Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

RatHat posted:

The thing is that Burgess in Dressarosa seemed to have the ability to do it too, since he was talking about killing Sabo and taking his fruit. Maybe he just meant he’d drag his corpse all the way back for Blackbeard to do it.

No, he was planning to kill Sabo and have the fruit's power transfer to one of the fruits he's carrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do you have the chapter for that? Because I reread that part a few weeks ago and I don’t remember him carrying any fruits.

Kild posted:

He doesnt have a fruit

Oh you meant the ability of having 2 fruit powers, not taking the fruit from a dead body. Marco said it was due to Blackbeard’s unique body, something he had before eating the Dark fruit(for example in the flashback it was revealed he doesn’t/can’t sleep).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

RatHat posted:

Do you have the chapter for that? Because I reread that part a few weeks ago and I don’t remember him carrying any fruits.

Oh you meant the ability of having 2 fruit powers, not taking the fruit from a dead body. Marco said it was due to Blackbeard’s unique body, something he had before eating the Dark fruit(for example in the flashback it was revealed he doesn’t/can’t sleep).

I'm pretty sure that Blackbeard just ate some of Whitebeard. Like, that's how Big Mom got her fruit power.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

There's also that bit where Zoro and Luffy seem to get the idea that Blackbeard is multiple guys in one, or something like that.
I am looking forward to learning just what the heck is up with Teach, but I also like it as a weird creepy mystery.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Libra posted:

There's also that bit where Zoro and Luffy seem to get the idea that Blackbeard is multiple guys in one, or something like that.
I am looking forward to learning just what the heck is up with Teach, but I also like it as a weird creepy mystery.

They were talking about how Blackbeard wasn't alone, seeing as they'd already run into a couple of his crew members. If Jaya journey level Luffy and Zoro could tell that Blackbeard was some sort of multi-being then everyone would already know what was up. The Division Commanders, New World Captains, Admirals, Vice Admirals, and Sengoku wouldn't be baffled by Blackbeard using two fruits sense they would be able to tell at that point as well.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Jesus was that all the way back around the Jaya arc? That is way farther back than I thought.
It really has been a while.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm gonna be real surprised if Blackbeard's deal doesn't involve being more than one guy, but whatever it ends up being is going to be radical because this is One Piece

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Parrotine posted:

Wapol's been way ahead of the curve, playing four dimensional chess this whole time

Wapol's going to be the real end boss and Luffy's going to have to smash capitalism.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Libra posted:

Jesus was that all the way back around the Jaya arc? That is way farther back than I thought.
It really has been a while.

Yeah, it was just after Luffy and Blackbeard argued about cherry pies. Then Luffy and Zoro let Bellamy hit them a little before they left the shop. That's when Blackbeard did his little speech about Dreams and congratulated them on winning.

Chapter 225 is when they have their conversation about it not just being him. Then in 234 we find out that he's actually Blackbeard and get a spread with his present crew. Also the spread has a helpful normal sized dude in the frame to show that the whole crew is tall as all gently caress.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The art-based argument that blackbeard is hiding an identical twin in the darkness is the strongest one imo

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I just assumed whatever quality of Teach’s fruit that allows him to extract a fruit from a dead guy also allows him to keep one for himself instead of passing them along.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Teach just got lucky Anointed By Fate when he ate the Tremor Tremor and didn't blow up.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
yeah i mean being able to literally blackhole someone into your grasp and also they lose their power while in your grasp IS pretty strong vs fruit users so it could be just that. man blackbeard is cool and no matter what there's something fucky about him. multiple fruits is still to this point incredibly unique

Mister Olympus posted:

The art-based argument that blackbeard is hiding an identical twin in the darkness is the strongest one imo

kanjuro's recursive art-based art-based hints was pretty good so yeah stuff hidden in plain sight is definitely on the table

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 21, 2020

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

RatHat posted:

It was chapter 786/787. Burgess was planning to kill Luffy to take his fruit and he was carrying a bag that had a pattern that looked like the kind Devil Fruits have. We know that when a Devil Fruit user dies, the fruit power immediately goes to a nearby fruit, based on what happened in Punk Hazard. Sabo intervened, and Burgess changed plans to go after Sabo.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

So do we think Doflamingo came to Marineford with some extra fruits on the off chance a powerful devil fruit user died so he could snag their power? Or did the Mera-Mera just go to some nearby island with vegetation and one of his associates managed to snag it?

