Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Awesome! Make sure to hit up Lake Agnes while you're there, especially if you have reservations. The short trail there means that it's easy to get golden/blue hour shots.

Thanks, been there a few times, it's my go to during the busy season, that or out towards Lake City. Away from the crowds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hell yeah. I'm hoping to get up there this summer for another blue hour shot/night shot session. Preferably without twisting my ankle like last year. :argh:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Great pics! I really want to get out into the mountains but have been staying in Tacoma since the lockdown. Apparently Mount Rainier (which is in my county) is sort of open as long as you use backcountry trails to get into the park since the main entrance and visitor centers arent open. Going to have to do some research since I've never used anything other than official trailheads.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Love Rocky Mountain NP.

Is Inkwell cafe and bookstore in business, if you know that place in Estes Park?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

No idea, I didn't stop at all in town, just in and out of the park. Estes seemed fairly busy though, lots of foot traffic going on in town.

Mustang, have you hit North Cascades NP yet?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not yet, though I was planning on making it one of my primary destinations this summer. If my dad still comes out in July it's where I'm going to take him backpacking.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Got a pretty good one today:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Very nice! Everything I hear about birds in flight photography sounds like extra hard mode.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

The Rat posted:

Very nice! Everything I hear about birds in flight photography sounds like extra hard mode.

Oh yeah, I'm an amateur photographer at best and rely on sheer quantity of photos to achieve quality :v: In this case I definitely got lucky with a great shot as it was flying by.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

All the photography I do is on my phone because I don't own a decent camera.

Can I post some here and open myself to criticism? I don't know a drat thing about photography, i just shoot what looks good to me

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can I post some here and open myself to criticism? I don't know a drat thing about photography, i just shoot what looks good to me

Far be it from me to speak for a thread I only rarely post in, but I say go for it! Anyone can take a great picture, and the nice thing about phone cameras now is they're capable of getting some really great shots (depending on the subject matter). For instance, here's one I took just yesterday:

Nature is awesome and beautiful, and I'm always down to see more of it, and to encourage people to go out and experience it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hell yeah just post. Phones can take some great shots, I mean this was with a dang Motorola:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

This morning I took two

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I too hike and take pictures on a phone. I find closeups and midrange is ok, but any sort of landscape shot utterly fails to do justice. What the heck do you folks do/use?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Pixel phones across the board have excellent cameras. The zoom isn't the best, but otherwise pictures come out great.

I just got myself a fancy new Garmin watch, and I'm really looking forward to using it properly.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Natty Ninefingers posted:

I too hike and take pictures on a phone. I find closeups and midrange is ok, but any sort of landscape shot utterly fails to do justice. What the heck do you folks do/use?

Mine is an Olympus EM1 Mk2, most of the time I use the 7-14 Pro ultrawide lens, and sometimes the 12-40 Pro lens. All off the tripod for the hi-res mode, raw files processed via DxO Photolab 3.

Those lenses are just my preference though, I don't really do the telephoto thing for landscapes since I gotta hide Waldo somewhere in the frame.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Go for it dude! Anything I’ve posted here that wasn’t underwater was shot with a phone :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A sea turtle (probably) laid a nest here, I’m about to go confirm it :unsmith:

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I've always firmly believed that the best camera is the one that you have with you.

When I did a three month road trip a few years ago I used my fancy amateur DSLR for wildlife and close/midrange things but my Pixel 2 for landscape shots because it had a wider lens and the quality was still great.

tl;dr: :justpost:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Everybody post all outside hobby photos from any camera possible at all times
Camping hiking hunting birding biking grilling gardening

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Got a pretty good one today:

Odin's so cool even his ravens are one-eyed :dukedog:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

these geese nest two feet off a trail at a national park every year and then hiss at everyone that walks past lol

photo from vietnam

PookBear fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 6, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I feel lucky that the geese in town here are not as hostile as their reputation.

Here's my weekend's best shot. I really liked the view at this spot, but the clouds kept everything pretty dreary. Would be nice to go back sometime with better weather conditions.

Also don't bother looking for Waldo, it's in one of those bushes at the bottom and you can't really see it without the full res original and zooming in.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://us.glock.com/en/buy/blue-label-program

During the Salute to Veterans Discount Program the existing blue label qualifications are extended to any honorably discharged veteran. You are eligible to purchase one Blue Label pistol through our LE Distributors or Sub-D Dealers from Memorial Day to Veterans Day. A copy of your DD 214 and valid driver’s license can be used as credentials at a local blue label supplier found using the dealer locator (https://us.glock.com/en/dealer-locator-usa) and your zip code.

selling my sig 226 and getting a brand new g19 for $440 :getin:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't even like shooting Glocks, but drat.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you don't like shooting glocks, buy a cz p10c instead. $400 on blue label, but you can get them $450 right now I think. Better trigger and better grip angle than a glock, and they fit a bunch of different G19 holsters.

