Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Goon gaming discord for those who want to team up for some titanfall 2 matches: https://discord.gg/GKAjUC

We have a dedicated channel and can get you added to the tag for when you ping (or pulse blade am I right?) for games. We already get three to five folks on several times a week so with the game coming on steam I’m sure we can get more players and more frequency. Super low key, no worries about your skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Did they take a bunch of maps out of the pool or something? I feel like only get a rotation of like 3 maps.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

OctaMurk posted:

I guess my issue is that I don't have any of the DLC, but I want to buy it on steam because it's way cheaper than getting the DLC on origin right now. But want to keep all my progression so far.

You keep all your progression when you log in since it's just your Origin account anyway. You can buy DLC on Steam afterwards; it's just passing a flag to the Origin backend that you bought it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Did they take a bunch of maps out of the pool or something? I feel like only get a rotation of like 3 maps.

The map rotation algorithm seems like it was untouched after the last major update, so I hope you like Rise!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just picked this up and Steam and holy gently caress, does this thing have a learning curve.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just picked this up and Steam and holy gently caress, does this thing have a learning curve.

Early on focus on staying alive and killing the AI grunts. Save your titan for when a teammate has at least one friendly titan also around.

I know it sounds dumb to suggest 'try to stay alive and not die' but it's very different than trying to aggressively seek out enemy players and challenge them in straight up fights. When you focus on staying alive you get a lot of time to practice doing cool parkour moves. Killing AI actually gives your team a great deal of points.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wazzit posted:

Yep. The whole Steam thing is just a gigantic check mark to go “Yup, it’s on Steam baby! Freedom to the player to choose how to play!”

Getting content delivered on Steam, something I always have running, and not something I open every now and then owns since I download faster through Steam. Also it's nice that Origin only runs when I have any Origin based games running.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Early on focus on staying alive and killing the AI grunts. Save your titan for when a teammate has at least one friendly titan also around.

I know it sounds dumb to suggest 'try to stay alive and not die' but it's very different than trying to aggressively seek out enemy players and challenge them in straight up fights. When you focus on staying alive you get a lot of time to practice doing cool parkour moves. Killing AI actually gives your team a great deal of points.

Working on this, thanks. Matchmaking seems really bad tbh, every game seems to be a total stomp. Last one especially, our top was like 9/4, theirs was something like 26/2

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Working on this, thanks. Matchmaking seems really bad tbh, every game seems to be a total stomp. Last one especially, our top was like 9/4, theirs was something like 26/2

The single-player campaign for TF2 slaps hard and is probably the best solo-shooter of the last ten years, if you can't find a match!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The single-player campaign for TF2 slaps hard and is probably the best solo-shooter of the last ten years, if you can't find a match!

Yeah I started with that and got through the EXCELLENT time shifting mission before trying MP. The campaign is really good, I am shocked.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yeah I started with that and got through the EXCELLENT time shifting mission before trying MP. The campaign is really good, I am shocked.

It's one of the best campaigns in gaming tbh

While the influx of players from Steam will hopefully help with the matchmaking, until recently this game has a had very small active player base and so most of the people playing it have been playing for a while, but while you won't be up to pubstomping levels any time soon you'll probably adjust and adapt quickly once you wrap your head around the movement. As others have noted, clearing the AI troops is actually important and gives your team points so if you spend a few matches mostly AI hunting and playing with the movement you'll still be contributing to the team effort.

Titanfall 2 is one of the most brilliant games ever released and it is a god drat tragedy it never blew up. I haven't played in a while, and learning it came out on Steam has me kinda hype to fire it up again this weekend.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Frontier defense (PvE wave defense mode) is ok for easing you into multiplayer. You’ll see the maps, have a chance to work parkour and titans, and fight the AI. However, ai titans are different than pilot titans and you get titans upgrades in frontier defense that you won’t get in pvp

oh poo poo i forgot about this mode, yes play this a bunch if you're not feeling it for PvP matches

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 20, 2020

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Frontier defense (PvE wave defense mode) is ok for easing you into multiplayer. You’ll see the maps, have a chance to work parkour and titans, and fight the AI. However, ai titans are different than pilot titans and you get titans upgrades in frontier defense that you won’t get in pvp

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
As someone who bought it on Origin when it came out, is the Steam version share the same servers/players? I'm not exactly keen on rebuying it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

AlmightyPants posted:

As someone who bought it on Origin when it came out, is the Steam version share the same servers/players? I'm not exactly keen on rebuying it.

