Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Garrett show with Dave and the UK reporter is quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

The show wasn't exactly considered progressive at the time, either. It's not Home Improvement where the show actually thinks the chauvinism is correct. They were definitely courting an audience of people who would think Al was right, but they were also making fun of them.

eh home improvement never really ever had chauvinism be right, usually it was wrong to a hilarious degree and tim would listen to jill or wilson who were right to fix his fuckup

now last man standing on the other hand

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

eh home improvement never really ever had chauvinism be right, usually it was wrong to a hilarious degree and tim would listen to jill or wilson who were right to fix his fuckup

now last man standing on the other hand

Then when LMS got canceled, Allen claimed it was because of an industry bias against conservative Hollywood talent

Forgetting of course that while he may be conservative, he has no talent, and also that same Hollywood machine made him a millionaire. The only episodes of Home Improvement I remember are the ones where one of his sons gets cancer and he handles it obscenely badly, and the one where Christoper McDonald shows up (AKA Shooter McGavin).

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Then when LMS got canceled, Allen claimed it was because of an industry bias against conservative Hollywood talent

Forgetting of course that while he may be conservative, he has no talent, and also that same Hollywood machine made him a millionaire. The only episodes of Home Improvement I remember are the ones where one of his sons gets cancer and he handles it obscenely badly, and the one where Christoper McDonald shows up (AKA Shooter McGavin).

How could you forget the one where Brad gets an undercut pony nub that everyone inexplicably got 23 years later?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Seams posted:

The Garrett show with Dave and the UK reporter is quite good

Yeah, once again all the people complaining about Dave didn't actually listen to the show. How interesting

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

There had been rumors for many years that Dixie was sleeping with wrestlers and jokes that it might be some cuck thing with Serg. (It is believed this is the dirt that Nash had on Dixie that got him out of his TNA contract.) Fans would see her holding hands with Raven at shows, but there was never direct confirmation.

A few years later Bruce Mitchell posted this quiz in the Torch as a funny way to confirm it

I believe there was someone else who got a Hernandez like push off of it too but I don't remember who. It's a company with a completely hosed up history of sexual harassment and abuse, much of it against women but some against men too. Just a completely hosed up company in every respect.

Weren't there allegations of Bob Ryder abusing wrestlers as well? I feel like Abyss was part of that but might be conflating that with something else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Weren't there allegations of Bob Ryder abusing wrestlers as well? I feel like Abyss was part of that but might be conflating that with something else.

That allegation is from the sleaze thread over at DVDVR. Which isn't to say it definitely didn't happen, but there were absolutely people making poo poo up in that thread. Pretty sure the only wrestlers who posted in that thread were Shirley Doe and Jacey North.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yes, which I always assumed was bullshit until I was told that it was probably true.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, which I always assumed was bullshit until I was told that it was probably true.

I always felt like there was some low-key grooming happening via TNA Mecca back when that was a thing. Chris Regal claimed to be gay and had a pretty weird relationship (though everything about Mecca was weird) with Ryder, who also used to post there. But like with everything else you never knew what to believe from anyone on that site.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah, once again all the people complaining about Dave didn't actually listen to the show. How interesting

I like that move, and I enjoyed the couple times people were smugly saying how it was interesting that Dave wasn't covering the situation, and someone would point out all the stuff he's done covering it, and they'd somehow try to make it his fault they didn't bother to look.

Someday, someone will expose Dave for the monster he really is.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

it's only about the 23rd time in the last year that certain people here have tried to cancel Dave

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

hunnert car pileup posted:

it's only about the 23rd time in the last year that certain people here have tried to cancel Dave

To be fair he has written / said stupid stuff recently. But yeah.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

He hasn't said anything about Ospreay. I wonder why that is?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's because boomers love ospreay

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm sad to report that the second Filthy Tom/Sempervive UFC coverage show sees little improvement from the first, still little chemistry between the two and pretty meandering overall.

Tom actually shared a story of when he himself got sexually assaulted some years ago, that was pretty interesting.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 21, 2020

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The Big Daddy Yum Yum most improved forums joke is no longer funny to me :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Incessant Excess posted:

Filthy Tom/Sempervive UFC coverage show

Why would anybody willingly listen to this

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I wish I remember when it happened, but there as an Observer item in the mid-2000s that literally only made sense if you knew the casting couch rumors about Ryder. Something about Brian James getting really pissed off in the back and cutting a scathing promo on Ryder about "how he treats the wrestlers" or something like that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The Big Daddy Yum Yum most improved forums joke is no longer funny to me :(

