Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Is he any good at being a designer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Seki is great but he's scum

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lmao https://all-aboardgames.com/products/300-chessie-chips-spares

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you're willing to pay that you might as well play with real money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Seki is great but he's scum

Anything specific? I know there's no way for him not to be and also be a billionaire, just curious.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

That's about 450 dollars for effectively custom stickers, and that's being generous with buying the extra sleeves and shipping costs. AAG it's getting good games but should reevaluate their chip business.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Those are astoundingly ugly

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

See, and dudes like this who just do it for shits and giggles make it tough for people who aren't aristocrats to stay in it.

Holy gently caress it's 17th century print culture all over again.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Spiggy posted:

That's about 450 dollars for effectively custom stickers, and that's being generous with buying the extra sleeves and shipping costs. AAG it's getting good games but should reevaluate their chip business.

It's a one time sale of his custom set of chips, he's not making a business out of it. Those are extremely high end custom order chips, certainly not for everyone.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I played game 2 of Fog of Love. We started as high school sweethearts...and neither met out destiny. We both ended up...pretty much where we started. She became Macho. I became Disorganised. I didn't understand the rules for special cards so we never got a chance to ask to marry or even upgrade the relationship. Whelp. We just sorta stayed a couple and forgot you can go beyond that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

taser rates posted:

extremely high end custom order chips

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spiggy posted:

To be clear, he's selling those at cost. I don't think anyone wanted them.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I wonder how slippery they are... Get JC on the horn and have him do some tests!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I’ll never understand this trend of trying to make “boardgame poker chips”. There’s nothing wrong with traditional chips in the first place.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Traditional chips are unmarked, you just know that greys are 20. Boardgamers are already holding onto the rules by their fingertips, making them remember what grey is too is inviting disaster.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

CommonShore posted:

See, and dudes like this who just do it for shits and giggles make it tough for people who aren't aristocrats to stay in it.

Holy gently caress it's 17th century print culture all over again.

I’m just happy that someone is designing wargames. Are you also upset that Jason Matthews, a Washington lobbyist, and Ananda Gupta, a Riot games developer, or Ed Beach, who works at Firaxis, or Lee Beimmicombe-Wood, who works in IT, are also designing wargames because it stops the little guy from designing?

Most people don’t do war game design as a job unless they’re Mark Herman or Dean Essig. It’s clearly a hobby for the vast majority of people involved. It’s really not enough for most people to make a full time job out of it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Volko Ruhnke is a CIA spook. He develops consims for their strategy people for a living.

Purely making boardgames for a living isn't a full time, well paid gig for many people at all.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
That reminded me of an article a while back, and this quote that ties into the discussion a page or two ago about games involving "bad" real life things:

V R posted:

Elegant as the COIN Series is, I ask Ruhnke if his goals are a stretch. What’s going to happen when one of the uninitiated sits down and realizes his options don’t include shuffling resources to trade goods in the Mediterranean, but rather terrorism, assassination and extortion? “You’re bound to launch some highly consequential thinking,” he says. “Not only about what should and shouldn’t be fun, and why it is, but about the world you live in.”

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The End posted:

Volko Ruhnke is a CIA spook. He develops consims for their strategy people for a living.

Purely making boardgames for a living isn't a full time, well paid gig for many people at all.

i still would love to play a hella classifed version of COIN where all the cards are based on top secret intel but otoh the world is so stupid that im fairly sure the only diff between those games and ours is faulty intel

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey! It’s me, the guy new to board games back again. I asked a few pages ago about good two player games and a lot of you recommended Pandemic. Someone brought up Pandemic Legacy and i’m seeing that game got for a smooth $70 - $80 dollars. Does it just include a lot more, is it out of print?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Papes posted:

I’ll never understand this trend of trying to make “boardgame poker chips”. There’s nothing wrong with traditional chips in the first place.

It's simply aesthetics. I think the Iron Clays look lovely and the absurdly overpriced super custom whatever ones linked above look like poo poo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey! It’s me, the guy new to board games back again. I asked a few pages ago about good two player games and a lot of you recommended Pandemic. Someone brought up Pandemic Legacy and i’m seeing that game got for a smooth $70 - $80 dollars. Does it just include a lot more, is it out of print?

oh oh oh, you're the perfect person for this.

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/1273748364526567424

There's a free Print and Play version of Pandemic: Hot Zone - North America available.
Hot Zone is basically a mini-version of Pandemic, with some slightly modified rules, that takes about 30min max to play.

It's a really good 'in-between game' for my groups while I wait for people to arrive for bigger games, etc.

If you like Hot Zone you will enjoy the full version of Pandemic.

Also not sure how much it personally matters to you, but Legacy Season 3 is due ~this yearish~ but seems to have been delayed due to rona related reasons.
If you can hold off you might be able to get Season 1 or 2 on the cheap!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Won't 3 probably spoil both 1 and 2 on premise alone?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

It's simply aesthetics. I think the Iron Clays look lovely and the absurdly overpriced super custom whatever ones linked above look like poo poo.

