Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok, new annoyance: just unlocked oil, and made it to the 2 pure nodes closest to me. Dropped a good 1500 concrete building a foundation-as-road out over the water to try and create an easy path back and forth, but now I've got about 2.5km of power and pipes from the oil patches to home base, through some of the most hostile territory re: wildlife I've encountered yet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ok, new annoyance: just unlocked oil, and made it to the 2 pure nodes closest to me. Dropped a good 1500 concrete building a foundation-as-road out over the water to try and create an easy path back and forth, but now I've got about 2.5km of power and pipes from the oil patches to home base, through some of the most hostile territory re: wildlife I've encountered yet :(

my advice is: don't try to ship oil, except perhaps in trains. Construct things on-site at the oil location, and then ship the finished products home

or don't ship them and learn how to build hypertube cannons

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

my advice is: don't try to ship oil, except perhaps in trains. Construct things on-site at the oil location, and then ship the finished products home

or don't ship them and learn how to build hypertube cannons

yeah, one way or another I'm gonna have to run some combination of pipes/conveyors/power cables out there and uuuuugh

I was hoping I could just brute-force a foundation-road all the way around all the killer monsters over the water, but without a map it's really loving hard.

e: I don't have trains or the resources for a truck/depots yet, and the thought of lugging back a tractor full of plastic/rubber a bunch of times makes me want to die right now

e2: fuuuuuck, I've got so much more to go :smith:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 21, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

How far along is this game's development? It looks right up my alley but I don't have much patience for early access any more.

I'd say there is at least 100 hours gameplay to build up to the max tier currently. You can do it faster with experience and determination, but semi-casual play is def. on that order. And yeah there's very clear hooks to snap a story on to, but the story isn't there yet. I'd wager at least a year more before the story is released.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah, one way or another I'm gonna have to run some combination of pipes/conveyors/power cables out there and uuuuugh

I was hoping I could just brute-force a foundation-road all the way around all the killer monsters over the water, but without a map it's really loving hard.

e: I don't have trains or the resources for a truck/depots yet, and the thought of lugging back a tractor full of plastic/rubber a bunch of times makes me want to die right now

Getting a good bit into the quartz research tree unlocks the map. Worst case scenario you could just aim a road at your hub marker.

I'm thinking you should set up refineries at the oil, start making stuff, then funnel each product into a chain of 2-3 industrial storage. Buy you some time to get a conveyor belt all the way through, and when you unlock trains you can just swap over to that.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Anyone know how to read crash logs? Since yestaday it crashes almost every time. Is it a mod I'm using?
code:
Version: 124884, IsEditor: No, IsPerforceBuild: No, BuildConfiguration: Shipping, Launcher: Epic, NetMode: Listen Server, IsUsingMods: Yes

Assertion failed: Index < SizeX * SizeY [File:D:\ws\SB-200518130817-657\UE4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneOcclusion.cpp] [Line: 713]

FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FWindowsErrorOutputDevice::Serialize() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowserroroutputdevice.cpp:79]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FOutputDevice::LogfImpl() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:71]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!AssertFailedImplV() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:101]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FDebug::CheckVerifyFailedImpl() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:439]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FHZBOcclusionTester::AddBounds() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\sceneocclusion.cpp:713]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FetchVisibilityForPrimitives_Range<1>() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenevisibility.cpp:990]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FetchVisibilityForPrimitives() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenevisibility.cpp:1403]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!OcclusionCull() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenevisibility.cpp:1567]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FSceneRenderer::ComputeViewVisibility() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenevisibility.cpp:3636]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::InitViews() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenevisibility.cpp:3992]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\deferredshadingrenderer.cpp:875]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!RenderViewFamily_RenderThread() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenerendering.cpp:3184]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<`FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily'::`26'::FDrawSceneCommandName,<lambda_13a1ff49dc664b9274f9774778986c3a> > >::ExecuteTask() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:842]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:581]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!RenderingThreadMain() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:333]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FRenderingThread::Run() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:464]
FactoryGame_Win64_Shipping!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\ws\sb-200518130817-657\ue4\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:96]

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't think it's possible to determine the exact cause from that log. It's due to something potentially drawn on screen, that's potentially occluded by a wall, is my guess. Do you have any modded walls built?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I fixed it, turned out to be the Refined Power mod. I rolled back a version.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Getting a good bit into the quartz research tree unlocks the map. Worst case scenario you could just aim a road at your hub marker.

