Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Try opening terminal, and type diskutil list

See if anything shows up there that says "external"

Unfortunately not, just my SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Give DriveDx a shot.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Give DriveDx a shot.

Tried that and nothing. Plugged into my Linux box and it says it fails to enumerate. I'm guessing there's some hardware problem like a failed solder. I'll let them know and they can pay someone to get the data back if they like.

Thanks for the help

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to force apps to open in a specific Desktop if possible? I'd like to make Desktop 2 to be the default Desktop for apps like Word and Excel.

Edit: I'm dumb, should have googled before asking. Duh.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Sorry in advance for the n00b question. I'm a bit out of the loop with Mac stuff and have been thrown on a work council thing discussing redundancies. They are, unsurprisingly, using Zoom. I've never used it before. I have a 2017 quad-core i5 3GHz iMac and an iPad Mini 2. Am I hosed? Will either work well enough? Is there anything I should know? I'd obviously rather use the desktop. Oh, and I don't have a smartphone. Help!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It'll work fine. Zoom had some poor security practices that flew under the radar while they were tiny, but other than that, in my experience with it thus far, it's a very stable & well behaved video chat client. Both those devices *should* be fine, the iPad Mini may struggle though. I only say that because my iPad Mini 4 seems to struggle with everything these days (iPhone 6 guts), not because I've tried Zoom on it.

It's no surprise that it was started by a WebEx VP that was annoyed with how little attention Cisco was paying to the performance and ease of use of the video call part of it. Zoom is better behaved in terms of video & audio stability than other platforms I have used recently.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

franco posted:

Sorry in advance for the n00b question. I'm a bit out of the loop with Mac stuff and have been thrown on a work council thing discussing redundancies. They are, unsurprisingly, using Zoom. I've never used it before. I have a 2017 quad-core i5 3GHz iMac and an iPad Mini 2. Am I hosed? Will either work well enough? Is there anything I should know? I'd obviously rather use the desktop. Oh, and I don't have a smartphone. Help!

You'll be fine, my daughter is happily zooming on a 2012 Samsung i3 laptop with 4GB RAM. It's a pretty good client the security stuff aside.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Zoom worked fine on my 2009 MBP before I finally upgraded to a 2017 MBP (which it also works fine on). video conferencing software is usually pretty lowkey

honestly the most important thing I did was making sure I was using a wired connection instead of wifi (which required a usb hub with ethernet for my 2017 mbp, curse you apple!!! :argh:)

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 19, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Jazz Marimba posted:

Zoom worked fine on my 2009 MBP before I finally upgraded to a 2017 MBP (which it also works fine on). video conferencing software is usually pretty lowkey

It has been my experience that video conferencing software are much like web browsers. They’ll use as much of a machine’s resources as are available. Whether I’m running on an old rear end computer or a beefy desktop, they just eat that poo poo up.

It’s not surprising really - they’ll down or upscale quality based on the machine’s capability.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Zoom taxes my Late 2013 rMBP but that's because I usually have other apps running at the same time on top of VPN, and the Zoom conferences I join regularly have 15-25 participants; ones with 1-4 participants don't cause any slowdowns.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there any software that would allow UHD playback on a Mac with an external drive?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

franco posted:

I attend Zoom meetings on my late 2013 15" MBP with no issues whatsoever periodically, so you should easily be able to run Zoom on a faster Mac. Your iPad might struggle but only because the CPU is horribly underpowered.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
So much love for Mac Os. So little love for iOS. They just stack improvements (vertical) on the same OS UI no horizontal improvements to anything Sorry

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all for putting my mind at rest :love: These meetings are going to be a big deal with peoples' jobs on the line and I was stressing out. I've installed and tested it today on the iMac and it seems absolutely fine. I don't know if it'll struggle a bit more when there are a lot more people but so far so good. Now I just get to hate seeing my stupid face on screen...

