Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

In Bioshock 2 there's a trophy called 9-Irony for using TK and a golf club to knock off the head of any Andrew Ryan animatronic at the amusement park.

This is itself a double reference, both to Ryan's fate and to the Bioshock 1 achievement Irony for taking a picture of Sander Cohen's corpse after fighting him.

In New Vegas you get an achievement called "A Man Chooses..." for killing Mister House with a golf club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That reminds me of the bit in the original Sam & Max where you can keep giving Sam infeasible commands and he'll go from the usual adventure game response of "That won't work" to "no really, that won't work" and eventually has a mental breakdown, for which Max chastises you.

In season 2 of Telltale's Sam & Max you visit a future version of Sam & Max. Future Sam is suffering from dementia and he'll keep saying those kind of lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feZ69w9MR-c&t=364s

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Jun 18, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Bayek's wide smile makes up for the grindy parts of Origins. Easily my favorite AC protagonist

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Strom Cuzewon posted:

AC3: Getting to the twist reveal about Haytham awards you "How D'Ya Like Them Apples?" and I love the audacity of the devs patting themselves on the back for their shock twist during their shock twist.

I know that at least two localized versions have it translated literally, which is even more hilarious.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

bony tony posted:

In New Vegas you get an achievement called "A Man Chooses..." for killing Mister House with a golf club.

It had "Even A God-king Can Bleed" for headshotting Caesar with a throwing spear; if you stabbed him to death you got "Historical Proprietry" instead. There's two Castlevania references in there too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In Nier: Automata there's a vendor where you can just buy achievements, which is cool because some of them are a pain to get. Anyway, the one for getting a million dollars costs a million dollars.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the Metal Gear Solid HD collection there's an achievement for hearing the codec conversation where Snake is jerkin' it to a pinup in the locker he's hiding in.

This achievement is named "Snake Beater".

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Thanks for this!

It definitely clarifies my feelings: the effort, love and attention to detail makes it more than the sum of its parts.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Disco elysium : i just made the most foul mouthed liverpuddlian twelve year old to ever exist a junior partner of mine,and in doing so probably turned his life around.

Gimme a grown up cuno cop sequel NOW!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mierenneuker posted:

In season 2 of Telltale's Sam & Max you visit a future version of Sam & Max. Future Sam is suffering from dementia and he'll keep saying those kind of lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feZ69w9MR-c&t=364s

Later in the very same episode (season 2, episode 4) Sam and Max need a recording contract for an NPC for some dumb reason. So they use the time machine to go back to Season 1, Episode 2 where they got a recording contract for some other NPC for some other dumb reason. In the end, past Sam and Max steal the time machine and go back to the present, where present Sam and Max arrive furious at having to relive the last year and a half of their lives all over again.

At that point past Sam and Max are just there on the ship, and you get to find out just how annoying you are to actually interact with. When you walk up to Past Sam to ask him questions, he will interrupt you and demand to ask you questions. Then he just stands there for a while trying to decide which question to ask. He ends up just constantly needling you to try to get you to give him something or tell him where to go next.

My favorite part, though, is that when he’s on the ship and not conversing with you, he wanders around and occasionally barks out some line about how something he has in his pockets won’t work on something in the spaceship. In particular, “I can’t shoot my future self!” The whole scenario is a great concept wonderfully executed.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Disco elysium : i just made the most foul mouthed liverpuddlian twelve year old to ever exist a junior partner of mine,and in doing so probably turned his life around.

Gimme a grown up cuno cop sequel NOW!

THE gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The stupidest (and somehow the one that I still remember after ten years) S&M gag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvbtcCpWf-w

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Gunpoint: At the end of the game you can admit that you probably killed more people than you were trying to avenge, and you get Acknowledged Ludonarrative Dissonance

That's also a trophy you can get in Uncharted 4 for killing 1000 enemies.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Bayek's wide smile makes up for the grindy parts of Origins. Easily my favorite AC protagonist

Even better now that you can bring his hair and beard back permanently. Second place to Kassandra.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

a kitten posted:

Anyway, the one for getting a million dollars costs a million dollars.

