Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My bucket truck has a remote start AND an idle up switch in the rear on the bucket control panel!

FC I would ha e done a lot more research before ordering all those filters but I ha w to remember you are keeping this and not one of 20 cars like me

Kaker that Prado is bomb. It has a uniqueness I dig it hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

My bucket truck has a remote start AND an idle up switch in the rear on the bucket control panel!

FC I would ha e done a lot more research before ordering all those filters but I ha w to remember you are keeping this and not one of 20 cars like me

Kaker that Prado is bomb. It has a uniqueness I dig it hard

It's like...the only way to know is to stare at the dang filter in person 🍑💨

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

French Canadian posted:

It's like...the only way to know is to stare at the dang filter in person 🍑💨

Almost like 3/4 of the filter manufacturers don't consider that maybe the gasket data could be important.
I still don't understand how every cross-reference equates filters with a gasket that ends before the ID of another one as the same filter. Someone isn't paying attention, and some bad data got out there and stuck.

Like the assertion by almost every exhaust header manufacturer claims that their headers won't fit a '70-'72 Cutlass Supreme, only the Cultass S, F-85, Vista Cruiser, and every other '70-'72 Cutlass, when there is literally no difference in the frame or engine compartment of a Supreme versus a non-Supreme Cutlass. Someone somewhere had a problem, or a weird car as a test fitter, and decided that Supremes had an "offset engine". (Hint: engine mounts are the same for ALL Cutlasses with a V8.)
But it's canon, now, and we Olds enthusiast just ignore it.

Oh, and almost every auto parts catalog has the drier for "dealer installed" versus "port installed" AC on FC RX-7s listed backwards. Have to look at pictures to confirm.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Baldwin B494 filters arrived.

As feared (but it was too late to stop the shipment) the gasket is larger than what the old filter has. :arghfist:🚐

This actually would work but because the outer perimeter of the engine side of things has been exposed to weather, it's got reasonable rust and not a smooth finish for the gasket to seal.

If I didn't have other filters coming I'd do some light refinishing of the mating surface. I don't think it's actually like a raised edge for gasket retention.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 12, 2020

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You could clean that rust up with some sandpaper.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Wrar posted:

You could clean that rust up with some sandpaper.

For sure. I will keep that as a backup option. Maybe I'll clean it up a bit regardless, as well. If my other filters fit then I'm just gonna go with those however.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I skimmed your posts ITT so pardon if I missed it but have you tried to find out if the correct filter for that engine is listed anywhere, or are you just cross-referencing the filter that came on it?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

angryrobots posted:

I skimmed your posts ITT so pardon if I missed it but have you tried to find out if the correct filter for that engine is listed anywhere, or are you just cross-referencing the filter that came on it?

PartSouq seems to get the smaller of the two filters right but i haven't found a place which explicitly calls out the larger one. Maybe my vehicle manual does? I have to look...

I got the PN for the larger secondary filter I'm chasing by looking at the old filter which has it printed on the side.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Okay I got me some more filters but the Luber Finer is clearly just a rebadged Baldwin. I ain't waiting another weekend for the Singapore filter. I took Wrar's advice and just cleaned up the outer perimeter that was rusty with some sandpaper. I thought it was worse but it was just surface rust.

Filter went on fine and I had a millimeter or two of leftover surface diameter.

Edit: seems to be running fine but lmao those 6 Isuzu filters that were off by a single end digit on the PN showed up. They look really good interns of gasket diameter (left filter).

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 14, 2020

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Whoa, weird transfer case - does this mean that you just lock the hubs and it's automatically in 4 high? Don't see a 2H option there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Whoa, weird transfer case - does this mean that you just lock the hubs and it's automatically in 4 high? Don't see a 2H option there.

button on the right side of the steering wheel, this diff lock switch is on the left, push button 4H with automatic hubs.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Cool, had no idea! I like a fully manual system myself but that's crazy they had pushbutton 4wd that early.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Hey glad to see the WI Collector tag worked. Do you really plan on taking that old Japanese steel out on the roads once the snow starts flying (minus January of course)?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

extreme_accordion posted:

Hey glad to see the WI Collector tag worked. Do you really plan on taking that old Japanese steel out on the roads once the snow starts flying (minus January of course)?

I do not. I dunno. Maybe for one or two trips? But otherwise no. It would be fun to try the 4WD out somewhere. But there aren't a lot of unpaved roads around Madison. I'd have to go west.

