Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm not sure what it is but I have to say I actually like the change because I feel like its a bit more realistic, I think? The idea being that historically battles were somewhat rare because if you have an army you can siege and threaten things, but if you throw your army away in a pointless fight then you cant do poo poo. I think it could be tweaked so if the AI has overwhelming force it would be a bit more aggressive on the whole I've been liking the changes.

I haven't noticed changes? I'm still regularly ravaging AI homelands only to see 100k of their troops have started to try and siege down my most far-flung forts, or wondering where the hell my allies are and then noticing that oh, they're all furiously sieging down the weakest, furthest away enemy to the tune of 50k attrition casualties, 0 enemy troops lost, 25 ducats compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Popoto posted:

Tried a game with Austria. It seems you now get a permanent(!) malus to your relations with the electors if you don't vote with the majority in the Diet? I guess that means if you want to be emperor you have no choice but to vote for whatever the AI picked in majority when there is an imperial incident? I hosed a game bad by not noticing that earlier. Annoying considering I had just got done getting Milan, Bohemia and Hungary in a PU.

In my current game as Austria, it seems like the modifier lasts only until the next incident, rather than stacking. I successfully reigned in the Italian princes by just allying them all for a few months before cancelling right after firing the decision (had like eight alliances for a month or two), then when the incident for the pope joining the empire popped, I went from having a -25 from going against them to a +10 from voting with them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven't noticed changes? I'm still regularly ravaging AI homelands only to see 100k of their troops have started to try and siege down my most far-flung forts, or wondering where the hell my allies are and then noticing that oh, they're all furiously sieging down the weakest, furthest away enemy to the tune of 50k attrition casualties, 0 enemy troops lost, 25 ducats compensation.
I hadnt played in well over a year so maybe its just confirmation bias teamed with mis-remembering, because you are right - the AI is still obsessed with abandoning their territory to go occupy a single unprotected-by-a-fort province on the other side of my empire. I feel like that is a little less frequent and the AI armies tend to stick together better than they used to. However I have noticed that they abuse being omniscient even harder than ever - if one of my armies gets within three provinces of their sieging army, their sieging army runs away right quick.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I had about 100k forces spread around sieging France. He had about 80k. So if he had combined his forces he could have forced me to only siege one fort at a time or wipe my spread out forces. Back when I played a lot the AI used to combine their forces into doomstacks to threaten sieging armies. They do much less of this now it seems.

I just find it boring to win wars without fighting at all.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I am playing Aragon and formed Spain and I kept the Aragon mission tree instead of getting the Spanish one. I swear it used to give you the Spanish tree. Am I misremembering things?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
that and the idea set is explicitly why you form spain as aragon instead, so

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hryme posted:

I had about 100k forces spread around sieging France. He had about 80k. So if he had combined his forces he could have forced me to only siege one fort at a time or wipe my spread out forces. Back when I played a lot the AI used to combine their forces into doomstacks to threaten sieging armies. They do much less of this now it seems.

I just find it boring to win wars without fighting at all.

In my post-patch game the ottomans were regularly hitting me with over 100k in combined stacks. I haven’t noticed any difference in the ai

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Strange. Maybe the troop quality difference is too large or something then. Or they already have low manpower. I will see when I fight the Ottomans later.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheesetriangles posted:

So I am playing Aragon and formed Spain and I kept the Aragon mission tree instead of getting the Spanish one. I swear it used to give you the Spanish tree. Am I misremembering things?

you have to flip culture

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

i thought they said they fixed this for this patch

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

In my post-patch game the ottomans were regularly hitting me with over 100k in combined stacks. I haven’t noticed any difference in the ai

Yes you are right Ottomans did throw 100k stacks on me. Not sure what happened earlier in the game then.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

i thought they said they fixed this for this patch

I just wanted to say I'm colourblind and in these screenshots, those two map modes look almost loving identical to me.

Groogy add a colourblind mode, and yes still make Prussia blue.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just wanted to say I'm colourblind and in these screenshots, those two map modes look almost loving identical to me.

the important part is the text but yeah i'm all for colourblind mode

e: I was thinking maybe it was because the province belonged to the target's ally and Cologne didn't want the extra AE and wanted land from the main target instead, but now I'm in a war with England as the target where I called France in with a promise of land. They had the whole south coast of England marked as vital but will only accept Calais and nothing else and are gonna hate me for not giving them land they won't take. gently caress's sake. Would have been nice to keep them around as an ally but so much for that.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 22, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's supposed to be different in those screenshots?