And people doubt videogames can be art :allears:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Death Stranding: Heartman is a sweetheart :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/uuOV8GF.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/j9hzJ3V.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/sINID6d.mp4

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i got a pinball machine a few months ago and just got around to replacing the lights in the coin doors. they synchronize with the multiball/extra ball/special light show :3:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

boar guy posted:

THE gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT T’ ENTERTAIN THE CUNO! F#%*+T!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fire Pro added a move editor.

It seems quite versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyPiYGHajM
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2134807641

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Since Outer Wilds has hit Steam I double-dipped because it's sofa-king good.
  • The game has the "precursor race" trope only instead of being esoteric dead people we get a picture of genuine warmth. They joke and flirt and cheer with one another. They work towards a common goal with an understandable motive. Some have reservations about how they achieve their ends, and they try not to deprive future generations of resources.

• The story isn't incomprehensible. It's not a vague metaphorical indie-game. Everything makes sense. There's a linear cause-and-effect narrative broken up into a hundred non-linear parts. Think less 2001, more Arrival. Every big dumb object serves a purpose.

• Progression is like a pseudo open-world/metroidvania. Your only progress is intel found and your own knowledge of how the rules work. You don't get a double-jump to scale the high ledge but you do learn the secret-handshake.

• Unlike Subanutica it does a more grounded version of fast-travel that is mostly optional and doesn't exist for the player's convenience, and makes sense given the story told.

• Instead of having a checklist of chores you get a board full of rumors connected by string as if you're a conspiracy theorist.

• It's loving scary but it's not a horror game. All the scary stuff happens as a byproduct. Nothing has a personal vendetta against, there are no villains, but the universe does not play favorites. You can cast adrift from your ship and spiral hopelessly into space, you can get crushed by the sands that fill the dark tunnel you're exploring, you can make a noise in Dark Bramble and face the consequences.

• Despite the terror there is also warmth. The characters are good-natured salt-of-the-planet explorers who pack their instruments on their space trip. The OST of the game hammers home the sense of adventure, fear, mystery, and melancholy there is on offer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpkc-NU1KA0

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Jun 19, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Last of Us Part 2

Try clicking this, mobile viewers!

https://youtu.be/wHwyca7gu7E?t=31

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
LMAO thanks to a TLOU speedrunner I follow, I just learned of an incredibly silly thing you can do in The Last Of Us 2, when the game puts you in an encounter with both humans and infected. If you sneak up behind a human enemy you can grab 'em and take 'em hostage just like in the first game. If you make a noise, the infected will come running at you, but then they'll grab the hostage from you and start chowing down on them instead!

Seen in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuTI0LCbFW8&t=40s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Hardspace: Shipbreaker which is a game where you're salvaging space ships in zero-G. Normally you're supposed to slowly and methodically take ships apart and put the pieces in the correct hoppers to advance your career and pay off your debt. However there is also a Free Play mode that lets you screw around without consequences and in that mode it is fun to see how all the systems interact when you screw up. Like letting a reactor go critical or using your cutting torch on a fuel line and watching the whole ship just blow up into tiny pieces.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Speaking of Hardspace: Shipbreaker, I mentioned this in another thread, but in it you have a grapple beam that you can retract while holding something, if it's small you pull it towards yourself if it's big you get pulled towards it.

While being taught to use it I pulled an antenna off a ship and pulled towards me, it turns out the game runs on the rear end in a top hat version of space physics because the antenna hit me so hard it smashed my helmet and I suffocated, a whole thirty seconds into the tutorial.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Playing Hardspace: Shipbreaker which is a game where you're salvaging space ships in zero-G. Normally you're supposed to slowly and methodically take ships apart and put the pieces in the correct hoppers to advance your career and pay off your debt. However there is also a Free Play mode that lets you screw around without consequences and in that mode it is fun to see how all the systems interact when you screw up. Like letting a reactor go critical or using your cutting torch on a fuel line and watching the whole ship just blow up into tiny pieces.

