Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://twitter.com/TNPerkins4/status/1270943108687998981/

drat, this is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, I miss that show. Darn you, Jeph Loeb.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dang, we coulda gotten xmen and a storyline where rogue takes carols powers?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I miss that show so bad

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is that Bill Foster???

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well now I'm sad

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
EMH could have been Marvel's DCAU if they hadn't thrown it all away for nothing :smith:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
good to see the harley quinn production crew doesnt think much of the chuds

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts came back and it is great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

dang, we coulda gotten xmen and a storyline where rogue takes carols powers?

Storm, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine all have the same symbol on the one side of their ribs.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Pretty sure that's the symbol on the suit of Guardian - leader of the Canadian Avengers knock-off Alpha Flight. Wonder if the other X-characters were even going to be mutants, what with the ip rights issues at the time.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

The WB youtube channel just ran a BTAS doc. It's about 1.5 hours long. It's a few years old, but still neat to watch. Kevin Conroy also was live tweeting during the live broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLpDvQ6vFI

https://twitter.com/RealKevinConroy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hey Chief posted:

Pretty sure that's the symbol on the suit of Guardian - leader of the Canadian Avengers knock-off Alpha Flight. Wonder if the other X-characters were even going to be mutants, what with the ip rights issues at the time.

I think marvel still fully owned the cartoon rights to X-Men, Wolverine had shown up in EMH already.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Which explains why we haven't had an xmen cartoon in ten years (right? Or was it something else?).

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Yeah, the last full X-Men cartoon was Wolverine and the X-Men in 2009, although it got cancelled after one season. There was also a limited series of "Marvel Anime" (in conjunction with Madhouse) in 2011 about the X-Men, sandwiched in between a Wolverine solo series and one about Blade.

Weird to think that the X-Men used to be Marvel's flagship title for about three solid decades.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuego Fish posted:

Yeah, the last full X-Men cartoon was Wolverine and the X-Men in 2009, although it got cancelled after one season. There was also a limited series of "Marvel Anime" (in conjunction with Madhouse) in 2011 about the X-Men, sandwiched in between a Wolverine solo series and one about Blade.

Weird to think that the X-Men used to be Marvel's flagship title for about three solid decades.

There was also an Iron Man anime during that period

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drrockso20 posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Please, Iron Manime.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fuego Fish posted:

EMH could have been Marvel's DCAU if they hadn't thrown it all away for nothing :smith:
Love how it became "we can't have this non-MCU animated avengers!" despite, you know, being able to use the established show to get more fans or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

Love how it became "we can't have this non-MCU animated avengers!" despite, you know, being able to use the established show to get more fans or something.

Honestly, given Loeb's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if his actual complaint was that it didn't suck enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly, given Loeb's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if his actual complaint was that it didn't suck enough.

Apparently Loeb did think kids were unable or unwilling to follow story arcs. So you're not wrong.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kinda hard to agree with that since the 90s X-Men cartoon had a bunch of story arcs and I followed them pretty well as a kid.

It still has the best version of Apocalypse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Azubah posted:

Kinda hard to agree with that since the 90s X-Men cartoon had a bunch of story arcs and I followed them pretty well as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bmn6bjlw70

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

Sure, I know that kids can follow long-form storytelling and you know they can and everybody reading this knows they can but it's absolutely one of the reasons Loeb cited the shift to being episodic in EMH and also why the next Avengers show started out that way. (Although they did storylines later, I guess? I dunno, I tried watching it initially but it was kinda boring and joyless.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if X-Men was really designed to expect viewers to remember long-term storylines. A lot of the arcs were fairly short, and when something big was happening that relied on previous buildup, they'd recap all of it at the beginning.

Of course, that wasn't because it was intended for kids, it was because long-term narratives were fairly rare on TV at the time, and shows in syndication would normally be expected to be aired in any sequence without trouble.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hell, 90s Spider-man had long-rear end chapters/arcs. Neogenic Nightmare felt like it went on forever.

"Kids can't follow long stories!" Is just a cheap-rear end excuse to say "this won't make sense in syndication!"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's me. I was the dumb kid who couldn't follow the 10 episode long story arcs in Spider-Man. I was just happy to see the spandex men (and Black Cat) fight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The problem with episodes that tie together sequentially is that they actually have to be aired in the correct order and in the analog cable/broadcasting era the viewer needed to be able to catch the episodes when they air (though VCRs helped). The former thing didn't always happen, sometimes infamously so, and as much as any kid wants to always be there after school or Saturday morning to watch their fave shows life gets in the way. So the viewer can get pretty confused or miss things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do kinda go back and forth on syndication shuffling though. Sometimes I kinda want to watch random episodes that might not be in order instead of always having to start from the beginning and move on through to the end.

Obviously for complex long-term narratives, that's not the best way to do things, but still there's something to be said for the experience of coming into the middle of a story sometimes instead of meticulously watching from the beginning. A lot of shows take a while to find their legs.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
This is why you need the foolproof solution of PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-K1D8y_Pxs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Does syndication still exist, even?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Azubah posted:

I really wonder if they had a separate writer just for Apocalypse's lines. The overwrought metaphors and self-entitled commentary were a treasure to behold.
Nothing beat John Colicos chewing the scenery. He was Kor in DS9. I think that was his last real roll.
:rip:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 21, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

With it finally getting a BD release, how was the Legion cartoon? I have... fond memories, I think, but I also couldn't tell you much about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Does syndication still exist, even?

