Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Stux posted:

nope in the first game joel is unambiguously the bad guy unless you specifically have a need to have the guy you played as be the good guy

That's what the game tried really hard to do, but it hosed up in such a way that it redeemed Joel entirely with each and every firefly it made him kill. Because it's written in such a way as to defeat itself in a way visible to someone who was playing the game with a kitchen timer running to go pick up their laundry in the machine immediately afterward.

I 100% get that that is what the game tried to say, that's why it's so loving funny. Because it was all serious and stuff and fell on its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

lurker2006 posted:

It's funny to me that after all this time, and in their studio's magnum opus they still can't avoid this cliche, it's the same thing as in uncharted 3 when Drake inexplicably goes out of his way to save the main villain after just murdering hundreds of her goons, at least in that one she still died.

SIGSEGV posted:

That's what the game tried really hard to do, but it hosed up in such a way that it redeemed Joel entirely with each and every firefly it made him kill. Because it's written in such a way as to defeat itself in a way visible to someone who was playing the game with a kitchen timer running to go pick up their laundry in the machine immediately afterward.

I 100% get that that is what the game tried to say, that's why it's so loving funny. Because it was all serious and stuff and fell on its face.

Totally correct views. The story is literally incompatible with the storytelling. Druckmann was so desperate to make his "ha ha the guy you played as last game is the real bad guy" work that more people empathize rightfully with his "bad guy".

And you get people literally melting down going "JOELS THE BAD GUY, THE UNNAMED NPCS THAT WOULD KILL HIM UNPROMPTED AND THE STORY VILLAINS WITH MOTIVATIONS THAT ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO REALIZE ARE IN THE RIGHT, VIDEO GAMES ARE ART, JOEL IS BAD JOEL IS BAD!" make themselves look like clowns every time they defend it seemingly out of self delusion and spite.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah they touch on Joel's lovely past with Ellie and also his brother at the dam who says he still has nightmares about what they did, but the game also pushes a narrative that Joel is changing/growing as a person. That's why he changes his mind about ditching Ellie and wants to take care of her and does all that he does. He still has the nasty side (torturing those guys in Winter to find where Ellie is) but then shortly after is stopping Ellie from doing an equally horrific act. They show that slowly, he's coming back around because of Ellie.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

last time you did this argument you got multiple things directly wrong about what happened in the game so maybe u shouldve spent less time on the laundry

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Stux posted:

nope in the first game joel is unambiguously the bad guy unless you specifically have a need to have the guy you played as be the good guy
I don't necessarily disagree, I find the way it's framed kind of weird, or at least the way some people react to it. If people were lamenting that Joel can't take the blinders of traditional morality off I'd understand, but they're acting like a guy deciding that he's not going to let his daughter get sacrificed without even a say is some sort of maladapted sociopath in that instance.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 20, 2020

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Stux posted:

last time you did this argument you got multiple things directly wrong about what happened in the game so maybe u shouldve spent less time on the laundry

Link me to the last time we had this argument because I have no idea who you are and if I've ever communicated with you before today.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lurker2006 posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, I find the way it's framed is kind of weird. or at least the way some people react to it. If people were lamenting that Joel can't take the blinders of traditional morality off I'd understand, but they're acting like a guy deciding that he's not going to let his daughter get sacrificed without even a say is some sort maladapted sociopath in that instance.

he not only does it believing himself that they will find a cure he does it without giving ellie any say, and in such a final way she never can. thats why in 1 he is the bad guy. none of this is complicated, the game is very simple.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lovely Wizard posted:

Link me to the last time we had this argument because I have no idea who you are and if I've ever communicated with you before today.

read what i said its clearly not at u no one should be surprised the trump guy feels the violent dude was vindicated

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Stux posted:

read what i said its clearly not at u no one should be surprised the trump guy feels the violent dude was vindicated

"last time you did this argument you got multiple things directly wrong about what happened in the game so maybe u shouldve spent less time on the laundry"

This sounds like you're referencing specific events. Maybe in your head you've created a scenario where I lost an argument with you and I bailed by saying I had to do laundry, so if you want to keep saying dumb poo poo ill keep asking for a followup or elaboration on your dumb poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the guy who posted before you was talking about doing laundry im clearly replying to him

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

No, he's talking about me, he still thinks the text of the game supports Joel being wrong, which is made funnier by the text of the new game supporting even further than the previous one that Joel was right, by showing the the firefly surgeon was even more of a witless idiot.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

lovely Wizard posted:

blah blah blah I'm a Nazi

Go away, Nazi

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's totally the bad guy, but also I don't care about any of these people and actively cheer their deaths, so maybe he's the good guy?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Joel walking away from Ellie because she's not his problem is what the Joel at the start of the game would've done. Joel caring enough about Ellie to do what he does at the end is growth for him.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Stux posted:

the guy who posted before you was talking about doing laundry im clearly replying to him

Use quotes next time, I apologize in this specific instance though.

