Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Be sure to dismantle the HRE. It'll markedly reduce the AE you take from expanding, and it'll let you have an Empire tier government. As Prussia you're going to need every bonus to Admin Cap you can get.

Yeah I just did some wars against Saxony and Bohemia and got them to release as much poo poo as they could. Need to get them small enough to force annex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it viable to play France without playing the colony game?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it viable to play France without playing the colony game?

Absolutely. You even get mission PU on Spain now, just let those fuckers do it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Was considering an Austria run, had a few questions:

1. Can you hold Rome as the HRE tag without penalties?

2. Does the expand empire CB work yet?

3. Do you still need to just win any war against the Italian nations to add them to the HRE during the shadow kingdom incident?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How do you become emperor of the HRE?

im doing a solo run as the pope and, while all the electors like me well enought they dont want to vote for me. Im assuming there is some logic to this that Im missing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AnEdgelord posted:

How do you become emperor of the HRE?

im doing a solo run as the pope and, while all the electors like me well enought they dont want to vote for me. Im assuming there is some logic to this that Im missing.

Theocracies and republics can’t be emperor

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

skasion posted:

Solves that problem I guess, out of curiosity though what is the logic though? Just make all the electors like you?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Solves that problem I guess, out of curiosity though what is the logic though? Just make all the electors like you?

On the elector screen it gives you a points breakdown of what factors are influencing their vote.

Relations, Alliance, Prestige, DipRep are the main ones

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you hover over the score or the shield or something i forget it breaks it down. it's just a point system and the big positives are like relations, big country, big country in the empire, marriage, imperial authority, uh prestige, dip rep. any vassalized elector will usually vote for you

the big negatives are not being in the empire to begin with, having an elector as a vassal, too small

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You also need to be in Europe, or at least you used to, idk if they changed that

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Absolutely. You even get mission PU on Spain now, just let those fuckers do it.

it's worth noting that once a country becomes a subject they'll stop sending colonists out, except for colonial nations. This means you should wait for them to establish a bunch of colonial nations before enforcing a claim on their throne.

edit: never mind, this is wrong

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 20, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think it's that exploration/expansion becomes weighted with a x0 chance of being taken once they're subjects. if they have it before subjection they'll be fine

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oddium posted:

i think it's that exploration/expansion becomes weighted with a x0 chance of being taken once they're subjects. if they have it before subjection they'll be fine

Oh, you're right. I haven't noticed France doing any colonizing in my campaign after I PUed them but I just checked and they are colonizing some random island in the carribean. They're just slow because they've been in debt a lot and haven't taken exploration.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ottoman's in my game having 7777 ducats in debt unlocks mega over powered mode like it's FF7 right?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

oddium posted:

Subjects do sometimes take Expansion, though. Happened in an Aragon game where I got the Iberian Wedding early; Castile took Expansion and went hog wild in Africa, got way too many provinces for the "form Spain" decision.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

skasion posted:

I wish there was a reform that removed that requirement.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

extremely over this. come on

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Did the hotfix really not fix the Ducat bug?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Happy to report the HRE is no more. Turns out just occupying an elector during a war was enough for them to not count as independent so after having 4 as vassals / myself and Saxony occupied I decided to no CB Fererra which was an elector allied to the other elector I didn't control and this of course pulled in the emperor, Milan. Was pretty easy after that. I think I wasted a lot of time making this harder than it had to be with my attempts to vassalize.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've yet to see the bug myself. Also, missing the King of Jerusalem achievement by 10 years ruined my day. Still got On The Rhodes Again, but that just feels like a consolation prize.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It sure didn't

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if something is worth doing

do it with all your heart

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nope. You gotta stay under 75% WS if you want you full $

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

oddium posted:

if something is worth doing

do it with all your heart

Apparently there's a monastic order breweries government reform, and if you take it the government name changes to like "brewmaster order" or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:psyduck: Why doesnt "Show Strength" count as the Age Objective of Humiliating a Rival?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:psyduck: Why doesnt "Show Strength" count as the Age Objective of Humiliating a Rival?

