Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I assume every egg McMuffin I’ve ever eaten in my life has at the very least been spat upon or wiped on someone’s balls, it’s not really something to worry or get upset about

e: sorry wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

bird with big dick posted:

I assume every egg McMuffin I’ve ever eaten in my life has at the very least been spat upon or wiped on someone’s balls, it’s not really something to worry or get upset about

e: sorry wrong thread

no don't go

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I assume every Model 3 I’ve ever sat in in my life has at the very least been spat upon or wiped on someone’s balls, it’s not really something to worry or get upset about

FTFY

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Ford's Mach-E will be getting some improved autopilot hardware options with future software upgrade.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/ford-launching-new-driver-system-to-compete-with-teslas-autopilot.html

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: Model Y build issues - just go to Twitter, there are plenty of posts by obvious Tesla stans who are complaining about all sorts of poo poo.

Bum the Sad - we're going to need detailed pics when your Model Y arrives.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I want this cheap Chinese EV

ORA R1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkIarb-8Ot8

Under $10k. Decent range.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

VideoGameVet posted:

I want this cheap Chinese EV

ORA R1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkIarb-8Ot8

Under $10k. Decent range.

We need more small cheap EVs in the rest of the world. But nooooo, we need to build a giant SUV with 700HP because we need to show the world what we can do and make EVs exciting!
Theres a reason that you can't even get a Seat Mii Electric over here in 2020 anymore. They have sold out all they are gonna make this year by may!

The manufacturers are griping about low sales for EVs but can't be loving bothered to sell one that people can actually afford.

Disclaimer: I know theres a market for big powerful EVs and I get that they can help make EVs more attractive in general. But every manufacturer tries to be the loving Tesla killer instead of focusing on what their customers actually need.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 19, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I really want someone to make an EV wagon. No drat crossover or SUV. A proper wagon.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

I really want someone to make an EV wagon. No drat crossover or SUV. A proper wagon.

Amen. A wagon that'll comfortably hold a family of four loaded up for two weeks' of vacation, with a roof rack and a tow hook.

Curious what the usual German suspects will come up with in a few years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the ID vizzion or whatever looks basically like what you want. who knows if it will come to America

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the ID vizzion or whatever looks basically like what you want. who knows if it will come to America

The concept of that looks absolutely horrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

The concept of that looks absolutely horrible.

the wheels are goofy as is the air dam but other than that it looks pretty normal

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
When is the last time a concept made it to market with the crazy poo poo intact?

Don’t say Tesla.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Loucks posted:

When is the last time a concept made it to market with the crazy poo poo intact?

Don’t say Tesla.

the Mk VIII GTI has kind of goofy fog lights

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The wagon is planned for the US also, somehow. At this point I just assume every cool new EV isn't coming here because we don't believe in climate change. Whereas the rest of the world has laws that put you out of business if you don't comply. It's amazing we get any EVs besides Tesla.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

MrOnBicycle posted:

EV wagon crew. I'm excited for the VW, nervous about how brutal their ID3 issues have been, and am getting impatient generally. The XC40 Recharge isn't the car of my dreams, but it's close.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

As far as I can tell, ID3 is a somewhat below average new platform launch plus COVID nonsense. Launches have been going poorly for almost everyone the last few years.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Mk VIII GTI has kind of goofy fog lights

That's definitely an example. I honestly can't say whether I like those. They're...different.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm kind of hoping the Mazda MX30 is going to be cool. But i know with how small they are, it'll be underwhelming at first and good in like 5-7 years.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 19, 2020

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Popero posted:

EV wagon crew. I'm excited for the VW, nervous about how brutal their ID3 issues have been, and am getting impatient generally. The XC40 Recharge isn't the car of my dreams, but it's close.

I want one too. Or even an electric minivan, or an electric Mazda 5/MPV.

