Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There are a few more masks here Where Texas Began than there were when things first opened up, I think the headlines have had a minor effect, but more seriously from barely seriously isn't a huge improvement.

The only clear divide I can spot is socioeconomic. I see no difference between rural white, black, Hispanic or Asian, for example, but you head into wealthier areas and it's much more common. About the only major demographic difference I can spot is old people. I'm positive these are Trump voters in many cases, some I know for sure from growing up here and knowing families, but they're much more commonly in masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Anecdotally when I went to a Kroger today in Dallas County mask usage was way up compared the the last week or two, after the county re-imposed the mandate via Abbott's cryptic spell

but my regular Kroger is well into Plano so I'll be curious how the suburbs take to things next week

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress. my dad's co-worker, a fellow bus driver, has tested positive. south padre city government going back on lockdown. my dad is going into quarantine and it looks like half the city will shut down. it's rampant

my dad said the guy who tested positive wasn't that great about mask usage so he's possibly a super-spreader

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I'm in Plano and I've been staying home as much as possible but I'd say mask usage in markets is probably about 70-80%. Everywhere else though is 50% at best but probably closer to ~25%. It's insane.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I went out to the grocery store in college station and saw precisely two other people using masks in the packed mom and pop. Not even the staff had anything. I got weird looks and it felt like I was being gaslit

I'm glad my last semester at A&M will be both the most academically difficult but also the most difficult for my health

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have to say, no one around here seems put off by me wearing a mask indoors. Even in the klanniest Dollar General in some place like Santa Fe people just kind of move out of the way a bit more.

I did find out today that several people in the area who are friends of family or friends of friends have tested positive. One is symptomatic, but just fever and low level symptoms so far. I get the sense we're sort of in that scene in a nature documentary where one antelope, or deer, or whatever, at the watering hole pops its head up and raises an eyebrow, then turns quickly from side to side, right before they cut the camera to the predator lurking in the bushes.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

ReindeerF posted:

I have to say, no one around here seems put off by me wearing a mask indoors. Even in the klanniest Dollar General in some place like Santa Fe people just kind of move out of the way a bit more.

Yeah, while he lack of masks is a ever growing problem in my area, there hasn't actually been any issue I've witnessed or experienced with people getting offended/upset by me/others wearing masks.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
Anecdotally, here in Montrose in Houston, I think I've seen a lot more locals recently who are just out for a walk wearing masks than I've seen at any previous point. Mask usage at the HEB seems to be pretty good in my experience too - I think the lowest amount I've seen so far was around ~90% of people wearing masks.

Now the people who frequent the bars and restaurants on the weekends, however...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

:shepicide:

Corpus is a poo poo hole anyways.
Watch your mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjaSdlFkIm0

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hmmxkrazee posted:

I'm in Plano and I've been staying home as much as possible but I'd say mask usage in markets is probably about 70-80%. Everywhere else though is 50% at best but probably closer to ~25%. It's insane.
Mask usage is way down in Denton. It's still common and normalized at this point and I always mask up, but still concerning. I was at a Lowe's last night and mask wearers were in the minority at around ~15% and mask-wearing among employees was inconsistent.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That video must be from the mid-90s, because it features every landmark except the Selena statue and the Whataburger by the Bay. You couldn't put together a more accurate video tribute to Corpus if you paid GSD&M a bajillion dollars.

Also, my favorite low key thing about Corpus is that, when you fly in or out, you have to travel down Corn Products Road to get to the airport from 37 - and the airport does not have lights outside in the evening. Even in the rental car lot.

EDIT: This just came across my feed from a local farmer's market. I'd say it's a pretty accurate representation - workers mostly masked, customers... ehhh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom is driving from Lubbock to Dallas to be with the rest of my family. Is she more or less likely to get killed this way?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If the question is purely statistical safety, Lubbock would, absent some weird disease vector, be inherently safer than the Dallas metro area. Also, statistically less douchey, albeit less cosmopolitan as well. Life is gives and takes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

listen, all i'm saying is that no presidents have died in lubbock

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just got back from heb in pflugerville, 100% mask as far as i noticed (i will never intentionally look at another human while shopping)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i say swears online posted:

just got back from heb in pflugerville, 100% mask as far as i noticed (i will never intentionally look at another human while shopping)

a good shopper

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
The last few times I’ve been out, I would peg mask rate at no more than 40%.

What really frustrates me is at work where masks are mandated in any common areas, my entire office is treating our department as a private area and walking around maskless.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The mask usage immediately west of the Galleria in Houston has been up and down. Never less than half but not always as high as it needs to be.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

HEB in San Antonio had majority mask usage yesterday, outside of the two couples dressed like they had a power lunch at the country club and strutting around like being maskless was a grand statement.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol of course Montgomery county won’t be issuing a mask order. You have your rich chuds in the woodlands and redneck chuds in East county that would cry bloody murder

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
All masks at Wheatsville Coop in Austin. They're good people :unsmith:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

HEB in San Antonio had majority mask usage yesterday, outside of the two couples dressed like they had a power lunch at the country club and strutting around like being maskless was a grand statement.

Schertz/Cibolo is about 50% usage in HEB and Walmart. I went to a used book store on Pat Booker to grab some Dune titles and they were requiring masks. Luckily, I was able to shop because I was the only person in the store, but as I left, another woman came in and the shopkeeper and her started bitching about masks.