Because you didn't humiliate them.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

oddium posted:

extremely over this. come on

I mean, it says probably right there...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrBling posted:

It really feels like it should count, but it never has. It's kinda lame since it's the option you definitely want to pick in a humiliation war. I usually end up fulfilling the humiliate rival objective by coincidence when one of my rivals is allied to someone I'm declaring war on and I can separate peace them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrBling posted:

Technically you are correct, but Showing Strength is Humiliation, But Better. Therefore I thought that it would count. The bonuses are literally exactly what you get for Humiliating, plus some Monarch Points. I did what the requirement asks for and then some.... it should count.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It really feels like it should count, but it never has. It's kinda lame since it's the option you definitely want to pick in a humiliation war. I usually end up fulfilling the humiliate rival objective by coincidence when one of my rivals is allied to someone I'm declaring war on and I can separate peace them.
Yeah this is pretty much exactly what happened to me and I'm just baffled.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Better yet just replace humiliate with show strength. Humiliate is never preferable

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Formed Germany for the first time finally, around 1700 but Austria ended up owning all of France so they still have nearly twice my dev and Spain turned god tier, so this might end being a campaign that is still fun into the end game. Gonna go for dismantling, getting the achievement for crushing the revolution if possible, and then see what else I can get with my op prussian monarchy germany.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

they apparently figured it out afterwards

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I haven't played a real game for a while. Now I have a game as Landshut -> Bavaria and there seems to have been a change to the combat AI. In many of my wars the AI just let me siege down their forts and stay the hell away from me. And if I get even remotely close to one of their armies sieging they abandon the siege super quick. And it is not like I outnumber them massively either. I have won many wars in this last game without even having a fight. Even France was pussies and stayed in the southwestern corner while I sieged down their forts. I remember the game being more fun than this.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I assume it's an attempt to fix how easy it was to bait stacks onto your forts and wiping them because they almost never stopped sieges after they started them.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Formed Italy as Milan and it's pretty cool but most (all?) of the Italian mission tree requires you to directly own provinces to complete missions rather than have vassals own them, which is kind of annoying given that for most mission trees "owned by player or player vassal" is the standard. Had to integrate my Croatian vassal just to finish a mission, and I'm gonna have to integrate and re-release my Algerian march just to trigger the mission that gives me claims on Egypt.

Milan also has a really great mission that upgrades ALL of the forts you have built in the alpine passes, ignoring all tech requirements for building those forts. I had a bunch of level 4 forts about 100 years before I was supposed to.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I assume it's an attempt to fix how easy it was to bait stacks onto your forts and wiping them because they almost never stopped sieges after they started them.

Yes that is probably one part of it. But still they should try to break my sieges. As an example when I was sieging down France I had 3 sieges running in different parts and if he concentrated his forces he could defeat me in one area at a time. Back in the day I remember France combining all their forces into a doomstack and just running around fighting all the armies in their lands one at a time. Doesn't do that anymore in this one game example. I can't remember any other nations doing it either in this game. Effectively combining forces. Maybe it is because they really don't like to take attrition now?

Hryme fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 20, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Tried a game with Austria. It seems you now get a permanent(!) malus to your relations with the electors if you don't vote with the majority in the Diet? I guess that means if you want to be emperor you have no choice but to vote for whatever the AI picked in majority when there is an imperial incident? I hosed a game bad by not noticing that earlier. Annoying considering I had just got done getting Milan, Bohemia and Hungary in a PU.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Popoto posted:

Tried a game with Austria. It seems you now get a permanent(!) malus to your relations with the electors if you don't vote with the majority in the Diet? I guess that means if you want to be emperor you have no choice but to vote for whatever the AI picked in majority when there is an imperial incident? I hosed a game bad by not noticing that earlier. Annoying considering I had just got done getting Milan, Bohemia and Hungary in a PU.

It makes sense both as a game system and historically. As the emperor you can technically do whatever you want but if you go against the electors they're going to remember.

Also, the joys of HRE AE

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hryme posted:

Yes that is probably one part of it. But still they should try to break my sieges. As an example when I was sieging down France I had 3 sieges running in different parts and if he concentrated his forces he could defeat me in one area at a time. Back in the day I remember France combining all their forces into a doomstack and just running around fighting all the armies in their lands one at a time. Doesn't do that anymore in this one game example. I can't remember any other nations doing it either in this game. Effectively combining forces. Maybe it is because they really don't like to take attrition now?
I'm not sure what it is but I have to say I actually like the change because I feel like its a bit more realistic, I think? The idea being that historically battles were somewhat rare because if you have an army you can siege and threaten things, but if you throw your army away in a pointless fight then you cant do poo poo. I think it could be tweaked so if the AI has overwhelming force it would be a bit more aggressive on the whole I've been liking the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Firebatgyro posted:

It makes sense both as a game system and historically. As the emperor you can technically do whatever you want but if you go against the electors they're going to remember.

Also, the joys of HRE AE

you'd be getting hit by that even without the HRE penalty

no cb (as defender) for a bunch of provinces