E: just gonna post more about mine because it's my favorite pistol. Shot both my 10c and the range's 10f and the accuracy on both was great. This was from a tfr competition thread where the ranges were
- 4 shots from 3 yards
- 6 shots from 5 yards
- 6 shots from 7 yards
- 4 shots from 10 yards

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 18, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Took a few at the beach and on the way home.

Tell me how useless I am, a friend loaned me a camera and I'm literally just taking photos of things at this point.
That's the advice I've been given - shoot a bunch, find what works, shoot more, rinse, repeat.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Those beach shots are really nice. If you have the RAW files and an editing program I'd say tone down the highlights a little to bring out some more definition in the clouds, but that's a minor quibble. Out of those, I like the first and last the best. The person and dog help give a sense of scale.

On your town/forest shots, I like the second one more than the first since it brings the town more in focus. In the first one, there's a lot of space being taken up by the near foliage and the sky.

But yeah, keep on shooting, keep posting em here!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://shop.sturgillsimpson.com/store/

Country western singer Sturgill Simpson replaced all the merch in his store with things that say dick daddy survival school during the corona virus lockdown and I feel like it belongs here

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Made a new friend on the beach this morning.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Neat turtle! Is that one of the really endangered ones?

Today's hike. One from the top of the Mt Mcconnel summit. Not the greatest view, but since I was there I figured may as well.

Also first hike with the now completed and running G20. Hopefully will never have to use it. Last resort in case of angry/hungry mammals that want to eat/trample me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

She’s a loggerhead. All sea turtles are at least listed as threatened, if not endangered. The loggerheads are endangered, though. We’ve got a few nests on this little island, and we’re doing what we can to make sure those little ones make it out to sea :unsmith:

Once the eggs hatch, I’ll have plenty of baby turtle pics to post here :) expect those to start around mid-July.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Icon Of Sin posted:

Made a new friend on the beach this morning.

:3

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Turtles are loving cool

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Icon Of Sin posted:

She’s a loggerhead. All sea turtles are at least listed as threatened, if not endangered. The loggerheads are endangered, though. We’ve got a few nests on this little island, and we’re doing what we can to make sure those little ones make it out to sea :unsmith:

Once the eggs hatch, I’ll have plenty of baby turtle pics to post here :) expect those to start around mid-July.

This owns. Where are you?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I loving love sea turtles and am now anxiously awaiting tons of pictures of babies.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Same, wish I had gotten a chance to see some sea turtles in the wild when I lived in Florida.

So I just subbed for the Adobe Photography plan which gets you Photoshop and Lightroom. I grew up drawing and painting and in high school got into digital art with photoshop but for whatever reason as soon as I went off to college I dropped everything artistic until picking up photography in the Army.

I also bought a drawing tablet/monitor to make stuff with. Pretty psyched to get back in touch with my creative side.

Looking back on it now, my 20's seemed to just suck the life out me as I just focused on trying to be "succesful" as I let the things that made me happy fall by the wayside.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Looking back on it now, my 20's seemed to just suck the life out me as I just focused on trying to be "succesful" as I let the things that made me happy fall by the wayside.

I was in this same place while I was in. Getting out got me back into painting minis, photography, and scuba diving (which led straight into my career path now).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Not sure which one I like better, but a good morning regardless :)

She laid her eggs and was heading back to the water when I came across her :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Turtle pics :unsmith:

I like them, please keep posting more. :shobon:

This weekend was a charity team 3-gun match. Two and three person teams allowed. I was part of the staff, set up some Friday, staff shoot on Saturday, everyone else shot on Sunday. Was in the 90s as the highs, and my assistant range officer went down as a heat casualty mid-day on Sunday. Raised over 12k for an organ donor nonprofit.

I got stupid lucky with my team, considering I was the leftovers. Morning of the staff shoot, we were about to start and I was like "uhhh hey anyone need a third teammate?" The shooters I ended up with were poo poo hot, and we ended up in fourth overall out of 49 teams, and third place in 3-person division. (They gave medals for the top 3 two person and top 3 three person teams.)

This was probably our smoothest stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONoT4WEN8CM