Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

While I never say never from the past two years of looking I can’t recall seeing a 5 speed diesel with a supercharger at all, ever, moon roofs or not. Even 5 speed estimas are few and far between. But there could be one with all the options but I’m happy with the one I got and what I paid. It’s what I was looking for.

And I’ve had 3 or so vehicles out of 20+ that had a shrine blessing decal on it the PO had gone and got “blessed” with.

Supercharger wouldn't be on the diesel, just the gasoline version.
There was one a couple years ago (when I bought my first 80s Acty van off a dealer lot) that I want to believe was supercharged, but it could have also just been a 5 speed green moonroof Estima, that had something like 60,000 km but a blown clutch. It was on a dealer lot.
For me it would have to have all the neat-o options otherwise it wouldn't compete enough with domestic Previas imho. A diesel one does because it's unique, but some of the people just importing bog-standard Estimas with no gimmicks and are automatic gasoline ones confuse me. It's just an inconvenient Previa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
LIVFJfFaP: It's just an inconvenient Previa!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Dagen H posted:

LIVFJfFaP: It's just an inconvenient Previa!

Ha perfect.

I have just wanted one because, but I’ve already got old college buddies who live out in Colorado lusting after it surprisingly, they are landcruiser guys

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

STR posted:

I mean... what's stopping you from cobbling one together?

IIIRC the Previa/Estima was never offered with a supercharger and AWD combination for the simple fact that the blower (or the drive for the blower) takes up valuable space that would otherwise be used by the forward driveshaft.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm picturing a blower stack through the floor sucking all the dust bunnies and sweet wrappers out of the carpet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Terrible Robot posted:

IIIRC the Previa/Estima was never offered with a supercharger and AWD combination for the simple fact that the blower (or the drive for the blower) takes up valuable space that would otherwise be used by the forward driveshaft.
Wasn't the supercharger on those mounted up front, connected to the engine with a driveshaft sort of like an old school Bentley?

Time to go full nuts and somehow bolt up a Ferrari FF front drive unit to one.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
What's the matter, June bug? Did you hit someone with the Previa?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking at buying a beater locally, and one thing that seems to come up in the age range I'm looking at fairly often is parts inside the transmission failing. I see there are a lot of shops that import transmissions from Japan, and some of them seem cheaper or the same price to buy and have installed than to pay to have the transmission rebuilt. For example, a slipping center diff on a Subaru seems to be north of $1k, and I found a low mileage (kilometerage?) transmission off a '95 STI that would end up being the same price or a bit less after having someone else install it. Is there anywhere I can find scuttlebutt about the various importers other than just googling their name and keywords? Stuff like "these guys are easy to work with" vs "These guys said the engine/transmission had 40k but it was more like 200k." I know this thread deals more with DIY importing whole vehicles, but I know at least the OP does it for money and I'm hoping there's some place I can get insider knowledge on who is good or bad.

I know I'd have to do my homework to make sure that the transmission would fit a USDM model, I'm not taking it for granted that everything is 1 to 1.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 22, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Admittedly this was a very long time ago, but an old roommate bought a JDM drivetrain for his Integra online. We decided to pull bearing caps before going ahead with the swap.

Seller claimed 20k km. Those must have been some very hard km, it had a couple of spun rod bearings, crank was scored enough to catch fingernails in several places. There's no way it wasn't telling knock knock jokes. And up until then, I never knew Piaa made oil filters, and with the sludge it had, there was no way it only had 20k on it.

This was, at the time, a "reputable" seller that several people on G2IC recommended.

Terrible Robot posted:

Why did you have to come in here with logic? :smith:

wolrah posted:

Wasn't the supercharger on those mounted up front, connected to the engine with a driveshaft sort of like an old school Bentley?

Not entirely sure about the supercharger, but all of the other belt-driven accessories on the USDM Previa were driven off of the jackshaft you're thinking of.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 23, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

My FIL had one.

Here's one on jalopnik.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the combo that wasn't offered was with stick.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Right, but not because the parts won't play Toyota Lego, cause they do.

BAT example

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The kei bucket truck is now live on BAT come on eccentric rich guys let’s get the bids on!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-daihatsu-hijet/

You won’t find another because I’ve never seen another and I look 6 days a week

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There you go. Have a bid to keep things moving.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

There you go. Have a bid to keep things moving.