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I always figured the latter with how close dressrosa is to old marineford, why sit on the fruit for two years?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New chapter is officially out
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-983/chapter/20760?action=read

It's time for Yamato, and it looks like we might actually be getting a Carrot vs. Perospero rematch this arc

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I decided to give One Pace a go, and man I forgot how cool the group fight with Oars was. I'm on board with some kind of group effort against Kaido here.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm still going with the theory that Teach assimilated a twin in-utero, maybe even Rusty Venture style, and that assimilated twin is what lets him use more than one fruit.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I decided to give One Pace a go, and man I forgot how cool the group fight with Oars was. I'm on board with some kind of group effort against Kaido here.

The return of Pirate Docking!?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was thinking the other day that the Dark-Dark Fruit's ability to suppress Devil Fruits might have suppressed the deadly consequences of eating a second one as well--but from this page apparently I forgot about an implication that Blackbeard already seemed to have the power to consume a second Devil Fruit? There goes that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm still going with the theory that Teach assimilated a twin in-utero, maybe even Rusty Venture style, and that assimilated twin is what lets him use more than one fruit.

Let's go with the most simple, logical explanation: Nanomachines.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Imagine how sick it would be if BB stabbed his twin out of himself when the war started for a huge power boost

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Blackbeard is literally a parasitic beard and his human host can use both the beard's power and its own.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chapter is up, can't link on my phone.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Waffleman_ posted:

Chapter is up, can't link on my phone.

Julias posted:

New chapter is officially out
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-983/chapter/20760?action=read

It's time for Yamato, and it looks like we might actually be getting a Carrot vs. Perospero rematch this arc

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Also remember that Teach never sleeps for some reason.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

IceBorg posted:

Also remember that Teach never sleeps for some reason.

the guys just switch places

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think he has two (or three) souls. maybe it has something to do this his sisters (which were confirmed in a random magazine)

https://twitter.com/d_kumii/status/1205353279569444865

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

anime was right posted:

i think he has two (or three) souls. maybe it has something to do this his sisters (which were confirmed in a random magazine)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He was noted to never sleep during the Oden flashback, when he was still on Whitebeard's crew before obtaining the Yami-Yami. If he did have a twin brother to switch places with they must have been super sneaky to get away with it then.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

RatHat posted:

The thing is that Burgess in Dressarosa seemed to have the ability to do it too, since he was talking about killing Sabo and taking his fruit. Maybe he just meant he’d drag his corpse all the way back for Blackbeard to do it.

He was going to steal it by killing him and hoping it transferred into his bag full of fruits. It's why he travelled with a big ol sack of fruits I thought?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if Blackbeard does his fruit-stealing trick and then gives his crewmates the power like All For One or if they just capture fruit users and then kill them in proximity to a fruit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

It was chapter 786/787. Burgess was planning to kill Luffy to take his fruit and he was carrying a bag that had a pattern that looked like the kind Devil Fruits have. We know that when a Devil Fruit user dies, the fruit power immediately goes to a nearby fruit, based on what happened in Punk Hazard. Sabo intervened, and Burgess changed plans to go after Sabo.

Maybe when Vega Punk shows up he'll have a way to remove devil fruits without killing the person. Because I really want to see someone else being all excited to be a rubber man and have the power of Luffy, only to discover it's all but worthless without a decade plus of practice and idiot savant ingenuity. Then Luffy gets it back.

anime was right posted:

Nojiko's coming back into the story as an antagonist. Is orange juice thicker than blood?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Marco: He has a strange body

Marco again: He never sleeps

Dumbasses: its twins

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
My theory is that he is Diavolo who has really let himself go.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ryaomon posted:

Marco: He has a strange body

Marco again: He never sleeps

Dumbasses: its twins

:actually: It was Buggy that pointed out he didn’t sleep.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rohan Kishibe posted:

My theory is that he is Diavolo who has really let himself go.

Wow, Diavolo grew a personality in addition to like 250 pounds, good on him.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
Have they ever shown the consequences of eating two fruits? In filler or anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Jumley posted:

Have they ever shown the consequences of eating two fruits? In filler or anything else?

If what we were told in Enies Lobby is accurate, death by explosion.