Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Delivery Hero's major investor's (rocket internet) business model is to fund start ups which copy existing, successful startups in markets they haven't reached yet.

We already had Uber Eats, Deliveroo and Takeaway.com (which was started in The Netherlands) so idk what they were thinking tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris Knight posted:

there used to be a delivery company here called Hurrier, but they got taken over and became Foodora. I thought the original name was better

big miss not having brooms and rocks on their livery, IMO

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

there used to be a delivery company here called Hurrier, but they got taken over and became Foodora. I thought the original name was better
Maybe they should try "Foodbuntu"?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this podcast is brought to you by gentoo apron, the slow cooker meal kit company

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's gnu slash dinnux

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

roux hash geoducks :barf:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this podcast is brought to you by gentoo apron, the slow cooker meal kit company

we mail you a box of slow cooker parts and you tune it precisely for your kitchen

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gotta use evoo when you cook so close to the metal

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i imagine just getting soylent delivered is the best option if you want to be close to the metal given the lead content

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
all these recipes are open sauce so anyone can audit their nutritional value

*dies of malnutrition*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This licensing prompt brought to you by Oracle. Oracle is the number one producer of agonized screams, with content from DBAs to MBAs. Go to Oracle dot com slash licensing for your free triahahaha sorry I can't

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imagine if software was like pharmaceutical commercials

ask your cio if ORACLE is right for you

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an android OS out there that is independent from Google? I'm asking because apparently Google just installed a Covid tracker on all android phones, and the fact that they didn't notify me is what spooked me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

human garbage bag posted:

Is there an android OS out there that is independent from Google? I'm asking because apparently Google just installed a Covid tracker on all android phones, and the fact that they didn't notify me is what spooked me.

:thunk:

Wait till you hear about Apple!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lol

yeah

get a landline

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

More seriously, they just pushed an API that, with your explicit consent required, can be used by health department apps. It defaults to off, you can find it in your phone settings, and it does nothing if you don't have a relevant app installed.

Even if you're not in the EU, you still benefit from the effects of GDPR on designs.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

friend, let me tell you about the good word of Windows Phone

no surprise updates!

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

More seriously, they just pushed an API that, with your explicit consent required, can be used by health department apps. It defaults to off, you can find it in your phone settings, and it does nothing if you don't have a relevant app installed.

Even if you're not in the EU, you still benefit from the effects of GDPR on designs.

That's all well and good, I honestly am fine with Google installing new apps on my phone, but what stunned me was that they didn't give any notification. Considering all of the conspiracy theories floating around, it is monumentally stupid for Google et-all to install a tracking app on a user's phone silently. I literally found out about it from a conspiracy theory forum.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's not an app. It's a new API. That means that it's something that other apps can program against to use, but doesn't necessarily do anything by itself.

It's also been very much in tech news, this isn't a secret. You also don't really get told when plenty of other changes come through in Google Core Services but that's what's being updated.

I get feeling like you've been bamboozled here but I promise this has never been a secret.

Edit: for reference, here's the long list of stuff that lives alongside it.

Double edit: this is stuff that gets updates ALL THE TIME. Think of it sort of like how windows or OS X gets critical updates in the background, which you may not think about or even notice.

Triple: here's the actual Google site discussing this.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 20, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Volmarias posted:

I get feeling like you've been bamboozled here but I promise this has never been a secret.

you're talking to someone who self-admittedly browses around conspiracy theory forums

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That's all well and good, I honestly am fine with Google installing new apps on my phone, but what stunned me was that they didn't give any notification. Considering all of the conspiracy theories floating around, it is monumentally stupid for Google et-all to install a tracking app on a user's phone silently. I literally found out about it from a conspiracy theory forum.

it's not a "tracking app", it's an API that apps you explicitly choose to install and give permission can use, and all it does is record anonymized pings from other phones you pass and submit the data when you explicitly tell it to.

compared to the massive amount of apps that are already collecting your precise GPS location using the literal location tracking API that has been built into the phone from day 1 this is nothing

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

it's not a "tracking app", it's an API that apps you explicitly choose to install and give permission can use, and all it does is record anonymized pings from other phones you pass and submit the data when you explicitly tell it to.

compared to the massive amount of apps that are already collecting your precise GPS location using the literal location tracking API that has been built into the phone from day 1 this is nothing

Why is it at the top of the list of the Google services then, when all of the other services are listed alphabetically?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Why is it at the top of the list of the Google services then, when all of the other services are listed alphabetically?