Yeah, the destruction from explosions in that game is incredibly detailed and pretty, to the point where it's almost a shame you're sort of supposed not to blow things up. Though I have on occasion blown up a secondary fuel tank to dislodge the external hull more quickly. :sallears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

loving up is weirdly fun in this game. Also I think the damage model is a little weird. I've blown up at least two fuel tanks that I was right next to and some how gotten away unscathed, but one time I cut the end-cap of an engine free without depressurising the ship first which lead to it flying super-fast into my face (which was loving hilarious) cracking my helmet open leading me to die of asphyxiation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I love getting zapped in the head by electricity and your radio starts playing music.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The Animus Control Panel in Assassin's Creed: Origins is so great.

Don't want to play the open world game the way the developers intended? Sure, do whatever.

Got to a certain point and want to just power through the rest of the story without needing to worry about dying? Or get collectibles more easily? Just make it easier, or up your move speed, or do whatever.

It's just really neat and fun to change things up and tbh pretty refreshing and a nice throwback to the era of games with built in cheat codes or easily edited ini files. No need for cheat engine or anything like that.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The Animus Control Panel in Assassin's Creed: Origins is so great.

Don't want to play the open world game the way the developers intended? Sure, do whatever.

Got to a certain point and want to just power through the rest of the story without needing to worry about dying? Or get collectibles more easily? Just make it easier, or up your move speed, or do whatever.

It's just really neat and fun to change things up and tbh pretty refreshing and a nice throwback to the era of games with built in cheat codes or easily edited ini files. No need for cheat engine or anything like that.

Aww I was wondering how to access this but it's PC only (I'm playing Origins on PS4). To contribute a little thing: I'm pretty sure that Senu (the eagle) just randomly hunted and killed a flamingo. Also she comes and sits on your arm of you stand still for a bit. I love that they bothered to add so much detail to what is essentially a scanning mechanic

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grinnard posted:

To contribute a little thing: I'm pretty sure that Senu (the eagle) just randomly hunted and killed a flamingo.

Oh lol, I was out hunting and a dead flamingo suddenly fell out of the sky. I've been wondering about that for the last week or so, I thought it was a weird glitch but that makes sense.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Senu will definitely hunt random animals for you on occasion. Also he's just an insanely gorgeous bird.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Sometimes when you're aiming at wild animals, a different kind of marker will be put on them which means Senu is going in for the kill. I can't remember if it does that randomly as well but its a very neat mechanic nonetheless.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

grinnard posted:

Aww I was wondering how to access this but it's PC only (I'm playing Origins on PS4). To contribute a little thing: I'm pretty sure that Senu (the eagle) just randomly hunted and killed a flamingo. Also she comes and sits on your arm of you stand still for a bit. I love that they bothered to add so much detail to what is essentially a scanning mechanic

You can also see Senu flying above you sometimes when you're just travelling around, if you look up, which is neat.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think Senu just kills an animal whenever you do. She wants to be involved!

(Unlike some other birds I could mention, who are essentially living drones.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Reported for mod sass

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh no I was referring to Ikaros.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Rage 2: I'm still getting used to the controls and mechanics but once in a while it clicks and it clicks good

https://i.imgur.com/oZTUyE7.mp4

also

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Debunk This! posted:

Senu will definitely hunt random animals for you on occasion. Also he's just an insanely gorgeous bird.

Is Bayek wearing leopard print fabric in that screenshot?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Bayek wearing leopard print fabric in that screenshot?

It does look like that for some reason. I took that pic a long time ago so I can't check exactly which outfit it is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pulsarcat posted:

Speaking of Hardspace: Shipbreaker, I mentioned this in another thread, but in it you have a grapple beam that you can retract while holding something, if it's small you pull it towards yourself if it's big you get pulled towards it.

While being taught to use it I pulled an antenna off a ship and pulled towards me, it turns out the game runs on the rear end in a top hat version of space physics because the antenna hit me so hard it smashed my helmet and I suffocated, a whole thirty seconds into the tutorial.

For me it was using the grappler like spiderman, overestimating my brake thrusters, and hitting my hab faceplate first :frogdunce: