’s “non lethal” despite probably killing dozens still

BVS Batman has also been through way more poo poo than any other live action Batman. His gun usage makes sense in the dark future scene.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Civil War was on syfy yesterday and holy crap Tony Stark suuuuckkkks. Even beyond being a rich murderer he is just an emotionally manipulative dickhead to all his colleagues. But at the same time they all basically tip toe around him. Cap spend half the movie with this apologetic look on his face because he feels bad about disagreeing with Tony’s fascism.

The biggest cop-out in the entire MCU is when Cap wins the fight with Tony and doesn't bring the shield down on his head.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Guy A. Person posted:

LOL, Civil War. There'd been what, a dozen other films where the various Avengers go around killing by the hun...dozens, but nobody cares until Americans Wakandans die.

McSpanky posted:

The biggest cop-out in the entire MCU is when Cap wins the fight with Tony and doesn't bring the shield down on his head.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the whole set-up makes even less sense than it did before. Hawkeye killed innocent people under mind-control and not even he's bothered about it after Avengers, but Bucky doing it is unforgivable? I guess it works to make Tony look like the petty jackass he is, but why doesn't anyone else bring that up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, the whole set-up makes even less sense than it did before. Hawkeye killed innocent people under mind-control and not even he's bothered about it after Avengers, but Bucky doing it is unforgivable? I guess it works to make Tony look like the petty jackass he is, but why doesn't anyone else bring that up?

Tony Stark finds out about his parent's murder directly before the fight starts. He is still a giant rear end in a top hat but "this person murdered my parents" is not really something that puts people in a logical frame of mind.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah tony stark straight up says 'i don't care' when cap starts explaining the mind control situation. it's the bluntest possible way of telling the audience that the character is being irrational, but it turns out that's what audiences want!!!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

ungulateman posted:

yeah tony stark straight up says 'i don't care' when cap starts explaining the mind control situation. it's the bluntest possible way of telling the audience that the character is being irrational, but it turns out that's what audiences want!!!

"I don't care, he killed my mom." Is the unintentionally funniest line in any movie of the past 5 years.

It's meant to make Tony a sympathetic child, because that's who the movie is for. This isn't "Enemy" in it's inspection of the idea of revenge. It's not "Up" in terms of quickly telling the story of a relationship to give it emotional weight.

It's just "Mom (that was never important) died. That makes me angry." And that's enough to give the movie a "both sides have good points" ending.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McSpanky posted:

The biggest cop-out was having Cap win at all imo.

Agent Rush posted:

What's weirder is that every 3-4 weeks some yahoo on twitter makes a tweet about how Batman is terrible because he spends billions on expensive toys and beating up mentally ill people when he could be donating that money to create social safety nets. But they never make the same drat post about Iron man inventing literally infinite energy and instead of solving all the worlds energy problems just uses it to build more mobile tank suits

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Even with my low expectations I was surprised that they invented anti aging and presumably immortality in End game and it was used for one gag and never brought up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Agent Rush posted:

I think the way the violence is depicted in the respective films plays a large role. Like, in addition to Iron Man always being in control, the after-effects of his usage of laser beams, or when he punches someone in his powered suit, are kept to a minimum and so feel too fantastical to register as a deadly use of force. Meanwhile BvS Batman gets shot in the head while struggling to get through all of the mercenaries.

Weird thoughts about Snyder aside, his portrayal of superhero violence isn't only done just to emphasize how BvS Batman has gone too far, as the infamous Superman neck snapping scene can attest to. He considers and therefore uses violence as a critical part of the story, as opposed to trying to hide it so people don't have to think about it.

How many superhero films have we had, and how many of the people who have watched countless of them can articulate what it means for violence to be just? The responses to Scorsese's remark that MCU films have no humanity certainly weren't promising, except for Crispin Glover:

"These films that are....comic-book derived films that are not necessarily character studies and are more dealing with comforting the American public to feel as though they're a righteous, justified police force in the world. That's essentially what the message [is] generalized, but essentially that's the underlying message of what's going on in our corporate propaganda..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qWdoHBmTJM&feature=youtu.be&t=142

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 20, 2020