My masters program starts in August and I'm receiving emails about how they are going to be open on campus for classes. I expect this to change by August 24, the first day of classes. My youngest is starting 11th grade at Steele High school and they are also proclaiming in-school classes with an option to keep children home if the virus is "still a concern for your family." My son is chomping at the bit to see his friends (he hasn't seen them since schools closed in March and has left the house just twice in that time). I'm extremely concerned about all of this. Bad enough I don't feel safe at work, even though I am just delivering pizzas, because I know my coworkers are all out their partying. I'd quit right now if I could, honestly. Just biding time for my financial aid to kick in late August.

The family we put up this summer finally moved out and returned to Kentucky. Back to just 8 of us. :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just had to run to Whataburger and one of the barbecue joints to get lunch for Dad for Father's day. Church crowd is not having any of this mask nonsense! Bathed in the blood of Jesus!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

gently caress. my dad's co-worker, a fellow bus driver, has tested positive. south padre city government going back on lockdown. my dad is going into quarantine and it looks like half the city will shut down. it's rampant

my dad said the guy who tested positive wasn't that great about mask usage so he's possibly a super-spreader

Well poo poo, so much for going once a month on a Monday or Tuesday to relax on the beach for a few hours away from people.

It's been really loving bad out there with the bars and clubs reopened. Not to mention the parties people have been throwing at condos.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
the people's republic of austin seems to be taking this pretty seriously. drat finance and accounting bros downtown are loving it for everyone

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol of course Montgomery county won’t be issuing a mask order. You have your rich chuds in the woodlands and redneck chuds in East county that would cry bloody murder

West county is the weird mix of very rich and very redneck that means almost nobody is wearing masks anywhere in the county.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The good news is, you guys will be decimated by floods, as usual, so covid-19 won't even be an issue within a month or so.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Democratic Pirate posted:

They are absolutely not doing it at the Rivercenter Mall . The good news is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of people but it seems to be getting busier as restrictions let up.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Even the cheap part of Austin I live in is 100% masks at Target and Central market. There's definitely a lot of people who got the memo in some urban areas at least.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
lol i went to breakfast after picking my dad up from the airport in dfw. Apart from me and him, the only people in the rather crowded (but keeping to capacity) restaurant were the staff and like maybe 3 others. I get that masks and eating dont really mix, but at least use them before and after especially when you are passing by peoples food!
I went to the grocery as well and mask were maybe 50%?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

lol i went to breakfast after picking my dad up from the airport in dfw. Apart from me and him, the only people in the rather crowded (but keeping to capacity) restaurant were the staff and like maybe 3 others. I get that masks and eating dont really mix, but at least use them before and after especially when you are passing by peoples food!
I went to the grocery as well and mask were maybe 50%?

Imagine going to a restaurant and complaining about others' lack of concern for the virus

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TropicalCoke posted:

the people's republic of austin seems to be taking this pretty seriously. drat finance and accounting bros downtown are loving it for everyone

Agreed. North central Austin has been pretty great for mask usage the times I've been out.

Which hasn't been all that much tbqh but still.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Imagine going to a restaurant and complaining about others' lack of concern for the virus

It was for fathers day, and the only chance I had to spend time with him :shrug:

I dunno what your relationship is with your father, but I want to spend whatever time I have with mine.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You might have significantly reduced the time you have left with him, just saying.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

married but discreet posted:

You might have significantly reduced the time you have left with him, just saying.

You're making the big assumption that dad isnt an idiot with more than one kid. The damage is done at that point regardless of whether op went or not.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It was for fathers day, and the only chance I had to spend time with him :shrug:

I dunno what your relationship is with your father, but I want to spend whatever time I have with mine.

I like my dad too. That's why I'd order takeout from somewhere and we'd go eat it at some place that's not a disease pit for a virus that kills old people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

George H.W. oval office posted:

if COVID turns the woodlands into an empty wasteland, that would be a net positive for humanity, so gently caress it, I hope that sticks

and I'm saying this as someone who lives in the woodlands (though mercifully I should be getting the gently caress out of here by august-ish). there is nothing and nobody worthwhile here. this is not a place of honor, no esteemed deed, etc etc. it was literally engineered specifically to give horrible motherfuckers a refuge from the dreaded Black People. every negative stereotype of the South you can possibly think of is covered in some way by either here or Conroe, and I have no love for Conroe either.

e: also, do we really have to dogpile everyone who goes outside for more than a brief walk? masks work, washing your hands works, physical distancing works; if you follow the safety procedures you should be following, you will most likely not contract or transmit COVID, even if you are not following the "stay inside" precaution that ideally makes those procedures unnecessary.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 21, 2020

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

if COVID turns the woodlands into an empty wasteland, that would be a net positive for humanity, so gently caress it, I hope that sticks

and I'm saying this as someone who lives in the woodlands (though mercifully I should be getting the gently caress out of here by august-ish). there is nothing and nobody worthwhile here. this is not a place of honor, no esteemed deed, etc etc. it was literally engineered specifically to give horrible motherfuckers a refuge from the dreaded Black People. every negative stereotype of the South you can possibly think of is covered in some way by either here or Conroe, and I have no love for Conroe either.

Lol yea I went to high school there. Place sucks on ice. Former Patriot Danny Amendola was one of my classmates and he was one of the dumbest mother fucker I’ve met.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I like my dad too. That's why I'd order takeout from somewhere and we'd go eat it at some place that's not a disease pit for a virus that kills old people.

unfortunately we just didnt have the time :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Bougie inner loop Houston (my people god bless) is taking this very seriously. Mask usage is probably around 80-90% everywhere I've been.