By road do you just mean laying down foundations?

Also, how do trains work? I don't have them quite unlocked, but will I need to build a loop, or can they go back and forth on a single track?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:smithicide:

2x-wide foundation coastal highway, running power now.

Debating if I want to add a 3rd "lane" so I can snap the conveyor/pipe/eventual hypertube support stack to it, but I probably won't. I've also more-or-less given up on putting railings the whole way.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 21, 2020

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oxyclean posted:

Also, how do trains work? I don't have them quite unlocked, but will I need to build a loop, or can they go back and forth on a single track?

Phone posting so it's harder to link videos, but the truck tutorial i linked last page has an accompanying train tutorial. Short answer is you can do both.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Important thing when you do a linear track is to have the terminus station arrows pointing towards the dead end of the track, i.e. the direction the train goes when it arrives at the station. If you don't the trains will become confused and do nothing. The xhibit or whatever vid probably touches on that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oxyclean posted:

You need a loop, but you can just loop back onto the same track. Trains don't collide with each other, so you can just have one track between stations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

You need a loop, but you can just loop back onto the same track. Trains don't collide with each other, so you can just have one track between stations.

You don't need a loop, but then you instead need locomotives in both ends of the train.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
I wish there were a right-angle mode for conveyer placement that would automatically turn any (well, most) run of conveyers into a series of 90-degree turns, like the vertical pipe-laying mode does for upward runs of pipe. Ninety-degree conveyer turns look much neater to me than angled runs, but I always get frustrated trying to line up the turn radii by hand with conveyer poles. Sometimes I use splitters to get a perfect ninety, but that ends up just looking messy.

That's my excuse for why my factories look like trash piles, anyway. Insufficient tools.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you do a locomotive on each side would you need to have 2 stops per station? Or would 1 station work, regardless of which locomotive was moving?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

You need two stops for non terminus stations if you want the train to stop there in both directions. The direction of the station indicates which travel direction can stop there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I've still never messed with trucks, the klugey nature of them makes me not want to. All the time screwing around making paths and setting up a depot away from your base so it doesn't glitch or hog CPU power, it's like just build a conveyor. Hopefully they'll make all the forms of transport more viable later, but for now, other than just for fun, I can't see myself using trucks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/c8ivxn/satisfactory_saturday_spam_7_train_setups/

this seems to be a very straightforward visual guide of how train stations work.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also I really wish stackable supports snapped to existing lines. It basically means if I want to double up on an existing line, I have to build the support, delete the old line, and rebuild it so it snaps into the support. It's a massive waste of time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Why is it at 1%? This is driving me nuts! :)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

How far along is this game's development? It looks right up my alley but I don't have much patience for early access any more.

Besides the story parts completely missing at this point, everything up to Tier 5 (first 60 or so hours of gameplay) seems well-balanced and ready-to-ship quality. Tiers 6-7 are there but they have some issues and only one completely missing is Tier 8 (probably 9 and 10 also?).

After that the alpha nature starts to show through the seams; there are world items that do nothing, dialogue that tells you to do stuff that goes nowhere, badly balanced items, research trees that are pointless, world items that do nothing, designs that could be improved (easy mode starting area that actually is *easy* for starters, automated harvesters for biomass, automated biogenerators, fabric that can be automated without winning the alt-recipe lottery), and the vehicle AI seems to start to go crazy after certain amount of complexity is introduced.

Small things really, but the game clearly needs more playtesting, user feedback and work at the "latter midpoint", and the "endgame" does not actually exist.

I'd say as is it is definitely worth the 20 EUR or so it costs, but the game is only like 60-70% there.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 21, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mayveena posted:

Why is it at 1%? This is driving me nuts! :)

The efficiency display is sometimes misleading, I've found. It's a running average over a decent large period of time--was the output conveyer blocked for a while before this?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

The efficiency display is sometimes misleading, I've found. It's a running average over a decent large period of time--was the output conveyer blocked for a while before this?