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

Zeta Acosta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCwNPYIQym0

The doctor was an rear end in a top hat who fights Marlene over her concerns of "hey maybe we dont butcher this girl". The dilemma of the first game is nullified by something that they themselves wrote.

the_henchman's_wife.mp4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SIGSEGV posted:

No, he's talking about me, he still thinks the text of the game supports Joel being wrong, which is made funnier by the text of the new game supporting even further than the previous one that Joel was right, by showing the the firefly surgeon was even more of a witless idiot.

the text of the first game does support that i have no idea what the second one says and its not relevant

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eimi posted:

Joel walking away from Ellie because she's not his problem is what the Joel at the start of the game would've done. Joel caring enough about Ellie to do what he does at the end is growth for him.

u missed the final step on that growth which is beyond caring and into full control mode

lovely Wizard posted:

Use quotes next time, I apologize in this specific instance though.

no, stop posting nazi

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Stux posted:

no, stop posting nazi

I'm not posting any Nazis though, and I'm not a Nazi incase you meant "No. Stop posting, Nazi."

This is going to be my only post on the subject because I don't want to derail the thread more than you have. :)

Flesnolk posted:

Go away, Nazi

Refer to above text.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you are a nazi

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stux posted:

hm spec ops owns though op and so does death stranding, sounds likea case of mad cos bad if i had to guess

I thought you haven't played death stranding yet so how can you possibly comment on it???????

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Eimi posted:

I also don't buy the other narrative that Joel was a controlling helicopter dad. If he were that he would have tied Ellie up in a basement the second Tommy offered him a place in Jackson. The conversation he and Ellie had about her not having to go through with it to me implied that he was aware of the possibility that she might have to stay with the fireflies long term.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I thought you haven't played death stranding yet so how can you possibly comment on it???????

its goty op

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Eimi posted:

Yeah, he has a whole character development arc. The whole point of him lying at the end of the game is because he's grown as a person and would rather risk her hating him than her losing her life pointlessly. He's putting her before himself.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this game's ending falls flat on its face gta iv feels like a way better execution of this idea if you end up killing darko.

niko spent an entire decade hunting this dude and killed hundreds to get to him. you kill him and niko says to himself that he feels empty at the end of it. he's become a broken man. in essence, he's no different from darko who sold out his mates for money as niko ends up betraying everyone he worked with in LC for money and becomes the very thing he's been hunting this whole time. that to me is way more poignant than ellie sparing abby and lev at the end.
Niko doesn't really betray anyone for money if you choose the deal option at the end (which is a separate choice from the Darko thing). The deal is supposed to be this one last thing he does before going straight, and while I don't remember off the top of my head if he explicitly says he's doing it to help out Roman (who is about to get married and has a kid on the way), that definitely was a factor in my choice and gives him a solid reason to choose the deal instead of chasing after pointless revenge yet again. The only one who complains is Kate, who thinks Niko is abandoning his principles by choosing to work with Dimitri instead of killing him.

Regardless of how you dealt with Darko, going for revenge at this point doesn't seem to make much sense at this point. If you killed Darko, Niko knows revenge isn't going to make him feel any better, and if you spared Darko... well, if you spared the traitor you've been hunting for a decade, why would you bother killing this other dude for betraying you?

Of course, the deal is a trap, Dimitri ends up betraying Niko again and Roman ends up dead, so you end up taking revenge on him anyway. I feel that works better and makes for a more dramatic climax than just going for revenge in the first place.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This guy everyone is calling a Nazi doesn’t seem to be talking politics ITT; seems unfair to shout him down over fairly reasonable posts (at least by the standards of this thread).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

General Dog posted:

This guy everyone is calling a Nazi doesn’t seem to be talking politics ITT; seems unfair to shout him down over fairly reasonable posts (at least by the standards of this thread).

it isnt

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Doc M posted:

Niko doesn't really betray anyone for money if you choose the deal option at the end (which is a separate choice from the Darko thing). The deal is supposed to be this one last thing he does before going straight, and while I don't remember off the top of my head if he explicitly says he's doing it to help out Roman (who is about to get married and has a kid on the way), that definitely was a factor in my choice and gives him a solid reason to choose the deal instead of chasing after pointless revenge yet again. The only one who complains is Kate, who thinks Niko is abandoning his principles by choosing to work with Dimitri instead of killing him.

Regardless of how you dealt with Darko, going for revenge at this point doesn't seem to make much sense at this point. If you killed Darko, Niko knows revenge isn't going to make him feel any better, and if you spared Darko... well, if you spared the traitor you've been hunting for a decade, why would you bother killing this other dude for betraying you?

Of course, the deal is a trap, Dimitri ends up betraying Niko again and Roman ends up dead, so you end up taking revenge on him anyway. I feel that works better and makes for a more dramatic climax than just going for revenge in the first place.