I'm asking cause I'm colorblind too, not that seriously as some but it's enough for me to ignore most colors in the game. Like I know that allied, neutral and enemy armies are supposed to have different backgrounds but I have to put them near each other to identify so I always hover over them to check. A lot of map mods are pretty useless, only those that paint most of the map grey (like diplomatic) work for me.

Modern Paradox games are already much better at this. I remember pre-patch Victoria 2 having small (*) in red or green to signify if the condition is met.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

if something is worth doing

do it with all your heart

Now embrace Nordic culture so you can be Pirates, Vikings, and Knights.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ilitarist posted:

What's supposed to be different in those screenshots?

I'm asking cause I'm colorblind too, not that seriously as some but it's enough for me to ignore most colors in the game. Like I know that allied, neutral and enemy armies are supposed to have different backgrounds but I have to put them near each other to identify so I always hover over them to check. A lot of map mods are pretty useless, only those that paint most of the map grey (like diplomatic) work for me.

Modern Paradox games are already much better at this. I remember pre-patch Victoria 2 having small (*) in red or green to signify if the condition is met.

First shot shows Cologne's (green, turd-shaped country under the text box) provinces of vital (red, just Cleve) and strategic (yellow, every other province bordering them) interest. Second shot is the peace screen, showing land belonging to me and my war allies in dark green (Cologne from above, plus Lippe (me) and the two on the edge of the shot in the top right corner), the provinces I'm taking in the peace deal (Munster and Osnabruk) in light green, and the province Cologne won't take (Cleve) in brown.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 22, 2020

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Why the gently caress isn't this an achievement.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Here's something I haven't seen before, I'm assuming it's a new tag (no I didn't read all eighteen pages of patch notes). New or not, it owns

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 22, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

And convert to Shinto for Knights, Pirates, Vikings and Ninjas.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Poil posted:

And convert to Shinto for Knights, Pirates, Vikings and Ninjas.

Embrace the industrial revolution and have your capital in North America for Knights, Pirates, Vikings, Ninjas, Robots and Cowboys.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So in total

Pirates, Vikings, Knights, Ninjas, Robots and Cowboys

or

Popularibus Cultura

(Or Bad Google Translate)

As the Knights, be a Pirate Republic of Norse culture and Shinto religion, having built at least 1 furnace with your capital in North America.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 22, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

imperialism cb before 1500 is so good. pirate republic is so good

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
...and today I learned that Palembang gets a chance to be pirates at the beginning of the game. That should be a fun campaign.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Groke posted:

...and today I learned that Palembang gets a chance to be pirates at the beginning of the game. That should be a fun campaign.

It's real easy to flip pirate as most of the SEA countries, so don't feel like you've gotta go with Palembang if there's another one you want to try. Being a pirate is really great in SEA specifically because you get a big naval force limit buff and the regular injection of large lump sums of money to buy all those ships with, which means you don't have to deal with annoying wars where you've got enough soldiers to take on your enemy and their ally, but you don't have a big enough navy to lock all their boats down and ferry your troops around safely.

Flipping pirate is also my go-to for playing The Isles, it's very gratifying to ruin the English coastline over and over again.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm a big fan of this patch. The crumminess of the Estates mechanic pissed me off gradually every time I played EU4. I never felt I was balancing them against eachother or doing anything but farming Monarch points.

Also think the mercenaries have a lot more character, though they seem to make money a little too powerful imo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I like Estates but by the end, they're not interesting by the end. I know that by design they should lose power and you get this by getting back crown lands and privileges that really helped you at the early game. The problem I have is they're static by the end. I leave +1 MP privileges and other factors help me get to 100 absolutism. I didn't do Court & Country so I could probably get 100 absolutism and have a privilege or two. Those bonuses from estates are hard to grasp cause the game doesn't tell you what happens when influence/loyalty change or what thresholds are. I'm calling the diet from time to time and building a university or something for some additional benefits. I expected there to be some sort of struggle for centralization.

My nitpicks are probably invalid cause I'm playing France, one of the easiest countries. But I don't really see how will it be different for other countries. After all by the time absolutism kicks in you are probably not having any existential threats forcing you to speed up absolutism. But maybe if you're going for WC you need all the absolutism as fast as possible.

