Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Most locations in King's Canyon at Launch looked Titan traversable, and those that didn't would often have that debris/infantry cover that reads as "Don't Even Try To Bring Your Titan In Here". I swear they were hedging their bets regarding Titans for a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I imagine “LTM event with Titans” is their break glass in case of emergency option should the playerbase start dropping.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Senethro posted:

Most locations in King's Canyon at Launch looked Titan traversable, and those that didn't would often have that debris/infantry cover that reads as "Don't Even Try To Bring Your Titan In Here". I swear they were hedging their bets regarding Titans for a long while.

I've heard somewhere that apex legends really was going to have titans in it for a while during the early concept phases. Ultimately it got scrapped to focus on player versus player engagements.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ineffiable posted:

I've heard somewhere that apex legends really was going to have titans in it for a while during the early concept phases. Ultimately it got scrapped to focus on player versus player engagements.

This is correct, and there's some articles with developers describing it.

Basically as you should expect, titans in Apex simply can't work in the context of them being offensive weapons, but maybe someday one will show up in PvE content or in a different context entirely than 'destructive machines' per the dev.

They also had pilots with wall running and everything for a while but again found that it just didn't work as well for the type of game Apex was meant to be, and I agree with them, as much as I want to wall run in Apex because it's fun as poo poo.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blind Duke posted:

They are all nice, but some have an awkwardness that makes them difficult vs more straightforward guns like the CAR. Cold War, Wingman, Mastiff, Volt, Devotion, etc. They all have a situation and range where they slap but in your average range suddenly see a pilot wallrun around a corner a point and shoot will do you better.

There is no range at which the Volt is appreciably different to or better than the CAR. (I use the CAR very seldom because it's considered vulgar for more experienced players to use it too much; the Volt is more or less a balanced version.)

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 21, 2020

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

sigher posted:

I feel that, I miss the turrets too.

Also, Homestead is the fuckin' worst map; why haven't they brought back every map from TF1? That should have been a given considering TF1 is a dead game. I mean, I guess they'd have to do without the turrets, but I miss that huge Dam level and the desert area with those dragon dinosaur things.

Homestead is the second best Kraber map behind Angel City, so if you have fun with the extremely slow-firing slow-projectile sniping game it's not too bad.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, Attrition is still a really fun mode.

Hopefully the pop from the Steam Sale is mostly retained. The game deserves a second lease of life.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

SUNKOS posted:

Having those automated turrets around maps that you could hack was really cool, I dunno why they removed that from TF2 because that combined with being able to hack spectres was awesome, especially the burn card system where you could have an army of them following you around. The main thing for me however was the maps and they were all so good in TF1 but TF2 comparatively had a lot of really bad maps that just weren't fun. I dunno what happened with quality of level design decreasing so much.

All the best TF2 maps are TF1 maps. Great game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

All the best TF2 maps are TF1 maps. Great game.

I do miss Boneyard sometimes.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

SUNKOS posted:

Having those automated turrets around maps that you could hack was really cool, I dunno why they removed that from TF2 because that combined with being able to hack spectres was awesome, especially the burn card system where you could have an army of them following you around. The main thing for me however was the maps and they were all so good in TF1 but TF2 comparatively had a lot of really bad maps that just weren't fun. I dunno what happened with quality of level design decreasing so much.

You can hack spectres in titanfall 2

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Man, Attrition is still a really fun mode.

My only problem with attrition is when there are too many titans on the map and being on foot becomes lame. I think a cap on the number of tiatns active at one time per team (2 or 3) would be good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Man, this 15 game losing streak is not doing much to keep my spirits up. Closest game I had in that streak, we lost by 100

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The reason this game keeps dying again after every surge is the toxic bittervets who take every new player rush to only pubstomp instead of also giving the new players some pointers or at least being welcoming...
:shrug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The reason this game keeps dying again after every surge is the toxic bittervets who take every new player rush to only pubstomp instead of also giving the new players some pointers or at least being welcoming...
:shrug:

Yeah, nobody has said a thing in game except gamer words and bragging. It's been fun so far (38% win rate lol)

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Neurosis posted:

There is no range at which the Volt is appreciably different to or better than the CAR. (I use the CAR very seldom because it's considered vulgar for more experienced players to use it too much; the Volt is more or less a balanced version.)