As said, its a running average per product "ticks", so that product line is having issues, or if you just had power outage that seems to throw output average off for some time, especially with slow-ticking products.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yes I had a power outage for a bit, but a lot of the machines show somewhere near what I'd expect. I guess some do and some don't.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I finally found quartz but I had to scale a sheer cliff face to get to it. Now if I want to run product back to base I need to somehow ramp a conveyor belt back down and I'm not seeing a good way to expand downward. Ramp blocks don't click together and walls dont build downward easily.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I finally found quartz but I had to scale a sheer cliff face to get to it. Now if I want to run product back to base I need to somehow ramp a conveyor belt back down and I'm not seeing a good way to expand downward. Ramp blocks don't click together and walls dont build downward easily.

Stackable conveyor poles! They have ladders on the side to let you go up and down, and you can thread conveyor lifts through them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Vertical conveyors can be made, or do what you should do and that is build a walk way of foundation blocks from your base all the way out there, at the height of the cliff, and build a level conveyor back to the base, then drop it down. My base is surrounded by 2000m walkways/paths/conveyors going to all manner of resources.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you have the awesome sink yet? There are double side ramps available for purchase that let you build from above to go down.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

Stackable conveyor poles! They have ladders on the side to let you go up and down, and you can thread conveyor lifts through them.

Not a bad idea, ill feel out if that seems practical.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Vertical conveyors can be made, or do what you should do and that is build a walk way of foundation blocks from your base all the way out there, at the height of the cliff, and build a level conveyor back to the base, then drop it down. My base is surrounded by 2000m walkways/paths/conveyors going to all manner of resources.

How far can those drop? When I tried that it looked like it would only go about 50 feet down or so.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How far can those drop? When I tried that it looked like it would only go about 50 feet down or so.

pretty far, but you can connect multiple of them for any distance

I can't get into my game rn, but you have to make them face each other, output to input, and step them down like that. The direction a vertical conveyor goes is determined by which way you pull it when you're expanding it, so start at the top of the cliff, build a down and away conveyor, the next one will be facing that one, drag it down, the next one will b e facing away from the cliff...etc.

e, lol I found a pic of it on the wiki

You can rotate the output opening with the scroll wheel btw.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 21, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You can connect lifts to lifts and make huge spines of conveyors.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I think I got quartz from the same cliff. What I did was, starting at the bottom, float straight up with the jetpack and built a tower of 4M foundation under me. Afterwards I made a ramp spiral around the tower. For conveyors, I pulled a conveyor lift as far down as it'd go and then snapped another lift onto it. It took 4 or 5 lifts to reach the bottom.

Seeing it suggested, the stackable conveyor supports is maybe an easier solution.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This is how I do it. I start from the top, because I'm obsessed with making things look as proper as possible, and I find it's easiest from the top. If you just want to get a loving elevator going, starting from the bottom might be easier.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
OK, I dont have the jetpack yet but I just built the infinity plank and will try the lift daisy chain. Thanks all.

Edit: Now I realized I need to figure out how to run power up the chain. Sigh.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 21, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

John Pastor posted:

I wish there were a right-angle mode for conveyer placement that would automatically turn any (well, most) run of conveyers into a series of 90-degree turns, like the vertical pipe-laying mode does for upward runs of pipe. Ninety-degree conveyer turns look much neater to me than angled runs, but I always get frustrated trying to line up the turn radii by hand with conveyer poles. Sometimes I use splitters to get a perfect ninety, but that ends up just looking messy.

That's my excuse for why my factories look like trash piles, anyway. Insufficient tools.

If you lay down foundations first, then put your conveyor supports on top, I think it'll do what you want. Having a foundation underneath locks the rotation down to 45 degree increments.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

OK, I dont have the jetpack yet but I just built the infinity plank and will try the lift daisy chain. Thanks all.

Edit: Now I realized I need to figure out how to run power up the chain. Sigh.

Lines run as long vertically as they do horizontally, and you often overestimate vertical distances. Also, you can place poles on the top of lifts.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yeah just put power poles on the lifts. It’s a little finicky to get it in there but it’ll work.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I keep getting stuck in trees and assorted clutter. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't keep happening while I was trying to get to my body and so don't have my chainsaw and explosives on me.

They really need to fix that. I'm astonished there aren't more negative reviews just because of it. It happens to me at least once an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How are you getting stuck?