I also have a few quarts of MasterCoat to apply underneath which should help with the rust...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

So this is AI as hell. Driving across the country in a newly purchased Mitsubishi Delica to get it home.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/business/coronavirus-road-trip.html

From the chat thread. Who sold it? If it was someone in this thread, I'm going to be so pissed jealous.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

meatpimp posted:

From the chat thread. Who sold it? If it was someone in this thread, I'm going to be so pissed jealous.

Not anyone I know, but the fact that it was at Kellyn's Karr Automotive which is an hour south of me in Ft. Myers it was probably Kellyn himself, or someone he knows. At the most it was someone on the east coast. Kellyn runs the Delica USA forum, so its possible it was someone who imported on there.

Got the Blizzard looking pretty nice considering what it was like before. This is as far as I'm going to take it, which amounts to changing the oil, making sure it drives well, doesn't leak, and that the grill looks a ton better than it used to :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Atrai Turbo no claim. Got inspected and pod way more than I should but 69k km and that color

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Atrai Turbo no claim. Got inspected and pod way more than I should but 69k km and that color

You did get an inspection? I was scared away by the front bumper impact zone on the front left and the bent rear hatch right below 'TURBO'

I'm intensely curious what the inspector said, you mind sharing? Ever since we had that RV4 Mira turbo I've been casually looking for the same car but a van, which this Atrai is.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You know I’m Wild West, and I thought about just going as is and doing a sub 100 bid well I paid a lot more than that. We were able to inspect, Mat sends videos of everything I’ll see how I can share. Basically the ac blows cool not cold and one sliding g door only opens from inside. No leaks no rust way more than I wanted to pay but I think I’ll do good.

Private video bit here is inspection please critique, anyone seriously did I overpay? Did I get a deal? Would love to hear

https://youtu.be/lb6qZk1tbTc

everdave fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 17, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Hard to say without a price you paid but I'm worried about the steering wheel being so worn with only 60k~ km on it. Not that it isn't possible but out Mira had 53k km on it and the steering wheel wasn't worn at all.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don't usually like to say but I paid 185.

I am not doubting your concern on the steering wheel but they say miles are confirmed, I have a known 21k mile one owner Skyline that the steering wheel is trashed from I guess the old guys massive hand lotion usage, but who knows. Always a chance it is wrong...

Will see how it is when it gets here

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ78 5 speed. 234,000 km, and completely 100% all original down to the headunit. I've been hunting around for a 4 door HZ Cruiser for a bit but while the prices keep climbing at auction the amount of Cruisers that even show up seem to be lower than ever before. If I wanted an automatic then yeah sure I could have gotten a few but who the hell wants that when you can get a fancy manual wag stick? Scooped this off a dealer lot. :discourse:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looks freaking amazing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are those...angels singing?

Good lord that is majestic.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have any experience importing JDM cars into Canada? I've been looking around and doing my research, and just based on the auction sheets (which I know aren't perfect but good insight anyway), I can't believe how cheap cars are compared to their NA counterparts.

I've been looking for a GC8 (first gen Impreza sedan), preferably an STi, that I can use to build into a rally car. Around here (Ontario), a 200k km GC8, non-STi Impreza that is rusted out, has failing strut towers and blown head gaskets probably is still like 8k+. Good, clean examples are easily into the 15k range. Looking on the japanese auction sites, I see STi versions with 100k km or less, no rust at all, for 6-10k! The exceptionally clean undercarriage is especially amazing, you never see cars so clean around here unless they're new or a pure summer car (and even then...), and a rust free chassis is important for building a roll cage.

I'm curious about how much more importing fees, all in would be. Say I paid $8,250 or about 650,000 yen, what would be the final price I pay once its here? Obviously this is a huge ballpark but I'm curious about how much on top of extra auction price I can expect to pay. Is it still a good deal or is the true price like double what the settling bid at the auction house is?

I'm also curious if anyone has a JDM car insured in Ontario and what that's like. Our car insurance rules are notoriously restrictive here. If it's not insane though my brother and I are also interested in maybe importing some road cars as well, if prices really are as amazing as what they seem like. We have simpler tastes so no Skylines or Supras necessarily, a nice Type R Integra or even another STi would be cool.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just contact JCD and ask they ship to Canada.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Sold our green Prado today to the first person to come look at it. He originally emailed us about another Cruiser we had already sold. Paid full asking price and didn't attempt to haggle at all. :hellyeah:
To date now it's the largest single vehicle profit we've made so far.

