Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BiggerBoat posted:

We didn't used to be all bad.

yes we did

america was never great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Every single step of the way from lovely America to shittiest America has been loving writ large across the sky in smartbombs, drones, and terrible legislation and this maudlin weepy nostalgia for your rosetinted recollections of "good" America is cringy as hell.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

America sounds great on paper. A land where many cultures can combine to make a unique place. A home where anyone can be successful, where people can be free and happy.

But that promise has never been true. We've only, at best, made it halfway at the height.

I want it to be true. I want my country to live up to the ideals it says it holds.

I want us to be better, but we haven't been.

J.A.B.C. has issued a correction as of 08:09 on Jun 20, 2020

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
:qq: what happened to mah country :qq:

pfffthahahahaahahahahahaha

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

The right wing has co-opted the flag, the Bible and almost everything else that might have stood for something good and just in this country at one point another. We've lost our collective minds.

i'm probably more sympathetic than most in this forum w/r/t hoping america can progress towards actually living up to the ideals it claims for itself, but getting there is a slog we probably won't live to see.

the past can seem better if the bad people believing and doing bad poo poo were less visible, or were successfully mythologized into something heroic. cops didn't start beating black ppl the day cameraphones were invented. facing bad realities and working to change things for the better is a necessary part of progress, but in the short term it feels like everything is worse.

trump is a freak show but the people who love him were lovely before trump. the right-wing was coopting the flag and the bible for decades, notably during the GW Bush administration after 9/11. they mocked kerry's purple heart with bandaids at the RNC and changed french fries to freedom fries. US troops took smiling selfies with naked abu ghraib prisoners as they were attacked by dogs and piled in human pyramids. we waterboarded people in guantanamo and kept them locked up for years without a trial.

nixon sabotaged peace talks in vietnam in order to help get elected, and reagan did the same with the iranian hostages. nixon started the southern strategy; reagan continued it. nixon's people are on record admitting that the "war on drugs" was just a convenient way to throw minorities and hippies in jail. reagan and his staff joked and giggled when a reporter asked for comment about an ominous new mystery disease affecting gay men. these were not, on the whole, good people.

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly think we're finished and am utterly terrified right now. I have a 9 year old boy and can offer him no hope beyond teaching him kindness. Who's gonna lead us out of this? Joe Biden? Donald Trump? Assuming we even have an election.

This is really bad.

there's nobody who can become president and magically lead us out any more than electing obama didn't magically fix racism. however, voting trump out of office will take some of his shittiest and cruelest policy goals off the table. it's not sufficient but it is necessary.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
is the dog in ur av a confederate

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The nice thing about the United States is that it continues all the horrible things human have done, but strips out all honour, and all glory, the skin and guts, and leaves nothing but the skeleton.

The screaming hypocritical corpse on twitter that will never appear in any high school history book, but be passed around and laughed at.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 09:06 on Jun 20, 2020

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Time for all the people in this thread weeping about America to pick up a copy of A People's History of America by Zinn. That should help get you sorted out.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

fits my needs posted:

is the dog in ur av a confederate

yes, it’s a cretinous seaman from dixie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Senf posted:

Yes. Big time. I mean, also totally anecdotal, but I’ve almost been hit several times in the last week alone. No clue what it is, if it’s even anything at all.

The council recently installed a zebra crossing outside my local supermarket where pedestrians have the right of way and cars have to stop and let them cross and it's been particularly fraught with danger these last few weeks. Luckily I'm already paranoid about stepping out into traffic because there's been several times recently that a car has SCREECHED to a halt at the last second because they hadn't bothered to check whether anyone was crossing.

They always look super pissed about being mildly inconvenienced as well, but so far none of them have been dumb enough to say anything. :v:

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

But that promise has never been true. We've only, at best, made it halfway at the height.

I want it to be true. I want my country to live up to the ideals it says it holds.

I want us to be better, but we haven't been.

"the last and greatest betrayal of the last and greatest of human dreams," as Burroughs put it.

https://youtu.be/sLSveRGmpIE

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The evil empire is collapsing. Oh no!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Anecdotal observation and may have to do with where I live but has anyone else noticed a lot more aggressive drivers than usual over the last month or two?

I'm catching a LOT of Big Trucks with Loud Exhausts and Big Tires loving FLYING down my streets here. There seems to be a lot of anger expressed on the road. Even more than usual.

I saw one of these trucks pull up next to a sports car on the parkway here and roll coal into the open drivers window last weekend. People are just assholes and take any opportunity they can to be assholes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The beauty of America is people carving out new freedom from the racist power structure. The story of how we went from only white landowning males being able to vote to the not perfect but definitely better way it is now stuff like that gives me hope.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The beauty of America is people carving out new freedom from the racist power structure. The story of how we went from only white landowning males being able to vote to the not perfect but definitely better way it is now stuff like that gives me hope.

Nope, its all irrelevant bullshit!

Now become a nihlistic anarchist and start Twitter threads about how society was a mistake and it all needs to be flushed down the tubes!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

Nope, its all irrelevant bullshit!

Now become a nihlistic anarchist and start Twitter threads about how society was a mistake and it all needs to be flushed down the tubes!

The reason lawns are all grass is because in the fifties a pesticide company had a weedkiller that also killed clover, which was a large part of lawns, and marketed grass only lawns as being better.