Yep! Extremely healthy game population now too

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Huge player spike with the Steam release. I'm a bit concerned about the older players driving away the new players though - biggest problem so far is older players complaining about new players using CAR/smart pistol/Monarch or whatever then switching to something sweaty and dominating the newer players. Annoying since a lot of these older players are the same people who complain about the small player base.

Edit: The one excpetion I'll make where I don't mind bullying the new players is for those using controllers on PC and relying on the huge aim assist. I loving hate that.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 20, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EA finally dropped a player on it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So like, are Origin players TRYING to drop the player base again? Not only do I see consistent stomps, there is constant mockery and trolling. Guy going 19/2 "lol get better im not even good" kind of poo poo. Gotta say, I'm really going sour on this which is a huge shame because it seems really fun, but I spend most of the round dead.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

So like, are Origin players TRYING to drop the player base again? Not only do I see consistent stomps, there is constant mockery and trolling. Guy going 19/2 "lol get better im not even good" kind of poo poo. Gotta say, I'm really going sour on this which is a huge shame because it seems really fun, but I spend most of the round dead.

There's assholes in every video game. Titanfall 2 has had a much bigger skill gap than most games since before it released on Steam though, its pretty common for there to be one or two players who are really crushing it in any given game.

Some tips: floor is lava, hipfire is really accurate

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

hipfire is really accurate

This is probably the biggest thing to get used to honestly. Breaking the muscle memory of going ads to shoot anything

ShadowSpectre
Oct 6, 2016
man the servers were NOT ready for the influx of people, jumped around like 90s hiphop told us to

quicker matchup times are nice, it's weird seeing the odd player not playing floor is lava

Scorch tends to encourage them to try pretty quickly, though

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

ShadowSpectre posted:

man the servers were NOT ready for the influx of people, jumped around like 90s hiphop told us to

quicker matchup times are nice, it's weird seeing the odd player not playing floor is lava

Scorch tends to encourage them to try pretty quickly, though

I played a lot back when this was new and it took like 2 hours for me to remember to get off the floor and stop adsing so much. My scores in attrition, the best game mode, went from 30-60 to 130+. Also helped that I stopped using bad weapons and the sniper titan.

Don't be an idiot like me.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Alternatively, use Northstar and stomp

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
On the subject of weapons, what are considered to be good ones? I've been using the CAR because it's default, and the energy LMG because its rad af

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

On the subject of weapons, what are considered to be good ones? I've been using the CAR because it's default, and the energy LMG because its rad af

Pretty much all of them tbh.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAR has incredible accuracy hip firing, it's a solid gun for sure. Alternator tap-fired is insanely good too, go fast and plink fools. Volt is similarly laser accurate and used to be very OP and was sadly nerfed.

Just play with them, I'm not sure there's actually a BAD weapon and they're all fun to use. I was always a little poo poo with the grenadier weapons aside from the Softball but that's just down to a lack of skill with them.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

there's a goon network, lljk, maybe it will be more active now. ignore the dickheads, it's a pretty casual game despite the mechanical skill involved wince there's no ranked mode and you don't need to cooperate with your team to win games. you can skate by at the bottom of the scoreboard and stay pretty invisible until you get the ropes. Just don't worry about it, if someone complains about a gun or whatever, just lol.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
They are all nice, but some have an awkwardness that makes them difficult vs more straightforward guns like the CAR. Cold War, Wingman, Mastiff, Volt, Devotion, etc. They all have a situation and range where they slap but in your average range suddenly see a pilot wallrun around a corner a point and shoot will do you better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have to admit, getting back into the swing of TF2 and going full on try hard I've dominated some of the matches that I've played and I feel bad when 8 of the players have the [ADV] tag; It's hard not to go hamhocks up in this bitch once you're derusted, the gameplay and movement just caters to the faster play so well.