Isn't Darko also a drug addict who's suffering from heroine addiction and PTSD over betraying his whole squad? I even looked it up on youtube, and he thanks you if you kill him, so letting him live isn't necessarily a revenge thing, it might just be that death would be a mercy thing and to let him just linger in suffering till he finally kills himself.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

lovely Wizard posted:

Isn't Darko also a drug addict who's suffering from heroine addiction and PTSD over betraying his whole squad? I even looked it up on youtube, and he thanks you if you kill him, so letting him live isn't necessarily a revenge thing, it might just be that death would be a mercy thing and to let him just linger in suffering till he finally kills himself.
Yeah, Darko's a complete mess by the time you meet him. Whether you spare him out of compassion or because you think death is too good for him is up to you, I guess. Either way works.

I suppose Niko could also consider killing Dimitri to make sure he and Roman are left alone because Dimitri is a dick who might decide to screw with them one day, but Niko would also know that the mafia boss who hires him to do the deal would be less than pleased if Niko hosed things up (which is what happens in the other ending route, as Kate gets killed instead of Roman).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

its goty op

Just because something is popular its automatically good?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its a masterpiece

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

its a masterpiece

How do you know, you haven't even played it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

qed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not so sure. I think it's probably a bit poo poo tbh

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

You know Latin, we get it Neil.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SwoleNerd posted:

I don’t really think the issue is the story beats themselves more how they’re told. The game starts out both too slow and too fast at the same time. It races towards Joel’s death but does nothing to really establish why we should care. It assumes that everyone playing the game has spent the entirety of the PS4’s life cycle thinking about the events of the first game. It’s desperate to get to this moment but does nothing to adequately build up to it and undercuts it massively because of this. I can see why they did it this way. I think it’s obvious what they were going for in terms of how it’s executed but it absolutely doesn’t work.

So far (I’m like 6 hours in) it’s bad story telling that reeks of “haha they won’t see this one coming. No way they’d expect us to do that!” And then fails to really do anything else.

The large (but not totally open) hub setting adds to this sense of weird pace too. Ellie bolts to Seattle as quick as she can but gameplay wise it’s very meandering and almost lethargic which is at odds with what the game is telling you is happening.

Also for all the jokes about Kojima just wanting to make movies I think it’s pretty funny that the fact Druckman just wants to make prestige TV shows has gone completely unremarked.

I'm also six hours in, and because of reasons, watched the rest of the cut scenes on YouTube.

I will play the whole game through when I have time this fall (work called me away from my home starting July 1st and I have deadlines and blah blah blah), but I want to know what happens without being spoiled.

First, the gameplay is A+.

The first six hours feel and play fantastic. It's not bad storytelling.

A lot of people on twitter and this thread act like they're the authority on what good storytelling is, when this clearly is a runaway success with what storytelling, at it's core is supposed to do. It's supposed to make you feel something.

This game does. Angry is there for a lot of people, but the ones who have finished it and have the maturity above a fifteen year old boy with daddy issues (a poo poo ton of the reddit and twitter folks, as well as people in this thread) is sorrow, appreciation, and wonderment at a masterpiece.

Because that is what this is. An utter masterpiece.

Much like BOTW, this game will be a huge influence on games and game conversations in ten years.

In short, if you don't like the game because you don't like grime, that's fine. But this is a game about the nature of violence, the pointlessness of it all, and if your reaction is that it's bad storytelling or it's dumb, I suspect you're just not willing to look in the mirror and look at your own faults and try to grow, or see that no one sees themselves as the villain. the real world is messy, and this game does a fantastic job of showing the nature of that, to the point of making you the player uncomfortable.

it's about teaching empathy, something that people who are online a lot usually sorely lack.

An easy 10/10, and I suspect it will win game of the year driving people incapable of looking at their poo poo to be that much more angry.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

LionArcher posted:

I'm also six hours in, and because of reasons, watched the rest of the cut scenes on YouTube.

I will play the whole game through when I have time this fall (work called me away from my home starting July 1st and I have deadlines and blah blah blah), but I want to know what happens without being spoiled.

A lot of people on twitter and this thread act like they're the authority on what good storytelling is, when this clearly is a runaway success with what storytelling, at it's core is supposed to do. It's supposed to make you feel something.

This game does. Angry is there for a lot of people, but the ones who have finished it and have the maturity above a fifteen year old boy with daddy issues (a poo poo ton of the reddit and twitter folks, as well as people in this thread) is sorrow, appreciation, and wonderment at a masterpiece.

Much like BOTW, this game will be a huge influence on games and game conversations in ten years.

In short, if you don't like the game because you don't like grime, that's fine. But this is a game about the nature of violence, the pointlessness of it all, and if your reaction is that it's bad storytelling or it's dumb, I suspect you're just not willing to look in the mirror and look at your own faults and try to grow, or see that no one sees themselves as the villain. the real world is messy, and this game does a fantastic job of showing the nature of that, to the point of making you the player uncomfortable.

it's about teaching empathy, something that people who are online a lot usually sorely lack.

An easy 10/10, and I suspect it will win game of the year driving people incapable of looking at their poo poo to be that much more angry.

This is an elaborate troll, right?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Source?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The Last of Us 2 might very well be the The Last of Us of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This seems to be a game that inspires its greatest champions and detractors to write like absolute lunatics.