Volt was my pity inclusion

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I've only had one game with toxic chat. It was a guy with a RDDT tag and everyone just made fun of him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Man, this 15 game losing streak is not doing much to keep my spirits up. Closest game I had in that streak, we lost by 100

That's actually pretty close, unless you're like 200 or 300 behind then you got hosed, most games there's like a 50-100 point difference between teams. It's not a complete shut out.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Goon gaming discord for those who want to team up for some titanfall 2 matches: https://discord.gg/GKAjUC

We have a dedicated channel and can get you added to the tag for when you ping (or pulse blade am I right?) for games. We already get three to five folks on several times a week so with the game coming on steam I’m sure we can get more players and more frequency. Super low key, no worries about your skill

Expired invite code :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neurosis posted:

My only problem with attrition is when there are too many titans on the map and being on foot becomes lame. I think a cap on the number of tiatns active at one time per team (2 or 3) would be good.

That's more a map design issue. The first game was well balanced so every team could have max titans out and pilots still had plenty of areas where they were safe to fight in. Titanfall 2 really opened up the maps with a lot more open space for titans and less places for pilots to hide, with the trade off being that titans could no longer regenerate shields. Personally I liked how the first game handled everything because to the average player, titans in TF2 kinda feel like glass cannons, whereas it was easier to spend the whole match in one in the first game (your shields would keep regenerating).

I think Respawn wanted to raise the skill ceiling given the players they were attracting and what the streamers/pros wanted but they created a hostile environment for new players where there's too much to learn. Even as someone who loved the first game I was having embarrassing malfunctions getting to grips with the new titans and how fragile they are in the sequel.

Also I just really, really miss so many of those maps :negative:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Beef posted:

Expired invite code :(

This one should not expire: https://discord.gg/gRs5CXf

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I forgot how fun the grenadier weapons are :allears:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I found that pulling batteries 24/7 to be more fun than actually driving a titan myself.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've been playing Frontier Defense just to not be embarrassingly bad at the game. But I feel like I just have to suck it up and go on a 100 game losing streak to get the most out of the game :D

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wheeee posted:

This is correct, and there's some articles with developers describing it.

Basically as you should expect, titans in Apex simply can't work in the context of them being offensive weapons, but maybe someday one will show up in PvE content or in a different context entirely than 'destructive machines' per the dev.

They also had pilots with wall running and everything for a while but again found that it just didn't work as well for the type of game Apex was meant to be, and I agree with them, as much as I want to wall run in Apex because it's fun as poo poo.

Yeah I'm going off a friend who was invited to some very early feedback on a game that ultimately became apex legends and multiplayer like tf2.

Ultimately it looks like it got pivoted all into another BR game. I hope we see a proper Titanfall3 one day.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

John DiFool posted:

I just wish that more of the anti-titan weapons centered around good aim.

I think this is the problem, Anti-Titan weapons do tons of damage and it's really braindead using them. I ran into this one player that would plop on a roof once Titan's started dropping, put down his Amped Wall and start shooting that slow moving ball of electricity. Really wasn't much we could do against it unless we got out of the Titan to kill him.

Also incendiary grenades ruin Titans as well.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Hey goons complaining about stomps etc -- actually get on the drat discord and group up thanks. You will have more fun and possibly even win some games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Hey goons complaining about stomps etc -- actually get on the drat discord and group up thanks. You will have more fun and possibly even win some games.

Are there people joining up on ps4? I might actually do that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I still think that Reapers should be out of the game, they're just a complete annoyance and are way too tanky. I've hated them since release.

Still though, this game is the greatest thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

sigher posted:

I still think that Reapers should be out of the game, they're just a complete annoyance and are way too tanky. I've hated them since release.

