Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I agree it's unlikely, soft reboot would probably be the preference of almost everyone who matters for a variety of reasons. In any case I don't think it would happen until/unless the old republic project becomes a trainwreck in its own right (and the timeline for that project is visibly slipping even as I type this sentence). If it goes well they probably would want to transition to that and pretend the ST never happened for a good long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You could probably make a pretty good story with Ben, brought back to life by the force but stripped of his powers, his title, and his empire, bumming across the galaxy with force ghost Anakin as a mentor, learning more about the nature of the force and what it will take to truly bring peace to the galaxy in the aftermath of the First Order's collapse and the elimination of the New Republic.

Good Sith, Bad Jedi coming this fall to Disney+

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If anything I think the question might be if you can do kylo without reylo or if his popularity is inseparable from it. It's a hard earned lesson to never underestimate the reylos

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

all these questions hinge on whether or not they think they can get away with the cheap LED wall sets Mandalorian used for a feature length film.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You could probably make a pretty good story with Ben, brought back to life by the force but stripped of his powers, his title, and his empire, bumming across the galaxy with force ghost Anakin as a mentor, learning more about the nature of the force and what it will take to truly bring peace to the galaxy in the aftermath of the First Order's collapse and the elimination of the New Republic.

Never getting Hayden Christensen as Anakin yelling at his fool of a grandson is another of the ST's many missteps.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'd watch this if they got Hayden Christiansen back to do Anakin.

You don't really need Driver, just get some C-list person from the CW roster who can do an angsty mumble.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought FOR SURE he was gonna be a force ghost or something since he was back in the spotlight at Celebration. He still looked good too - just stressed the gently caress out over life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barudak posted:

Good Sith, Bad Jedi coming this fall to Disney+

This show would own but only if they call it Sith Happens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vintersorg posted:

I thought FOR SURE he was gonna be a force ghost or something since he was back in the spotlight at Celebration. He still looked good too - just stressed the gently caress out over life.

I thought this too, I just assumed that whatever sequel era stuff they did post episode 9 would feature force ghost Ben heavily.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought it would have been cool if Luke had haunted Kylo and helped turn him good. Would have been a nice contrast to benevolent but secretly kind of an rear end in a top hat ghost Ben Kenobi.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I would kind of like to see a Tarsem Singh style Divine Comedy story where Ben has to traverse the Netherworld of the Force and actually deal with his actions in life before his soul can be redeemed. Just a whole movie of the cave scenes in the movies, or the Mortis / Moraband arcs of Clone Wars that explores what it takes for an evil space wizard to actually become a good person and earn ability to be a blue glow guy who can sit on logs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

No Mods No Masters posted:

If anything I think the question might be if you can do kylo without reylo

You can't. If they do bring Ben back, no doubt they play up the dyad angle and have Rey be part of the story. It's the only way they could make any sort of redemption narrative work imo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'll accept Kylo coming back if and only if he has the lower body of a centipede.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just lolling that the old EU with all its faults still somehow turned out better than what we got.

Like I’m excited for the new xwing game and all but itll be hard to get invested into the conflict because it ends up so stupid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I finally saw Rise of Skywalker last night and I genuinely cannot get over how awful it is, in every single way. Jesus Christ.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RoS is best watched with friends so you can MST3K your way through it

Might watch the Rifftrax and see how that goes

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just lolling that the old EU with all its faults still somehow turned out better than what we got.

Like I’m excited for the new xwing game and all but itll be hard to get invested into the conflict because it ends up so stupid.

The ST is bad in way few things are. It wasn't just bad on it's own, it legitimately harmed the ability of its franchise to tell stories. Like you pointed out with this new Squadrons game. How can one care about the New Republic when we explicitly know it was powerless, sucks, blows up, has no lasting impact, was neither loved or respected by its people, was not feared by its enemies, and was objectively not worth saving? And the same goes for pretty much anything supposed to take place after RotJ. Unless you make it so small scale like The Mandalorian that it has nothing to do with the titular Star Wars there is the giant elephant in the room of "Why should I be invested or even support the so called "protagonists?".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

galagazombie posted:

The ST is bad in way few things are. It wasn't just bad on it's own, it legitimately harmed the ability of its franchise to tell stories. Like you pointed out with this new Squadrons game. How can one care about the New Republic when we explicitly know it was powerless, sucks, blows up, has no lasting impact, was neither loved or respected by its people, was not feared by its enemies, and was objectively not worth saving? And the same goes for pretty much anything supposed to take place after RotJ. Unless you make it so small scale like The Mandalorian that it has nothing to do with the titular Star Wars there is the giant elephant in the room of "Why should I be invested or even support the so called "protagonists?".

