Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Foo Diddley posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean that HOTAS isn't supported. I mean, here's what IL-2 Sturmovik's store page says, and it definitely supports HOTAS setups:

Your average person don't call it HOTAS either. Which is why its lumped into generic support and not listed. I used to think controller supported mattered but IL-2 and a few others are "keyboard only" but totally 100% support proper HOTAS stuff..

If its not a trash game it probably works. And if it is a trash game you can probably still bind things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Man, multiple monitors as some sort of attempt at immersion sure looks massively dated these days dang

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KakerMix posted:

Man, multiple monitors as some sort of attempt at immersion sure looks massively dated these days dang

I remember years ago needing janky poo poo like the Matrox TripleHead2Go to actually make it work, doing bezel management stuff to make the graphics line up properly across the monitors, etc.

So much easier nowadays, as you can just grab a 21:9 or 32:9 monitor and call it a day.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EbolaIvory posted:

Your average person don't call it HOTAS either. Which is why its lumped into generic support and not listed. I used to think controller supported mattered but IL-2 and a few others are "keyboard only" but totally 100% support proper HOTAS stuff..
The more I think about it IIRC Steam's "controller support" tags came to be around the time the Steam Box and Big Picture Mode were announced and pretty much mean "can you play this game without a keyboard/mouse?".

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

The more I think about it IIRC Steam's "controller support" tags came to be around the time the Steam Box and Big Picture Mode were announced and pretty much mean "can you play this game without a keyboard/mouse?".

"Full Controller Support" means you can play the game from launch to finish without touching anything but the controller.

"Partial Controller" usually means that you need a mouse or keyboard to navigate a menu or a launch screen, but the game is probably playable with a controller after that.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 20, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Partial Controller Support can mean something as small as the game has a launcher you have to click play on before the game launches but the entire game can be played without ever having to touch a mouse or keyboard.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
For those that want to play Skyrim VR but not pay 60 loving dollars for a years old game, it's on sale for 18 bucks USD at the moment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/611670/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_VR/

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a different way to download Beatsaber Plalists than Beat Drop? Every time I try to add a .bplist file I get an uhandled Java exception error message. There's an issue open on Github for it but there hasn't been any activity on it for months.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was given a $10 credit in the oculus store so I said gently caress it and bought Virtual Desktop to see how sideloading it and streaming games would go as an alternative to Link.

Holy poo poo this rules. If you have the wifi/network to support this, don't even think about it. Just get it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, it works so much better than link. If it's not added as an official feature at some point I'd be shocked.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

IIRC, a HOTAS controller is just a joystick HID device, same as an xbox controller or "regular" joystick. It just has extra axis and buttons, should be a snap to write a script to do the bindings correctly

Shine posted:

Holy poo poo EA, please do not screw this up.

:lol::lol::lol:

:dice:

I wish there were a chrome extension for me to bookmark posts like this, with an alarm to come back and quote it a couple days after the launch of a video game, call the extension "I loving told you so". This game/launch reeks of a classic EA bait and switch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I wish there were a chrome extension for me to bookmark posts like this, with an alarm to come back and quote it a couple days after the launch of a video game, call the extension "I loving told you so". This game/launch reeks of a classic EA bait and switch

I mean not really.

Like it’s a $39.99 game and they’ve pretty much laid everything out. I don’t expect it to be some massive 20 campaign or anything but for what they are saying it is I’m absolutely in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, I am mostly interested in how buggy the multiplayer will be

The singleplayer is usually very polished with an unusually good framerate as the studio has to pass various quality reviews by both X-Box and Playstation teams etc etc. Often times graphics can even be turned up because the singleplayer uses a very different variant of the engine specific to each level/stage etc. Multiplayer is usually an absolute clusterfuck because it's much more of a sandbox and doesn't go through the same review processes.

Battlefield 4 was basically a warmed over version of Battlefield 3, should have been a slam-dunk mega map pack with some new vehicles and warmed-over code improvements, was a total clusterfuck anyways. Maybe this time, after 10 years, it'll be different

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is there a different way to download Beatsaber Plalists than Beat Drop? Every time I try to add a .bplist file I get an uhandled Java exception error message. There's an issue open on Github for it but there hasn't been any activity on it for months.