Doing God’s work son

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean.....I'd use it at the house at that price + transport. So whatever.

Needs some downrigger plate storage. But you don't like downriggers so you wouldn't get it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

I mean.....I'd use it at the house at that price + transport. So whatever.

Needs some downrigger plate storage. But you don't like downriggers so you wouldn't get it.

I angle grinded all that out it had it but was rusted to poo poo. I promise there isn’t rust anywhere else. I also just used angle grinder to cut open a surface pro 3 long story. It has 3 wooden with metal edge stabilizers one was rotten I threw away

everdave fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 24, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Question: What year of mfg do y'all think most diesel campers in Japan start having turbos?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t know about turbos 86-95 is peak turbo. Who wants to see my latest bad choice I’ve been searching for a kei box truck which never come up and this is 4wd with AC! Bid last week and they didn’t take my bid they did this week because they gave up. A poo poo box for sure but this is my baby. Got big plans! Kei camper? I paid 43. I am super excited about this guy . 34k miles.

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 25, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

I don’t know about turbos 86-95 is peak turbo

????

You mean after 95 there are less diesels with turbos?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

????

You mean after 95 there are less diesels with turbos?

I am not an expert but that was peak years for turbos. Then gas and tax and poo poo. I am just talking about what I have seen don’t take it as gospel.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

everdave posted:

I don’t know about turbos 86-95 is peak turbo. Who wants to see my latest bad choice I’ve been searching for a kei box truck which never come up and this is 4wd with AC! Bid last week and they didn’t take my bid they did this week because they gave up. A poo poo box for sure but this is my baby. Got big plans! Kei camper? I paid 43. I am super excited about this guy . 34k miles.

I'll be interested to see what she looks like after a polish up and some bodywork, please post!

The Japanese seems to indicate it was used in a pressure washing business.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I'll be interested to see what she looks like after a polish up and some bodywork, please post!

The Japanese seems to indicate it was used in a pressure washing business.

Was listed as a “wire truck” but has a hot water heater/pump according to inspection. I picked it up for a few hundred bucks like I said I bid last week and they had a reserve this week they didn’t. Of course add $3k to be safe for shipping customs and all that. Think this will be a long term backyard project. Right now I’m thinking a mild lift tiny camper. Super rare to have box/4wd and AC

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

I am not an expert but that was peak years for turbos. Then gas and tax and poo poo. I am just talking about what I have seen don’t take it as gospel.

That might be true for gas engines, but I would expect *every* diesel to have a turbo on anything more recent. Non-turbo diesels are sloooooooow poo poo.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Darchangel posted:

That might be true for gas engines, but I would expect *every* diesel to have a turbo on anything more recent. Non-turbo diesels are sloooooooow poo poo.

Old non-turbo diesel are likely to run until the heat death of the universe tho, old mercedes taxis with the lethargic engine are likely to have their chassis destroyed than the engine gone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

I choose to assume that's ¥43, not ¥43k and you just paid less than a single serving squid snack for a running truck

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Midjack posted:

There’s a midnight every 24 hours. :colbert:

I like the cut of your jib.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SlowBloke posted:

Old non-turbo diesel are likely to run until the heat death of the universe tho, old mercedes taxis with the lethargic engine are likely to have their chassis destroyed than the engine gone.

Well, yes, but it's akin to "you can eat only rice cakes and live forever, but then you'd have to eat rice cakes forever..." (insert whatever bland and/or nasty "health" food you want, there.)
I'd like to a) have a little fun on the way, and b) not die of old age before I arrive at my destination.
That said, there is a place for slow but reliable. It's just not on the highway, unfortunately, and I'm in Texas where it's *all* highway. There are times driving my AE86 with 86 HP (though only 2500 lbs) scares the hell out of me. Merging, mainly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope you keep all the stickers, they give it so much character

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

I hope you keep all the stickers, they give it so much character

Right now that is the plan unless the body is too bad where I need to repaint everything or the projects gets out of hand...I would like to keep the decals

Darchangel posted:

Well, yes, but it's akin to "you can eat only rice cakes and live forever, but then you'd have to eat rice cakes forever..." (insert whatever bland and/or nasty "health" food you want, there.)
I'd like to a) have a little fun on the way, and b) not die of old age before I arrive at my destination.
That said, there is a place for slow but reliable. It's just not on the highway, unfortunately, and I'm in Texas where it's *all* highway. There are times driving my AE86 with 86 HP (though only 2500 lbs) scares the hell out of me. Merging, mainly.