Some content - I added an aftermarket hitch to my Model 3, and it was pretty difficult. The shop had quoted me $500 for the install, and I was like 'F that'. But in retrospect, if it was $300, that would have been worth it. It would have been easier with another pair of hands, but pulling the lamp modules out and putting the bumper cover or whatever that thing is called back on was a pain.

On the plus side, I had a 2019 model with the hitch access panel, so I didn't have the cut away the undercarrige cover.

The bike on the back doesn't effect the efficiency too much, I only really could tell the difference if I was at ~70MPH+. The parking proximity system does light up due to the bike or the hitch being back there, and gives the highest alert beep when backing up, but otherwise autopilot and other stuff seems unaffected.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm gonna put a hitch on my Model 3 as well for motorcycle track days. I don't mind cutting the range in half.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I want one too. Or even an electric minivan, or an electric Mazda 5/MPV.

Some content - I added an aftermarket hitch to my Model 3, and it was pretty difficult. The shop had quoted me $500 for the install, and I was like 'F that'. But in retrospect, if it was $300, that would have been worth it. It would have been easier with another pair of hands, but pulling the lamp modules out and putting the bumper cover or whatever that thing is called back on was a pain.

On the plus side, I had a 2019 model with the hitch access panel, so I didn't have the cut away the undercarrige cover.

The bike on the back doesn't effect the efficiency too much, I only really could tell the difference if I was at ~70MPH+. The parking proximity system does light up due to the bike or the hitch being back there, and gives the highest alert beep when backing up, but otherwise autopilot and other stuff seems unaffected.

Get the bottle opener mount for the rack

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Indiana_Krom posted:

The end of quarter rush is getting to full swing in North America, I placed my order on January 29th and just got a VIN number showing up in the source code of my order page today. In April a delivery appointment showed up for June 27th, so that's now two weeks away. Perhaps check your order page and see if there is a delivery appointment scheduled and or if a VIN is hidden in the source code. (Search the source code for '5YJ' which is the manufacturer code.)

If you aren't in North America... well, there's always next quarter.

I have a date! Next Monday!!!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

A date with uneven panel gaps and paint that even the Lada factory wouldn't sign off on? :sun:

(jk, congrats!)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a weird question. I asked in the A/T Car Buying thread about this and more or less got told owning a Tesla is the stupidest decision ever.

I am 100% window shopping. I have a Volt that's serving my needs perfectly so I am more than likely not actually buying anything. But given these three choices, which would you hypothetically buy? Assume commute is not a concern (less than 20mi round) and the only long distance will be road tripping ~100-150mi away with plenty of charging options.

2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (250mi range) for $39k
2019 Tesla Model 3 Mid Range RWD (264mi range)(12k mi) for $38k
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD (325mi range)(14k mi) for $39k

Again, this is not a purchase I am actually going to make. I'm just curious what someone with a budget of ~$40k for an EV would pick.

I gravitated towards Tesla solely for the supercharger network. Messing around on A Better Route Planner showed that a Model 3 Mid Range going on a few lengthy vacations I had planned for next summer would be extremely easy, and I doubt the SR Plus would be significantly worse.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Spend the extra $3000 and get a brand new Model 3 Long Range

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Prepare to get the same answer from the same people in 5... 4...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Don't spend anything because you have a working volt, and wait 2-3 years while hyundai/kia/vw work out their first gen issues and buy one of those

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Most people who rage against Tesla have never even driven one. They're fine to own, but have reliability and build quality issues as you probably know. Generally, the newer the better. I'd get the 2020 SR+. Perhaps the best would be a used 2020 with a slight depreciation discount. It's super efficient and you're fine for range anyway. It weighs 400 lbs less but it's also quite a bit down on power.