Nerds like to have ~pretty things~ as well.

Merchants of the Dark Road Kickstarter just posted the factory samples of their deluxe two-tone metal coins and they rule.

Glad I'm all in on it, they look really unique and not something you see often.

PMush Perfect posted:

Won't 3 probably spoil both 1 and 2 on premise alone?

Yeah but from a discount perspective, it's win/win for newbies.

One of my groups has expressed interest in picking up Season 3, even though we haven't played 1-2.
Not sure if that matters too much for carry over?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Resident Evil Inventory Manager turned into a $125 deluxified Euro sounds extremely not my jam.

This rules though!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

We all have bad opinions :smug:

For an actual answer, there's quite a bit more to chips besides just the aesthetic appeal. The weight, type/quality of material used, and visual clarity of edge spots and colors are what I consider when I play with chips, and iron clays are very not good by those standards.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 21, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

taser rates posted:

We all have bad opinions :smug:

Are you seriously gonna stan for overpriced Generic Poker Chips /w Custom Centre over Iron Clays? :psyduck:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like if you want some fancy traditional poker chips, for actually playing poker, you can just get a set of Rounders replicas on the 'cheap'.

http://www.classicpokerchips.com/stock/rounderss.htm
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/stock/index.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtarhjRLx30

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What about rectangular chips?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Messing around on TTS I definitely think I like the basically every Petersen game I've played but they are all pricey and giant as hell. Not gonna lie though, I would totally dig a giant Orlanth miniature.

Thankfully though, Spirit Island is more reasonable price and size wise.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Forgotten Waters rulebook pdf has a pirate name generator section. You can be Sleepy Jojo, Comrade Mao and He-Beast the Swole.

I'll wait for a localized version release before checking it out, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tiny Epic Pirates revealed some pretty punny 'themed wrestler' level pirate names during the campaign :allears:

Alice O'Malice and Niki Knuckles are pretty great.
Should have been Cheeky Nandos though

SelenicMartian posted:

He-Beast the Swole.

This is great, and I'm stealing this next time I get to play a D&D 1 shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ud1oB4ei4

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Are you seriously gonna stan for overpriced Generic Poker Chips /w Custom Centre over Iron Clays? :psyduck:

As pretty as Iron Clays may be, and I'm happy to have them, they really aren't that great for a game that needs to use them in high numbers. In Brass you have like 10 chips max in front of you at any given time, but in choo-choo games you'll be building stacks (especially on corp charters where space is at a premium). Iron Clays have at least two aspects that make them epecially bad for that purpose: They're actually very slippery (so it's easier to make a stack fall over), with no physical indentation except for that tiny dimple in the very middle, and their side patterns are harder to read than most chips.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I honestly don't understand the enduring appeal of having a whole bunch of mediocre games that primarily exist as a proof of concept about how small you can make mediocre games of all different genres.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Infinitum posted:

oh oh oh, you're the perfect person for this.

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/1273748364526567424

There's a free Print and Play version of Pandemic: Hot Zone - North America available.
Hot Zone is basically a mini-version of Pandemic, with some slightly modified rules, that takes about 30min max to play.

It's a really good 'in-between game' for my groups while I wait for people to arrive for bigger games, etc.

If you like Hot Zone you will enjoy the full version of Pandemic.

Also not sure how much it personally matters to you, but Legacy Season 3 is due ~this yearish~ but seems to have been delayed due to rona related reasons.
If you can hold off you might be able to get Season 1 or 2 on the cheap!

Oooh, this is super cool. I'll probably pick up some cardstock and make this. Should I try this, then Pandemic, and then Pandemic Legacy?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Oooh, this is super cool. I'll probably pick up some cardstock and make this. Should I try this, then Pandemic, and then Pandemic Legacy?

If you like it just buy Pandemic Legacy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The End posted:

I honestly don't understand the enduring appeal of having a whole bunch of mediocre games that primarily exist as a proof of concept about how small you can make mediocre games of all different genres.

1) they totally own for camping

and

2) a lot of the Tiny Epic games are actually very good, I think Mechs, Zombies and Tactics are all fun, good games. I’ve honestly never understood the love here for Tiny Epic Galaxies, I played that one first and honestly walked away with an opinion like yours above, but others have impressed me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

food court bailiff posted:

I’ve honestly never understood the love here for Tiny Epic Galaxies, I played that one first and honestly walked away with an opinion like yours above.

Did you play with five, by any chance?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

food court bailiff posted:

1) they totally own for camping

and

2) a lot of the Tiny Epic games are actually very good, I think Mechs, Zombies and Tactics are all fun, good games. I’ve honestly never understood the love here for Tiny Epic Galaxies, I played that one first and honestly walked away with an opinion like yours above, but others have impressed me.

Tiny Epic Galaxies hits for people who have played Twilight Imperium. TEG is TI Mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Tiny Epic Galaxies hits for people who have played Twilight Imperium. TEG is TI Mini.

Seriously? :nyoron: