Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Fantastic news from world virus epicenter Florida!

My school district just announced we'd be moving forward with expanding school athletic practices! Now "small groups" (9 or less) can toss balls back and forth with each other! This is because if one of them has the virus it scans the number of people nearby and if it's 9 or less the virus has to go home without infecting anyone!

Numbers skyrocketing, almost 4,000 new cases yesterday, and it's GET OUT THERE AND GET READY FOR FOOTBALL!

The desire for there to be high school football in Florida is going to kill and cripple so many people. Imagine trying to have a remotely "safe" loving football practice.

(my prediction is for them to say in 2 weeks or so that now you can have 30 people in a group at practice so that when it's time for school they can say "Of course we can put 30 kids in a room, it's just part of our policy!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Cobra Lionfist posted:

There's been no cases in Macau for months after a mini surge of people returning from overseas. Still total of 45 cases and no deaths since the start. Everyone still wears masks all the time though. Except for at the gym, there everyone leaves them in the lockers(you need a temperature check and a declaration that you haven't been outside Macau when you enter). But aside from that the only people you see without masks are the occasional foreigner.

Happy to be in a safe place but wish this could end soon.

This is the case in Nunavut, which is fly-in only. We still have no cases, but we remain locked down from air travel. Everyone flying in must stay in isolation for 2 weeks at an Isolation Centre - a designated hotel in a southern hub where once you go in, you're not allowed to leave for 14 days after being given the all-clear by our Chief Medical Health Officer.

We have largely re-opened everything (except the local gym in the capital :negative: ) but there is a constant low-level sense of dread that if things in the south get worse (ie: if ever the food/cargo/mail flights stop), or if we actually do get an outbreak up here (the territory's only hospital has like 25 beds), we are hosed.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

communistnkinky69 posted:

Did everyone else forget at the start of this thing we were making fun of chuds for buying up masks and wearing them because they dont work and actually make you more likely to get sick? Turns out we were loving idiots.

There Bias Two posted:

This absolutely did not happen the way you're presenting it. There are a number of issues being conflated here, including the conversation surrounding medical masks vs. cloth masks, proper handling of PPE when in use, and questions surrounding the supply chain and whether it was appropriate for average people to be using hospital-grade masks when hospitals did not have enough.

Insane Totoro posted:

This is exactly what the guy is describing.

Of course we were having a legitimate debate.
It's exactly as There Bias Two says.

A handful of people looked at (or were telephone-gamed) studies that said "cloth masks are more likely to infect the wearer with earlier coronavirus types" and COMPLETELY overlooked that the studies were done in a hospital setting with a very high environmental virus load and masks being worn all day, and proceeded to diarrhea their misreadings into the thread to the chagrin of most people.

It wasn't "we", and there was nothing "legitimate" about it.

Plus, there's other flat out falsehoods in kinky's post that are suspiciously popular in certain political circles and can only very charitably be explained by "they're misinformed and are condensing complex topics into single pithy sentences that are entirely incorrect".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

This is exactly what the guy is describing. And how it comes off to the average layperson. And it happened in national discourse too.

Of course we were having a legitimate debate. Did this kind of debate end up in terrible PR and people losing trust in health officials? Absolutely.

Sometimes the right facts still need the right marketing.

At no point did anyone but the terminally stupid suggest that wearing a mask will make you sick. That has been solely a chud talking point

You can probably dig up posts where posters question whether wearing an n95 improperly (e.g. no seal or just over the mouth) is really any better than not wearing one at all, but that's not the same as suggesting that wearing the mask would cause illness.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

communistnkinky69 posted:

I dont really care if you think someone said something wrong about covid. EVERYONE has been saying the wrong things about covid. The WHO got it wrong. China got it wrong. The researchers got it wrong. The charters got it wrong. The USA got it wrong.

We went from duh of course masks to only a jerk would wear a mask to only a jerk would not wear a mask. (We should all wear maks, this doesnt need debate).
We went from 100s of millions will surely die, if not worse, to basically no one is going to die, to millions will die, to actually maybe only 250,000 will die. (We still have no idea for sure)
We went from no human to human transmission, to human to human transmission. (This was obvious for weeks before the W.H.O changed their position)
We went from people getting double infected, to not, to maybe? We went from lifetime immunity to no immunity to maybe a year immunity? (we still have no idea for sure)

So no, maybe dont lose it on some parent for being a day or week behind whatever the latest update is on how much to scare your kids so they dont stop picking out their hair till they bleed.

Did everyone else forget at the start of this thing we were making fun of chuds for buy

You seem to be majorly confused on a number of matters so I just want to stop and point out that I didn't "lose it" on anyone, and that the information we're talking about has not changed in months. Certain conservative segments of the population have altered how they feel about the facts, but the facts in question have not changed. When someone keeps coming into the thread to post about how the economic effects of shutting down is actually worse than the virus despite being corrected multiple times in multiple ways eventually you have to accept that they're not interested in learning any new information

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tipps posted:

We have largely re-opened everything (except the local gym in the capital :negative: ) but there is a constant low-level sense of dread that if things in the south get worse (ie: if ever the food/cargo/mail flights stop), or if we actually do get an outbreak up here (the territory's only hospital has like 25 beds), we are hosed.

This sounds like a descriptor of many towns in the middle of nowhere US, minus the travel restrictions..

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hmm yes. Truly a thread full of completely rational people and not crazy psychos at all.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'll maintain that goons who dig thru post histories and PM complete strangers on the forums are cringey as all hell.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nurge posted:

Hmm yes. Truly a thread full of completely rational people and not crazy psychos at all.

Post the username binch

In other news, DL huuuuughley has the Roner Boner

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBrfLFiBzrX/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JonathonSpectre posted:

Fantastic news from world virus epicenter Florida!

My school district just announced we'd be moving forward with expanding school athletic practices! Now "small groups" (9 or less) can toss balls back and forth with each other! This is because if one of them has the virus it scans the number of people nearby and if it's 9 or less the virus has to go home without infecting anyone!

Numbers skyrocketing, almost 4,000 new cases yesterday, and it's GET OUT THERE AND GET READY FOR FOOTBALL!

The desire for there to be high school football in Florida is going to kill and cripple so many people. Imagine trying to have a remotely "safe" loving football practice.

(my prediction is for them to say in 2 weeks or so that now you can have 30 people in a group at practice so that when it's time for school they can say "Of course we can put 30 kids in a room, it's just part of our policy!")

Good luck with that, here in Australia we're in MUCH better shape than the US with the pandemic and we're still struggling to reopen schools and restart team sports without having outbreaks. They just had to postpone a national league AFL game when one of the players tested positive, they've rescheduled the match for next weekend but they're trying to figure out how many of the other players had been in close contact with that guy in their training sessions and whether they'll have to go into quarantine and miss the upcoming match as well.
The governing body says they have to play the match even if they have 6 players sidelined in quarantine and they're super pissed off about it. :v:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/crunch-time-looms-for-afl-as-wa-premier-ups-ante-on-fixture-20200621-p554rm.html

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

QuarkJets posted:

At no point did anyone but the terminally stupid suggest that wearing a mask will make you sick. That has been solely a chud talking point

You can probably dig up posts where posters question whether wearing an n95 improperly (e.g. no seal or just over the mouth) is really any better than not wearing one at all, but that's not the same as suggesting that wearing the mask would cause illness.

I'm not sure if you're only talking about this thread, but up until June 5 the WHO continued to stand by their recommendation that the general public should not wear masks. Their stated reasons were threefold: to avoid mask shortages, to avoid a false sense of security that would result in increased risk taking, and because masks might increase transmission due to improper use and handling.

I'm not a chud, and I wear my mask. However, it's inaccurate to claim that the messaging from authorities surrounding masks has been consistent.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There was definitely some confusion and disagreement about the masks early on (and I was told not to bother either here or in the cspam thread) but I don't remember the chuds ever being pro-mask.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nurge posted:

Hmm yes you got a PM, that means the thread is full of crazy psychos

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mobby_6kl posted:

There was definitely some confusion and disagreement about the masks early on (and I was told not to bother either here or in the cspam thread) but I don't remember the chuds ever being pro-mask.

They were pro-hoarding masks and selling them at super inflated prices, even if they didn’t wear them.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Nurge posted:

I dunno when you post like a witless moron, and act like a selfish rear end in a top hat, it seems like you shouldn't be surprised to engender the worst kind of responses.

I mean I don't wish death on you or your loved ones but sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, right?!!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Everyone probably already knew this, but it's nice of Dr. Fauci to just come out and admit it. That he lied about masks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8iQ65p9B0

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

spacetoaster posted:

Everyone probably already knew this, but it's nice of Dr. Fauci to just come out and admit it. That he lied about masks.

Oh good, quoting Assad truthers now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I'm sure it's very careful and good analysis and not just over 20 minutes long so they get two ad rolls and more money from dipshits who watch youtube garbage

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
What kind of brain watches that video and goes “hmm that’s a good video”

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Hopper posted:

I see a lot of that in Munich too, people sitting in packs together on parkbenches, filling restaurants etc. However, we have mandatory masks in public transport and shops and everybody complies. Plus there are a lot of people who are careful, my entire circle of friends has limited their contacts to very few people even though you are allowed to meet anyone as long as you are in groups of 5 max.

It's bad but a lot of people are treating it serious. It's just that the idiots are more visible because no new screws report on people sitting in their homes.

We also have mandatory mask on public transport and everyone complies.
However, wearing one in a shop is ‘highly recommended‘ and almost nobody does it.
I hope I don’t sound authoritarian by saying this, but it sometimes feels that if you don’t make something mandatory and enforce it, you might as well not even bother.
Also, the lack of clear communication from the government has been somewhat frustrating. Well, we haven’t had a federal government in over a year, so it was to be expected.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Blitter posted:

I dunno when you post like a witless moron, and act like a selfish rear end in a top hat, it seems like you shouldn't be surprised to engender the worst kind of responses.