I need more KZ Prados!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ78 5 speed. 234,000 km, and completely 100% all original down to the headunit. I've been hunting around for a 4 door HZ Cruiser for a bit but while the prices keep climbing at auction the amount of Cruisers that even show up seem to be lower than ever before. If I wanted an automatic then yeah sure I could have gotten a few but who the hell wants that when you can get a fancy manual wag stick? Scooped this off a dealer lot. :discourse:

I was always under the impression that the 78’s were the two door troopys? That looks like a 76 body but with the leaf sprung chassis from the 75 series- which Toyota never differentiated the model designation between the troopys and utesuntil they added the front coil springs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

I was always under the impression that the 78’s were the two door troopys? That looks like a 76 body but with the leaf sprung chassis from the 75 series- which Toyota never differentiated the model designation between the troopys and utesuntil they added the front coil springs

I guessed, it probably is a 77 if going by the other real 70 we sold that was a 4 door like this one, now that I'm looking. All the 4 door Prados we've had have all been 78s. I don't actually know yet because the website I used to find it doesn't list the chassis IDs like auctions.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

everdave posted:

Babby’s first angle grinder got rid of some unwanted rusty crap on the bucket and after making solid progress and busting out the translate app (there is a manual in Japanese as well but who needs that) the bucket kei is fully functional, no leaks or squeals I can’t believe it!

What you need to do is get a megaphone and get drunk and get in the bucket at midnight at start yelling "gently caress IT I GOT A BUCKET"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Bucket truck should be up on BAT this coming week not much time to accomplish that ha.

Been waiting on one of these and certainly didn’t need to win another one right now but 5 speed diesel 4wd Estima in my preferred factory color (046 Pearl White) had to

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

everdave posted:

Bucket truck should be up on BAT this coming week not much time to accomplish that ha.

There’s a midnight every 24 hours. :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

Been waiting on one of these and certainly didn’t need to win another one right now but 5 speed diesel 4wd Estima in my preferred factory color (046 Pearl White) had to

I don't need it either, but drat... if it wasn't poverty spec, I'd be interested. But those things need roofs and windows and toys.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's also gonna be pretty drat slow. Oh well. Worth it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I've been wanting an Estima too, but only the supercharged AWD bright green 5 speed manual dual moonroof version :colbert:

I'm fairly certain those exist in Japan though I'm not positive.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I don't need it either, but drat... if it wasn't poverty spec, I'd be interested. But those things need roofs and windows and toys.

I am not going to disagree but when I found a pearl white diesel 4wd 5 speed with granny doilies inside, one owner and CLEAN had to pick it up. Of course I want the moon roofs but I think this will be great for a build. 73k miles.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

I've been wanting an Estima too, but only the supercharged AWD bright green 5 speed manual dual moonroof version :colbert:

I'm fairly certain those exist in Japan though I'm not positive.

Far as I’ve ever been able to tell, the internet cobbled up this combo, it never really existed. Supercharged manuals exist, AWD manuals exist, supercharged AWD manuals don’t. Even the wide body versions are fairly rare in Japan, the narrower, shorter (for tax reasons) Lucida and Emina versions reign supreme.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I mean... what's stopping you from cobbling one together?

Okay, fine, you'd probably need to do it using a Previa, since it'd be a shame to import two, then strip one for parts. Finding Previas in junkyards is hard enough, but I'm sure you could build one with junkyard parts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

everdave posted:

I am not going to disagree but when I found a pearl white diesel 4wd 5 speed with granny doilies inside, one owner and CLEAN had to pick it up. Of course I want the moon roofs but I think this will be great for a build. 73k miles.

break the doilies out for Radwood, that van would be catnip for that sort of place.

for complete JDM style it's gonna need a omamori for good luck and protection while driving. that sort of thing would be a good traditional Japanese thing to provide to the cars some of you guys are selling through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Far as I’ve ever been able to tell, the internet cobbled up this combo, it never really existed. Supercharged manuals exist, AWD manuals exist, supercharged AWD manuals don’t. Even the wide body versions are fairly rare in Japan, the narrower, shorter (for tax reasons) Lucida and Emina versions reign supreme.

While I never say never from the past two years of looking I can’t recall seeing a 5 speed diesel with a supercharger at all, ever, moon roofs or not. Even 5 speed estimas are few and far between. But there could be one with all the options but I’m happy with the one I got and what I paid. It’s what I was looking for.

And I’ve had 3 or so vehicles out of 20+ that had a shrine blessing decal on it the PO had gone and got “blessed” with.