Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

tbh it seems more useful than the battleships in uc.

Basically the only reason it was as successful as it was happened to be it was an unknown unit appearing suddenly and with the ability to repel the most common weapon at the time. Missiles and bazookas would have eaten it for breakfast. It was heavily armored but honestly a squadron of Balls focusing firing on it probably would have wrecked its day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Okay, I see Turn A, and the original, but... I'm not seeing a third best Gundam. Is there like a magic eye thing to see Mika or Domon?

This is a correct take.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

Okay, I see Turn A, and the original, but... I'm not seeing a third best Gundam. Is there like a magic eye thing to see Mika or Domon?

This G-Self erasure must end! Our Ver Ka is surely on the way!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stairmaster posted:

tbh it seems more useful than the battleships in uc.

Battleships can carry and maintain mobile suits from point A to point B and provide artillery support. They're vulnerable to MS attacks, but they're incredibly important and integral to mobile suit combat because mobile suits don't have infinite operational time.

The Big Zam is a giant piece of poo poo that has a ton of firepower but is basically completely stationary, has huge power generation problems that limit it to about 20 minutes of sustained combat at most, and its primary method of defense, the I-Field, only works against beams and even then doesn't work if the target gets close enough. It killed a bunch of GMs due to sheer "what the gently caress is that" shock/surprise value before it ran into the White Base crew, and even if the White Base crew didn't kill it it would have probably run out of power and gotten dismantled by a pack of Balls or opportunistic GMs.

The only mobile armor in original Gundam that is no poo poo a terrifying superweapon is the Elmeth(and I guess the Braw Bro counts since it's pretty much a prototype Elmeth), since the Elmeth's whole MO was "it kills you and your entire unit from so far away that you can't even properly detect it".

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just make mobile suit carriers and have the mobile suits screen the big zams ez

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Or solve the problem the Zeon way: build a Bigger Zam.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

The only mobile armor in original Gundam that is no poo poo a terrifying superweapon is the Elmeth(and I guess the Braw Bro counts since it's pretty much a prototype Elmeth), since the Elmeth's whole MO was "it kills you and your entire unit from so far away that you can't even properly detect it".

It's not exactly a terrifying superweapon, but I'd argue the Bigro is pretty decent as these things go by being a really fast beam equipped assault unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

It's not exactly a terrifying superweapon, but I'd argue the Bigro is pretty decent as these things go by being a really fast beam equipped assault unit.

The Bigro honestly was kinda crap in an Igloo way. It was mobile and heavily armed but difficult to pilot because of how mobile it was. It was theoretically a ship killer but the difficulty in using it well even in optimal conditions (let alone with actual mobile suit support) kind of mean it's another of Zeon's "We gotta figure out SOMETHING" choices.

An ace pilot in a Bigro could probably be terrifying but the issue there is, especially by the time the Bigro was fielded, an ace pilot in a Dom (let alone a Gelgoog) would be way more terrifying and capable and the actual act of destroying a carrier that isn't a White Base in the OYW is not that difficult for a talented pilot so hyper-focusing on ship-killing is basically an expensive waste of cash.

The OYW is a pretty good example of the fact that ace pilots thrive either with well-rounded workhorse mecha or with something hyper-tuned their exact specific specifications. Zeon's problem is that they made hyper-tuned mecha but then geared them towards mass production, whereas the Federation basically went "GM, GM with a different gun, GM with TWO different guns, GM with some extra armor..." with a small side helping of "A work pod with a big rear end cannon on it" so even if extremely talented pilots showed up they were in good all-rounder mecha that could be easily customized to focus on a pilot's strengths if necessary.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Makes it all the more funny that The Origin has the Zakrello of all machines be Zeon's MP Mobile Armor, while the Bigro is a random one-off that only exists for the sake of a couple random gags in the final volume of The Origin

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

The Bigro honestly was kinda crap in an Igloo way. It was mobile and heavily armed but difficult to pilot because of how mobile it was. It was theoretically a ship killer but the difficulty in using it well even in optimal conditions (let alone with actual mobile suit support) kind of mean it's another of Zeon's "We gotta figure out SOMETHING" choices.

You're not wrong, it's yet another case of how Zeon was the worst enemy of Zeon. Still, the Bigro is leagues beyond half the poo poo in Igloo, at least the Bigro doesn't randomly explode.

Also it was a space only Mobile Armor, and while it made sense at the time because by that point Zeon had basically been kicked off Earth the fact that Zeon had basically been kicked off of Earth meant it was too little, too late.

drrockso20 posted:

Makes it all the more funny that The Origin has the Zakrello of all machines be Zeon's MP Mobile Armor, while the Bigro is a random one-off that only exists for the sake of a couple random gags in the final volume of The Origin

The Zakurello fight in the original series is one of my favorites in the series. Amuro gets scraped twice before he jams a Beam Saber through it's reactor and then flies back to the White Base going "Was that it? That was incredibly easy, I wonder what was up with that guy..."

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 19, 2020

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I wish the Brawrello got more love.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

These are all good suggestions, but they are no Saku boys, no Saku!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jackhunter64 posted:

These are all good suggestions, but they are no Saku boys, no Saku!