Darn, got us, guess Big Cellphone can't pull the wool over your eyes, eh?

Forgive me, Uncle Sundar, I have failed you!

:negative:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...perhaps to call explicit attention to the thing you're saying they snuck in under the radar?

idk what to tell you dude, read the thing about how it works and decide for yourself if that's more of a security threat to you than every cell tower knowing where you are all the time (which they do) or your phone's built-in bluetooth beacon functionality (which it has) or apps sending your location data to random servers (which they also do). all i can say is from what i've read and my own judgement it's really not a big deal, and it's far less useful to a nefarious shadow government or w/e than a bunch of other poo poo that's already on your phone or part of the cell network and already tracking you

also maybe you shouldn't take information you find on a conspiracy forum at face value...

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

...perhaps to call explicit attention to the thing you're saying they snuck in under the radar?

idk what to tell you dude, read the thing about how it works and decide for yourself if that's more of a security threat to you than every cell tower knowing where you are all the time (which they do) or your phone's built-in bluetooth beacon functionality (which it has) or apps sending your location data to random servers (which they also do). all i can say is from what i've read and my own judgement it's really not a big deal, and it's far less useful to a nefarious shadow government or w/e than a bunch of other poo poo that's already on your phone or part of the cell network and already tracking you

also maybe you shouldn't take information you find on a conspiracy forum at face value...

It makes it looks like they are advertising something, "Hey there! Look at this new app that is at the top! Maybe you should activate it?" Google knows they legally can't force their users to share location information, but why are they trying to encourage their users to activate this new app? The fact that this app was installed at the same time Apple installed their version of the app on the iPhone makes it seem like it was a coordinated effort, yet companies colluding like this would break anti-trust laws, unless there was a third party who was orchestrating it for them both.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

It makes it looks like they are advertising something, "Hey there! Look at this new app that is at the top! Maybe you should activate it?" Google knows they legally can't force their users to share location information, but why are they trying to encourage their users to activate this new app? The fact that this app was installed at the same time Apple installed their version of the app on the iPhone makes it seem like it was a coordinated effort, yet companies colluding like this would break anti-trust laws, unless there was a third party who was orchestrating it for them both.

Stop huffing tinfoil it's breaking your brain

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There's a gold fringe around the settings app, which means that it's an admiralty app and thus not subject to the jursidiction of the United States. There is no way for you to bring the COVID-19 API, which is a LEGAL FICTION created by the government, to a trial when you want COVID-19, the virus! Furthermore,

e: checked the post history. A good trolling.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 20, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao holy poo poo on the one hand I can't really fault somebody for not knowing the difference between an application and an application programming interface but on the other hand if you don't know what words mean, don't pretend that you do

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
normally you’d be right but I’m this case api actually stands for alien-powered illuminati

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poo poo

you're right

now im the rear end in a top hat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

There's a gold fringe around the settings app, which means that it's an admiralty app and thus not subject to the jursidiction of the United States. There is no way for you to bring the COVID-19 API, which is a LEGAL FICTION created by the government, to a trial when you want COVID-19, the virus! Furthermore,

oh that's no fun, oh well

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

This is my favorite post

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Foodora operated in The Netherlands for a while but I thankfully never ordered with them. My decision being based solely because of the fact that their name is dumb as hell.

I tip my foodora to you good sir

*tips nacho hat*

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
tbh i was confused because "turn off exposure notifications" sure is a wording that sounds like it would disable notifications but not the tracking

product idea: a camera with a bluetooth receiver you put by the door and it tells you when any of your employees/customers mark themselves as having covid

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

looking forward to people constantly being marked as close contacts because bluetooth was periodically able to get a ping through a couple floors

or across a street

or between cars on a highway

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, pretty sure it's this.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

suffix posted:

tbh i was confused because "turn off exposure notifications" sure is a wording that sounds like it would disable notifications but not the tracking

product idea: a camera with a bluetooth receiver you put by the door and it tells you when any of your employees/customers mark themselves as having covid

Well, there is no actual tracking in the normal way, the only time something gets sent to the server is when the owner of the phone has/had Covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

looking forward to people constantly being marked as close contacts because bluetooth was periodically able to get a ping through a couple floors

or across a street

or between cars on a highway

It takes the duration of contact into account, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm sure there's gonna be all sorts of weird and wonderful edge cases though, radio waves can do weird things.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 20, 2020