Still though, this game is the greatest thing.

Reapers gently caress up my titan game more than other titans do...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SUNKOS posted:

That's more a map design issue. The first game was well balanced so every team could have max titans out and pilots still had plenty of areas where they were safe to fight in. Titanfall 2 really opened up the maps with a lot more open space for titans and less places for pilots to hide, with the trade off being that titans could no longer regenerate shields. Personally I liked how the first game handled everything because to the average player, titans in TF2 kinda feel like glass cannons, whereas it was easier to spend the whole match in one in the first game (your shields would keep regenerating).

Also I just really, really miss so many of those maps :negative:

I spent the majority of at least one gen in titanfall 1 in one titan per match, every match. Strider and quad rocket, usually, just boosting all over the map and generally being the absolute worst kind of player because I was score farming for MVPs to regenerate. Never getting shot out because you could forever disengage wasn't ideal for the health of the game, so all in all TF2's probably a better approach even if I liked being able to stay in a single titan more or less forever in 1. One of those 'small sacrifice for me, big positive for everyone' kind of changes.

if you want to stay in your titan forever, Frontier Defense is the mode. Perhaps not coincidentally I've played a lot more FD than any other mp.

e: burning titan drop, satchel charging yourself, then burning map hack was one hell of a pro combo at making the other team absolutely hate you, though. And definitely same on missing some TF1 maps.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 21, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I actually like Reapers, even though they are annoying as heck. I think Titanfall, like Destiny, is best when it's complete and utter chaos, and they really add to that. They're really dangerous to titans and pilots since they'll jump up on buildings but their attacks and look just adds to the variety and I like there being all sorts of friendly/enemy units on screen fighting you and each other. That's one of the cool things about Titanfall and the way they used the cloud stuff for AI units was that at it's core, it's not just a great shooter with a great titan mechanic, but the potential is there for it to be an amazing battle simulator if they ever expand on it and really go all-in.

A hypothetical Titanfall 3 with huge maps (designed like the first game however) with hackable towers everywhere, hundreds of grunts, loads of spectres, reapers, aliens (why not?!) all over the map fighting with explosions everywhere etc. would be wonderfully chaotic fun. Dropships constantly swooping down to replace lost troops so the chaos never relents, it would be awesome. Maybe even go beyond reapers and start giving teams autopilot titans as well just to add to the chaos so titan rumbles are insane and pilots are spoiled for choice with what to blow up :3:

Add some aspects of the level that have a degree of destruction? E.g. weaker building that can be destroyed and defenses blown up etc. and it would be perfect.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

I actually like Reapers, even though they are annoying as heck. I think Titanfall, like Destiny, is best when it's complete and utter chaos, and they really add to that. They're really dangerous to titans and pilots since they'll jump up on buildings but their attacks and look just adds to the variety and I like there being all sorts of friendly/enemy units on screen fighting you and each other. That's one of the cool things about Titanfall and the way they used the cloud stuff for AI units was that at it's core, it's not just a great shooter with a great titan mechanic, but the potential is there for it to be an amazing battle simulator if they ever expand on it and really go all-in.

A hypothetical Titanfall 3 with huge maps (designed like the first game however) with hackable towers everywhere, hundreds of grunts, loads of spectres, reapers, aliens (why not?!) all over the map fighting with explosions everywhere etc. would be wonderfully chaotic fun. Dropships constantly swooping down to replace lost troops so the chaos never relents, it would be awesome. Maybe even go beyond reapers and start giving teams autopilot titans as well just to add to the chaos so titan rumbles are insane and pilots are spoiled for choice with what to blow up :3:

Add some aspects of the level that have a degree of destruction? E.g. weaker building that can be destroyed and defenses blown up etc. and it would be perfect.