All of the little victories in the US (the world really but I digress) weren't a result of eliminated an existing structure that caused violence and genocide as a matter of being, but by expanding the definition of the protected class somewhat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I get wanting everything to become the right way now now now, but that's not how it works. Our society creaks forward, painful step after painful step. The machine only moves faster when the gears are oiled with blood and honestly I'd rather have incrementalism than a bunch of people dead. It's not perfect, its progress is not linear, but America has a potential and a potentiality that should inspire hope.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tashilicious posted:

The reason lawns are all grass is because in the fifties a pesticide company had a weedkiller that also killed clover, which was a large part of lawns, and marketed grass only lawns as being better.

All of the little victories in the US (the world really but I digress) weren't a result of eliminated an existing structure that caused violence and genocide as a matter of being, but by expanding the definition of the protected class somewhat.

Everything you have ever said and done is racist or perpetuates the class warfare somehow. Even reading a book or waking up in the morning is either a secret racial slurs or cultural appropriation of some kind.

Once you accept that it becomes much easier to just not give a poo poo anymore.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

Anecdotal observation and may have to do with where I live but has anyone else noticed a lot more aggressive drivers than usual over the last month or two?

I'm catching a LOT of Big Trucks with Loud Exhausts and Big Tires loving FLYING down my streets here. There seems to be a lot of anger expressed on the road. Even more than usual.

I swear I hate...HATE...how much I find myself feeling prejudice for any car, truck or home I see that flies our nation's flag and I'm not sure not to make of it.

Any time I see someone going out of their way to fly our flag, it scares me and I HATE automatically assuming that those people must suck but I do.

What the gently caress is going on? I can't seem to identify with anyone anymore.

So very depressing.

Publicly displaying the flag there's a 100% chance they're a piece of poo poo CHUD

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
you really get sense of how weird and jingoistic it is when you go to other countries and their flag isn't considered some kind of fashion piece, except by a select few crazy people

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Or when children aren't swearing loyalty oaths to it before they even have the vocabulary to understand what they're reciting.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

BigDave posted:

Everything you have ever said and done is racist or perpetuates the class warfare somehow. Even reading a book or waking up in the morning is either a secret racial slurs or cultural appropriation of some kind.

Once you accept that it becomes much easier to just not give a poo poo anymore.

I see someone has read white fragility.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I get wanting everything to become the right way now now now, but that's not how it works. Our society creaks forward, painful step after painful step. The machine only moves faster when the gears are oiled with blood and honestly I'd rather have incrementalism than a bunch of people dead. It's not perfect, its progress is not linear, but America has a potential and a potentiality that should inspire hope.
Love to set the timetable for another man's freedom.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

miniscule12 posted:

I see someone has read white fragility.

And a bunch of Ta-Nehisi Coates.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wizzardstaff posted:

Or when children aren't swearing loyalty oaths to it before they even have the vocabulary to understand what they're reciting.

or doing performative poo poo like lying under a flag to make sure it doesnt touch the ground lmao

https://www.fox23.com/news/trending-now/student-lies-under-flag-to-make-sure-it-doesnt-touch-the-ground/840136162/

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

saying this means you’re able to say this, ie you’re not one of bunches of people already dying

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I hate America unironically.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1274355082402955269

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like I said, I've got my calendar marked for 21 days from now when there's gonna be some primo material by my estimation

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's been fun lately, thinking about how if Hillary had won odds are it'd be somebody else making this thread except with her instead of Trump in the title, since her response would've been the same as Trump's only with like 80% of the states refuse to do anything from day 1 because it was an evil baby killing Dem proposing it. I hope that I would've had my post-11/9 crack ping moment and I wouldn't be one of the ones highlighted here

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Goddamn, looking forward to Death Rally 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sure, I can hear the screaming coming from the front of the queue and I can see the blood spatters in the air, but all my friends are going sooo

Absolutely loving hopeless. Nothing can save these people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Epic High Five posted:

It's been fun lately, thinking about how if Hillary had won odds are it'd be somebody else making this thread except with her instead of Trump in the title, since her response would've been the same as Trump's only with like 80% of the states refuse to do anything from day 1 because it was an evil baby killing Dem proposing it. I hope that I would've had my post-11/9 crack ping moment and I wouldn't be one of the ones highlighted here

No, I believe you'd find that the "liberal media" would be bending over backwards to gush about what a great job she had done.

Right now they're just picking on Donald like they always do. You know. By reporting the things he says and does.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Stoatbringer posted:

So, he’s still talking no responsibility at all?

It amazes me that a President who has been filmed saying he takes no responsibility is just OK fine and dandy with conservatives, the party of Personal Responsibility.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Arkage posted:

It amazes me that a President who has been filmed saying he takes no responsibility is just OK fine and dandy with conservatives, the party of Personal Responsibility.

just like "how will you pay for it", "personal responsibility" a tactic to avoid doing whatever policy you wanted to implement

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I've been saying for months that I yearn for chud death, and king piss is coming through for me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Epic High Five posted:

11/9 was such a deliciously appropriate date

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

11/9 was such a deliciously appropriate date

in retrospect,

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/20/politics/trump-campaign-staffers/index.html

Six Trump campaign staffers working on Tulsa rally test positive for coronavirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess trump deliberately killing as many of his supporters as he can makes me like him more than biden. certainly not enough to vote for or support him in any way, but it's something.