Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Grouchio posted:

Why won't Druckmann get any retribution for this? Will he simply be able to get away with this because Metacritic gave him a 94??

It sounds like you want revenge, didn't you learn anything from his masterpiece The Last Of Us Part Two??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

The biggest issue I see is that you can't have a critical opinion of this since it was seemingly set up to be polarizing on purpose. Maybe for marketing idk.

People hating it are too caught up on the murder of a character and who seems to represent certain figures in culture currently, and the ones defending it don't seem to be interested in the depth of the storyline or characters and shrug it off like, why you mad bro *smug*. Does this game even represent ideals that people are happy with? If you hate it than you must hate LGBTQ+ culture, if you like it you feel it represents the LGBTQ+ culture well? I don't get it. What happened to not liking something because the story is just lame? What does this game do well like the first one did? Do people just like massive amounts of murder? idk anymore

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey guys check this out. Zombies traditionally eat brains. The Fireflies wanted to cut open Ellie's head and use her brain to find a cure. Maybe humans...are the real zombies???

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
NYTimes and Wapo and Guardian have been trying to get into games reviews, it's not their core competency and I wouldn't put any weight into their opinions.

Skillup, Kotaku, Polygon and Vice have been downright negative/mixed about this game, either the game really isn't that good, or Naughty Dog hasn't been bribing them enough.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i could see it being another ghostbusters 2016 situation, where the organic upswell of chud, anti-sjw outrage was stoked up intentionally by marketing to distract from the legitimate criticism of the quality of the product.

the story being one big 'ah perhaps the people who punch nazis are in fact the nazis themselves?' :smug: bullshit thing was never going to land well at this particular moment in history either.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Utnayan posted:

Yep from everything I have heard Amy Hennig is one of the best, great to work with, and very very talented. Neil Druckmann didn't like her having more talent, and so he decided to get rid of her. Neil Druckmann is not only a cancer to the game industry, but he is also a hypocrite in everything he says he supports - because for someone who keeps shouting to the masses about women's rights in the work place, he didn't give two iotas about that when Amy Hennig had more power via talent than he did. And that got in the way of his agenda. Any other covers for him were because the industry can black list you with the drop of a hat and they all needed their jobs so they covered for Druckmann.

After this mess though, I doubt anyone cares about working there any longer. And quite honestly they can get better paying jobs with less stress elsewhere anyway.

At least Neil got his Hollywood shot though, and took an advanced bonus on TLOU2 after the delay and then told his employees nope! No soup for you.

Grouchio posted:

Why won't Druckmann get any retribution for this? Will he simply be able to get away with this because Metacritic gave him a 94??

can goons please start sourcing their quotes tia

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im concerned about the quality of the product "ghostbusters film"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

uvar posted:

It sounds like you want revenge, didn't you learn anything from his masterpiece The Last Of Us Part Two??

Yeah if you get revenge, you get to walk away intact and with at least someone with you, if you forgive, you end up fingerless and friendless

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Miching Mallecho posted:

Now that I’m thinking on it, why wouldn’t Joel be using a different name.

Like just tell Tommy, “brother, I’m going to need to be called John from now on because I killed a lot of people and they thought Ellie’s brain would have the cure for the fungus and who knows if someone might be looking for me”

I'm really not watching footage of the game, but Joel seems to be a completely different character in this game wearing the face of TLOU1 Joel

Apparently he's super trusting now
Super religious which I don't really remember being A Thing
Uses his name a lot
His frame is thinner compared to the first games model (just saw in a passing screenshot comparison, might be wrong)

There's probably more that I'll never discover unless told about it but it all sounds kind of weird

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[to the guy taking tickets at the amc] sir... sir. Sir. please, can you tell me about the Product. how is the quality? i would like to know if it meets standards before i pay full price for this Childrens Film.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm really not watching footage of the game, but Joel seems to be a completely different character in this game wearing the face of TLOU1 Joel

Uses his name a lot
His frame is thinner compared to the first games model (just saw in a passing screenshot comparison, might be wrong)

There's probably more that I'll never discover unless told about it but it all sounds kind of weird

I mean on the face of it that doesn't seem completely inexplicable, he's lived the good life in a stable community for a few years, he probably would have softened compared to when he was a smuggler/slumlord in a police state.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i dislike this man rather intensely

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Oxxidation posted:

i dislike this man rather intensely

Love that passion! :swoon:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

this is actually pretty funny

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why is Druckmann trying to play puppetmaster

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey all,

The number of reports + probations coming out of this thread recently is becoming a rather large eyebrow raising concern for the mod team.
So for the moment I'm going to cut the difference and give the entire thread a time out for half a day so you can have a think about the quality of posting that's coming out of this thread; and if you're part of the problem.

I would highly advice not taking TLOU2 spoiler chat elsewhere for the interim.

Please don't make me gas this thread once it reopens, and I would ask that you continue to report problematic posts so they can be brought to the mod teams attention.

Thank you,
Inf

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And we're back.

I would really appreciate it if I didn't have to come back into this thread and start handing out probations.

Thank you.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 20, 2020

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Uses his name a lot

He's older because the game takes place years after the first game

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I suppose this is the proper place to say that it is interesting as people start playing to hear some players balk at the “alt-righters” complaints about the game and then mention they are like 3 hours in.

I mean you might still have a lot of fun but at least wait until you finally understand the difference between the alt right complaints and the other complaints

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like the idea of this thread because I'm not going to play an action game on the PS4, but I wanted to hear some discussion about the game because it's a major release that'll influence the industry.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Zongerian posted:

He's older because the game takes place years after the first game

But it’s like four years though and there’s not even a hint that maybe he settled down with someone or anything else of his life at the settlement.

It’s sad that the town wasn’t in an uproar when Joel was murdered. I wonder if Joel was disliked and only had his brother and Ellie as emotional support. :smith:

I wonder if they’ll make dlc showing the settlement life

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Depressing in a meta sense, the world of Last of Us is one where Jak and Daxter continued being a popular franchise well into the twilight years of the PS3 instead of being brushed aside, and society still managed to collapse.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
I like this thread because a lot of the ideas in the game seem comedically misguided and I would like to have space to laugh at how awkward and poorly considered a big budget video game sex scene (inherently) is without people being misogynistic or transphobic about it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I like this thread because a lot of the ideas in the game seem comedically misguided and I would like to have space to laugh at how awkward and poorly considered a big budget video game sex scene (inherently) is without people being misogynistic or transphobic about it.

I'm glad to have a space for that, and I hope no one tries to bait by implying people who don't think the game is appealing are misogynist or transphobic

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Miching Mallecho posted:

But it’s like four years though and there’s not even a hint that maybe he settled down with someone or anything else of his life at the settlement.

It’s sad that the town wasn’t in an uproar when Joel was murdered. I wonder if Joel was disliked and only had his brother and Ellie as emotional support. :smith:

Miching Mallecho posted:

I'd rather the game was about settlement life and trying to improve it, honestly. Bonding with the characters in the settlement as you improve and expand and help refugees join the community.

What I'm saying is that I want Tommy to be the protagonist of either the DLC or The Last of Us 3.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One of the things i'll say is that the combat in the context of the more open areas is piss-easy. Honestly even in the setpieces they really don't pressure you very well. Giving the player a lot of ways to approach a combat is nice and all but it also means it's pretty trivial to win. I think it might've been a bit better to have the side areas in seattle be more like the bank than 'here have some free stuff' but i get trying to keep the tension low before you come across the WLF for real.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

It's more that Joseph Anderson is one of the best long form video game analysis dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4DJbvO84I&t=6877s

For example his Last of Us review.

He's no Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

Anderson has a real big problem with length = quality. So many of his videos could be cut in half and still deliver.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd rather the game was about settlement life and trying to improve it, honestly. Bonding with the characters in the settlement as you improve and expand and help refugees join the community.

What I'm saying is that I want Tommy to be the protagonist of either the DLC or The Last of Us 3.

People made that game, I think, it used the Decima Engine IIRC, and even had Kojima involved.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If only I had the skill, capital, and willpower to make my dream game; a post post apocalyptic communist revolution game set in Pittsburgh; third time's the charm in doing that right?

And while it's not like what you are describing, that's in a lot of ways why I like Fallout New Vegas a lot lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

He's no Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

Anderson has a real big problem with length = quality. So many of his videos could be cut in half and still deliver.

I lose a lot of respect for Anderson once I watched his Fallout 4 reviews. Initial review was otay, a little overly generous and charitable imo, but fine. He came out with another F04 video like a year or two later and it was like triple the length of the original and the entire thing felt like someone with stockholme syndrome trying to slowly walk you through the paces and get you to love your hostages as much as he has come to. He gets stuck in this bizarre loop of "this game or mechanic is absolutely terrible, soulless, disrespectful of the players time and agency" type stuff but it's mashed up with this new FO4 self-abuse kink joseph anderson developed somewhere around hour 2,000 of playing FO4. Watching that video felt less like a long-form video essay and more like a call for help, but I don't know which busters or experts to call.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The settlement building zombie game is on the other console but its even less good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SIGSEGV posted:

People made that game, I think, it used the Decima Engine IIRC, and even had Kojima involved.

That game was also extremely up its own rear end and dumb, just in a different way.

Also playing through the game it's very much uh "you're bad for doing the only thing i let you do in the game(mass murder), isn't this bad and evil?" in the same way far cry 3, spec ops the line, etc are. They're all terrible because they can't do anything but the thing they're trying to poo poo on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hm spec ops owns though op and so does death stranding, sounds likea case of mad cos bad if i had to guess

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MOD EDIT: There was a misunderstanding here.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Miching Mallecho posted:

There's a scene after Joel's death where you go to his house and the front gate is covered in bouquets and little memorials, he was well liked but they explain that there's way too many infected and raiders around to defend the settlement properly if they send a whole force to kill Abby & friends

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Next person to post like a fuckwit earns a week.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Infinitum posted:

ArfJason posted:

everyone in this page should be permabanned ASAP.

only you can save them from themselveses.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

Being fair, that’s actually a pretty good summary of the synagogue scene. :v:

Dina has a monologue about coming from a family full of survivors. She directly compares the plague to the Inquisition and the Holocaust.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Being fair, that’s actually a pretty good summary of the synagogue scene. :v:

Dina has a monologue about coming from a family full of survivors. She directly compares the plague to the Inquisition and the Holocaust.

so you're saying we now we have proof that tlou2 is offensive enough to be probatable on the SA forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The synagogue sequence is not subtle, but i didn't mind it too much in its context- a really slow part at the beginning of Seattle.