Here's a video with some of the differences.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/401464/2017-vs-2020-tesla-model-3-comparison/

You are also right about vacations. You need to charge the same amount of energy to cover the same amount of distance, the larger battery can charge a bit faster on average and of course jump bigger gaps between chargers. In practice, on vacation, it doesn't matter. You'll be spending the charging time eating, resting, on your phone, nature business etc anyway.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Bum the Sad posted:

Nice, I have also made some progress on my order:

Ordered on 1/29. This has definitely been stretching the limits of my patience and sanity, just have to get through the next week.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Indiana_Krom posted:

Nice, I have also made some progress on my order:

Ordered on 1/29. This has definitely been stretching the limits of my patience and sanity, just have to get through the next week.

Oh wow. That long for a 3. I ordered my Y the 26th of February and then the world ended.

Considering myself lucky though. There’s people who ordered it a year ago and paid a $2500 reservation fee/down payment and haven’t heard a drat thing.

Meanwhile I just dropped my hundred bucks the day I heard they had started shipping.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yes, the Apocalypse didn't help any, but I was already delayed till summer even before the Fremont plant shutdown happened. I guess just not enough people ordered stealth performances in time to get the batch higher up the pile. But most likely I'm getting Type-C ports and the wireless charger as a bonus, in addition to time to save for a larger down payment, the $2000 price reduction, and a lower interest rate on the loan. Dialed my monthly payment estimate from $680 originally to around $470 for the same term.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Don't pay almost the full new price for a used vehicle of any brand.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 21, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Indiana_Krom posted:

Dialed my monthly payment estimate from $680 originally to around $470 for the same term.
oh poo poo that’s a loving bargain

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

Spend the extra $3000 and get a brand new Model 3 Long Range

That's a little more than 3k, more like 9k. I wish they still offered the LR RWD because I don't really need AWD.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Don't pay almost the full new price for a used vehicle of any brand.

None of those are, note the increasing spec.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Don't spend anything because you have a working volt, and wait 2-3 years while hyundai/kia/vw work out their first gen issues and buy one of those

I wasn't planning on buying. Just throwing around window shopping scenarios in my head.

Ola posted:

Most people who rage against Tesla have never even driven one. They're fine to own, but have reliability and build quality issues as you probably know. Generally, the newer the better. I'd get the 2020 SR+. Perhaps the best would be a used 2020 with a slight depreciation discount. It's super efficient and you're fine for range anyway. It weighs 400 lbs less but it's also quite a bit down on power.

Here's a video with some of the differences.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/401464/2017-vs-2020-tesla-model-3-comparison/

You are also right about vacations. You need to charge the same amount of energy to cover the same amount of distance, the larger battery can charge a bit faster on average and of course jump bigger gaps between chargers. In practice, on vacation, it doesn't matter. You'll be spending the charging time eating, resting, on your phone, nature business etc anyway.

I didn't know about reliability issues actually, just the build quality ones. What is bad reliability-wise? And thanks for that article, I was curious about what exactly a newer one even gets

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Glad to hear you’re finally getting your car Indiana_Krom. I think you used my referral code since the dates match up.

My referral miles as they stand expire in December, I wonder if they’ll extend after you take order of your car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I wasn't planning on buying. Just throwing around window shopping scenarios in my head.

I didn't know about reliability issues actually, just the build quality ones. What is bad reliability-wise? And thanks for that article, I was curious about what exactly a newer one even gets

Various small stuff, sensors, switches and so on. Since you're window shopping, or tab shopping, there's an endless amount of Tesla videos on youtube where vloggers talk about their issues and getting them fixed. Long story short: They fix it, the car is good.

This article is also useful:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I would still wait even in the theoretical scenario, depending on when things were built. If the M3 was built between march and now, I would stay away from it due to coronavirus and end of Q2 push, but even then generally newer is better for tesla quality and presumably the longer remaining warranty would be good to have so I wouldn't be inclined to buy either of the used ones. Also, I'm assuming you have a service center relatively near by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is bad reliability-wise?
The actuated door handles break with too much force and it's like a $500-$1000 replacement. People have had hit-or-miss experiences with things like windshields or body panels being replaced after accidents. Some have had their advanced autopilot pulled after buying a used car (it's a "license" that isn't tied to the car or the user).