Thanks again :)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Is there any software that would allow UHD playback on a Mac with an external drive?
Why do you want to do this?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I got the 2020 MBP 13" base model. I've used the command line as my primary interface mode for several years. I don't like UI very much. So I got brew installed. Any other hot tips? I know of oh-my-zsh. I could test it out even if its a little bloated. I think my workspace Ill maximize everything and just alt-tab between windows. Havent had a chance to play much, OSX terminal can launch applications right? I don't know how $path is going to work since I think I will be locked out of /usr/bin

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You open applications with “open /path/to/whatever.app”

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Cool. One more question. That bar at the top gets in the way. If I use the mouse to change the address in firefox or whatever, that bar will pop down and throw me off. Cant it stay on the desktop space and stop poking in its ugly head? Thats what drove me crazy about Windows, the bar on the bottom. This is my first Apple pc in my life, so far I think there is a lot of potential here. The old style keyboard is what kept me away for so long, this one feels fine!

Double Punctuation posted:

You open applications with “open /path/to/whatever.app”

oh and as an aside, editing bashrc/zshrc and making an alias whatever="open /path/to/whatever.app &" will be great, that'll be so much easier than going through the defaults.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 20, 2020

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

excellent bird guy posted:

oh and as an aside, editing bashrc/zshrc and making an alias whatever="open /path/to/whatever.app &" will be great, that'll be so much easier than going through the defaults.

If you're not purist about doing absolutely everything from bash/zsh, just hit command+spacebar to start a Spotlight search, type a few letters of the app name you want to launch, and hit return as soon as it shows the app you wanted. This has the advantage of working on any app in the system, not just the ones you've created aliases for.

e: You may want to set up the Spotlight preferences (cmd-space "Spotlight" should take you there) to show fewer things. The big one is to uncheck Spotlight Suggestions, which does web searches. I'd rather use it only to search my Mac.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 21, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Thanks! Am not a purist. In arch I use the same key sequence to run dmenu. Will for sure customize that as you said

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Thanks! Am not a purist. In arch I use the same key sequence to run dmenu. Will for sure customize that as you said

You might also want to check out Alfred; I believe the basic version is free.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Ill always at least try to roll my own scripts, especially in regard to the filesystem. i am eager to look at swift! I think mac is going to be fun.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cool. One more question. That bar at the top gets in the way. If I use the mouse to change the address in firefox or whatever, that bar will pop down and throw me off. Cant it stay on the desktop space and stop poking in its ugly head? Thats what drove me crazy about Windows, the bar on the bottom.

I remember looking into this a while ago, and at least for my use case, the answer was that there's no way to keep certain actions from making the menu bar appear.

If you're still using Windows at all and really hate the taskbar, you might be interested in the Custom Shell Launcher feature. Instead of launching explorer.exe on startup, it can launch powershell.exe or whatever other executable you want.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

wdarkk posted:

...like you just want to watch 4k UHD videos on your mac that are stored on an external drive? VLC, or IINA

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I got the 2020 MBP 13" base model. I've used the command line as my primary interface mode for several years. I don't like UI very much. So I got brew installed. Any other hot tips? I know of oh-my-zsh. I could test it out even if its a little bloated. I think my workspace Ill maximize everything and just alt-tab between windows. Havent had a chance to play much, OSX terminal can launch applications right? I don't know how $path is going to work since I think I will be locked out of /usr/bin

Everyone's answered most of your questions, but re: oh-my-zsh, check out the powerlevel10k theme for it. It speeds things up considerably. I like the pure theme but it's got a bunch of options.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Toast Museum posted:

I remember looking into this a while ago, and at least for my use case, the answer was that there's no way to keep certain actions from making the menu bar appear.

If you're still using Windows at all and really hate the taskbar, you might be interested in the Custom Shell Launcher feature. Instead of launching explorer.exe on startup, it can launch powershell.exe or whatever other executable you want.

It's okay! All the toolbar does it make me stop being lazy and use the hotkeys as to not get the mouse near to unhide it.

Regarding the oh-my-zsh plugin. I will for sure do that!
So far I am using alias from cli to launch apps, and using brew to install. Already have aquamacs :) Feeling quite comfortable. I think Mac laptop plus big GNU Linx desktop is the way to go for me. Thanks, Ill for sure stick around the thread to catch all the cool osx hacks.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hi Mac thread. I have a problem that has been driving me completely insane for most of today.