We should collectively pool our resources to get someone to do similar redesigns of the rest of Zeon's arsenal(maybe the Federation too)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

We should collectively pool our resources to get someone to do similar redesigns of the rest of Zeon's arsenal(maybe the Federation too)

You don't need to pay a dollar. If there's a Zeon design out there, there is a Saku variant someone drew.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

The Zakurello fight in the original series is one of my favorites in the series. Amuro gets scraped twice before he jams a Beam Saber through it's reactor and then flies back to the White Base going "Was that it? That was incredibly easy, I wonder what was up with that guy..."
Also you've got them using the extremely silly Gundam head and torso attached to G-Armor back combo for it on top of Char being informed afterwards that the Zakrello was destroyed and his reaction roughly being "And why the heck would I care about that?"

EDIT: I need at least one AU where Frau Bow pilots the Braw Bro.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've always been a movie trilogy guy, started watching the full TV version of MSG a couple months back. Guess I'm gonna have to stick with this version if I wanna get to know Zakrello and Bigro! My hands are tied!

I did watch the full series for Zeta not the movies though, I'm not a savage. But speaking of, I was thinking of watching the 0083 movie instead of the full 0083, since that's been on my backlog for centuries. I dunno, the art of the compilation movie, it's kind of good sometimes, back in the day at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't underestimate the zakrello. just don't do it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

Also you've got them using the extremely silly Gundam head and torso attached to G-Armor back combo for it on top of Char being informed afterwards that the Zakrello was destroyed and his reaction roughly being "And why the heck would I care about that?"

EDIT: I need at least one AU where Frau Bow pilots the Braw Bro.

Yas must be a fan of it considering the expanded role he give it in The Origin

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Yas must be a fan of it considering the expanded role he give it in The Origin

But does The Origin have them go to Cucruz Doan's Island? :P

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So the origin is a series of ovas but they all had a theatrical premiere correct? Why not call them movies do they lack the poise and gravitas you might expect from film?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

But does The Origin have them go to Cucruz Doan's Island? :P

There's a spin-off manga covering a version of that episode that's also giving them an excuse to tie some MSV designs into The Origin

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

So the origin is a series of ovas but they all had a theatrical premiere correct? Why not call them movies do they lack the poise and gravitas you might expect from film?

Runtime probably, each OVA episode was about an hour which is kind of short for a movie.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Stairmaster posted:

Think its about run time. They're somewhere between 50-70 minutes which means a few are feature length, but not really feature storied. They're real pretty tho.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

December sky is considered a movie though right?

It's a compilation of OVAs so I should hope so

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

December sky is considered a movie though right?

It's a compilation of OVAs so I should hope so

Does it matter?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's about what cinematic ambition

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

Does it matter?

i mean not really but the distinction is what this conversation was about

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i just started the origin and maybe its the weed but this opening battle is hella badass

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yo now I see why char was so hosed up

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Yo now I see why char was so hosed up

Origins Char was always hosed up (anime even more than in the manga), but yeah. Life was not kind.

It's part of why Sayla's an interesting comparison point, because she's a much more normal person shaped by the same circumstances.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

watching origins 1 there seemed to be some deal where sayla was always comforted by her mom and other adults when traumatic poo poo was going down, while char tended to get pushed to the side because he wasn't making a fuss about it. there's an awful lot of shots of char quietly looking to side as his sister is comforted through the trauma while he's ignored, dunno what the proper intention for those shots is though

i guess the idea is that he's always kind of had a complex about motherly love even before being separated from his mother, which sayla didn't develop. which i guess helps explain how they both went on such separate paths despite having roughly the same beginning. there was also stuff like char being expected to negotiate with the head of police (kycillia) at 8 years old for whatever reason, i guess the overall point is that char was very quickly forced to grow up and set aside the trauma being inflicted on him while sayla had the freedom and support to actually process it.

it seems kinda weird but there's enough scenes where char is the focus as sayla is babied that they have to mean something, or the focus wouldn't be put on him, and this is the best reading i can come up with off the top of my head.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hold on are they about to do some principal skinner bullshit with this aznable family kid

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

hold on are they about to do some principal skinner bullshit with this aznable family kid

Correct.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Origin Char is much more blatantly nuts than the original, though Novel Char might still edge him out a bit in that area

It's honestly one of the big improvements it makes over the original anime

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

This is Casval's apartment, Casval's liquor, Casval's copy of Swank, Casval's frozen peas.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

This is Casval's apartment, Casval's liquor, Casval's copy of Swank, Casval's frozen peas.

I dunno. That seems more like Quattro's copy of Swank.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm not sure what's more unnecessary: Kid Casval being able to score perfect shots on three Guntanks and killing soldiers, or Char setting up the fellow cadet who found out his real identity to die despite him supporting Char. Hell, maybe both are unnecessary since we already got those scenes of Char beating up and almost killing a supposed spy in the bar, or taking the real Char's identity and having him die in that shuttle explosion.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

All of those things were sick as hell

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I'm not sure what's more unnecessary: Kid Casval being able to score perfect shots on three Guntanks and killing soldiers, or Char setting up the fellow cadet who found out his real identity to die despite him supporting Char. Hell, maybe both are unnecessary since we already got those scenes of Char beating up and almost killing a supposed spy in the bar, or taking the real Char's identity and having him die in that shuttle explosion.

Again Char is nuttier than squirrel food, all this stuff just makes it more clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The actually unnecessary thing was when kycellia needed to negotiate with the remaining deikuns and rather than have the adult woman speak to them they wheeled out the man of the house: an 8 year old child