Same thing with mercenaries. They cost a lot but as France, I don't really need them. I imagine that if I'd play as any country that really needs them - especially at the holy wars period when they get really diverse - I'd need a dozen loans to afford them. I know Florrynomics is effective but it always felt like an exploit to me cause AI doesn't use loans well.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 23, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gold bug fixed, along with something relating to forcing peasant republic in peace which I think I saw people complain about ITT

1.30.3 Changelog

###################
# AI
###################
# Other
- AI won't push through the entire council of trent in one day anymore

###################
# Interface
###################
# Icons/Art
- Added missing icon for governing cost modifier

###################
# Bugfixes
###################
- Added DLC check to support independence agenda
- British and Spanish missions that require passing an HRE reform are now updated for Emperor
- Burgundian mission fallback will no longer join hre if it doesn't exist
- Fixed Ansbach succession event requiring wrong ruler for Ansbach
- Fixed Bohemian mission requiring wrong rival when PLC exists
- Fixed CTD that can happen when AI was working with an agent that only consisted of mercs
- Fixed OOS that happen if you have negative seperatism in a province.
- Fixed Peace treaty to enforce peasant republic on others
- Fixed bug where it wouldn't give full payout in gold peace treaty

- Fixed duplicate mission id's in script, which was causing some mission art to display incorrectly
- Fixed no loc for Hussite Traditions event for non-Hussites
- Fixed no tier 3 gov reforms for rev empires without emperor dlc
- Fixed some development agendas picking non-state core provinces
- French Auld Alliance mission no longer requires the British country to be independent
- Hotkey for Attach army no longer overlaps, it is now 'h'. You might need to reset hotkeys through the new manager to make it work
- Italian nations must now lose a war to the Emperor to be considered reined in for Shadow Kingdom, rather than losing any war
- Lubeck mission can no longer grant a CB against Norway if it doesn't exist
- Pope should now always be Catholic when released as a vassal
- Updated location of Genoa trade node for All Your Trade achievement
- Fixed bug with how scaling reform desire modifier was applied

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

- Hotkey for Attach army no longer overlaps, it is now 'h'. You might need to reset hotkeys through the new manager to make it work

is this what was messing up my D to detach siege carpet sieging

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Nice, gonna get the expansion and play it now that the egregious stuff is fixed.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oddium posted:

is this what was messing up my D to detach siege carpet sieging

Yeah and it was the worst

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

:siren::siren::siren:Buff Sardinia-Piedmont spotted:siren::siren::siren:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Question for playing Spain: how to I keep the former Aztec and Mayan territories from exploding into revolts every ten years?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Your colonial nation is probably crazy overextended and doesn't have the admin points to core everything you forced on them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Question for playing Spain: how to I keep the former Aztec and Mayan territories from exploding into revolts every ten years?

other than a glacial expansion pace that will end up with the region being stolen by some other european power, you don't. the rebels are generally pretty weak no matter their stack size (though i haven't played the most recent patch) so you just keep an army in the colonies to mop up as necessary.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It can be worth leaving the natives alive as an OPM enclave as well, until your CN get's on their feet; as long as the nation still exists, separatists rebels will have their (terrible) tech levels, and much easier to beat down. If they no longer exist, the rebels will have your tech levels.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Convert their provinces for them so they aren't sitting on like 5% religious unity

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Blorange posted:

Your colonial nation is probably crazy overextended and doesn't have the admin points to core everything you forced on them.

Side question: how does the game determine when overseas territories become a new colonial nation and when it gets added to an existing one?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

SirPhoebos posted:

Side question: how does the game determine when overseas territories become a new colonial nation and when it gets added to an existing one?

It's by colonial region, a geographic map mode. A colonial nation gets created when you have 5 cores in the same region. Once the nation exists it will automatically own any future provinces you colonize or conquer in that region.

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Colonial_nation

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One last question, is it worth getting involved in the League War if I'm not in the HRE or neighboring it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SirPhoebos posted:

One last question, is it worth getting involved in the League War if I'm not in the HRE or neighboring it?

Generally, no. Unless you for some reason have a vested interest in either side winning.

Usually better to sit it out, and then pick on some of the exhausted survivors right after.