I mean I don't wish death on you or your loved ones but sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, right?!!!

yeah youd think if your poo poo rear end posts ITT garner that kinda reaction

1) stop posting ITT
2) don't brag about it to us?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dear Watson posted:

What kind of brain watches that video and goes “hmm that’s a good video”

The kind that voted for Trump and is gearing up to do it again.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

bird with big dick posted:

what happened to ur dick? it looks like a gun!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh good, quoting Assad truthers now.

Wait what’s an Assad truther?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

yeah youd think if your poo poo rear end posts ITT garner that kinda reaction

1) stop posting ITT
2) don't brag about it to us?

I would have thought if you have massive anxiety over covid deaths you'd stop posting constantly in the thread as well, but here we are. Also if you think I find it funny that someone hopes my relatives would die you missed the point of posting the PM pretty loving hard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nurge posted:

I would have thought if you have massive anxiety over covid deaths you'd stop posting constantly in the thread as well, but here we are. Also if you think I find it funny that someone hopes my relatives would die you missed the point of posting the PM pretty loving hard.

literal fart noises

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

#fakenews

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Things have slowed down so much here that I'm gonna start up badminton again tomorrow. Really glad because the spring was kind of a fuckfest and couldn't do much besides run for months.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Im pretty sure the amount trump boys that watch Jimmy Dore is like what, less than 5% of his audience? Lower?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

coronavirus posted:

Im pretty sure the amount trump boys that watch Jimmy Dore is like what, less than 5% of his audience? Lower?

Who's worse as a grift pundit, Jimmy Dore or Alex Jones/pick your favorite conspiracy loon?

Or are they about the same, maybe even just simply awful in their own unique manner?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nurge posted:

Nurge drop the PM stuff, next time message a mod or admin with that kind of thing instead of bringing it into the thread. Last warning to everyone on this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dee eight posted:

what happened to ur dick? it looks like a gun!

Everyone loves to mess with the birds big dick this is my third or fourth dick IIRC

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Today I found out that a close friend of mine who works at a hospital lost their father to COVID-19 last night. And also that their entire immediate family is probably infected.

I've been lucky enough to not have been personally impacted by this so far, but I think all of us will before it's over with.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mrfart posted:

We also have mandatory mask on public transport and everyone complies.
However, wearing one in a shop is ‘highly recommended‘ and almost nobody does it.
I hope I don’t sound authoritarian by saying this, but it sometimes feels that if you don’t make something mandatory and enforce it, you might as well not even bother.
Also, the lack of clear communication from the government has been somewhat frustrating. Well, we haven’t had a federal government in over a year, so it was to be expected.

I read an interesting article about how young people always do dangerous stuff whether there's a pandemic or not. It's part feeling immortal, and part for the kick.

The bottom line was we may try as hard as we want to make them comply to rules, there will always be stuff like that, everywhere on the globe.

Not to say it's OK, or that it's not a selfish behavior (it totally is) just that it will happen again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

coronavirus posted:

Yeah?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

There Bias Two posted:

Today I found out that a close friend of mine who works at a hospital lost their father to COVID-19 last night. And also that their entire immediate family is probably infected.

I've been lucky enough to not have been personally impacted by this so far, but I think all of us will before it's over with.

My aunt in Georgia tested positive early this month. Since then her progress has been: ER - admitted - oxygen - ICU - ventilator. She's been on a ventilator for about a week now and they just airlifted her to another hospital so she can be put on ECMO.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Everyone loves to mess with the birds big dick this is my third or fourth dick IIRC

I'm more concerned your birds been skipping leg day

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I read an interesting article about how young people always do dangerous stuff whether there's a pandemic or not. It's part feeling immortal, and part for the kick.

The bottom line was we may try as hard as we want to make them comply to rules, there will always be stuff like that, everywhere on the globe.

Not to say it's OK, or that it's not a selfish behavior (it totally is) just that it will happen again.

There’s a bunch of old fucks who wear oakleys and take selfies from the driver seat of their truck who do this too.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Movie theaters gonna reopen. https://www.cinemark.com/cinemark-standard/

Cinemark has a Chief Clean and Safety Monitor, so uh I guess we're supposed to feel safe and clean at the movies.

Of course theres no actual new movies coming out right now so they're offering discount tix and concessions so you can watch old stuff https://www.cinemark.com/comeback-classics

I'm not sure why anyone would go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Movie theaters gonna reopen. https://www.cinemark.com/cinemark-standard/

Cinemark has a Chief Clean and Safety Monitor, so uh I guess we're supposed to feel safe and clean at the movies.

Of course theres no actual new movies coming out right now so they're offering discount tix and concessions so you can watch old stuff https://www.cinemark.com/comeback-classics

I'm not sure why anyone would go.

You’re gonna get the cleanest coronaviruses this side of the ocean, sir