Oh God loving damnit I had no idea he was a shitlord too

burn wrestling to the ground

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Alvarez not mentioning Go Shiozaki v Fujita for best matches in the quarantine era is a grave oversight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I enjoyed Dave vomiting words out for 10 minutes to basically say Jim Cornette had almost no power in OVW whatsoever even when he was running it since WWE was outright telling him who to push and completely ignoring his recommendations on who to call up.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Yeah, back when Cornette's podcast was just about old rasslin' & not all the bullshit it ended up becoming, he mentioned that he'd send lists of workers to Stamford, ranked from "most ready" to "least ready" & they'd always take guys off the bottom of the lists. Shows how much his word was worth to the office.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Maybe Cornette had no legitimate power there. But you see, its the implication...

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo I never want to hear Dave talk about Cornette again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dave really needs to think about what he's going to say on sensitive, serious subjects because his just ramble on method is absolutely terrible. Fine for a Raw review but talking about abuse cases like that is rife for misunderstandings in the best case scenario. I know that's not the San Jose Steamroller's style but he really shouldn't be stream of conscienceing this stuff.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Agreed on both of the last two posts. Bryan also needs to do a much better job of stepping in to call Dave out on this kind of stuff. Even if it is just to get him to stop rambling.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dave needs to do a better job of stepping in and telling Bryan what he needs to do because of how blind and weird he can be about random things while being hyperfocused on some other thing as well

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dave has been soft covering for Cornette for a while. Go back and listen to Dave's rambling idiocy about Cornette's racist rear end joke on NWA powerr. Dave dances around it the entire time and never once points out the statement was racist or that Cornette is a racist with a long track record of racist remarks. Dave doesn't even say "racist" or "racism" once. He even uses a "whataboutism" trying to deflect by bringing up Randy Orton dropping the n word on a stream.

It's disgusting and if people care about getting racists, creeps, and abusers out of wrestling they should stop supporting him and F4W. Dave is definitely part of the old school code of silence/look the other way crowd.

https://youtu.be/7vqdUIv18bA

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 23, 2020

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dave is a blessing and a curse. He's completely unable to forego small details to focus on the big picture and it's a blessing when it comes to wrestling history but it's a complete curse in relation to any kind of social issue or wrongdoing.

You can tell in his Cornette rambling that, in his mind, if Cornette doesn't have that power, Cornette can't hold it over anyone's head, whereas in reality, Cornette may not have the direct power but he had a fuckload of influence and that influence is enough to create fear in people, which is what leads to the gross abuses that happened at his hands. Meltzer, for whatever reason, cannot process things in a simple "this is good, this is bad" way.

That leads to him being unable to process anything without mentioning incredibly low probability hypotheticals where what happened might not be bad, as if it's relevant to the discussion. We all understand that if someone willingly wanted to cuck Jim Cornette, that is the business of the three parties involved and nobody else. Unfortunately, that's not what is included in anyone's stories and the odds of it are so astronomically low that it's not worth discussing at all. But for whatever reason he feels like he needs to give that possibility equal time rather than the proportional amount of time, which would be zero.

You see it on a small scale with correcting Bryan's obvious hyperbole, but he also does it with his Japan trips, where he'll mention something about being somewhere with his son and Jim Valley and then totally backtrack to have to include that his son's girlfriend was there too as if any of it matters. He can't just talk about the relevant parts of something. He has to throw in every loving thing that pops into his mind and it's cool when it's a history thing because he really fleshes everything out in detail, but on poo poo like this it just ends up with him spewing irrelevant garbage out of his mouth to the point of being tone deaf.

He needs a severe check on the poo poo that comes out of his mouth. I sincerely do believe that he's not intentionally being malicious, but it's well past time for someone to call him out in a big way and try to correct what he's doing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Dave is a blessing and a curse. He's completely unable to forego small details to focus on the big picture and it's a blessing when it comes to wrestling history but it's a complete curse in relation to any kind of social issue or wrongdoing.

You can tell in his Cornette rambling that, in his mind, if Cornette doesn't have that power, Cornette can't hold it over anyone's head, whereas in reality, Cornette may not have the direct power but he had a fuckload of influence and that influence is enough to create fear in people, which is what leads to the gross abuses that happened at his hands. Meltzer, for whatever reason, cannot process things in a simple "this is good, this is bad" way.

That leads to him being unable to process anything without mentioning incredibly low probability hypotheticals where what happened might not be bad, as if it's relevant to the discussion. We all understand that if someone willingly wanted to cuck Jim Cornette, that is the business of the three parties involved and nobody else. Unfortunately, that's not what is included in anyone's stories and the odds of it are so astronomically low that it's not worth discussing at all. But for whatever reason he feels like he needs to give that possibility equal time rather than the proportional amount of time, which would be zero.