Beat Drop has stopped updating I think, Beatlist is the one I'm using right now.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lemming posted:

The best option for setting up your playspace is still getting a mat of some kind that sits on the ground such that as long as you're standing on it, you can't reach anything, with a noticeably different feel/height/texture from the floor surrounding it, that makes it obvious when you step off. Guardians that go up against your walls are fine for really slow games, but for faster games it's really never going to guarantee your safety. I highly highly recommend the mat approach for basically everyone.

I know this is days old but I was catching up with the thread and can't recommend this enough. I basically set up my play space border around my area rug which makes it incredibly obvious if I'm moving out of line since the floor is wood. Also nothing except a ferret cage is in reasonable punching distance from the edge of the rug.

It's a very large cage. The catsnakes were confused as to what the loud noise was, but they're fine.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Hadlock posted:

IIRC, a HOTAS controller is just a joystick HID device, same as an xbox controller or "regular" joystick. It just has extra axis and buttons, should be a snap to write a script to do the bindings correctly

God I wish it was this simple. In reality the OS hides this from applications, and you get your choice of two APIs: one that's ancient unsupported legacy garbage, and one that only supports xbox controllers. Guess which one mainstream titles opt for.

In rare cases both are implemented, but that takes extra effort, so...

Interestingly, this is one of the areas VR is massively improving. OpenXR's input API is, for the most part, forward thinking and genuinely good, to the extent that I wish it was available outside of VR.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 21, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It kind of is, Steam Input works the same way.

(emphasis on "kind of" because it's pretty kludgy)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hadlock posted:

Oh, I am mostly interested in how buggy the multiplayer will be

The singleplayer is usually very polished with an unusually good framerate as the studio has to pass various quality reviews by both X-Box and Playstation teams etc etc. Often times graphics can even be turned up because the singleplayer uses a very different variant of the engine specific to each level/stage etc. Multiplayer is usually an absolute clusterfuck because it's much more of a sandbox and doesn't go through the same review processes.

Battlefield 4 was basically a warmed over version of Battlefield 3, should have been a slam-dunk mega map pack with some new vehicles and warmed-over code improvements, was a total clusterfuck anyways. Maybe this time, after 10 years, it'll be different

This isn't a DICE game.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

sethsez posted:

This isn't a DICE game.

EA definitely has a history of loving up games broadly speaking

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

SCheeseman posted:

It kind of is, Steam Input works the same way.

(emphasis on "kind of" because it's pretty kludgy)

An API that only works on Steam is, predictably, inconsequential.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

w00tmonger posted:

EA definitely has a history of loving up games broadly speaking

this is true, but they are afraid of Disney and bad PR to an extent. the recent command and conquer remaster is a decent indication of what they're capable of if they don't gently caress anything up. I'm cautiously optimistic

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Room 3D camera passthrough on the Index with the newest SteamVR beta is nice, when used in ghost mode. I wish you could run that while in the void (i.e. the waiting area when disabling SteamVR).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Penpal posted:

this is true, but they are afraid of Disney and bad PR to an extent. the recent command and conquer remaster is a decent indication of what they're capable of if they don't gently caress anything up. I'm cautiously optimistic

Not to put it past EA to gently caress up, but yeah. The reaction to Battlefront 2's microtransactions were so loving bad that multiple countries talked about passing laws against loot crates.

There is no way that Disney was happy with the reaction(they're also probably not happy that they gave EA an exclusive contract to make Star Wars games in 2013 and they've only managed to make three of them so far, two of which were mired in controversy. With multiple other projects cancelled.). They are probably on very thin ground Disney.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My valve index has always had an issue with steam vr saying it can't connect to the hmd on start up (436) but I could usually get around it by unplugging the trident cable, closing steam vr, plugging it back in, and starting steam vr.

Recently, it has gotten where that's not working either.