I did have a couple matches though where the other team was stacked with dudes who have obviously been around for a long while (and they're together) and it's been a shutout, I feel like that's worse.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

I liked the hacking knife from TF1, and being able to rip off a plate and unload a clip into the guts of a titan as a pilot, but I think Titanfall 2 is better in almost every way besides really minor stuff like the first person animations.

Having those automated turrets around maps that you could hack was really cool, I dunno why they removed that from TF2 because that combined with being able to hack spectres was awesome, especially the burn card system where you could have an army of them following you around. The main thing for me however was the maps and they were all so good in TF1 but TF2 comparatively had a lot of really bad maps that just weren't fun. I dunno what happened with quality of level design decreasing so much.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I feel that, I miss the turrets too.

Also, Homestead is the fuckin' worst map; why haven't they brought back every map from TF1? That should have been a given considering TF1 is a dead game. I mean, I guess they'd have to do without the turrets, but I miss that huge Dam level and the desert area with those dragon dinosaur things.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Designer interviews around launch stated they wanted maps designed around general lanes of conflict instead of the swiss cheese of paths everywhere like in 1

There were a lot of media and design choice weirdness around the launch of 2, even outside of the launch window. It's a cockiness that you see in how Apex was launched.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

sigher posted:

I feel that, I miss the turrets too.

Also, Homestead is the fuckin' worst map; why haven't they brought back every map from TF1? That should have been a given considering TF1 is a dead game. I mean, I guess they'd have to do without the turrets, but I miss that huge Dam level and the desert area with those dragon dinosaur things.

Literally bought an Xbox One just to keep playing Titanfall 1 after the playerbase on PC became too small and hardcore. The playerbase isn't huge on Xbox and most modes except standard are dead but I like the game too much, it's up there with Dishonored/Bloodborne/Unreal Tournament as GOAT imo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm reinstalling!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SUNKOS posted:

Literally bought an Xbox One just to keep playing Titanfall 1 after the playerbase on PC became too small and hardcore. The playerbase isn't huge on Xbox and most modes except standard are dead but I like the game too much, it's up there with Dishonored/Bloodborne/Unreal Tournament as GOAT imo.

I'd do the same but I can't fathom Titanfall on a controller, but I do really miss how god drat strong Titans felt against Pilots in TF1. In TF2 they just melt away when facing Anti-Titan weapons, it's bothered me since release. Also RIP the Arc Cannon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've been matchmaking only Attrition and am having a lot more fun. I swung on my grapple and dropped down to kick a pilot's head in and it ruled lol.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Blind Duke posted:

Designer interviews around launch stated they wanted maps designed around general lanes of conflict instead of the swiss cheese of paths everywhere like in 1

There were a lot of media and design choice weirdness around the launch of 2, even outside of the launch window. It's a cockiness that you see in how Apex was launched.

Apex was launched the way it was because if they announced it ahead of time, it would have got lovely press as another MTX filled battle royale copycat and would have been doa. I wouldnt call it cockiness, it was a very smart launch.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

sigher posted:

I'd do the same but I can't fathom Titanfall on a controller, but I do really miss how god drat strong Titans felt against Pilots in TF1. In TF2 they just melt away when facing Anti-Titan weapons, it's bothered me since release. Also RIP the Arc Cannon.

If titans were stronger versus pilots it'd be unbalanced. I've sat in Ion/Northstar/Monarch titans almost all game in 15 minute attrition matches.

I just wish that more of the anti-titan weapons centered around good aim. As it stands only the charge rifle really rewards aim. Archer is lock-on, MGL is spam in the general direction of, Thunderbolt is just lazy spam a lane.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Smart launch, but it's a shame Apex sucks dick.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Apex is one of the best fps on the market regardless of how disappointing not getting Titanfall 3 any time soon is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Might be a terrible idea but I can't help but wonder how awesome Apex would be if crates contained loot to call down titans. Actually seeing them wandering the environments and teams getting different ones to call down would be fun, but then they'd have to add in a lot more cover or it would probably be totally broken.