Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gripweed posted:

What A Time To Be Alive can be pretty good. It's three comedians talking about the five strangest or funniest news stories in the past week. They stay away from politics or situations where people died, unless it's very funny.

These guys are very funny, but I'm not enjoying them as much as I used to. They used to cover quirky and niche news stories, but now they just pull from the headlines and cover the same thing every other podcast and late night talk show talks about. And so much of their comedy seems to only work if you don't fully understand the thing they're joking about. If you have extensive knowledge in nutrition or diet or exercise it can be especially frustrating when they only get 80% to the facts and then fill the rest in with a kind of observational-humor-by-ignorance. And I just don't care about Cath's farts, burps, poops and odors and I find it weird that that comes up so much.

I still listen every week, though. Despite the things that annoy me about them, they do have a great balance with the three hosts and even though they worry a lot about "going over" their time and talking too long about unrelated things, it all flows very well and I never get the feeling that time is being wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea COVID's doin some damage to WATTBA, between most news outlets not having as many quirky and weird 'local park covered in snake orgy' or whatever stories and the tech issues of long distance riffing popping up it's kinda rough at times. I still say it's more good than bad but I'd maybe go back to the early stuff first to get a more accurate feel of it.

Ballin Out Super has been another go to 'I need to laugh and think of nothing' podcast, it's three new york comedians who have the typical weeb love/hate relationship with anime talkin Dragon Ball, they went through all of Super and now are doing Z.

I also just got turned on to The Shrieking Shack, I just started watching but it's two Harry Potter fans who, again like many of us, have come to realize how poo poo a lot of HP stuff is rereading the books and having fun laughing at them. They aren't as negative as it sounds, they have some big issues with it now but so far I'm just in their first book stuff and they still seem to enjoy when it's more whimsical and silly magic fun and lament how 'worldbuilding' meant suddenly the stories had to stop that...for reasons....

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ImpAtom posted:

Can anyone recommend some particular funny podcasts. Like humor based or just genuinely funny people discussing things. I've enjoyed stuff like We Hate Movies but would like to branch out. D&D podcasts preferably excluded since I am super burned out on those.

For comedy:
-A Very Fatal Murder (it's the Onion parodying murder podcasts)
-Doughboys (start with episode 56 with Jonah Ray)
-Hello From the Magic Tavern is pretty good

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Can anyone recommend some particular funny podcasts. Like humor based or just genuinely funny people discussing things. I've enjoyed stuff like We Hate Movies but would like to branch out. D&D podcasts preferably excluded since I am super burned out on those.

Walking the Room. I think it's only available on soundcloud and it ended years ago so it won't be topical but it's still the funniest podcast I've ever listened to. Start from the beginning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thank you for the recommendations!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but I'm looking for a podcast app for Android that works well for listening in the car. Right now I'm using BeyondPod (bought the paid version years ago), and I keep having to chase the volume around to hear the softer parts over the road noise only to be suddenly ABSOLUTELY DEAFENED AND ALSO THE CAR NEXT TO ME CAN PROBABLY HEAR ROBERT EVANS SHOUTING THINGS ABOUT NAZIS WITH NO CONTEXT

Android Auto integration is a huge plus but I assume the main thing I am looking for is some sort of volume normalization and/or dynamic range compression. Honestly it's the only feature I find BeyondPod to be missing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Funny podcast rec: I've enjoyed How Did This Get Made? Comedic Hoolywood types ripping on crappy movies.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Discussion Quorum posted:

Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but I'm looking for a podcast app for Android that works well for listening in the car. Right now I'm using BeyondPod (bought the paid version years ago), and I keep having to chase the volume around to hear the softer parts over the road noise only to be suddenly ABSOLUTELY DEAFENED AND ALSO THE CAR NEXT TO ME CAN PROBABLY HEAR ROBERT EVANS SHOUTING THINGS ABOUT NAZIS WITH NO CONTEXT

Android Auto integration is a huge plus but I assume the main thing I am looking for is some sort of volume normalization and/or dynamic range compression. Honestly it's the only feature I find BeyondPod to be missing.

I don't have Android Auto but I use Podcast Addict and I know that it does. It also has car layout for easy control and pretty much every feature you could want. There's a free ad supported version you could check out to see how it works for you before buying the full thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

B33rChiller posted:

Funny podcast rec: I've enjoyed How Did This Get Made? Comedic Hoolywood types ripping on crappy movies.

I wish they’d put up just regular episodes on iTunes rather than cherry picked live ones. Live means they’re all performing for the audience rather than just discussing the movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
HDTGM helped me to realize that I hate live episodes of podcasts. I thank them for the assistance along my journey through life.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Please try Overcast as a podcast app.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

TV Zombie posted:

Overcast is one of the best apps I have ever used. Does everything so well, with options of customization.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How do I mark stuff as played on Overcast?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The_Doctor posted:

How do I mark stuff as played on Overcast?

If you’ve listened to a podcast it’ll be marked under episode detail as played. If you want to listen to a specific episode of something, you just need to find it and then click on the episode, the episode will download and then play when you’re ready to go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Basically I want to start from where I left off on iTunes, so there’s going to be a bunch of eps that I don’t want to relisten to, and just want to mark as played.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

The_Doctor posted:

Basically I want to start from where I left off on iTunes, so there’s going to be a bunch of eps that I don’t want to relisten to, and just want to mark as played.

Swipe right on the episode.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

TV Zombie posted:

iOS only it appears. Podcast Addict (among others) has a "volume boost" feature which I have not tried yet, but it sounds like something that just makes things louder across the board.