As you may or may not realize I have a ton of cars and it can be an odd experience switching between them. In the past 24 hours I have mainly driven the 2.2 turbo diesel Lite Ace 5 speed, which to me feels pretty dang quick and snappy. No complaints on power there.

But I needed to move the 2.4 non-turbo HiAce to storage and bring home the Daihatsu bucket truck. Wow what a difference, its not slowing down city traffic slow but lethargic compared to Lite Ace, once it builds up speed it is fine. Does 60+ no problem. The driving the 3 cylinder Daihatsu bucket 4 speed home since the auction ends in a few days. Feels plenty powerful if it had a 5th gear would not feel lacking in power even for short interstate trips (I mean I wouldn't want to drive it on vacation but it doesn't feel slow).

Then finally finally picking up the Celsior from the shop. No matter what anyone tells you there is a difference between RHD and LHD drive evaporators. If you want to know the whole story I am happy to answer. We made the Denso OEM LHD one work with fabrication to the fittings. And driving that well its a 4 liter V8 it feels like a rocketship compared to everything else.

I drove the 2.5 Skyiline GTS4 with the kids this week taking them to swim and it feels very fast, lots of torque. Great driving car.

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 26, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

everdave posted:

Right now that is the plan unless the body is too bad where I need to repaint everything or the projects gets out of hand...I would like to keep the decals

Those are great but I mean the ones in the windows. If I ever actually bought a Japanese car I’d love to to have it covered in local stickers, but then I love the modded jimnys.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

First purchase on the behalf of someone else. He was specifically looking for a 1994-1995 UCF21 Toyota Celsior, Type C, F package. Essentially it's a cloth-interior super Lexus LS400 with a Toyota badge. Type C is the top spec you could get with fancy in-dash navigation and assorted goodies, Type F means you get all sorts of extra stuff for the back passengers, including massaging and reclining rear seats. A mini-Century sort of thing I guess. It's exactly what he was looking for and boy it sure is fun shopping when you aren't putting your own money at risk!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You have to tell me what the thing in the passenger footwell is, sometimes they are way more bulbous, they show up on Celsiors sometimes, mine doesn't have it.

This one is my favorite color but has quite a lot of miles and the LCD climate screen bleed, but the exact same color as mine. At least being this year it won't be R12 like mine was I just spent a fortune on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

You have to tell me what the thing in the passenger footwell is, sometimes they are way more bulbous, they show up on Celsiors sometimes, mine doesn't have it.

This one is my favorite color but has quite a lot of miles and the LCD climate screen bleed, but the exact same color as mine. At least being this year it won't be R12 like mine was I just spent a fortune on it.

I assume it's something tied to it being a Type C or the F package, Celsior people want this combo specifically because its the best one you can get of this era. I don't know everything that it includes.

You gotta keep in mind that 51,000 miles is insanely, incredibly low for a 25 year old car, especially an LS400. You roll out a USDM 1995 Lexus LS400 with 52,000 miles and you have a low mileage example.
In context of what you and I might normally deal with it might feel high but even 'high' numbers like 200,000 km is still only 125,000 miles.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You have to let me know, sometimes they are bigger and the stick out right there. What is it? I call it the tumor. Can’t wait to hear!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It's not a tuma!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm picturing a blower stack through the floor sucking all the dust bunnies and sweet wrappers out of the carpet.
If this van's a-rockin', one of my kids got sucked into the intake again.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oh man, I love these Aero Cabins...

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tr7sE2BS4GBTOg.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KakerMix posted:

You gotta keep in mind that 51,000 miles is insanely, incredibly low for a 25 year old car, especially an LS400. You roll out a USDM 1995 Lexus LS400 with 52,000 miles and you have a low mileage example.
In context of what you and I might normally deal with it might feel high but even 'high' numbers like 200,000 km is still only 125,000 miles.

Hell, the USDM LS400 of that era is well known for breaking 750k miles. The famous million mile LS400 was supposedly on the original drivetrain until 930k, when the transmission crapped out.

Technically it has 999,999 miles... because the odometer stops at 999,999.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28991860/the-million-mile-lexus/

This was Toyota's unkillable. Do the most basic of maintenance and they just go forever. Or don't. Just keep fluids in it and sneeze a timing belt at it occasionally.