Steam support is going to send me a new trident cable. If that doesn't work, I guess the next step is too rma the hmd.

Anyone else have experience with this problem?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lowen SoDium posted:

My valve index has always had an issue with steam vr saying it can't connect to the hmd on start up (436) but I could usually get around it by unplugging the trident cable, closing steam vr, plugging it back in, and starting steam vr.

Recently, it has gotten where that's not working either.

Steam support is going to send me a new trident cable. If that doesn't work, I guess the next step is too rma the hmd.

Anyone else have experience with this problem?

I had the same experience when I first set up my Index, and switching which DP port I was using on my card seemed to fix the issue completely. As far as I could tell from my cards documentation the ports were all equivalent

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rectus posted:

Valve just added support for real-time 3D environment reconstruction for the Index cameras.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2471861771402099478

Works surprisingly well even.

I've updated everything I can seem to update, and I have an index, and the option is not where they claim it should be. I've restarted steam, the whole PC, etc. No client updates when I ask. Is there a way to force SteamVR itself to update, or do I have to enable some other option? Camera's on, the camera test itself works fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You need to switch to the beta branch, IIRC.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Brownie posted:

I had the same experience when I first set up my Index, and switching which DP port I was using on my card seemed to fix the issue completely. As far as I could tell from my cards documentation the ports were all equivalent

Yeah, I tried every port on 2 different cards. It seems like my issue is either in the headset or the cable. Guess I will find out once the replacement cable gets here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Combat Pretzel posted:

You need to switch to the beta branch, IIRC.

Anything besides this?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Anything besides this?

That's for Steam itself. Find SteamVR in your library, right click -> properties -> betas tab.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AHHHHH. Thank you. I went looking for it, but it apparently doesn't show up in my "VR" category for some inexplicable reason, so I couldn't find the app itself, thought maybe it was black magic app-wise and the only way to mess with it was the little VR button in the top right corner of the steam UI.

e: Oh, I see. It considers it a tool, and I had those turned off in my library.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 21, 2020

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I've had an issue with my Quest where the display hangs and lags when I wake it/put it on after it's been off for anywhere from a couple hours to a few days. It's consistently doing it, and the only solution/suggestion I saw was to clear the Guardian history, which hasn't worked (it seemed to at first, but it still does it just as often even if I clear it every session now). Has anyone had any experience with this? I basically have to reboot it right before using it for it to work properly.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Rift S plus glasses. Who's done it? Do I need to order the fancy inserts, or will I be just fine

my glasses are not extra large or anything

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Deeturbomber posted:

I've had an issue with my Quest where the display hangs and lags when I wake it/put it on after it's been off for anywhere from a couple hours to a few days. It's consistently doing it, and the only solution/suggestion I saw was to clear the Guardian history, which hasn't worked (it seemed to at first, but it still does it just as often even if I clear it every session now). Has anyone had any experience with this? I basically have to reboot it right before using it for it to work properly.

You have any weird sideloaded apps on it? I know a couple were causing stability issues even when they weren't being used.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

hhhat posted:

Rift S plus glasses. Who's done it? Do I need to order the fancy inserts, or will I be just fine

the width limit is 142mm and the height limit is 50mm

i seem to be right at the width limit, on the front of the glasses, anyway. I'll do research like a good citizen

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

You have any weird sideloaded apps on it? I know a couple were causing stability issues even when they weren't being used.

Only BMBF and whatever the sideloaded thing is to install link functionality in Virtual Desktop.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Speaking of sideloading things, how worthwhile is that Sharpness Upgrade adb patch for the Quest that I've seen on the youtubes? Is this like nerd placebo, or should I do that after I finish setting up wireless Virtual Desktop?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

hhhat posted:

I do, my glasses are 13cm wide and I have no problems with them fitting in.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Veotax posted:

I do, my glasses are 13cm wide and I have no problems with them fitting in.

mine seem to be right on the edge of 142mm

i guess i'll find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

hhhat posted:

I picked up some plano inserts because I'm paranoid about the lenses but as far as comfort, it's fine.