Hey, Vince Zampella is head of DICE LA now. Battlefield: Titanfall please

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Sucks when your Titan is somehow getting owned by pilots just hiding in unhittable spots but overall it’s good that the game flows back and forth between pilots and titans, with lots of overlap. Gives you the tactical decision as a team about when you should drop. Drop first to get a quick lead or wait til everyone has their titans so you can gang up?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

Hey, Vince Zampella is head of DICE LA now. Battlefield: Titanfall please

I hope they stick to the same engine, at least. Look at what Frostbite did to Need For Speed. As it is, they said no Titanfall projects are in development which sucks. Given the success of Apex Legends and their Star Wars game I think we know what their developmental focus will be going forward. I think they recently committed to actually making a proper (or expanding the existing) Apex Legends team.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Sucks when your Titan is somehow getting owned by pilots just hiding in unhittable spots but overall it’s good that the game flows back and forth between pilots and titans, with lots of overlap. Gives you the tactical decision as a team about when you should drop. Drop first to get a quick lead or wait til everyone has their titans so you can gang up?

This is part of the reason I miss burn cards. I know people hated them (tbh I think mainly for the enhanced smart pistol aiming card) but when a match started and someone dropped a titan instantly? It mixed things up and I don't actually think it was unbalanced because they nailed it so well in Titanfall 1 that yeah, someone could go and take that Titan right away if they wanted, it wasn't a win button, it just added nice variety and when you had a bunch of people doing it, it was really just funny and exciting. Sometimes you'd get someone do it one game and the next game the entire opposing team would spawn with titans in retaliation which was funny.

I miss the frames and customization as well. The sheer speed and zoominess of that lighter-framed titan when it activated its core was hilarious. It really was the Burnout of first person shooters.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
tbh in Titanfall 1 I actually do better on foot than in my titan. Running around and zapping bots with the smart pistol is piss easy and scores major points, and the MAG launcher shreds titans, but for some reason I just can't get back into the swing of titan piloting. (specifically the reason is probably the sweaties who haven't put the game down in 6 years...)

I probably just need to play more, wait for a friendly titanfall before I drop, and get better at playing 40mm peek-a-boo.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 21, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Titanfall and Apex play so well largely because they're on Source and because Respawn just did their own thing, if Titanfall 3 gets EA'd into some Battlefield-esque Frostbite-powered thing it'll almost certainly be a turd.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SUNKOS posted:

I actually like Reapers, even though they are annoying as heck. I think Titanfall, like Destiny, is best when it's complete and utter chaos, and they really add to that. They're really dangerous to titans and pilots since they'll jump up on buildings but their attacks and look just adds to the variety and I like there being all sorts of friendly/enemy units on screen fighting you and each other.

I don't mind if they're dangerous, I just wish they didn't have so much health. Taking 3 Charge Rifle shots to die? gently caress that, eat a dick. Several Salvos and a full clip of my XO-16 just for one to die? Ugh. I'd rather engage with other players and Titans rather than them. That's the real problem with that, they distract you from the interesting combat and they aren't fun to fight, but they aren't squishy like Grunts or Spectres so you actually have to focus them to kill them or just leave them alone and do fun stuff instead. It takes so long to kill them by yourself that it isn't worth the effort for the points or build up of meter, they don't do anything interesting to keep the combat against them fun and they shouldn't withstand enough of my Titan's firepower that I have to reload my main cannon just to finish a single one off when they're small enough that my Titan could just crush it under it's weight.

I wouldn't mind if Reapers were huge, slow tanky things that were half the size of my Titan and they looked the part and there were maybe 2 spawned at a time to cockblock lanes, but as it stands they're just too annoying to deal with and not worth killing.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Beef posted:

I found that pulling batteries 24/7 to be more fun than actually driving a titan myself.

I do this every chance I get. gently caress your titan bro

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The first game had a buncha mechanics that allowed those bad at shooters to do well. From the smart pistol to being able to contribute by farming grunts to titan shields regenerating. It's an element that should be maintained in any future entry in the series. Let everything you do feel incredibly cool, even if you are not the best at the game. Then have a high skill ceiling above that with movement tricks and keeping a bead on targets while everyone is flipping around the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Smart Pistol should never make a return.