You see it on a small scale with correcting Bryan's obvious hyperbole, but he also does it with his Japan trips, where he'll mention something about being somewhere with his son and Jim Valley and then totally backtrack to have to include that his son's girlfriend was there too as if any of it matters. He can't just talk about the relevant parts of something. He has to throw in every loving thing that pops into his mind and it's cool when it's a history thing because he really fleshes everything out in detail, but on poo poo like this it just ends up with him spewing irrelevant garbage out of his mouth to the point of being tone deaf.

He needs a severe check on the poo poo that comes out of his mouth. I sincerely do believe that he's not intentionally being malicious, but it's well past time for someone to call him out in a big way and try to correct what he's doing.

Well put. The guy is too "stream of consciousness" for his own good when he's speaking off the cuff. It's how he's wired, and I'd be shocked if he could ever change that, but I've never read malice from him.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Dango Bango posted:

Agreed on both of the last two posts. Bryan also needs to do a much better job of stepping in to call Dave out on this kind of stuff. Even if it is just to get him to stop rambling.

Any more, I think Bryan just doesn’t want to touch the poop on these ramblings of Dave’s

When this started breaking on Twitter, I was expecting to quit my subscription over how Dave covered this. He’s just had a bad run on women’s issues. I’d honestly give him a B+/A- on it overall, and easily an A based on my expectations of him. That is, up until the extremely embarrassing Cornette segment today.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dave's continuing run of covering for Cornette is repulsive. Is he doing it out of intentional malice? No, but he's so far behind the times at this point he needs to be pushed into irrelevance and sent out pasture with Cornette and other wrestling dinosaurs who just don't get it.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 23, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The entire site's handling of this has been loving abhorrent. Today, Bryan read out Lagana's entire statement on WOL, giving him airtime the victim never got. Why is the only side of this we need to hear Lagana's?

Why the gently caress can't they talk about this without whatabouting men being abused, or mentioning that some women are liars? Why are you speculating about whether or not Joey Ryan will have a job after this?

gently caress Joey Ryan's job! Why are you worrying about his employment and not how his sixteen loving victims were made to suffer?

Dave defending Cornette and straight-up saying the accusations were bullshit DESPITE NOT HAVING loving BEEN THERE OR SPOKEN TO ANYBODY is just painful to listen to. People wonder why women don't talk about these things when they happen, but even the ostensibly well-meaning journalists can't talk about it without editorializing about how women aren't to be believed.

It's loving maddening.

Edit: Dave used women being raped as a launching point for a rant about how he can't tell jokes anymore without people getting mad at him. So, there are his priorities.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
This is probably the worst thread on the forums

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Isn't there a CHUD thread in C-SPAM?

Anyways, back on track re: podcasts.

Hit me up on PMs here or on twitter @rudospodcast with your favorite upset of the New Japan Cup so far and your pick for which surprise winner is going to make the deepest run

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The entire site's handling of this has been loving abhorrent. Today, Bryan read out Lagana's entire statement on WOL, giving him airtime the victim never got. Why is the only side of this we need to hear Lagana's?

Why the gently caress can't they talk about this without whatabouting men being abused, or mentioning that some women are liars? Why are you speculating about whether or not Joey Ryan will have a job after this?

gently caress Joey Ryan's job! Why are you worrying about his employment and not how his sixteen loving victims were made to suffer?

Dave defending Cornette and straight-up saying the accusations were bullshit DESPITE NOT HAVING loving BEEN THERE OR SPOKEN TO ANYBODY is just painful to listen to. People wonder why women don't talk about these things when they happen, but even the ostensibly well-meaning journalists can't talk about it without editorializing about how women aren't to be believed.

It's loving maddening.

Edit: Dave used women being raped as a launching point for a rant about how he can't tell jokes anymore without people getting mad at him. So, there are his priorities.

Seriously? You yourself and several other people on this forum had to have it explained to them why Cornette's hot tub parties were inappropriate just a few months ago. When Joey Janela brought them up he was accused of kink shaming.

And Joey Ryan's job is pretty drat important, the whole context of this is these people need to be gone for good which was Dave's freaking point for the first 10 minutes of this show, he kept calling for a cleansing.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

which was Dave's freaking point for the first 10 minutes of this show, he kept calling for a cleansing.

wow and now he's calling for ethnic cleansing, this man is a maniac, get him off the air now

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It just barely breaks the top five. There's a new one racing for the top spot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly even at its worst this thread would struggle to crack top 10 worst threads.