I have a new 16" 2019 Macbook Pro! It's lovely! The only problem is that I'm trying to rescue an older MBP by creating a USB installer of El Capitan, and none of the guides out there work.

I can't run createinstallmedia as Apple advise because that relies on the "Install macos <whatever.app" being in your Applications folder, and I can't install those on Catalina.

I've tried extracting and looking around in InstallMacOSX.dmg/pkg for Sierra, Yosemite and El Capitan and had no luck at all. I remember being able to rip the installesd.dmg out of images to get Lion working this way but I can't replicate that.

Any and all help appreciated.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Hi Mac thread. I have a problem that has been driving me completely insane for most of today.

I have a new 16" 2019 Macbook Pro! It's lovely! The only problem is that I'm trying to rescue an older MBP by creating a USB installer of El Capitan, and none of the guides out there work.

I can't run createinstallmedia as Apple advise because that relies on the "Install macos <whatever.app" being in your Applications folder, and I can't install those on Catalina.

I've tried extracting and looking around in InstallMacOSX.dmg/pkg for Sierra, Yosemite and El Capitan and had no luck at all. I remember being able to rip the installesd.dmg out of images to get Lion working this way but I can't replicate that.

Any and all help appreciated.

Do you have the El Cap installer DMG already? You should be able to just mount the dmg and drag the install.app file to the Application folder. You don't need to install them, they just need to be in the Applications folder.

Also how old is the laptop? Have you tried doing Internet Recovery instead of messing with boot drives?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Do you have the El Cap installer DMG already? You should be able to just mount the dmg and drag the install.app file to the Application folder. You don't need to install them, they just need to be in the Applications folder.

Also how old is the laptop? Have you tried doing Internet Recovery instead of messing with boot drives?

It's a mid 2009, can't get any form of recovery to work. No network nor recovery partition. If pulled and plugged into a USB dock the SSD shows up as a completely healthy freshly formatted MacOS extended drive.

If I grab El Capitan from Apple I get an InstallMacOSX.dmg containing an InstallMacOSX.pkg installer. Installer won't run, but I can unpack it and it contains another InstallMacOSX.pkg and localisation stuff. Unpacking that gets me an InstallESD.dmg and some xml metadata stuff. The InstallESD image is just a huge directory of packages.

I think the first pkg builds the .app by pulling from the localized strings stuff. :negative:

EDIT: I FOUND IT. It was hiding in something that presented itself as a text file. Cat'ing it showed plist contents and file just said it was ascii text. Good god.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last minute tweet leaks?

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1274927653825347586

Big Sur indeed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Was gonna download the Developer app to watch the stream but was told I needed Catalina. Sheesh

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Another rumor pertains to Apple refreshing its trademark for Rosetta in Japan earlier this year.

Now, why would they renew the trademark for something we haven't seen since Snow Leopard (10.6?)

Might be the rumored software emulation layer that will allow ARM to run Intel binaries..

Guess we're gonna get the return of Fat Binaries..

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Was gonna download the Developer app to watch the stream but was told I needed Catalina. Sheesh

Support an OS that's a year old? Apple doesn't have the kind of resources for that. Please, be more understanding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Guess we're gonna get the return of Fat Binaries..

Or bitcode payloads that are compiled at install? I forget what the state of that is for disparate ISAs versus ARM variants. The App Store will just ship the perfect set of binaries to you of course, so maybe more shops will move to it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

The App Store will just ship the perfect set of binaries to you of course, so maybe more shops will move to it.

Yeah, this seems the way Apple would choose to go, since the App Store wasn't really a thing during the PPC transition. Fat binaries or maaaybe compiled binaries at install would be for apps that don't exist inside the App Store ecosystem. Or... maybe not and it's App Store or bust for that sort of thing lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah I know it's only the first dev beta, but..

Individuals who got the Big Sur beta for testing are reporting that APFS volumes still don't show up as backup choices in Time Machine.

:sigh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
New thread title:

macOS and Mac Software- macOS Big Sir: still your favorite BSD (Big Sexy Dad)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ok Comboomer posted:

New thread title:

I was expecting something about "macOS BS"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

New thread title:

macOS Big S̈ur - this OS goes to 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Has anyone here installed the developer beta yet?