Because Squadrons has whooshy-whooshy fighter space combat

Nobody is going to give two flying star destroyers about the story, like how they ignored how Battlefront II fleshed out where the First Order got their child soldiers from and then spent years wondering where and how the FO got its army

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vinylshadow posted:

Because Squadrons has whooshy-whooshy fighter space combat

Nobody is going to give two flying star destroyers about the story, like how they ignored how Battlefront II fleshed out where the First Order got their child soldiers from and then spent years wondering where and how the FO got its army

People shouldn't have to play a Battlefield spinoff whose story was made long after the actual movie came out, to get a nonsensical recon about how apparently the First Order kidnapped enough children to occupy every planet in the galaxy without anyone noticing, for a movie to be sensical.
You might be right about no one caring about the story, but that depends on just how important the Story Mode actually is. No video game trailer of course will ever admit "Mode X is the actual game and Mode Y is just something thrown in for contractual obligations" so we'll have to see whether the Story or Multiplayer is the real meat of the game when it comes out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

RoS is best watched with friends so you can MST3K your way through it

Can confirm, I did a TLJ/TROS double feature last weekend with several friends via Discord screen sharing it was a lot of fun trashing on TROS (we are a pro-TLJ discord for the most part, heh).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

galagazombie posted:

we'll have to see whether the Story or Multiplayer is the real meat of the game when it comes out.

It's going to be multiplayer, since that's where all the ship mods actually come into play

Although I am all in favor of making the mods locked behind story progression rather than playing x number of matches or killing x type of craft or reaching a certain level threshold

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Timby posted:

I finally saw Rise of Skywalker last night and I genuinely cannot get over how awful it is, in every single way. Jesus Christ.

It's the movie equivalent of jangling keys.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Very pretty disconnected bursts of noise

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Thought about “they fly now?!” the other day and had a little chuckle

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

galagazombie posted:

I dunno, people watched that Clone Wars cartoon for like a decade despite knowing how the Clone Wars ended. Having certain things be a foregone conclusion doesn't necessarily make them worthless in a story and could potentially make them dramatically interesting, eg the audience knows how almost every character in Better Call Saul is going to end up

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder the 25 minutes that JJ had to cut last minute was all Knights of Ren content

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Vintersorg posted:

The entire sequel trilogy is an absolute failure when you put it all together. gently caress - get Filoni to somehow fix it.

Wait until X, XI & XII happen in like 15 years and there's like an extended Special Edition of the sequels as part of its lead-up (VII has like two scenes added, VIII gets the Luke Mourns / False Ach-To Invasion / Finn's Jacket / Alt-Phasma Death scenes reinstated with some minor Canto Bight trims to balance it, and XI gets like 50% of it changed).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An interquel cartoon set between episodes 8 and 9 could rehabilitate the trilogy by expanding on what's salvageable in the context of a coherent creative vision. Compared to Clone Wars, however, it'd have an uphill battle, since it wouldn't be set in between two good movies.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The sequels essentially hit the reset button for Disney whenever they decide to delve further into the future, beyond that there’s really no reason for them to revisit or attempt to rehabilitate those movies and that era. They can just start over with new characters in the post-Republic, post-Skywalker galaxy. But I figure that’s going to be a long time, if ever. They’ll continue to play around in the past, where they can always tease cameos from characters we already know.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Other than the possibility of a cameo from Yoda, there’s essentially no difference between a Star Wars set 200 years before ANH and one set 200 years after.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bongo Bill posted:

An interquel cartoon set between episodes 8 and 9 could rehabilitate the trilogy by expanding on what's salvageable in the context of a coherent creative vision. Compared to Clone Wars, however, it'd have an uphill battle, since it wouldn't be set in between two good movies.

Since when did Attack Of The Clones become considered a good movie?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ROS gets better imho the more times you see it

It’s really really stupid tho

It’s so stupid it’s almost it’s own new genre

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

ROS gets better imho the more times you see it

It’s really really stupid tho

It’s so stupid it’s almost it’s own new genre

There are a couple of really nice shots in it, and Palpatine having a basketball arena full of ghosts where he lays out his end game is really on-brand and funny in the right way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everything in the Endor Death Star was awesome imho

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

Everything in the Endor Death Star was awesome imho

Didn’t like the soft Vader theme from RotJ playing when it was totally irrelevant to anything going on. Should‘be been the Palpatine theme if they insisted on an OT callback, but a spooky minor key version of Rey’s theme might have made the most sense.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Since when did Attack Of The Clones become considered a good movie?

Welcome to the thread. AOTC is probably the most interesting film in the whole series (TPM is close)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Snoke being a clone who was genetically engineered to have a bonkers midichlorian count is an excellent origin story for him.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Why did the Ewoks look so hosed up?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Why did the Ewoks look so hosed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Snoke being a clone who was genetically engineered to have a bonkers midichlorian count is an excellent origin story for him.

I love the idea of Palpatine brainstorming with his Sith Oracles and witch doctors like, “what do the kids like? If he’s tall he’ll seem more authoritative right, be able to keep Ben Solo in line. But if he’s too tall he’ll scare him off from the get go. Let’s go 7 and a half, maybe 8 feet. Now, I think a little battle damage is important to establish credibility...”