Yes, just ask the zillion channels/networks running Big Bang Theory reruns

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A clip from the Harley Quinn cartoon showed up in my YouTube recs, and I decided to click it, and I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't seem to be the complete screaming mess that all the trailers made it out to be

So I signed up for a trial of DC universe and watched the whole series in two days and absolutely loved it. Humor hits the right notes, it never feels like they're swearing just because they can, the storyline is dang solid, and all of the voice casting felt perfect.

So while I've got this DC universe trial going, figured I'd catch up on some of the animated films I haven't seen. Currently watching Batman vs Robin and... I really hate both the character design and the voice acting.

A quick glance at wikipedia suggests that the VA for Damian has basically become the go-to for Damian for the past five years, so uh, not looking forward to the rest of these.

e: having Kevin Conroy as Thomas Wayne is a real kick in the knackers

Sockser fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 13, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Been Rewatching Batman Beyond. Man, he kills a lot of people.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sockser posted:

A clip from the Harley Quinn cartoon showed up in my YouTube recs, and I decided to click it, and I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't seem to be the complete screaming mess that all the trailers made it out to be

So I signed up for a trial of DC universe and watched the whole series in two days and absolutely loved it. Humor hits the right notes, it never feels like they're swearing just because they can, the storyline is dang solid, and all of the voice casting felt perfect.

So while I've got this DC universe trial going, figured I'd catch up on some of the animated films I haven't seen. Currently watching Batman vs Robin and... I really hate both the character design and the voice acting.

A quick glance at wikipedia suggests that the VA for Damian has basically become the go-to for Damian for the past five years, so uh, not looking forward to the rest of these.

e: having Kevin Conroy as Thomas Wayne is a real kick in the knackers

If you haven't watched the adaptations for Batman Year One and The Dark Knight Returns yet you really should, also it has very little to do with the source material besides a couple surface details but the movie for Gotham by Gaslight was pretty fun, and lastly the Fleischer Superman shorts are always worth revisiting

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Been Rewatching Batman Beyond. Man, he kills a lot of people.

There’s something really upsetting about that show that I can’t put into words. Usually, there’s a sense that superheroes in kids’ cartoons have some foundation of safety they can work from, like they go out and fight the villains but can count on being safe in Wayne Manor or the bat cave or what have you. In Batman Beyond, the characters always seemed so vulnerable, like their villains were all-powerful and could just have them committed or kicked out of school or destroyed in any number of ways, and they were basically helpless to do anything about it. I remember feeling uneasy the whole time watching as a kid, as the show was about a child and an old man who were vulnerable at all times and had no protection.

Maybe some of it is the amazing amount of body horror in the show, which kind of just extends to the honesty with which the show has about how when you get old, you just can’t do the things you used to do.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s something really upsetting about that show that I can’t put into words. Usually, there’s a sense that superheroes in kids’ cartoons have some foundation of safety they can work from, like they go out and fight the villains but can count on being safe in Wayne Manor or the bat cave or what have you. In Batman Beyond, the characters always seemed so vulnerable, like their villains were all-powerful and could just have them committed or kicked out of school or destroyed in any number of ways, and they were basically helpless to do anything about it. I remember feeling uneasy the whole time watching as a kid, as the show was about a child and an old man who were vulnerable at all times and had no protection.

Maybe some of it is the amazing amount of body horror in the show, which kind of just extends to the honesty with which the show has about how when you get old, you just can’t do the things you used to do.

Batman Beyond rules and this is absolutely one of the reasons why. It actually commits to "dystopian cyberpunk future" in a way that isn't just set dressing for robots and lasers in a kids' show. Terry and Bruce's campaign against evil is anachronistic, outdated, a tiny spark of hope in a world where evil has already propagated itself to every level of society. They have no support system, no long-term plan, and even between the two of them, their bond of trust is tenuous and fraying, and you always get the sense that Bruce could give up on Terry, or vice versa, after one bad argument.

Which makes it even more satisfying when Terry manages to stop the bleeding, fix a problem, bring a tiny bit of hope into the terrible world he's growing up in. It was an imaginatively perfect way to fill the mandate of "we want a Batman show where he's a teenager who goes to high school".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

drrockso20 posted:

If you haven't watched the adaptations for Batman Year One and The Dark Knight Returns yet you really should, also it has very little to do with the source material besides a couple surface details but the movie for Gotham by Gaslight was pretty fun, and lastly the Fleischer Superman shorts are always worth revisiting

I’ve seen both (all three) of those and loved them, loved Red Hood, Babel was okay, All Star Superman was fun, First Flight was decent, the Dark Knight anthology thing was good iirc, I do love the Fleisher cartoons but haven’t seen them in a solid decade so maybe I’ll take your advice and rewatch those

Are any of the recent animated films worth watching? I couldn’t finish Batman vs Robin, I just didn’t care enough after 20 minutes