I found a number of Google results like these:
https://ask.metafilter.com/294769/AudioFilter-Help-me-listen-to-podcasts-in-the-car
https://podcastaddict.uservoice.com/forums/211997-general/suggestions/4209961-add-an-option-to-normalize-the-audio-volume

Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue, but it also sounds like no current Android player has the problem solved. Rooted CyanogenMod can apparently do this, or you can run the downloaded episode through Audacity filters and manually transfer it to your device, but that is seriously into :effort: territory

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Discussion Quorum posted:

iOS only it appears. Podcast Addict (among others) has a "volume boost" feature which I have not tried yet, but it sounds like something that just makes things louder across the board.

I found a number of Google results like these:
https://ask.metafilter.com/294769/AudioFilter-Help-me-listen-to-podcasts-in-the-car
https://podcastaddict.uservoice.com/forums/211997-general/suggestions/4209961-add-an-option-to-normalize-the-audio-volume

Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue, but it also sounds like no current Android player has the problem solved. Rooted CyanogenMod can apparently do this, or you can run the downloaded episode through Audacity filters and manually transfer it to your device, but that is seriously into :effort: territory

I use the volume boost all the time when I am in the car, it works quite well for spoken podcasts but adds in some audio artifacting (sorry don't know the right words) for stuff that has really good sound design. Not sure if that matters to you, but there it is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, I got a bunch of soundproofing foam panels. Can I just Elmer's Glue this poo poo to my walls? At work I've seen they use this technique and I guess it works. My concern is that it could damage the paint on the wall, but since Elmer's is water-soluble, I figure a little hot water is all it will take to remove them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Get one of those over the head recording booths.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
That looks like a prop from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

credburn posted:

Hey, I got a bunch of soundproofing foam panels. Can I just Elmer's Glue this poo poo to my walls? At work I've seen they use this technique and I guess it works. My concern is that it could damage the paint on the wall, but since Elmer's is water-soluble, I figure a little hot water is all it will take to remove them.

Go to a hardware store and have them cut strips of MDF, two inches wide and the length of the foam panel’s longest dimension (think of them as mounting rails). Use 3M Super 77 spray glue to attach the rails to the top and bottom of each panel. Use Command Strips (with or without Velcro, it’s up to you) on the rails and affix the panels to the wall that way.

This is costly, but it might save you a security deposit (or the frustration of trying to make a wall look normal after you used adhesive on it).

Another way to go is to use t-pins (found in sewing supplies or office supplies) to pin the panels to your walls at several places. This assumes you have walls that are soft enough to take a pin... so if you have plaster walls or very dense/unforgiving sheetrock, this won’t work.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Thanks, that sounds like a much better way of doing it, and a process simple enough I can follow. I tested my theory of Elmer's glue with just one small part of it... the foam panel came off, but there's a large patch that kind of fused to the paint and now it looks like my wall has pubic hair :sigh:

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 22, 2020

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm going to imagine every podcast host wearing these whenever I listen to anything now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm going to imagine every podcast host wearing these whenever I listen to anything now.

Yes!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

HDTGM helped me to realize that I hate live episodes of podcasts. I thank them for the assistance along my journey through life.

It's definitely tough to pull off but some shows (usually with a professional audio engineer on staff) can make it work. The live Doughboys eps are fine.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The best parts of live HDTGM episodes are the occasional brief reminders that they have a guest (guests rarely follow their "yell as loud as they can nonstop" strategy of comedy) and the parts where Scheer takes a walking mic into the audience, which would be less stiff if they just rolled the mic out there on a skateboard with a rope tied to it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey I’m trying to remember the name of a podcast. The premise is that the host is a comic who invites other people he knows in the industry to write scripts for well known popular tv series that they have never seen.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey I’m trying to remember the name of a podcast. The premise is that the host is a comic who invites other people he knows in the industry to write scripts for well known popular tv series that they have never seen.

Spec Script, iirc

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/spec-script

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, that was it.

Listened to the first episode. It reminded me of everything I dislike about The Big Bang Theory and not in a good way.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

We should start thinking about offsites and discords, before this ship goes under (check gbs)

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

mike12345 posted:

We should start thinking about offsites and discords, before this ship goes under (check gbs)

Does anyone have a squarespace promo code?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cockblocktopus posted:

You're probably joking, but /r/podcasts is an ok enough alternative for finding new podcasts

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cockblocktopus posted:

Use promo code TANIS for 10% off. That's TANIS, use promo code TANIS, that's TANIS, it's websites for your ears.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I looked around and I didn't see a dedicated RGD discord, if one already exists please let me know.

I created a RGD discord: https://discord.gg/rTc2f7z

I am new to discord, so if anything is horribly wrong with the channel please let me know and I will try to fix. I like the RGD community and would be cool to keep it going.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mike12345 posted:

There's already a pretty big offsite people are moving to, and like a billion discords. Every thread with more than five active posters is making a discord

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The_Doctor posted:

The host of Sleep With Me supposedly records in his closet

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Goddamn does my feed get cluttered with PREVIEW eps sometimes
Just made me unsubscribe from a bunch of podcasts i'd added to try at some point or was planning to get back into :shrug: it gets kinda annoying

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I loving hate that. I wish there was a way to somehow opt out of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I also legit wonder why so many podcasts do it. Like, is there a huge group that doesn't subscribe to podcasts and needs to be enticed back with each episode?